How to get back in the playoffs ( How to become elite)

QWERTY

Reaction score
2022 Seahawks free agents:

Out.
Duane Brown
Gerald Everrett

Keep
Diggs 4 years 36mill
Penny 2 year 15mill
Green - 3 years 24 mill
DJ Reed 3 years 27 mill
Dissly - 1 year.
Woods - 1 year
Sidney Jones - 1year
Ryan Neal - 1 year

Seattle trades RW + DK to Eagles for pick 15,16 2022. 1st round pick 2023 and Darius Slay + Minshew.
Seattle trades Wagner to Chargers for Picks 3rd and 5th round pick of 2022.
Seattle trades Lockett to Broncos for Picks 3rd and 6th round 2022.

Pick # 15 and #16 Jordan Davis and Devonte Wyatt
Seattle own 2nd round: Bernhard Raimann (Or best T available)
Chargers/Broncos 3rd round picks: Trey Mcbride and Jake Ferguson.
Seattle own 3rd round pick: Purdy.

Also to note:
Cut: Myers, sign Matt Gay.
Sign: Ryan Jensen 4 years 50mil.

Ez.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The biggest takeaway here is you can post Mat Gay's name.

AgentDib

Reaction score
That doesn't work financially without borrowing an enormous amount of money from next year.

I suspect you are overlooking the fact that you'd be accepting nearly $60 million in dead money this season if you traded Russ, Lockett and Wagner. The $67 million in cap space that you are clearing is completely wiped out by that along with the $16.5m you'd have to pay Slay this year.

After your trades and cuts we'd have about $28 million left in salary cap to work with. Which you are expecting to then somehow fit all of the following contracts under:
Ryan Jensen @ 4 years 50mil
Diggs @ 4 years 36mill
DJ Reed @ 3 years 27 mill
Green @ 3 years 24 mill
Penny @ 2 year 15mill
Matt Gay @ ???
Dissly @ 1 year ??
Woods @ 1 year ??
Sidney Jones @ 1year ??
Ryan Neal @1 year ??

Plus you need money to sign all those draft picks, plus we need money for cheap veterans to fill in the holes that you haven't addressed.

Trading Russ only makes sense as part of a full rebuild where we load up on youth, clear all that dead cap, and are likely uncompetitive for at least this season and probably next as well. That's why I continue to think it is unlikely that Pete is going to even seriously consider it as long as he's here with a limited horizon.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Can another team soak up some of the cost of the cap hit from a Russ trade?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Trading #1 QB, #1 and #2 WRs, and the #1 defensive player and believing that is path to getting in the playoffs plus becoming elite is absurd. The chance of them being elite any time soon going down that road is minimal. The chance of them getting the #1 draft pick in 2023 and most likely in 2024 too would be quite high though, if that were to happen. Just my opinion.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You aren't going to become elite without an elite QB. Period.

You can make the playoffs like the Browns made the playoffs, maybe best case the Titans - but that is it.

And the Titans are a best-case where everything falls your way and you have otherworldly players at other key positions.

But either way, no QB = no success.

I like Minshew too but that isn't enough.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Spohawks":3qjxczk8 said:

How do are envisioning that working? Like when MLB teams include cash in a trade?

OP
OP
Q

QWERTY

Reaction score
AgentDib":10g2ulnn said:
That doesn't work financially without borrowing an enormous amount of money from next year.

I suspect you are overlooking the fact that you'd be accepting nearly $60 million in dead money this season if you traded Russ, Lockett and Wagner. The $67 million in cap space that you are clearing is completely wiped out by that along with the $16.5m you'd have to pay Slay this year.

After your trades and cuts we'd have about $28 million left in salary cap to work with. Which you are expecting to then somehow fit all of the following contracts under:
Ryan Jensen @ 4 years 50mil
Diggs @ 4 years 36mill
DJ Reed @ 3 years 27 mill
Green @ 3 years 24 mill
Penny @ 2 year 15mill
Matt g** @ ???
Dissly @ 1 year ??
Woods @ 1 year ??
Sidney Jones @ 1year ??
Ryan Neal @1 year ??

Plus you need money to sign all those draft picks, plus we need money for cheap veterans to fill in the holes that you haven't addressed.

Trading Russ only makes sense as part of a full rebuild where we load up on youth, clear all that dead cap, and are likely uncompetitive for at least this season and probably next as well. That's why I continue to think it is unlikely that Pete is going to even seriously consider it as long as he's here with a limited horizon.

I never expected Lockett's dead cap $$$ really high.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
hawkfan68":epqnwfh9 said:
Trading #1 QB, #1 and #2 WRs, and the #1 defensive player and believing that is path to getting in the playoffs plus becoming elite is absurd. The chance of them being elite any time soon going down that road is minimal. The chance of them getting the #1 draft pick in 2023 and most likely in 2024 too would be quite high though, if that were to happen. Just my opinion.
This right here! Op is crazy

AgentDib

Reaction score
Spohawks":3tuhpq8j said:
Not directly. The pro-rated bonus part of a contract stays with the original team and is due all at once, which is why I don't think we'll trade Russ and if we do I don't see it happening primarily for draft picks.

We could trade Russ for very expensive veteran players, where the other team would be doing basically the same thing we are. That's one of the reasons the Goff/Stafford trade worked. That strategy would be less of a rebuild and more of a talent swap if we felt that there were other expensive players we'd prefer to a QB, but that also seems on the unlikely side of the scale to me.

QWERTY":3tuhpq8j said:
I never expected Lockett's dead cap $$$ really high.
The version of your plan that could work is where we do those moves but can only afford a few of those players to re-sign and nobody expensive. Then we enter a full rebuild; play a lot of youth in 2022 and lose a lot games while we are getting the dead cap off our books and maybe even rolling over some cap to 2023. In the 2023 offseason we draft a QB with our top 3 draft pick and supplement all of the cheap rookie contracts with heavy spending in free agency.

Most of the teams that are good right now did something like that where it worked out. Most of the teams that are bad did something like that where it didn't work out.

OP
OP
Q

QWERTY

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3h5c828s said:

You can make the playoffs like the Browns made the playoffs, maybe best case the Titans - but that is it.

And the Titans are a best-case where everything falls your way and you have otherworldly players at other key positions.

You don’t need a elite QB to win the Super Bowl. Look at Russ in 2013 he threw for 300 yds 2x. Nick folk even won the Super Bowl as well.

My vision is the run game between Penny and Carson. Wear the D out and control the clock. Also your opp will have low scoring when the DL wreck their O

massari

Reaction score
Minshew puts the Hawks over the top imo. Who's gonna stop them?

John63

Reaction score
QWERTY":31qihwye said:
TwistedHusky":31qihwye said:

You don’t need an elite QB to win the Super Bowl. Look at Russ in 2013 he threw for 300 yds 2x. Nick folk even won the Super Bowl as well.

My vision is the run game between Penny and Carson. Wear the D out and control the clock. Also, your opp will have low scoring when the DL wreck their O

Yards alone do not make a QB elite.

Wilson in 2013 accounted for 3896 yards(run and pass), 27 TDS, and a 101 passer rating. He was top 10 in TDS, pass rating, YPA, and he did that while only being 22nd in attempts. that is Elite. Also, he had 4 4th qtr OT comeback wins also top 5 in the league. an avg QB could not do that.

Also, we had a top 3 defense and run game and that run game was only top 3 because of Wilson who was our 2nd leading rusher.

Now as to your vision that is great but again you need a top run game, a top defense, and you still need a QB that can make magic. If it was as easy as you think every team would be able to do it but yet very few have done it with a QB who is not in the upper echelon. We had a top defense and run game in 2011 and were 7-9. When you play the type of game you want to play you have a low margin for error and as I showed often need a QB that can make magic.

John63

Reaction score
massari":2qwjf715 said:
Minshew puts the Hawks over the top imo. Who's gonna stop them?

So let's see a guy who in his only season with more than 10 starts completes 60% of his passes, 21 tds, 6 ints, and a 91 passer rating is your answer.

So a guy whose best season is still worse than Wilson's worst season is your answer lol.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just wow.............Minshew? Sweet Jesus........just when you thought the site couldn't get any worse.......

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I don’t understand the fascination with Minshew at all. He couldn’t beat out Jalen Hurts.

flv

Reaction score
Spohawks":1d5mc2r5 said:
Basic Cap information:

Any money paid to a player has to be accounted for in salary cap calculations by the team that paid the money. As of March 4 2022 the Seahawks have paid Wilson $26M that has not yet been accounted for in the Seahawks salary cap calculations. $13M of that 'dead money' will be accounted for in 2022 regardless of whether Wilson is on the Seahawks roster or not. The remaining $13M is due to be accounted for by the Seahawks in 2023. The Seahawks could bring the remaining $13M dead money forward. They can't further delay it or avoid it.

In simplistic terms the salary cap is made up of 2 components. The 1st component is current season money for current year salary, roster bonuses, bonuses that are likely to be earned, (LTBE), bonuses that were NLTBE the previous season but were in fact earned, workout bonuses, etc. This component is calculated on an NFL year start to year end basis with the NFL year starting and finishing in March. The 2nd component is pro-rata signing bonuses/restructure bonuses, and future guaranteed money*. This component officially runs on a June 2nd through to June 1st year. If a player is cut or traded any future 2nd component dead money accelerates into the current 2nd component year. Thus if a player is cut or traded on or after June 2nd the dead money would all be in the following season's cap calculation.

* If the player was cut the team releasing the player would have to pay the future guarantee and account for it. If the player was traded the future guarantee would become the responsibility of the new team and the new team would have to account for it.

John63

Reaction score
What I think is funny is all these people saying lets trade Wilson. Okay, we trade him, then the FA does what it has been doing which means a bad draft, bad FA and we are 3-14 or something like that.

In a year where Wilson missed 3 games, played hurt for 3 more we were still 7-10.

Prior to that without the LOB but with Wilson we avg 10.5 wins a season while the defense ranked 18th, and our run game was 17th without the QB yards. If you get a new QB no guarantee you still get them.

Prior to that with the LOB and Wilson we avg 12 wins a season

Prior to that with a top defense the LOB and a top run game we avg 7 wins.

seems to me the answer is to get the run game and defense back up to at least the top 12, not get rid of your QB.