How to fill the Avril void

QuahHawk

Reaction score
With Avril, Jefferson, McDowell, and Jordan all injured we are really thin at DE right now.

I'm wondering about any vets worth picking up or if we see gong to see a trade soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DJrmb

Reaction score
The only one of those guys that began the season with the team was Avril. So technically we are only down 1 guy. We have the bye after this next game too. I think I'd personally just tough it out this week and then see who all is coming back after the bye. There's a chance you could have Avril or Jordan coming back after the bye. Or maybe even have Jefferson come back and play with a club...

Seafan

Reaction score
I'm speculating here but the Cowboys have a DE returning from the suspension list. Might they waive the only Cowboy to make a national anthem protest with his quick black power move, former Hawk Damontre Moore?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Much harder to replace Bennett in terms of size.

Clark is going to dominate. I get the feeling he doesn't like clean-up duty. The guy is a havoc, and once he gets revved up, he doesn't let off, hard to in a rotational role. He stepped up big time for Bennett last season. I expect Clark to do it now as well.

Futhermore, I really like Smith... Marsh was in this role last year w/o Bennett. Even if they give similar overall performces, you have to like Smith's superior arm length and overall better, more natural athleticism to be a more solid closer. A Marsh pressure might become a Smith sack is what I'm saying.

Also, think Garvin will get some pass-rush snaps... guy seems to have terrific speed and a nose for the football or in the very least the quickness and where-with-allness to create opportunities even if he's not the total ideal package as a LBer. Create a package, where more often than not, he'll come cleanly off the edge, he'd could find a niche.

I guess, in a broader sense, dial-up the LB blitz in general. Again, last year with Bennett out, Seahawks turned to alternate means of creating pressure. Both Wright and Bennett did well in those roles. Wyman is all over Wagner as " the best pass-rushing MLB he's ever witness" or something to that affect.

Richards can get creative with that, I would love to more looks where Chancellor is playing more LB with McDougald at SS.

Blitz a LBer. Blitz a safety. In my opinion give Earl Thomas 2-3 blitzes, just would love to see him down behind some DL, striding around mocking different gaps and causing uneasiness to the opposing offenses thinking wtf is Earl Thomas gonna do.

Lastly, unlike last year Seahawks have Sheldon Richardson and a promising rookie in Naz Jones and Reed, who is starting to develop in to a more complete player than "best run stopper" in the draft.

You can do things with Jones and Richardson at DE. Not permanent looks but in certain situations.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Will Clark fill in fulltime? Want to see more out of this guy this year. Now's his chance

adeltaY

Reaction score
Clark was going to take over eventually anyway. Unfortunately, I don't think Avril was playing that great anyway, anyone agree with that? Hope he gets better and can decide if he wants to come back to the game on his own terms. I'm sure any kind of nerve injury is super scary and potentially very damaging.

Could Sheldon Richardson play some on the edges? The Jets were using him as a flippin 3-4 OLB and he did work there, so he should be able to move around.

Josea16

Reaction score
adeltaY":2qhqbede said:
Clark was going to take over eventually anyway. Unfortunately, I don't think Avril was playing that great anyway, anyone agree with that? Hope he gets better and can decide if he wants to come back to the game on his own terms. I'm sure any kind of nerve injury is super scary and potentially very damaging.

Could Sheldon Richardson play some on the edges? The Jets were using him as a flippin 3-4 OLB and he did work there, so he should be able to move around.
I've said this before but I think the plan going forward is to rebuild the DL inside out with Richardson as the centerpiece combined with McDowell, Clark, Jones and Smith especially given they haven't given up hope that McDowell may be back this year.

Incredibly with the fact that Jones is justifiably a superior DT and we snagged Richardson another superior DT while drafting a possible full sized Bennett that may play this year and Clark?

And they are saying Jordan will be in the mix soon as a LEO like Clemons in the past. Methinks we'll be fine. As long as Pete is here the defense should the least of our worries obviously.

massari

Reaction score
DE Jacquies Smith was just released by the Bucs. Maybe worth a look but is coming off an ACL injury.

13.5 sacks in 18 career starts...

chris98251

Reaction score
They said Richardson could move around some when they brought him in, this may be the type of situation we use that versatility.

Hawks46

Reaction score
First off, we don't even know if Avril will be out the full season. Unlike McDowell, who is at home resting and getting reevaluated, Avril is traveling with the team. It sounds like they can't tell how bad the injury is, so they're taking it very cautiously.

Pandion has it right when he was talking about Clark. He did most of his damage and came on really strong when Bennett went down. I think Clark is a guy that needs to play and get a feel for the game and establish a rhythm. I also think he has the potential to be more explosive than Avril was.

Dion Jordon sounds like he's 2-3 weeks away. He's listed at 6'6" and 275 lbs and they want him playing LEO. That could be pretty insane.

We have enough depth to be fine. It really all hinges on Clark stepping up.

Josea16

Reaction score
Hawks46":2dlwzx35 said:
First off, we don't even know if Avril will be out the full season. Unlike McDowell, who is at home resting and getting reevaluated, Avril is traveling with the team. It sounds like they can't tell how bad the injury is, so they're taking it very cautiously.

Pandion has it right when he was talking about Clark. He did most of his damage and came on really strong when Bennett went down. I think Clark is a guy that needs to play and get a feel for the game and establish a rhythm. I also think he has the potential to be more explosive than Avril was.

Dion Jordon sounds like he's 2-3 weeks away. He's listed at 6'6" and 275 lbs and they want him playing LEO. That could be pretty insane.

We have enough depth to be fine. It really all hinges on Clark stepping up.
Clark is stepping up and it looks we have something in Malcolm Smith. I don't think they miss a beat when it's all said and done.

Seymour

Reaction score
Josea16":1hx9qfe7 said:
Clark is stepping up and it looks we have something in Malcolm Smith. I don't think they miss a beat when it's all said and done.

We HAD something special in Malcolm Smith, a superbowl MVP. You are talking about Marcus Smith.

TwilightError

Reaction score
The Richardson brothers have been great. On offence and defence. Just use the bigger one to fill the void.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Marcus Smith is unproven in the long term. Sheldon's major contributions have been in run defense. Michael Bennett should be the key here, but honestly, I just don't see them doing much against this offensive line unless Shaquill Griffin has a great day in coverage. It's three good offensive lines Seattle has faced in three weeks.

Latest posts