How much longer is the world gonna pretend Wilson is elite?

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
getnasty":1s3rt7sy said:
Russ is elite, there's really not doubt about that. The one area that i think he needs to be better to is changing the play at the line. I've never understood why he doesn't do this more often. He almost seems to ok with just going with things most of the time. I feel like you watch Brees, Manning, Brady, Rodgers and you see those guys change damn near every play.
How would you know when he does or doesn't change a play? What are you using to back up that statement?

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
RCATES":28unot9r said:
If Russ is Elite lets see if we get bounced again at Home and in the playoffs again...................Inb4 its the O-Line or the O-Cord yata yata yata. Elite QB's overcome and win. Look how many years Brady has won with no names at WR and RB.
No they don't and using 1 guy, Brady, doesn't prove they do.

John63

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":2ypbgayj said:
RCATES":2ypbgayj said:
If Russ is Elite lets see if we get bounced again at Home and in the playoffs again...................Inb4 its the O-Line or the O-Cord yata yata yata. Elite QB's overcome and win. Look how many years Brady has won with no names at WR and RB.
No they don't and using 1 guy, Brady, doesn't prove they do.

Still waiting doe these years were Brady did it with nothing, no top oline, no Tyne fame, no wrs, no defense. Still waiting for an example of one of those years.

John63

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":3rxkvkuv said:
getnasty":3rxkvkuv said:
Russ is elite, there's really not doubt about that. The one area that i think he needs to be better to is changing the play at the line. I've never understood why he doesn't do this more often. He almost seems to ok with just going with things most of the time. I feel like you watch Brees, Manning, Brady, Rodgers and you see those guys change damn near every play.
How would you know when he does or doesn't change a play? What are you using to back up that statement?

He doesn't, he is just talking hoping a few will agree and he can peddle his factless theory.

justafan

Reaction score
John63":126dhhgd said:
Sgt. Largent":126dhhgd said:
Fade":126dhhgd said:
getnasty":126dhhgd said:

Hard to change the play when he gets under center with 5-7 seconds on the play clock.

He seems to do just fine in hurry up when he is calling his own plays.

Probably my biggest pet peeve of our offensive scheme and playcalling, not enough tempo and pace.

Russell is one of the biggest rhythm and tempo QB's in the league, yet Pete loves his slow plodding time clock sucking ball control offense.

With how well Russell thrives and succeeds in 2 and 4 minute offenses, not sure why Pete and Schotty don't let him do that more often. Nothing drives me crazier then after we get a turnover or big momentum shifting type play and here comes two straight hand offs with the ball snapped with one second on the play clock.

Like last week after we blocked the punt. Great time to get out of the huddle quickly and take a shot? Nope, two straight hand offs for losses.

Dumb.

The first drive last week is a great example. They kept changing the Candace, they had layered routes, and we scored easily. After that, back to the old, run, run, every go long.

Except it really didnt happen that way. We were gashing them with the run which made the offense click. When we were down to Homer the game changed. Wilson threw a lot of short passes.The run run pass narrative is old and flat out untrue. We ran on the first 2 downs 3 times. We had 3rd and 1 twice and 3rd and 5 once. Nothing wrong with that. We probably should have tried it more often.

Even after the blocked fg we ran,passed for 10 leaving us 3rd and 3 with two downs to get it. A loss on the 3rd down run killed it. Its an obvious passing down. They ran it hoping for at least 2 setting up 4th and 1. Option to run or throw. Its an easy play sequence to understand if you dont have an ax to grind.

Our drives were killed with fumbles,penalties and poor execution by the many players including Wilson IMO. Take a look at the drive charts instead of making stuff up. We threw a lot of short passes. Wilson is elite but he makes mistakes just like every other human being.

And can we please delete or stop with the advertisements for twits from the twittersphere. If people on this site care what Mina Kimes or Geoff Schartz think we can go to them and send them likes,hearts, kissy face emojis and thumbs up and all that. Follow them if you like but they are still just corporate talking heads who may or may not follow the Hawks.

thegameq

Reaction score
John63":2ryeo2np said:
thegameq":2ryeo2np said:
Russell will never be elite to some because they are visually comparing him to Brees, Brady, etc. In reality they are comparing him to the offensive oriented system those quarterbacks are in.

The real question is why after all these years will Pete not build this team around Russell? What the Seahawks could be if they built this team around Russell?

To be fair or play devil's advocate--other than Pete enforcing his philosophy, does he see tendencies or deficiencies in Russell's game that make him hesitate to build around Russell? Are we not seeing what the coaches see or know about Russell's game? Yes we see Russell make the big splash plays but when was the last time we saw Russell take apart a defense with the surgical precision of Brees, Brady, etc.?

These are interesting points however PC made it clear when he got here before Wilson the system he wanted to run, and he has shown he is going to stick with it for the most part. ON the occasions they have morphed the offense around Wilson it has worked well. IF anything I can see base don last game and PCs comments that it has been more about the in ability of our oline to protect him.

Given we have seen Wilson perform in a system more built for him, most of 2015, games throughout the last few years, we know he can. We have also seen him in College in different systems perform well. We know PC wants to run his system.

This is pretty simple to me you have a coach who is going to run his system period. So coaches are like that adn it appears PC is one of them.

Now ass to your surgical person thing, one the system we use does not do that, so it would have to have been on those off times PC runs a different system.

That said just this year I can say
Pittsburgh 29/35 3 tds 130.9 rating
TB 29/43 5 tds 133.7
I can go on he has done it when allowed to do it. However, those games were early on in the season when the run game was not working as well. Once the run game started working well the game plan changed.

To me the actual EVIDENCE shows this is PC wanting to run his system and an oline that cannot protect. Now why because PC has said this, so that make sit open-and-shut,

It does keep coming back to Pete doesn't it? So much of the angst concerning this team would go away if PC would just adapt better or faster to in game situations. But doing things his way was a stipulation for him to take the job here...so yeah.

thegameq

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":2kb89tog said:
getnasty":2kb89tog said:

I believe it was revealed some time ago that Russ has 3 plays he gets to chose from if he audibles. Of course he's limited to the formation, package, etc. on the field at the time.

John63

Reaction score
justafan":2x95enkj said:
John63":2x95enkj said:
Sgt. Largent":2x95enkj said:
Fade":2x95enkj said:
Hard to change the play when he gets under center with 5-7 seconds on the play clock.

He seems to do just fine in hurry up when he is calling his own plays.

Probably my biggest pet peeve of our offensive scheme and playcalling, not enough tempo and pace.

Russell is one of the biggest rhythm and tempo QB's in the league, yet Pete loves his slow plodding time clock sucking ball control offense.

With how well Russell thrives and succeeds in 2 and 4 minute offenses, not sure why Pete and Schotty don't let him do that more often. Nothing drives me crazier then after we get a turnover or big momentum shifting type play and here comes two straight hand offs with the ball snapped with one second on the play clock.

Like last week after we blocked the punt. Great time to get out of the huddle quickly and take a shot? Nope, two straight hand offs for losses.

Dumb.

The first drive last week is a great example. They kept changing the Candace, they had layered routes, and we scored easily. After that, back to the old, run, run, every go long.

Except it really didnt happen that way. We were gashing them with the run which made the offense click. When we were down to Homer the game changed. Wilson threw a lot of short passes.The run run pass narrative is old and flat out untrue. We ran on the first 2 downs 3 times. We had 3rd and 1 twice and 3rd and 5 once. Nothing wrong with that. We probably should have tried it more often.

Even after the blocked fg we ran,passed for 10 leaving us 3rd and 3 with two downs to get it. A loss on the 3rd down run killed it. Its an obvious passing down. They ran it hoping for at least 2 setting up 4th and 1. Option to run or throw. Its an easy play sequence to understand if you dont have an ax to grind.

Our drives were killed with fumbles,penalties and poor execution by the many players including Wilson IMO. Take a look at the drive charts instead of making stuff up. We threw a lot of short passes. Wilson is elite but he makes mistakes just like every other human being.

And can we please delete or stop with the advertisements for twits from the twittersphere. If people on this site c

are what Mina Kimes or Geoff Schartz think we can go to them and send them likes,hearts, kissy face emojis and thumbs up and all that. Follow them if you like but they are still just corporate talking heads who may or may not follow the Hawks.

Nice right up but in correct. Yes we ran first series we also passed 4 of each in fact. That does not change the the fact they changed cadence even the announcers said it. Does not change the fact there were layered routes also something the announcers said. Also does not change that after that they did indeed go back to running and passing long as also the announcers commented on. At least till they had no choice but it was to late. So thanks for taking the time to comment but what I said stands.

John63

Reaction score
thegameq":1jl0fi3t said:
OrangeGravy":1jl0fi3t said:
getnasty":1jl0fi3t said:

I believe it was revealed some time ago that Russ has 3 plays he gets to chose from if he audibles. Of course he's limited to the formation, package, etc. on the field at the time.

Except in the hurry up o uptempo were it's all Wilson and funny enough we always move and score hmm.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
The Arizona game was ugly so I understand the frustration. We have 11 wins and we looked like dogcrap.,

John63

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2rhz7b36 said:
The Arizona game was ugly so I understand the frustration. We have 11 wins and we looked like dogcrap.,

In most of them we did, and it almost always comes down to game plan, design and lack of adjustments.

justafan

Reaction score
John63":3gxlv5jr said:
justafan":3gxlv5jr said:
John63":3gxlv5jr said:
Sgt. Largent":3gxlv5jr said:

Dumb.

And can we please delete or stop with the advertisements for twits from the twittersphere. If people on this site c

are what Mina Kimes or Geoff Schartz think we can go to them and send them likes,hearts, kissy face emojis and thumbs up and all that. Follow them if you like but they are still just corporate talking heads who may or may not follow the Hawks.

Nice right up but in correct. Yes we ran first series we also passed 4 of each in fact. That does not change the the fact they changed cadence even the announcers said it. Does not change the fact there were layered routes also something the announcers said. Also does not change that after that they did indeed go back to running and passing long as also the announcers commented on. At least till they had no choice but it was to late. So thanks for taking the time to comment but what I said stands.

Everybody played with precision except that damn cadence beat us. You cant really see the routes on TV so you really dont have any idea of the route concepts. They almost always have layers for the QB to read. From the stands you can see it. Unfortunately it was one of the few games I went to this year.
You spout alot of BS and try passing it as fact because you have an ax to grind. Its not just the facts, you seem to make up words also.

John63

Reaction score
justafan":3p2efcii said:
John63":3p2efcii said:
justafan":3p2efcii said:
John63":3p2efcii said:

Everybody played with precision except that damn cadence beat us. You cant really see the routes on TV so you really dont have any idea of the route concepts. They almost always have layers for the QB to read. From the stands you can see it. Unfortunately it was one of the few games I went to this year.
You spout alot of BS and try passing it as fact because you have an ax to grind. Its not just the facts, you seem to make up words also.

Lol yeah that's why the announcers said everyone was deep even when we needed just 3. That's why Huard said it. As to my spewing things that are not facts, ahh well the issue is they are facts that's why the announcers kept saying it.

BASF

Reaction score
John63":x7llb6qf said:
TB 29/43 5 tds 133.7
I can go on he has done it when allowed to do it. However, those games were early on in the season when the run game was not working as well. Once the run game started working well the game plan changed.

At least use games where our run game did not contribute.

Pittsburgh 27/129 1TD 4.8ypc
Tampa Bay 21/124 0TD 5.9ypc

Even if you take out the splash plays (you don't get splash plays without the little gains setting up the defense for a small modification and suddenly your back is off to the races), you still get over 3ypc. That is how the NFL works. This is not college where teams consistently run for 4 or more yards on each handoff.

Also, please get yourself access to the All 22. It is only $20 right now, and it will alleviate a lot of this layered routes talk. There are maybe three or four pass plays a game where we run two receivers deep with one outlet short and max protect. Even if you take that against the lowest amount of pass attempts Wilson made this season (twenty against the Bengals) that is eighty percent of the times were we have layered routes.

John63

Reaction score
BASF":2okjzo9k said:
John63":2okjzo9k said:
TB 29/43 5 tds 133.7

At least use games where our run game did not contribute.

Pittsburgh 27/129 1TD 4.8ypc
Tampa Bay 21/124 0TD 5.9ypc

Even if you take out the splash plays (you don't get splash plays without the little gains setting up the defense for a small modification and suddenly your back is off to the races), you still get over 3ypc. That is how the NFL works. This is not college where teams consistently run for 4 or more yards on each handoff.

Also, please get yourself access to the All 22. It is only $20 right now, and it will alleviate a lot of this layered routes talk. There are maybe three or four pass plays a game where we run two receivers deep with one outlet short and max protect. Even if you take that against the lowest amount of pass attempts Wilson made this season (twenty against the Bengals) that is eighty percent of the times were we have layered routes.

LOL it took you almost 2 months to reply LOL, Ahh not sure what point you are making, you cherry picked part of my post, I was showing game were we ran a different system, I can point to the 2nd half of almost any game too, as Huard another have said. So good for you, wasted post that really did nothing, as I will always take experts over fans with agendas.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This post is the equivalent of farting into a room and then leaving the poor souls inside of the room to discuss their misfortune. Not a single reply from the OP.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3tq4u5xq said:
This post is the equivalent of farting into a room and then leaving the poor souls inside of the room to discuss their misfortune. Not a single reply from the OP.

Hmm good point and he supposedly joined in 2015 but only 19 posts HMM

BASF

Reaction score
John63":r5n5agce said:
LOL it took you almost 2 months to reply

You are the one that posted the link yesterday, inviting others to review it.

John63":r5n5agce said:
Ahh not sure what point you are making, you cherry picked part of my post, I was showing game were we ran a different system, I can point to the 2nd half of almost any game too, as Huard another have said. So good for you, wasted post that really did nothing, as I will always take experts over fans with agendas.

My point was that you are misrepresenting things in your post. The run game was doing just as well early in the season as it was the second half of the season until the injuries to the linemen and backs. It is the same with misrepresenting that we do not run route combinations with layers. If you actually look at film, you will see it, instead of taking "experts" who are doing their best to generate viewers, word for it.

John63

Reaction score
BASF":db4nej3x said:
John63":db4nej3x said:
LOL it took you almost 2 months to reply

You are the one that posted the link yesterday, inviting others to review it.

John63":db4nej3x said:
Ahh not sure what point you are making, you cherry picked part of my post, I was showing game were we ran a different system, I can point to the 2nd half of almost any game too, as Huard another have said. So good for you, wasted post that really did nothing, as I will always take experts over fans with agendas.

My point was that you are misrepresenting things in your post. The run game was doing just as well early in the season as it was the second half of the season until the injuries to the linemen and backs. It is the same with misrepresenting that we do not run route combinations with layers. If you actually look at film, you will see it, instead of taking "experts" who are doing their best to generate viewers, word for it.

No I am not misrepresenting anything, the point was Wilson can kill it with or without a run game

That said Run game doing well early in the season lets see, not counting Wilsons running

Game one 64 yards 3 ypc yeah that is great NOT
Game 2 now here we did well, noone over 100 yards but 130 total and 4.7 ypc
Game 3 57 yards, 3 ypc NOT GOOD
Game 4 108 good, 4.3 ypc good

So first 4 a mix bag 2 good 2 bag, does not change what I meant by the system though, the reality is we struggled early first qtr of the season, then picked it up, and then struggled late. None of which changes my point which was Wilson can perform with or without a run game and has proven it.

And FYI I posted to show some of the very negative views some on here have of Wilson and you took it way off chart.
FYI I do look at Film and you are right we do run rout combo in the 2nd half when we change the tempo, in first half yeah no. If you can't see the huge difference in the style of play form one half to another than, well you are not looking and as I said I will go with the experts most of whom are saying the same thing. So again good for you but wasted post

Latest posts