How to evaluate John Schneider?

MO Hawk

Reaction score
We sure don't seem to get much help each year from our early draft picks as opposed to the teams we have played this year. I've especially been noticing the difference the past 5 weeks. We really needed a pass rush this year and he just didn't get it done. Call Texas dumb for trading Brown and Clowney to us, but hey,they won their division.

When I look at Schneider's first three draft picks each year, there seems to be a problem. In the future should he should trade all his picks in the first two rounds for 3rd round or later picks where he excels? With Britt, Lockett and Reed though, maybe his early picks take time to develop? Will Collier and Blair eventually pay off?

Rnd First Pick Second Pick Third Pick
2019 1 LJ Collier 2 Marquise Blair 2 DK Metcalf
2018 1 Rashad Penny 3 Rasheem Green 4 Will Dissey
2017 2 Malik McDowell 2 Ethan Pocic 3 Shaquill Griffin
2016 1 Germain Ifedi 2 Jarran Reed 3 CJ Prosise
2015 2 Frank Clark 3 Tyler Lockett 4 Terry Poole
2014 2 Paul Richardson 2 Justin Britt 4 Cassius Marsh
2013 2 Christine Michael 3 Jordan Hill 4 Chris Harper

HawkerD

Reaction score
The failure of early round picks have caused the overall decline that we have witnessed over the last several years. Late round finds, trades, FA signings have kept them above water

Out of the 21 players you listed, only 2 (Lockett and DK ) are worth big deals and are among league leaders at their positions.

IMO, front office is over valuing intangibles in the early rounds and passing on guys with proven ability. This goes all the way back to Bruce Irvin

If they do an honest retrospective they would adjust their philosophy in the early rounds but I am not sure it is in their DNA

FireHawk79

Reaction score
Wow this is a reach IMO. Yea there are some picks that didn’t pan out here but overall I say 50/50. Half of them aren’t worth it but half are. I think that is an ok amount of hits and misses. And I would be willing to bet if you look at the league as a whole I think it might be a similar amount. In the end I feel Schneider makes up for his misses on draft picks with his cunning in the free agent market and trades. He’s the BEST GM in the league and if you feel otherwise look at what he did this year and his track record overall. I don’t have any stats but it is truly my opinion. He’s done a hell of a job and we put together winning seasons regardless of injuries!!!!!

Northhawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":2ta6k6j8 said:
The failure of early round picks have caused the overall decline that we have witnessed over the last several years. Late round finds, trades, FA signings have kept them above water

Out of the 21 players you listed, only 2 (Lockett and DK ) are worth big deals and are among league leaders at their positions.

IMO, front office is over valuing intangibles in the early rounds and passing on guys with proven ability. This goes all the way back to Bruce Irvin

If they do an honest retrospective they would adjust their philosophy in the early rounds but I am not sure it is in their DNA

I agree with this. The team has been thin a key positions (OL and DL) for too many seasons. The secondary isn't much better. Champion teams are stacked so when the inevitable injuries hit, there's decent options ready to step up. This year's starting line up was decent but got thin fast. That's on the GM and Carroll.

Not calling for their heads but they have to do better with drafting and free agency.

FireHawk79

Reaction score
Northhawk":2fzvb1wz said:
HawkerD":2fzvb1wz said:

I agree with this. The team has been thin a key positions (OL and DL) for too many seasons. The secondary isn't much better. Champion teams are stacked so when the inevitable injuries hit, there's decent options ready to step up. This year's starting line up was decent but got thin fast. That's on the GM and Carroll.

Not calling for their heads but they have to do better with drafting and free agency.

I do see your point here and I do agree that we haven’t addressed the o line perfectly. And it has been an issue for quite a while. As well there have been misses on the D line. The hardest part to that is paying Russ and Bobby I think. We can’t have it all I guess. But I do see what you are saying and agree.

xray

Reaction score
He is the GM ; but most fans don't know that Carroll is not only HC ; but executive vice-president also . In fact Carroll hired Schneider not the other way around . Carroll and Schneider came in together and will stay as long as Carroll wants. Regardless of draft picks .

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Rnd First Pick Second Pick Third Pick
2019 1 LJ Collier 2 Marquise Blair 2 DK Metcalf
2018 1 Rashad Penny 3 Rasheem Green 4 Will Dissey
2017 2 Malik McDowell 2 Ethan Pocic 3 Shaquill Griffin
2016 1 Germain Ifedi 2 Jarran Reed 3 CJ Prosise
2015 2 Frank Clark 3 Tyler Lockett 4 Terry Poole
2014 2 Paul Richardson 2 Justin Britt 4 Cassius Marsh
2013 2 Christine Michael 3 Jordan Hill 4 Chris Harper

Jury still out on our first 2 of 2019, but below that I'd say other than those emboldened they did a solid job, ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING what they got in exchange for trading down. Pretty good % of very good players.
I certainly agree we need to focus on bolstering both lines.
I want to see Carson, Penny, Britt, Brown,and Clowney back next year. That will seriously dent the piggy bank though.

I think our personnel dept has done a stellar job. Wouldn't trade them for anyone else.

LTH

Reaction score
I have no problem with JS in any capacity.. The guy is a stud!

LTH

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Draft efficacy is a difficult metric to analyze, but I don't think it's lunacy to say we haven't done well. I ran a comparison a couple years ago against other playoff teams and the Seahawks were significantly below average in "retained draft picks" ie those picks that were still on the team past their rookie year. Pats had like twice as many. I posted data here, but most maintained Hawks were league average +, hard roster to crack, etc.

I'm not sure it really means anything in the big picture. And with so many variables at work it is difficult or impossible to prove causation or even correlation.

That said, my gut says we have not drafted even replacement-level players at a high enough rate since 2012. This explains failing to improve the OL despite draft investment being high. And missing on a lot of DBs and LBs that would not prove to be serviceable backups or even developmental players has caused the defense to decline in production for 6 straight years more than any other factor.

Good news is we may have hit on a higher % in the last couple drafts. We could have a TE and finally another WR to complement Lockett. And Blair and Amadi have my hopes up.

JS is fine. I doubt we could do better (he has spun straw into gold more than once). I would like to see less apparent reliance on the longshots.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I have an extremely unpopular opinion that the lack of talent in the field is what is holding us back more than anything.

Our secondary is largely a disaster. This defense specifically needs to have a talented secondary. I think todays NFL in general its important. Look no further than Balt that has 4 pro bowl caliber players. Our heyday we featured the same. Instead we chose to pay our LBers and now we cant seem to stop the run and our pass defense isnt much better because our nickle CB is so bad we stay in base most of the time exoecting 3 30 year old LBers to cover WRs.

Our pass rush situation has been just as bad. They go hand in hand but ignoring the pass rush in the draft to draft a back up RB is inexcusable. That said, it was a knee jerk reaction to the previous season when like this season our RBs all got hurt. Im not sure how if you know you arent resigning Clark you ignore the Edge rush position. No,I dont think they ever had any intention of resigning Frank. Had they, they would have a year before he hit FA. I also get people want to point to the Clowney deal and heap a ton of praise on JS for fleecing the Texans but Clowney had way more to do with that thsn JS. A week before the season Clowney with all the leverage forced his way out and was only willing to go to 2 teams. JS's plan was Mingo.

The knee jerks are a plenty. They started with the trade for Graham and theyve been piling up since.

bandiger

Reaction score
Thinkng he'll never build a decent line, not sure who to put this blame on. Every year RW is near the top at most hit or sacked QB in the league.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Subzero717":2comz5qq said:
I have an extremely unpopular opinion that the lack of talent in the field is what is holding us back more than anything.

Our secondary is largely a disaster. This defense specifically needs to have a talented secondary. I think todays NFL in general its important. Look no further than Balt that has 4 pro bowl caliber players. Our heyday we featured the same. Instead we chose to pay our LBers and now we cant seem to stop the run and our pass defense isnt much better because our nickle CB is so bad we stay in base most of the time exoecting 3 30 year old LBers to cover WRs.

Our pass rush situation has been just as bad. They go hand in hand but ignoring the pass rush in the draft to draft a back up RB is inexcusable. That said, it was a knee jerk reaction to the previous season when like this season our RBs all got hurt. Im not sure how if you know you arent resigning Clark you ignore the Edge rush position. No,I dont think they ever had any intention of resigning Frank. Had they, they would have a year before he hit FA. I also get people want to point to the Clowney deal and heap a ton of praise on JS for fleecing the Texans but Clowney had way more to do with that thsn JS. A week before the season Clowney with all the leverage forced his way out and was only willing to go to 2 teams. JS's plan was Mingo.

The knee jerks are a plenty. They started with the trade for Graham and theyve been piling up since.

Yea but what your overlooking is players we passed up that were better aka Buddha baker

Subzero717

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":rkk5yibm said:
Subzero717":rkk5yibm said:

Yea but what your overlooking is players we passed up that were better aka Buddha baker

No. I didnt overlook them. Thats a long list of players. Baker is one I loved, King another although I was extremely high on him, Landry, TJ Watt (Schneider is am avid Badgers fan.) Its a very lengthy list and some will point out hindsigyt blah blah.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
MO Hawk":32y2x9n0 said:
In the future should he should trade all his picks in the first two rounds for 3rd round or later picks where he excels?

"I keep having to pay money on these old cars I buy. I'll just rely on bikes for my 50-mile commute from now on."

Seattle's player acquisition in the last two offseasons has been nothing short of 2010-2012 worthy. And almost the entirety of the 2018 draft is making an impact on the roster, the first draft since 2012 to do so. He lost his way for a long time, for whatever reason, but he's got his moxie back now and it's fun to watch.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Looks at it this way. It was Schneider who wanted RW and talked Pete into it. Does anyone here really believe this team would be better without RW?

Two cents.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
NOTE: This post has been deleted 5/22/20, ------- this comes after multiple unprovoked attacks on me by the asshole acer1240. I will never post here again. This site has officially gone to hell & I'll never return.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Looking at that list, I'm more impressed with JS than I was before clicking on this thread. Sure, the first picks are generally underwhelming, but every year there is a quality player in one of those first three rounds and often two of the three. That's pretty good.