How safe is Candlestick?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
SoHo9erFan":9d8qt9yk said:
I was referring to Seattle. Not Columbia City specifically. But i have passed through the neighborhood. Again, I have lived in Los Angeles and currently in New York City, so seeing diversity doesn't register on my radar. I'm sure it's something you guys take pride in for its cultural uniqueness.

Smelly McUgly, I hope I'm not offending you. But a poster explicitly calling out a race and associating them with gang relations pisses me off too. You can't deny that Seattle is not that diverse. Especially if you compare them to the other major cities in this country. I'm not even taking into account Seattle's suburbs: Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Mercer Island, etc.

No, I'm sorry, but much as in most places, the city is diverse and the suburbs are less so.

Go to South Park, Seward Park, Columbia City, etc., and tell me that there isn't much diversity. I teach in Renton, speaking of the suburbs. My classrooms are incredibly diverse - lots of African and Asian immigrants, lots of native born Asians, and a couple of sizeable Mexican shopping districts down the street in the Highlands. Go to Lynnwood or Bothell or Everett, and there is also plenty of diversity. Cherry-picking more expensive suburbs like Bellevue, Redmond, and Mercer effin' Island is not helping your argument. Wow, in more expensive suburbs, there is less ethnic diversity! Who would have thought?

You are either lying about Seattle's lack of diversity, or you are ignorant and think that you know more about the city than you do. Pick one - this is no either/or fallacy here.

I do agree that there was no need for the MEXICAN stuff, though.

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
But a poster explicitly calling out a race and associating them with gang relations pisses me off too.

Not to be inflammatory or take the bait, but, uh, don't inner-city gangs tend to consist of latinos or african-americans? What was so objectionable about what he said?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
-The Glove-":12vvydbo said:
Smelly McUgly":12vvydbo said:
Marvin49":12vvydbo said:
Wow...this one went of the tracks quickly....

Sorry, as a black dude from Seattle, somebody telling me that my city isn't very diverse annoys me. Yeah, I think we can all handle SF's diversity. We've seen it before.
As an Asian dude from Tacoma, I'm with you.

When I lived in Tacoma as a young kid in the '80s, I lived next to a Honduran family and across from a Cambodian one, and that doesn't mention the rest of the families on the street, either. Lots of my friends in school were mixed-ethnicity. I cannot imagine someone actually living there and thinking that there wasn't much diversity at all.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Stephen SeaHawking":5foozwae said:
But a poster explicitly calling out a race and associating them with gang relations pisses me off too.

Not to be inflammatory or take the bait, but, uh, don't inner-city gangs tend to consist of latinos or african-americans? What was so objectionable about what he said?

Um...how about the assumption that every mexican he saw in red was a gang member.

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
Marvin49":2jd3q2pf said:
Stephen SeaHawking":2jd3q2pf said:

Um...how about the assumption that every mexican he saw in red was a gang member.
I thought he just said he saw some Mexican gang members hanging out near the stadium. That's different than assuming that every latino person he saw that day was a gang member.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1khamdxx said:
SoHo9erFan":1khamdxx said:
I was referring to Seattle. Not Columbia City specifically. But i have passed through the neighborhood. Again, I have lived in Los Angeles and currently in New York City, so seeing diversity doesn't register on my radar. I'm sure it's something you guys take pride in for its cultural uniqueness.

Smelly McUgly, I hope I'm not offending you. But a poster explicitly calling out a race and associating them with gang relations pisses me off too. You can't deny that Seattle is not that diverse. Especially if you compare them to the other major cities in this country. I'm not even taking into account Seattle's suburbs: Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Mercer Island, etc.

No, I'm sorry, but much as in most places, the city is diverse and the suburbs are less so.

Go to South Park, Seward Park, Columbia City, etc., and tell me that there isn't much diversity. I teach in Renton, speaking of the suburbs. My classrooms are incredibly diverse - lots of African and Asian immigrants, lots of native born Asians, and a couple of sizeable Mexican shopping districts down the street in the Highlands. Go to Lynnwood or Bothell or Everett, and there is also plenty of diversity. Cherry-picking more expensive suburbs like Bellevue, Redmond, and Mercer effin' Island is not helping your argument. Wow, in more expensive suburbs, there is less ethnic diversity! Who would have thought?

You are either lying about Seattle's lack of diversity, or you are ignorant and think that you know more about the city than you do. Pick one - this is no either/or fallacy here.

I do agree that there was no need for the MEXICAN stuff, though.
One fact I am ignoring is that there is a large eastern european population in Seattle as well. They obviously count as white in the demographic statistics.

And yeah, I did cherry-pick the suburbs though. I admit that. It wasn't intentional. Those are the most well known. And I obviously know almost nothing about Seattle compared to you.

I'm still convinced that people not from a city as diverse as SF (which includes Seattle) would be able to walk into Candlestick without being suspicious or even prejudice of the large non-white fanbase attending the games. That paranoid consciousness would undoubtedly taint an experience.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Marvin49":2gpwvyp7 said:
Stephen SeaHawking":2gpwvyp7 said:

Who said that? He said "Mexicans with red bandanas on their head". A clear distinction there in what qualifies one as a gangbanger.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":1pqbdc01 said:
I'm still convinced that people not from a city as diverse as SF (which includes Seattle) would be able to walk into Candlestick without being suspicious or even prejudice of the large non-white fanbase attending the games. That paranoid consciousness would undoubtedly taint an experience.

Yeah, I know. I see black people and I'm just terrified! And a Mex-uh, Mex-eye-can? What are those?

Just, wow, man. We are not all uncultured swine that think every brown-skinned person is here to steal our wallets and rape our spouses. My God. Just stop now, man. Please.

On topic, if you are going to Candlestick, don't wear Seahawks gear or cheer too loud, which is pretty much what you should do for road games at every non-University-of-Phoenix stadium in the country that you visit.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Stephen SeaHawking":odein7l7 said:
I thought he just said he saw some Mexican gang members hanging out near the stadium. That's different than assuming that every latino person he saw that day was a gang member.

That certainly wasn't how I took it.

As I said before, I'm white and my wife is mexican. Both of my boys (7 and 3) look light-skinned mexican. I've already seen people make assumptions about them. Then they meet me and all of the sudden their opinion changes...as if somehow the boys being half-white means there is comething more redeeming about them than if they had been 100% mexican.

That sh*t pisses me off.

So when someone makes an assumption that a mexican in red at a 49er game is a gang member...yeah...thats gonna set me off.

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
^I guess we don't really have the "burden of proof" either way. I mean, on the one hand he could have witnessed clear evidence of gang activity -- gang signs, etc. On the other maybe he was just assuming on the basis of race.

Hawknight

Reaction score
I live here in the Bay Area over 20 years as a die hard Seahawks fan. I've been to many games here where the Seahawks play against the Niners and I've been to a few Raider games. FIRST let me just say, there ARE a lot of classy Niner and Raider fans out there for the record, BUT there are several ESPECIALLY when under the influence of alcohol become very combative. Last year in the parking lot, sporting my Seahawks jersey, some niner fans threw their beer bottles at us. Reported it to security nearby, their only suggestion was not to wear an opposing jersey at the stadium...I was like WTF...really? For years I had worn a Seahawks jersey with a little jabbing here and there, but the last few years, it's been nothing but trouble to the point you can't really enjoy the game. Perhaps when the Niners move to a better location once the new stadium is finished, perhaps it will change for the better, at least I hope that the case. The Raiders games at the coliseum, FORGET IT, you're talking about fan who burn down a McDonalds when the lost in their last Superbowl, and you always here of at least a knifing or gun being pulled out, shots fired etc. I understand pride and rooting for your team, but the violence part where it takes the fun out for family enjoyment, no thank you! :twocents:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_21386248/ ... -game-last

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":jbztbkzb said:
SoHo9erFan":jbztbkzb said:

Yeah, I know. I see black people and I'm just terrified! And a Mex-uh, Mex-eye-can? What are those?

Just, wow, man. We are not all uncultured swine that think every brown-skinned person is here to steal our wallets and rape our spouses. My God. Just stop now, man. Please.
Aren't you black? I don't really understand this post.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":2uuqi8og said:
Smelly McUgly":2uuqi8og said:
SoHo9erFan":2uuqi8og said:

Aren't you black? I don't really understand this post.

I'm making fun of you for thinking that people not from SF are scared of anything darker than a carton of milk.

Just, look, we'll never agree. You want to feel culturally superior even in light of the fact that you clearly don't know very much about Seattle, so go for it. Whatever.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1xzgr9c5 said:
-The Glove-":1xzgr9c5 said:
Smelly McUgly":1xzgr9c5 said:
Marvin49 said:
Wow...this one went of the tracks quickly....

Sorry, as a black dude from Seattle, somebody telling me that my city isn't very diverse annoys me. Yeah, I think we can all handle SF's diversity. We've seen it before.
As an Asian dude from Tacoma, I'm with you.

When I lived in Tacoma as a young kid in the '80s, I lived next to a Honduran family and across from a Cambodian one, and that doesn't mention the rest of the families on the street, either. Lots of my friends in school were mixed-ethnicity. I cannot imagine someone actually living there and thinking that there wasn't much diversity at all.

Where in the Tacoma did you stay? I stayed on 25th St, just down the hill from Hilltop

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3nbnx46m said:
I lived just to the East of I-5 and up the hill from the Tacoma Dome over on E. 36th.
Ic...kind of around the McKinley area