Huge overstep by Goodell

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I've actually changed my stance from this AM. At first I was ticked over the arrogance, but then when kid pointed out the strategy, well, now I'm impressed. Well played and certainly not "foul" either (technically speaking).

kidhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1mp787q6 said:
Many players will pay a heavy price for Roger completely boning the Ray Rice thing.

Aldon does as he should, Roger breaks the deal. Wasn't even domestic violence, but Roger is in the crosshairs for every single suspension right now.

What I don't get is how Roger telling clubs to de-activate specific players without actually having suspended them is anything but a violation of anti-trust. It was not bargained, and the NFL's primary defense of Anti Trust exemption has been that they are 32 independent clubs. Who do whatever Roger tells them.

I can't say for certain what happens behind closed doors, but I was under the impression that the commissioner's exempt list was created to give teams the ability to sit players without holding a roster spot. Not that Goodell made them put the players on it.

If anything the players in question are getting a paid vacation to work through the legal system before any financial punishment occurs. It allows teams to not have to deal with the PR nightmare of having to either cut a player before he's found guilty or holding onto them and feeling the wrath of the public ire, including losing substantial partners such as what was happening to Minnesota when the Peterson news first broke. It gave time for the process to play out without Peterson losing a dime of his pay.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":3uqmv7hy said:
I've actually changed my stance from this AM. At first I was ticked over the arrogance, but then when kid pointed out the strategy, well, now I'm impressed. Well played and certainly not "foul" either (technically speaking).

I see the point Kid is making...

...but its basically a complicated way to get where they should go all along.

IE...the decision should never be in Goodells hands to begin with. Him making a decision that forced the NFLPA to do something so that it HAS to go to arbitration is ridiculous.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":uym2zfmk said:
pehawk":uym2zfmk said:

IE...the decision should never be in Goodells hands to begin with. Him making a decision that forced the NFLPA to do something so that it HAS to go to arbitration is ridiculous.

Goodell's job is to look out for the good of the league. The player's union is to look out for the players. This scenario has both of them doing their job, and the league does no more damage to it's already tarnished reputation in this department.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kidhawk":2rczo4os said:
Marvin49":2rczo4os said:
pehawk":2rczo4os said:

Goodell's job is to look out for the good of the league. The player's union is to look out for the players. This scenario has both of them doing their job, and the league does no more damage to it's already tarnished reputation in this department.

I get you. Given the existing structure I'd agree it's a good move.

My prob is it should never be in Goodells hands to begin with. The system needs to change.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":2wriklbv said:
Marvin49":2wriklbv said:
pehawk":2wriklbv said:

Exactly. Goodell outflanked them within the rules and without using autonomous authority. Well played.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":26itoww2 said:
I get you. Given the existing structure I'd agree it's a good move.

My prob is it should never be in Goodells hands to begin with. The system needs to change.

As I said above, Goodell is a brilliant man.

The way you change the system is through the CBA. If you want to make a change both sides have to agree. Goodell will ask for something in return from the Players Association in return for giving up the ability to decide these cases. I don't know what he'll ask, but he'll want something and therein lies the rub

chris98251

Reaction score
Goodell is playing politics and making a arbitrator the bad guy now, he's sly as a Fox and wants to scurry out the back door of being accountable, what I thnk is missing is how this years handling of all these situations is going to explode in the next contract or if they vote to bust this one, I remember reading that there is a an option to do that at some point.

The fact that one person promised that time served was going to be good enough is also a big sticking point in this, I see the argeument of the league that his timed served was with pay, he now needs time without pay, that being the case he was wrongfully discharged from the team then earlier if there was just a case and no decision made.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is on the NFLPA as much as it is on Goodell. They agreed to this and should have set guidelilns, just more evidence of incompetence by DeMaurice Smith.

Where was he when players were on the front page for domestic violence? Why wasn't he out front of it all telling the viewiing public that 99% of the players are great people who work in charities instead of letting the story be all about NFL players are brutal people who beat their wives and their kids?

All he could be bothered to do was complain about Roger, typical politician, don't offer a solution, just point the finger at the other guy, that's easiest.

And don't think Roger Goodell is "arbitrarily" suspending AP for the rest of the season. It's a bargaining tool and he would be a fool not to use it. His job is to make things easier for the owners, while DeMauice Smith's job is supposed to be making things easier for the players.

Just because you disagree with what someone is doing doesn't make them wrong. Roger is doing his job, if he didn't. he would get fired. DeMaurice Smith needs to be fired, because he let the players get screwed on the disciplinary stuff in the CBA. He is fortunate that the Ray RIce incident happened because now it gives him leverage to do something that he should have done years ago.

And just to respond to those that say "it's a violation of the CBA!" No, it's not.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm with ya ivotuk, kid swayed me on it. Settle down, I still love you.

frosted21

Reaction score
kidhawk":3twlyb6k said:
Goodell is brilliant here. There is absolutely NO way any realistic suspension would go over with the general public. He suspends him and tells him to get help and then he can return. The Players Union files an immediate appeal. Goodell allows it to go to a neutral arbitrator, then whatever decision is made is out of his hands and removes any potential for a repeat of the Ray Rice episode.

Not to say Goodell isn't a complete ass, but he's a brilliant one.

The problem with your theory is that Rog is the one who hears the appeal as well - not a neutral arbitrator.

mikeak

Reaction score
frosted21":3lwegpyp said:
kidhawk":3lwegpyp said:
Goodell is brilliant here. There is absolutely NO way any realistic suspension would go over with the general public. He suspends him and tells him to get help and then he can return. The Players Union files an immediate appeal. Goodell allows it to go to a neutral arbitrator, then whatever decision is made is out of his hands and removes any potential for a repeat of the Ray Rice episode.

The problem with your theory is that Rog is the one who hears the appeal as well - not a neutral arbitrator.

Not correct

Several arbitration cases were reduced prior to Rice. It is why Goodell went with 2 games for Rice instead of max 4

kidhawk

Reaction score
frosted21":8a9exd2z said:
kidhawk":8a9exd2z said:

Not necessarily. Rice's case was through a neutral arbitrator and the NFLPA already requested one for this case

frosted21

Reaction score
The reason the NFL granted a neutral party for Rice was because of the conflict of interest involved with Roger. According to Florio at PFT, Goodell will be the one handling the appeal. They can demand a neutral arbitrator but the NFL doesn't have to provide one.

frosted21

Reaction score
mikeak":3ml0oe7w said:
Already arbitrator involved

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spor ... long-time/

Arbitrator lowered the penalty on Reed and upheld it on Gordon

Arbitrator will be used. Goodel had never been and cannot be an arbitrator as he is one party to the verdict.

I think you're confused. That has nothing to do with his suspension appeal - the grievance the arbitrator ruled on was a separate issue, regarding his being on the commissioner's exempt list. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the appeal of his suspension.

His appeal regarding the suspension hasn't even been filed yet ...

frosted21

Reaction score
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/18/adrian-peterson-suspension-appeal-roger-goodell/

The NFL Players Association announced it would appeal the verdict, and went further, saying it would also demand a neutral third-party arbitrator to hear the appeal—not commissioner Roger Goodell. The 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement between players and owners gives Goodell the right to hear such appeals, and though the league is considering a new Personal Conduct Policy that could remove Goodell as the everyday disciplinarian on cases such as this, it’s not believed that Goodell would cede his authority before the new policy is in place.

kidhawk

Reaction score
frosted21":24ztwu20 said:
The reason the NFL granted a neutral party for Rice was because of the conflict of interest involved with Roger. According to Florio at PFT, Goodell will be the one handling the appeal. They can demand a neutral arbitrator but the NFL doesn't have to provide one.

Nobody is saying they have to provide one, but that doesn't mean they won't do it. The NFL is in damage control mode right now, and letting the arbitrator handle the appeal is absolutely the best way to spin this in the NFL's favor. Roger is smart enough to know that.

frosted21

Reaction score
Fair enough, though mikeak did say they have to provide one:

'Arbitrator will be used. Goodel had never been and cannot be an arbitrator as he is one party to the verdict.'

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
frosted21":nmzo06ni said:
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/18/adrian-peterson-suspension-appeal-roger-goodell/

The NFL Players Association announced it would appeal the verdict, and went further, saying it would also demand a neutral third-party arbitrator to hear the appeal—not commissioner Roger Goodell. The 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement between players and owners gives Goodell the right to hear such appeals, and though the league is considering a new Personal Conduct Policy that could remove Goodell as the everyday disciplinarian on cases such as this, it’s not believed that Goodell would cede his authority before the new policy is in place.

LOL, why bother?

We're going to appeal to the guy who already handed down the punishment! That'll show em!

Latest posts