How safe is Candlestick?

HansGruber

Reaction score
I went last season. Agree with the others that the real danger is outside the stadium. Some gang member told me I was wearing the wrong colors as I walking to the game. Turned to look at him, he threw up a gang sign, I realized we weren't talking about football, and kept walking. Luckily, was in a crowd of football fans. The parking lot was insane - saw many fights, most between gang member types (mexicans with red bandanas on their heads, etc).

Inside the stadium during the game was about normal. People talking smack at us, some guy poured a beer on my friend, a couple drunks tried to start a fight with us on the way out. But during the game, most of the fans were actually paying more attention to the Giants game (who were in the playoffs).

I'd say it's a bit more dangerous than other stadiums, but if you're used to going to road games, you'll know how to keep your head down, keep your mouth shut, keep moving all the time, don't try to smack back. You'll be okay.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
HansGruber":8cwa73uo said:
I went last season. Agree with the others that the real danger is outside the stadium. Some gang member told me I was wearing the wrong colors as I walking to the game. Turned to look at him, he threw up a gang sign, I realized we weren't talking about football, and kept walking. Luckily, was in a crowd of football fans. The parking lot was insane - saw many fights, most between gang member types (mexicans with red bandanas on their heads, etc).

Inside the stadium during the game was about normal. People talking smack at us, some guy poured a beer on my friend, a couple drunks tried to start a fight with us on the way out. But during the game, most of the fans were actually paying more attention to the Giants game (who were in the playoffs).

I'd say it's a bit more dangerous than other stadiums, but if you're used to going to road games, you'll know how to keep your head down, keep your mouth shut, keep moving all the time, don't try to smack back. You'll be okay.
I could handle the smack but having a beer poured on my head? I can't let that slide, so it's good I refuse to go to a game out there. Not even worth it

NinerBuff

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2048btso said:
RolandDeschain":2048btso said:
NinerBuff":2048btso said:
The only people who get into trouble are the people who pick fights with drunks...

Can't say I agree with this. A lot of drunks look for fights to pick.
Beat me to it

I guess that's true... what I meant is that people who get provoked by drunk people (or do the provoking) will end up in a bad situation. But that can be said in any situation with drunk low-lifes...

Some other posters have said that the real trouble is outside the stadium, which I agree with. And unfortunately, it really isn't a family environment.

I really hope the new stadium, with it's high ticket prices, just out-prices these people, so it can go back to being about football and not anything gang related.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Bear in mind that ALL of these experiences were BEFORE the current Seahawks-49ers rivalry was half as bad as it is now. This was all before the 42-13 beatdown here in Seattle, and before the 49ers made it clear to the Super Bowl. This year will not be a good year to be a Seahawks fan in SF.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2vvuufv0 said:
Bear in mind that ALL of these experiences were BEFORE the current Seahawks-49ers rivalry was half as bad as it is now. This was all before the 42-13 beatdown here in Seattle, and before the 49ers made it clear to the Super Bowl. This year will not be a good year to be a Seahawks fan in SF.

Probably...

...Although I will say this. The rivalry has created another effect...tickets to get into that game are much more expensive on Stubhub. Even cheap sets to that game are almost $90 right now. Games against the Cards, Rams, and Panthers are more in the $65 range. Not a HUGE diff, but if the cheap seats are that much more expensive, it may make a diff in the entire stadium.

To put that into perspective tho the cheapest seats in the entire stadium in Santa Clara are $85 (Mine are $125) and that's the Season Ticket holders who had to dish 2K to 12K for a non-club level seat license. Those things will probably go from 1.5 to 2 times as much on Stubhub. That's what we mean by that "element" being priced out of the building.

I've read a few people talk about how there weren't really any issues at the Giants NFCCG last year...well that may be because at one point the cheap seats were over $400.

Bottom line...if you really don't give 2 sh*ts about seeing Candlestick one last time, I'd save your money and wait till next year.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
This past season I went to my first game at the Stick. I was at the Green Bay Packer playoff game and I saw nothing to suggest the GB fans were at all discomforted, let alone in danger. In addition, they were able to tailgate no problem. There were GB fans sitting right across the aisle from me and no one even noticed them. Granted, we were in the lower bowl, but the 49ers fans were did not really care about the Packers fans. And, I hate to break it to you guys, but the Packers are probably a bigger rival to the 49ers than the Hawks.

I know I am going to get reamed for this, but I don't see the point of wearing away jerseys to games. My dad and I attend an away 49ers game every year and I never wear their colors. Your asking for it at every stadium. Don't pretend like the fans at CLINK don't engage with opposing fans. It happens everywhere.

You guys are referencing isolating incidents. I can almost guarantee you that one is going to disrespect your wife.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
HansGruber":1jfx9oh7 said:

You guys are really playing the race card here. Sure, there are a lot of Hispanic 49ers fans. And I know you guys up in the Pacific Northwest don't have too many people of color besides Asians, but you guys are definitely overexaggerating the presence of gang members.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Marvin49":3a9yqann said:
Seahawk Sailor":3a9yqann said:

Probably...

...Although I will say this. The rivalry has created another effect...tickets to get into that game are much more expensive on Stubhub. Even cheap sets to that game are almost $90 right now. Games against the Cards, Rams, and Panthers are more in the $65 range. Not a HUGE diff, but if the cheap seats are that much more expensive, it may make a diff in the entire stadium.

To put that into perspective tho the cheapest seats in the entire stadium in Santa Clara are $85 (Mine are $125) and that's the Season Ticket holders who had to dish 2K to 12K for a non-club level seat license. Those things will probably go from 1.5 to 2 times as much on Stubhub. That's what we mean by that "element" being priced out of the building.

I've read a few people talk about how there weren't really any issues at the Giants NFCCG last year...well that may be because at one point the cheap seats were over $400.

Bottom line...if you really don't give 2 sh*ts about seeing Candlestick one last time, I'd save your money and wait till next year.
$90??? No wonder yall get the low-life's in there. Lowest for Seahawks is about $300 right now

Marvin49

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3a62y9iz said:
Marvin49":3a62y9iz said:
Seahawk Sailor":3a62y9iz said:

Probably...

$90??? No wonder yall get the low-life's in there. Lowest for Seahawks is about $300 right now

Bingo. THAT is my point.

Decrepid old stadium, stagnant ticket prices.

All will change next year.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":1hufet6f said:
This past season I went to my first game at the Stick. I was at the Green Bay Packer playoff game and I saw nothing to suggest the GB fans were at all discomforted, let alone in danger. In addition, they were able to tailgate no problem. There were GB fans sitting right across the aisle from me and no one even noticed them. Granted, we were in the lower bowl, but the 49ers fans were did not really care about the Packers fans. And, I hate to break it to you guys, but the Packers are probably a bigger rival to the 49ers than the Hawks.

I know I am going to get reamed for this, but I don't see the point of wearing away jerseys to games. My dad and I attend an away 49ers game every year and I never wear their colors. Your asking for it at every stadium. Don't pretend like the fans at CLINK don't engage with opposing fans. It happens everywhere.

You guys are referencing isolating incidents. I can almost guarantee you that one is going to disrespect your wife.

Sounds like you're living in denial, bud. Yes, every fanbase and stadium has those types of fans, but there's a reason why Bay Area football is viewed in such a negative light. You can't discount the huge amount of the gangbanging crowd you guys draw.

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
Sounds like you're living in denial, bud. Yes, every fanbase and stadium has those types of fans, but there's a reason why Bay Area football is viewed in such a negative light. You can't discount the huge amount of the gangbanging crowd you guys draw.

Yes, every fan base has drunk, violent, rude fans. But some have more than others. It goes...

1. 49ers
2. Raiders
3. Eagles

Common knowledge.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Stephen SeaHawking":2jours7n said:

Yes, every fan base has drunk, violent, rude fans. But some have more than others. It goes...

1. 49ers
2. Raiders
3. Eagles

Common knowledge.

LOL.

Yeah...because that list isn't scewed at ALL by your personal hatred. LOL.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":18i1lje9 said:
HansGruber":18i1lje9 said:

You guys are really playing the race card here. Sure, there are a lot of Hispanic 49ers fans. And I know you guys up in the Pacific Northwest don't have too many people of color besides Asians, but you guys are definitely overexaggerating the presence of gang members.
Lol. The Pacific NW is a melting pot of all kinds of colors...don't know where you got that there wasn't from. The presence of the Norteños is known. Even up here in Seattle, you'll a bunch of gangbangers at Niners and Raiders games.

Marvin49

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3sbkr1po said:
SoHo9erFan":3sbkr1po said:

Ya know...I've been mostly agreeing here with most of the complaints about candlestick...

...but you guys are of course aware that every mexican wearing red isn't a gang member...correct? Red IS the team color. This ain't Watts.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1src9um1 said:
SoHo9erFan":1src9um1 said:

Besides this forum, what are your sources when you say that Bay Area football is viewed in a negative light? Sure, the Raiders attracts convicts. But I don't think you can automatically assume that the 49ers and the Stick deal with the same problems. I have never heard stigma against the Stick until this thread right here. Regardless, Levi's Stadium will be completely different and this conversation is only relevant one more season.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Marvin49":3v5kxlga said:
-The Glove-":3v5kxlga said:
SoHo9erFan":3v5kxlga said:

Ya know...I've been mostly agreeing here with most of the complaints about candlestick...

...but you guys are of course aware that every mexican wearing red isn't a gang member...correct? Red IS the team color. This ain't Watts.

No sh....Mexicans aren't the only ones gangbanging either.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Marvin49":ejm4e9jb said:
-The Glove-":ejm4e9jb said:
SoHo9erFan":ejm4e9jb said:

Exactly.

Marvin49

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1m7lefav said:
Marvin49":1m7lefav said:
-The Glove-":1m7lefav said:

No sh....Mexicans aren't the only ones gangbanging either.

Wow. Missing the point there dude.

My point is just because you see a mexican in red outside the stadium doesn't mean he/she is a gang member.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2enic3lm said:
SoHo9erFan":2enic3lm said:
HansGruber":2enic3lm said:

Lol. The Pacific NW is a melting pot of all kinds of colors...don't know where you got that there wasn't from. The presence of the Norteños is known. Even up here in Seattle, you'll a bunch of gangbangers at Niners and Raiders games.
Only 48% of SF's population is white. 70% of Seattle is white. Sure, you guys are diverse compared to the rest of the Northwest, but don't call it a melting pot. That is absolutely ridiculous. Minneapolis is more diverse than Seattle AND that's saying something

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
32 Teams in the NFL.

Only one of those teams had someone MURDERED outside their stadium last year.

Discussion over.