Huge overstep by Goodell

mikeak

Reaction score
frosted21":2n981dth said:
mikeak":2n981dth said:
Already arbitrator involved

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spor ... long-time/

Arbitrator lowered the penalty on Reed and upheld it on Gordon

Arbitrator will be used. Goodel had never been and cannot be an arbitrator as he is one party to the verdict.

I think you're confused. That has nothing to do with his suspension appeal - the grievance the arbitrator ruled on was a separate issue, regarding his being on the commissioner's exempt list. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the appeal of his suspension.

His appeal regarding the suspension hasn't even been filed yet ...

I am not confused - I understand that this was only one part of it. My point is that independent arbitrator was involved in part, has been involved in many other parts

Your MMQB link below though points out that apparently for conduct it is not required.

I don't see Goodell being the arbitrator on AP's case. He doesn't want to continue being in the crosshair. Pick a 3rd party - get out of the way and if it goes your way then great you can say you were right and if it goes the other way you can say "we tried"

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":entbcgd1 said:
Goodell is brilliant here. There is absolutely NO way any realistic suspension would go over with the general public. He suspends him and tells him to get help and then he can return. The Players Union files an immediate appeal. Goodell allows it to go to a neutral arbitrator, then whatever decision is made is out of his hands and removes any potential for a repeat of the Ray Rice episode.

Not to say Goodell isn't a complete ass, but he's a brilliant one.

I agree with this.

So....

do I drop him in FF or not? Cheers! :thirishdrinkers:

kidhawk

Reaction score
Apparently Goodell will NOT be handling the appeal

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/535877031943086080[/tweet]

I'm shocked

:sarcasm_off:

frosted21

Reaction score
Bravo, you were right, Goodell recused himself of hearing the appeal. Looks like he passed it off to one of his cronies..

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/535878082393956352[/tweet]

mikeak

Reaction score
Arbitrator should rule he got paid so he wasn't properly penalized, but the team was without their player. Therefore the ruling is a fine equal to 4 / 6 game suspension AND he is eligible to play.

Without putting my personal thoughts on if he should be suspended more or less that would actually be the relatively unbiased opinion that aligns better with the CBA and use of this designated excemption list

The big problem for Goodell with this suspension is that team will stop putting people on the exemption list which is bad for publicity. If you put them there and then know they will get suspended in addition you may as well play them which will reflect bad on the team but even more so on the league as a whole

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
mikeak":38irj7oe said:
Arbitrator should rule he got paid so he wasn't properly penalized, but the team was without their player. Therefore the ruling is a fine equal to 4 / 6 game suspension AND he is eligible to play.

Without putting my personal thoughts on if he should be suspended more or less that would actually be the relatively unbiased opinion that aligns better with the CBA and use of this designated excemption list

The big problem for Goodell with this suspension is that team will stop putting people on the exemption list which is bad for publicity. If you put them there and then know they will get suspended in addition you may as well play them which will reflect bad on the team but even more so on the league as a whole

Drat, someone already picked him up again in my league.

frosted21

Reaction score
Adrian Peterson - RB - Vikings

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora would be "surprised" if Adrian Peterson played football this season.

Appeals officer Harold Henderson is viewed as an "extension" of Roger Goodell after spending many years working in the league office. Therefore, the NFL seems confident he will rule on the league's behalf, as opposed to siding with the players' union. Peterson's suspension appeal will be hard on December 2.
Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Largent80

Reaction score
Who cares?

In other news, Peterson has planted acres of trees to produce switches to beat the snot out of idiotic 49er fans that think Kaepernick is the "answer".

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Adrian Peterson is an admitted child abuser who lacerated his child's scrotum with a tree branch. It sickens me that anyone would try to defend him. He doesn't deserve an NFL career, so in my eyes he got off light with a year's suspension.

hawk45

Reaction score
A bit off topic but if I am an nfl owner the idea of the NFLPA making disciplinary procedures a big thing during the next negotiation sounds fantastic.
The owners would love to have the NFLPA drag disciplinary concessions out of them by giving up things closer to compensation. Even if there are no direct horse trades of that nature, the more time and energy spent on discipline the less that can be spent on money.
Players not in trouble with the law stand to lose so that small few have a better process when they screw up.
Viewed that way, the more outrage goodell generates by being arbitrary, the better.
No downside. Dislike of goodell's heavy-handedness by those fans who care doesn't even make the radar next to money considerations.
If the owners could erect a statue of goodell they would.

Latest posts