How safe is Candlestick?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
-The Glove-":2fmhfgzi said:
Smelly McUgly":2fmhfgzi said:
I lived just to the East of I-5 and up the hill from the Tacoma Dome over on E. 36th.
Ic...kind of around the McKinley area

Down the street from the elementary school. It was good times. I'm sad to see that neighborhood not doing so well and that the school is shut down. :(

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":37va5qdz said:
-The Glove-":37va5qdz said:
Smelly McUgly":37va5qdz said:
I lived just to the East of I-5 and up the hill from the Tacoma Dome over on E. 36th.
Ic...kind of around the McKinley area

Down the street from the elementary school. It was good times. I'm sad to see that neighborhood not doing so well and that the school is shut down. :(
Yeah that areas still pretty rough...I actually stay right off of 40th and Portland now. Everywhere else has come up. Hilltop has a bunch of new businesses and nice developments and the way Tacoma revamped Salishan was innovative IMO.

HansGruber

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":4whifyoz said:
You guys are really playing the race card here. Sure, there are a lot of Hispanic 49ers fans. And I know you guys up in the Pacific Northwest don't have too many people of color besides Asians, but you guys are definitely overexaggerating the presence of gang members.

So let me get this straight, we're all racist against "hispanics" because we live in the Pac-NW, and we don't have Mexicans up here. And we're all "overexaggerating" the gang presence in Hunter's Point?

When I see a Mexican kid with a "14" on his neck and flying the colors in Hunter's Point, I know he's Norteno/Nuestra. You're right, I should have been more clear, people might get confused and think I was saying there was a problem with Surenos in NorCal.

BTW, I know quite a few Mexicans who strongly dislike being called "hispanic". The term "hispanic" refers to any Latin American of Spanish descent. Like the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans that fill NYC. But Mexico consists of A LOT of "indios", Native Mexicans who are not of Spanish descent and consider themselves "true" Mexicans. To these indios, "hispanic" is an insult. It's kind of like calling a Native American a white European, or a Japanese person an "Oriental".

Cagaste y saltaste en la caca, gringo estupido.

DonnieDarko

Reaction score
Sandpoint Hawk":1ovnmm1p said:
I've been to Candlestick 2 times vs. the hawks. I got called names and stuff but nothing really that got under my skin. The seats are ok. But the stadium itself is a piece if crap. It's not too bad going there honestly.

Can't disagree with any of this.

DonnieDarko

Reaction score
The scene in Candlestick isn't like it was 10 or 20 years ago. Many XIV/ Nortenos like to go the games and start trouble unfortunately. These aren't real fans.

When the new stadium opens in Santa Clara I suspect the fan violence in the stands to come to a halt...hopefully...

Subzero717

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":3olsyffn said:
Smelly McUgly":3olsyffn said:
SoHo9erFan":3olsyffn said:
I was referring to Seattle. Not Columbia City specifically. But i have passed through the neighborhood. Again, I have lived in Los Angeles and currently in New York City, so seeing diversity doesn't register on my radar. I'm sure it's something you guys take pride in for its cultural uniqueness.

Smelly McUgly, I hope I'm not offending you. But a poster explicitly calling out a race and associating them with gang relations pisses me off too. You can't deny that Seattle is not that diverse. Especially if you compare them to the other major cities in this country. I'm not even taking into account Seattle's suburbs: Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Mercer Island, etc.

No, I'm sorry, but much as in most places, the city is diverse and the suburbs are less so.

Go to South Park, Seward Park, Columbia City, etc., and tell me that there isn't much diversity. I teach in Renton, speaking of the suburbs. My classrooms are incredibly diverse - lots of African and Asian immigrants, lots of native born Asians, and a couple of sizeable Mexican shopping districts down the street in the Highlands. Go to Lynnwood or Bothell or Everett, and there is also plenty of diversity. Cherry-picking more expensive suburbs like Bellevue, Redmond, and Mercer effin' Island is not helping your argument. Wow, in more expensive suburbs, there is less ethnic diversity! Who would have thought?

You are either lying about Seattle's lack of diversity, or you are ignorant and think that you know more about the city than you do. Pick one - this is no either/or fallacy here.

I do agree that there was no need for the MEXICAN stuff, though.
One fact I am ignoring is that there is a large eastern european population in Seattle as well. They obviously count as white in the demographic statistics.

And yeah, I did cherry-pick the suburbs though. I admit that. It wasn't intentional. Those are the most well known. And I obviously know almost nothing about Seattle compared to you.

I'm still convinced that people not from a city as diverse as SF (which includes Seattle) would be able to walk into Candlestick without being suspicious or even prejudice of the large non-white fanbase attending the games. That paranoid consciousness would undoubtedly taint an experience.

You saying that Seattle is not as diverse as San Francisco makes you look foolish.

mikeak

Reaction score
Which is more diverse (not pulling these numbers from any facts just putting them out there)

City X
50% "white"
40% Mexicans
10% African Americans

City Y
55% "white"
15% Mexicans
10% African Americans
10% Asians
10% Africa

NorCal

Reaction score
I always recommend taking the ballpark express bus from downtown to and from the game. You will get out of the stadium area way faster. Just catch it from the first stop at Sutter/Market street.

jkitsune

Reaction score
mikeak":valccnh8 said:
Which is more diverse (not pulling these numbers from any facts just putting them out there)

City X
50% "white"
40% Mexicans
10% African Americans

City Y
55% "white"
15% Mexicans
10% African Americans
10% Asians
10% Africa

I don't know which city you're claiming to be which, but referring to the Latin American population as 'Mexican' is ignorant.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
jkitsune":5tmm4yuq said:
I don't know which city you're claiming to be which, but referring to the Latin American population as 'Mexican' is ignorant.

Name a city outside of south Florida where Mexicans don't represent more than half of the entire Hispanic population.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2utaaauk said:
jkitsune":2utaaauk said:

Name a city outside of south Florida where Mexicans don't represent more than half of the entire Hispanic population.
New York? Mostly Puerto Ricans right?

heyu123

Reaction score
Just wear normal clothes. Problem solved.

If you and your wife insist on being decked out in Seahawks gear, well....lets just say that is not very intelligent. I have no sympathy for people who have bad experiences when they're wearing another teams colors. You're bringing the negative attention onto yourself and setting yourself up for it when you KNOW Candlestick isn't the best stadium anyways.

So if you're going to do that, then don't cry and complain when you get beer dumped on you or people try and fight you. Because while that should not happen, it definitely is a possibility and you know that before hand.

Latest posts