How much of the Percy blunder is Bevell's fault

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
akscoundrel":3igf243u said:
Carroll and bevell knew exactly the type of guy Harvin was. They knew exactly what they were getting, and were cool with it. Why the sudden and drastic change? It seems every player, except for Tate(who is probably a little salty), liked Harvin and were surprised by his departure.

I can't help but think, if bevell wasn't a goober, would Harvin still be around?

Sounds like you've got it all figured out.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3o54364i said:
akscoundrel":3o54364i said:
Carroll and bevell knew exactly the type of guy Harvin was. They knew exactly what they were getting, and were cool with it. Why the sudden and drastic change? It seems every player, except for Tate(who is probably a little salty), liked Harvin and were surprised by his departure.

I can't help but think, if bevell wasn't a goober, would Harvin still be around?

Sounds like you've got it all figured out.

If by figured out you mean bevell deserves to have a dumbbell thrown at his head, then sure ;)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
None of it.

If Harvin were not a A-hole, he would likely still be a Hawk. And his balloon knottishness cannot possibly be anybodies fault but his own.

Anyone hear Wilson wish Harvinwell and hope he finds peace? That was all the read between the lines confirmation I needed.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Percy Harvin was given millions of dollars to do whatever the coaching staff wanted him to do.

All he had to do was say yes sir, no sir, and everything would have been fine. His attitude necessitated a move to be made. Otherwise I have no doubt that in time they would have integrated him into the offense just fine.

Rat

Reaction score
Bevell makes a convenient scapegoat, but everyone knew Harvin was a head case before we traded for him. That's why a 24-year-old playmaker with his ability was even available. Shame it didn't work out, but if Carroll and Schneider didn't think this outcome was a possibility, they weren't paying attention.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Rat":7q45f3my said:
Bevell makes a convenient scapegoat, but everyone knew Harvin was a head case before we traded for him. That's why a 24-year-old playmaker with his ability was even available. Shame it didn't work out, but if Carroll and Schneider didn't think this outcome was a possibility, they weren't paying attention.

Everybody knew Harvin was a head case before we traded for him really only means everybody was cool with him being a head case. Bevell had spent time with Harvin before. He knew exactly the man that Harvin was. A little of this and a little of that, but ultimately, not bad enough to stay away. And everything I heard, hasn't been that bad. Not in the context of an NFL locker room.

And now that you mentioned it, 'character issues' is a convenient scapegoat.

Rat

Reaction score
akscoundrel":1v4vfehw said:
Everybody knew Harvin was a head case before we traded for him really only means everybody was cool with him being a head case.
I think it's more likely that Carroll/Schneider thought they could get him to behave himself here. The Patriots have tried that numerous times, with positive results more often than not. Miscalculated risk by our front office; I disagree with the Jets trade, but I'm glad Carroll/Schneider are taking blame rather than deflecting it onto a guy in Bevell who had little/nothing to do with it.

jdblack

Reaction score
Pete is a class act and won't tell. I bet not even Bevell knows how much of the initial Harvin trade was due to his (Bevell's) opinion.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Rat":2yh1qp88 said:
akscoundrel":2yh1qp88 said:
Everybody knew Harvin was a head case before we traded for him really only means everybody was cool with him being a head case.
I think it's more likely that Carroll/Schneider thought they could get him to behave himself here. The Patriots have tried that numerous times, with positive results more often than not. Miscalculated risk by our front office; I disagree with the Jets trade, but I'm glad Carroll/Schneider are taking blame rather than deflecting it onto a guy in Bevell who had little/nothing to do with it.

Bingo! Wasn't Marshawn trouble at Buffalo? They obviously thought they could do it again.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
LymonHawk":p33toyzu said:
Rat":p33toyzu said:
akscoundrel":p33toyzu said:

Bingo! Wasn't Marshawn trouble at Buffalo? They obviously thought they could do it again.
Perfectly put.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Rat":1zo3gart said:
akscoundrel":1zo3gart said:

True, but that begs the question of this thread. If Percy had been used more optimally, and had better production, would his 'issues' have been as bad? Would he have been frustrated? If everything was rolling and gravy, where would we be today?

And bevell is very much in the picture. He's the dude that didn't know how to call a run play because #11 was a receiver.

HawkGA

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2wv4x49k said:
Not only is Bevell at fault on this, but also for; ISIS, Ebola, and Milli Vanilli.

True!

Are you blaming Bevell for Mili Vanilli or blaming Mili Vanilli for Harvin? It's a little unclear.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
akscoundrel":2xajj25n said:
If Percy had been used more optimally, and had better production, would his 'issues' have been as bad? Would he have been frustrated? If everything was rolling and gravy, where would we be today?

This issues with Harvin pre-dated that one game against Dallas when no one seemed too happy or willing to block for him. Truth is, Harvin is a gadget player and has been used as such in Florida, Minnesota and Seattle. Forcing him the ball down field and pretending he's Desean Jackson doesn't make this end well for anyone. It also doesn't erase the fights that date back to last year and the preseason; doesn't erase all the issues that came with him refusing to play on a hip that was structurally cleared from Week 10 onward. Even when things were less transparent, it never seemed quite rosy with Harvin, and this goes back to the months after his trade from Minnesota.

TCHawkfan

Reaction score
My best Hillary shriek: "what difference does it make?"

There are 32 NFL head coaches in the world, 32 GMs, OCs & DCs, these guys have a little bit of a clue what they are doing. Many here HATE Bevell but apparently, Pete, JS, etc. think he is doing ok or they would have a different OC. Or do we think there aren't hundreds of other guys who would love to have his job?

HawkWow

Reaction score
TCHawkfan":12glfrc7 said:
My best Hillary shriek: "what difference does it make?"

There are 32 NFL head coaches in the world, 32 GMs, OCs & DCs, these guys have a little bit of a clue what they are doing. Many here HATE Bevell but apparently, Pete, JS, etc. think he is doing ok or they would have a different OC. Or do we think there aren't hundreds of other guys who would love to have his job?

You're right, they know what they are doing, so ask yourself this...of those 32 teams, why was it only us negotiating for Harvin until SF jumped in? Coincidence? York and Jim knew they were about to get Boldin from brother John. Why would they want yet another headcase on the 9ers? They didn't. What they wanted, they got.

Their presence jumped the price of Minnesota's desired 2nd rndr to Pete's 1st, 3rd and 7th (!) No way was Pete going to let evil Jim escape with the prize he coveted for damn near a decade. Brilliant move by our enemies down south and just one of countless reasons Pete and John were made fools in this deal. I could go on (and on), but I'm over it. I do not "wish harvin well" and I do hope the NY media, far superior to our own, reams him at every given chance until he's confined to a padded cell.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
BR has an interesting piece up that makes the case that not using the draft picks we gave up in the Percy trade to shore up our offensive line when we didn't actually need Percy is what will ultimately do us in.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I think the real issue here is that slamming Percy feels unsatisfying because he is no longer on the team and we can't do anything about it. We took a big risk on him and it didn't pay off, but it largely didn't pay off because of Harvin's own attitude problems and refusal to work with a coaching staff that was paying him huge dollars. Still, he's 3000 miles away now and shaking our fists at him feels meaningless.

The next culprit is Pete and John but you can't really be too hard on them either given that plenty of their other moves have worked well enough to win a Superbowl.

So what we are left with? I guess Bevell and Cable. Or our other players, ie. Twitter speculation that maybe RW is hard to work with. It's all silly and grasping at straws when we know who the real culprit is already.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
HawkGA":2trae1qk said:
LymonHawk":2trae1qk said:
Not only is Bevell at fault on this, but also for; ISIS, Ebola, and Milli Vanilli.

True!

Are you blaming Bevell for Mili Vanilli or blaming Mili Vanilli for Harvin? It's a little unclear.

Ya...Enquiring minds want to know. :sarcasm_off:

HawkWow

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2jdoc8we said:
BR has an interesting piece up that makes the case that not using the draft picks we gave up in the Percy trade to shore up our offensive line when we didn't actually need Percy is what will ultimately do us in.

Didn't see it, but I wrote the same when we signed Harvin and continued to stress we should trade him for OL just 2 days before his departure. Few here agreed and in fact, I was labeled "Fake fan". Ouch!

(Now when people ask who my team is, I have to tell them I'm a "fake fan" of the Seattle Seahawks. Damn you real fans. Damn you!)

You have a franchise QB, you need to protect him. Your desire is to run, you need to open holes. Quality and depth will (typically) determine the ultimate success of your franchise.

And no...I am not patting myself on the back. It doesn't get more base than understanding you need to protect your FQB or open holes for your RBs. Common sense isn't cause for celebration, imo.

pugs1

Reaction score
Very little goes on the coaching staff. If you want to fault them for being naive for thinking their environment could change Havin so be it.

Players Coach: Check
Great QB: Check
Winning team: Check
67 million dollars: check

All that was asks was to play hard and not be a douche.

Harvin couldn't hold up his end of the bargain.

Plain and simple Havin is a Turd