Three Little Birds On The OL (Speculation + Optimism)

Schadie001

Reaction score
Many seem to be in panic mode concerning the oline, without considering what our team has done the past 3 years with complete nobodies anchoring the line. Cable has not had the benefit that many other position coaches do by having great players. We are and will continue to be a run first team because you can take nobody linemen and make them average run blockers. We played one our most complete games against a very tough defense in our last game of the regular season against Arizona without sweezy and okung and ran for 145 yards without lynch and Rawls. As the OP I agree many are going to be going crazy when you here a DT or DB called in the first couple rounds in the draft. I very well could be wrong but our MO is not to draft who everyone thinks we will. Just saying...we stretch for the guy we want rather than what the "experts" say and thats what JS/PC get paid to do. Having a strong running game and a mobile QB has given them the flexibility to spend and draft elsewhere. I don't see it changing.

Zorn76

Reaction score
"Between Gilliam and Sowell battling it out at LT, I'm comfortable with the winner of that battle starting for us."

There's also a very good chance that neither of these guys win the starting job. When all is said and done, I think Pete will have a different option penciled in there. Still plenty of time between now and September to work on it. FA, draft, and players cut elsewhere will all figure prominently, and it could be argued that none will be any worse than the Gilliam/Sowell option to begin with.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
firebee":3a05x3lx said:
I had Three Little Birds talk to me about the OL today and they said "Don't worry about a thing cause every little thing is gonna be alright". No namebrand linemen have been brought in to be penciled in as starters and I'm kind of thinking we won't take an OT in the 1st like many expect us to. I'm expecting my fellow 12s to have a complete meltdown, but I'm going to listen to these three little birds sing a sweet song that is pure and true. I think they were saying this message is for you.

Between Gilliam and Sowell battling it out at LT, I'm comfortable with the winner of that battle starting for us. Ignore the PFF statistics. Ignore the negativity. Both Sowell and Gilliam got off to a rough start when they were thrown into a starting role, which caused their PFF statistics to nosedive right off the bat. What PFF statistics don't show is how they progressed. Both progressed extremely well as starters and both were very solid by the end of the season when they started. Whoever wins the start at LT will be locked in by the end of preseason and both of them have fared well against elite competition in the NFL when they're locked in. I think Webb's best shot is at RT, but maybe he surprises at LT, and I don't see us moving anybody that's over 6'6" to the inside, so just forget about Webb on the inside. Russell Wilson has to see over the line and putting a 6'7"+ lineman on the interior doesn't help that cause. Look for our staff to keep the interior height below 6'6".

As for the draft... I think a lot of 12s are going to be disappointed, but don't worry about a thing cause' every little thing is gonna be alright. I'm not sold on us taking an OT early. In consideration of the measurables, SPARQ and the schools our FO seems to target in the draft; my gut feeling tells me we're targeting Stephane Nembot out of Colorado, who's projected as a 6th or 7th round pick on most draft boards. Size, length, athleticism, demeanor, converted DE, and the program he comes from makes him the most likely target for us at OT when I look at the OTs in this draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go Ryan Kelly with our 1st pick, Connor McGovern in the 2nd or 3rd round and Stephane Nembot on the 3rd day to round out the depth and competition on our offensive line. All 3 players fit the mold we look for at the positions they're slotted at and all 3 come from programs that are system-friendly to our coaching staff.

I realize that no namebrand players is sending a vast majority of the 12s into a complete meltdown when it comes to the offensive line, but I like the direction our line is heading. By the time training camps roll around; we'll have Gilliam, Sowell and Webb competing for the start at left tackle. The losers of the battle at LT will be competing for the start at RT with Connor McGovern and Stephane Nembot. McGovern is likely a better fit for guard and his length isn't perfect for RT, but I could see our FO overlooking his length if he excels at RT. Then we'll have Lewis, Kelly and Pericak competing for the start at Center. If Lewis wins out at Center, Kelly and Pericak can compete with Glowinski, Britt, Sokoli and McGovern for the start at guard on either side. We have a ton of youth and a ton of depth on the line heading into the training camps. This is better than having a few penciled in guys with minimal depth competing for the start heading into preseason. Their is no upside in a unit with minimal depth and penciled in starters. That's a stagnant unit.

As of right now, I'm kind of thinking we'll end up with Gilliam or Sowell at LT, Britt or Glowinski at LG, Lewis or Kelly at Center, McGovern or Sokoli at RG and Webb or Nembot at RT. Of course... Training camps could tell us a different story, but this seems like the most likely scenario based on who we have and the tendencies of our FO in the draft . I just hope they find good fits before preseason, so they can start working the guys into their positions during preseason and let them develop some continuity before the regular season hits. If our staff can determine where these guys are best fit to play heading into the preseason and just use preseason to develop some continuity and let them settle in, I see us looking real good on the line heading into the regular season. Lots of quality depth, youth and athleticism. People just need to sit back, listen to the Three Little Birds and trust the process. Every little thing is gonna be alright.
I like your faith but don't be mad that I disagree, especially about the draft. We're probably going to draft boring OL and risky bullshit like usual.

McGruff

Reaction score
firebee":39uib6yf said:
McGruff":39uib6yf said:
I appreciate the thought process and effort, and I love me some firebee, but man was that a condescending post . . . Trust the three little birds?

No one in the NFL throws over the line. Every offense is more or less based on creating passing lanes to throw over.

And Nembot LOOKS like an NFL tackle, but neither plays or tests like one. I was high on him based on prototype size and physique and was even willing to overlook sketchy tape because he's pretty new to football as a foreign born prospect. But then his combine drills? He isn't nearly as athletic as his frame suggests.

Agree Nembot is very raw and I would agree with you based on his combine performance, but he ran a lot better at his Pro Day... Significantly better. Won't push his stock up too much on the typical boards and can be overlooked, but it does verify his athleticism to those who are interested in him. Also... I didn't say Wilson needs shorter lineman to throw over. I know passing lanes are the foundation in just about every offense, but the QB still has to see over the lineman to hit the targets accurately when they're entering the passing lanes, making taller lineman problematic for a shorter QB. Last, but not least... How is that a condescending post, other than pointing out the fact that a vast majority of the 12s are going into a complete meltdown because we haven't signed a namebrand player to our offensive line... Do you even Bob Marley bro?

I admit to not getting the reference. That helps clarify.

I will say this. No one should've been surprised with letting Sweezy and Okung walk. This team largely let's aging and midlevel players walk. There are a few exceptions, but those usually come at bargain level prices (Kearse is a good example). We re-sign elite players. And Okung and Sweezy were not elite players.

The team believes in its ability to coach raw players to middling results. And it's hard to argue with a top 10 offense and top 5 running game pretty much since they got here.

mrt144

Reaction score
McGruff":37s9jy0v said:
firebee":37s9jy0v said:
McGruff":37s9jy0v said:
I appreciate the thought process and effort, and I love me some firebee, but man was that a condescending post . . . Trust the three little birds?

No one in the NFL throws over the line. Every offense is more or less based on creating passing lanes to throw over.

And Nembot LOOKS like an NFL tackle, but neither plays or tests like one. I was high on him based on prototype size and physique and was even willing to overlook sketchy tape because he's pretty new to football as a foreign born prospect. But then his combine drills? He isn't nearly as athletic as his frame suggests.

Agree Nembot is very raw and I would agree with you based on his combine performance, but he ran a lot better at his Pro Day... Significantly better. Won't push his stock up too much on the typical boards and can be overlooked, but it does verify his athleticism to those who are interested in him. Also... I didn't say Wilson needs shorter lineman to throw over. I know passing lanes are the foundation in just about every offense, but the QB still has to see over the lineman to hit the targets accurately when they're entering the passing lanes, making taller lineman problematic for a shorter QB. Last, but not least... How is that a condescending post, other than pointing out the fact that a vast majority of the 12s are going into a complete meltdown because we haven't signed a namebrand player to our offensive line... Do you even Bob Marley bro?

I admit to not getting the reference. That helps clarify.

I will say this. No one should've been surprised with letting Sweezy and Okung walk. This team largely let's aging and midlevel players walk. There are a few exceptions, but those usually come at bargain level prices (Kearse is a good example). We re-sign elite players. And Okung and Sweezy were not elite players.

The team believes in its ability to coach raw players to middling results. And it's hard to argue with a top 10 offense and top 5 running game pretty much since they got here.

Exactly - if you've been following since 2010, the MO is let everyone but the cream of the crop walk, no matter how much better they are than replacement at the moment.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well I would start out by disagreeing about the draft. The way this draft shakes out, it looks like Tackle is where the value in the talent falls to us. No elite 3t DT, not even a very good edge rusher is going to fall to us for value at that position. We might even trade back, but I think we see a pretty decent OT fall to us and we finally grab him.

As for the other stuff, I won't make an assumptions about the rest of the OL. I will say that signing two veteran guys will be better than we started last year, just in terms of experience.

acbass

Reaction score
My thought is that the o-line couldn't possibly be much worse than they were this past year. I keep thinking they are gonna pull a trade at some point.

chris98251

Reaction score
I have learned that when you say it can't get much worse you have set the bar to high, lets just hope that we seen very bad and that the statements to correct it come to pass.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
acbass":l759679a said:
My thought is that the o-line couldn't possibly be much worse than they were this past year. I keep thinking they are gonna pull a trade at some point.

Not just this past year. Mostly due to injury the O-line has never been better than below average since Pete arrived.

Last year was worse for a combination of reasons. Trying out Nowak at center with zero experience was bad but I think Lewis was injured at yhat point anyway. Then add to the lack of experience and cohesion the worst possible line up of defenses we faced all year all came in the first half of the season.

Take out Lynch, no blocking TE and Tukuafu who is below average and you have a recipe for disaster and that is what we got.

We still need a good blocking TE and an upgrade to Tukuafu but at worst we have Lewis with some experience and hopefully the schedulers don't set us up for failure again like last year.

I don't know where we're going with the line moves made so far but I know where we have been and a change of scenery was absoluteluly necessary.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/712349658425626625[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/712346761566642176[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/712346612169723905[/tweet]

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2mda93vz said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/712349658425626625[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/712346761566642176[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/712346612169723905[/tweet]

Crazy huh... It's almost like I have a wire planted in John Schneider's office.