Hugh Millen sounding off this Morning

ludakrishna

Reaction score
He's quickly becoming my favorite analyst on radio due to him having the cahones to call things as they are.

On the last play, he says that if Russ audibles to a slant, it's an easy touchdown and win for us. Is Russ afraid to throw the slant to win a game?

"Appallingly bad football by the Seahawks. NO tried to hand the game to Seattle on a silver platter & the Hawks didnt take it." - Hugh Millen

Attachments

• IMG_20161031_105141.jpg
    IMG_20161031_105141.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,702
OP
OP
L

ludakrishna

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":18hgequf said:
Hugh Millen is a windbag. Lost all respect for that guy in Wilson's rookie year.

That was a turnoff for me as well, but over the past year he's been giving Russ his rightful praise but also providing analysis without rose colored glasses on.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Pretty easy to armchair QB about what a team should have done once you get to see the playcall on the defensive side of the ball.

I mean, yeah, if you know in advance that a team is going to be blitzing their LB through the A gap while playing off coverage of course you wish you had called a slant on the side of the blitz, but that's monday morning quarterbacking at its absolute finest.

Of course, if that LB shows early and Wilson audibles you can also be damn sure he knows what's happening and is going to be sitting on the slant route, if not baiting you until still throwing it to the spot he already knows to cover (if the Hawks audible after you show a blitz there you can therefore eliminate a run play b/c Michael of where Michael is lined up, you know you're safely bracketed up on the trips side, and you know that the corner route isn't going to be a problem, as that's the only hole in the look -- which is the one Wilson took in the one-on-one matchup).

With what the Saints were showing pre-snap Wilson made the right read, and with the play call locked in he made the right throw based on what the Saints presented.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Hugh Millen sucks and I can't stand his breakdowns and analysis. He just uses bunch of weird lingo and all those guys at KJR bows down to him. After the UW/Utah game he interviewed the Huskies DB coach Jimmy Lake and it went something like this:

Hugh: coach you were in two high all game.
Lake: I'm glad you thought that because we played one high all game.

Hugh Millen is outdated and is often wrong about a lot of things like preferring Matt Flynn over Russ. He uses a lot of outdated football words and when it comes to breaking down games he doesn't have a grasp of todays football. He only sounds smart because he uses words the casual football fans don't understand so to them it sounds like he knows his x's and o's.

OP
OP
L

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Popeyejones":10yfp1ta said:
Pretty easy to armchair QB about what a team should have done once you get to see the playcall on the defensive side of the ball.

I mean, yeah, if you know in advance that a team is going to be blitzing their LB through the A gap while playing off coverage of course you wish you had called a slant on the side of the blitz, but that's monday morning quarterbacking at its absolute finest.

With what the Saints were showing pre-snap Wilson made the right read, and with the play call locked in he made the right throw based on what the Saints presented.

Watching Dak as a rookie make the right audibles on the Eagles D last night showed me that either he is a) much smarter than RW at reading coverage and making audibles or b) Russ doesn't have the freedom that some think he has on our offense. Enough with RW protection baloney. He missed reads last year and the same is true for this year. At some point he needs to be held accountable and unfortunately that's not the way SEA fanbase / media operates.

Tical21

Reaction score
He's right. We go to a slant there, we win, period. Pretty easy alignment read. We either don't have it in our repertoire, or Russ didn't make the read. Either cost us a game.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ludakrishna":2n6blvkt said:
Popeyejones":2n6blvkt said:

Watching Dak as a rookie make the right audibles on the Eagles D last night showed me that either he is a) much smarter than RW at reading coverage and making audibles or b) Russ doesn't have the freedom that some think he has on our offense. Enough with RW protection baloney. He missed reads last year and the same is true for this year. At some point he needs to be held accountable and unfortunately that's not the way SEA fanbase / media operates.

Don't want to get in a nitpicking argument the day after a loss when people are sensitive, but I wasn't commenting on critiques of Wilson being valid or not (and I'll bow out of this thread after this post).

Instead, I was saying that Millen's point is only valid in a scenario that doesn't actually exist: you call the audible knowing what the LB is going to do in advance of him doing it, and he also doesn't know what you're doing when you call the audible and therefore can't adjust (and with they way that's lined up the only possible audibles based on what the LB is doing is to the slant or to the fade, and the Saints were trying to force the fade, which the Hawks took, as it was the best chance -- the Saints were basically willing to pin the game on a jumb ball with that play call).

If the Saints came out in two high I have no doubt the Seahawks would have audibled out of that call, but even that's simplifying things a ton, as in the NFL these days the "primary target" isn't defined until after the defense has presented at the LOS (i.e. if the Saints come out in two high your primary read is going to be to the trips side, whereas if they come out as they did the primary read is Kearse in isolation on the opposite side).

NFL offenses these days are almost entirely predicated on correctly deducing what the defense is willing to give, and than taking what they'll give up -- it's what force plays, RPOs, and so on are exclusively based on. This is, like it or not, a case of that. The Seahawks did what all good modern offenses do: they correctly took what the defense was willing to give. Once you start trying to take what the defense won't give you're basically in Colin Kaepernick territory, and you do it because you lack skill, not as a strategy.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
dopeboy206":1n64nta8 said:
Hugh Millen sucks and I can't stand his breakdowns and analysis. He just uses bunch of weird lingo and all those guys at KJR bows down to him. After the UW/Utah game he interviewed the Huskies DB coach Jimmy Lake and it went something like this:

Hugh: coach you were in two high all game.
Lake: I'm glad you thought that because we played one high all game.

Hugh Millen is outdated and is often wrong about a lot of things like preferring Matt Flynn over Russ. He uses a lot of outdated football words and when it comes to breaking down games he doesn't have a grasp of todays football. He only sounds smart because he uses words the casual football fans don't understand so to them it sounds like he knows his x's and o's.

Yep ^...There's an old saying, "If You're So Smart Why Ain't You Rich" .....TRANSLATION > Hugh Millen, If You're So Smart, Why Ain't You A Head Coach In The NFL?....To add.... Why aren't you even an assistant Coach?..Position Coach?
You don't have to be a brainiac to dissect on how a play goes awry, AFTER you've had the time to review-review-review it IN SLOW MOTION.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":xr33752i said:
He's right. We go to a slant there, we win, period. Pretty easy alignment read. We either don't have it in our repertoire, or Russ didn't make the read. Either cost us a game.
I see you took the same classes as Millen :lol:

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
What if they call a slant and the DB just tackles him a yard or two shy of the GL? It's not that big a cushion.

Might as well just say, 'why didn't they just throw a touchdown instead?'

drewba

Reaction score
Mike Holmgren is on KJR now and agrees with Hugh that the play should have been audibled to a slant based on the pre-snap alignment and that it would have been an almost certain touchdown.

OP
OP
L

ludakrishna

Reaction score
drewba":1ax4vuxt said:
Mike Holmgren is on KJR now and agrees with Hugh that the play should have been audibled to a slant based on the pre-snap alignment and that it would have been an almost certain touchdown.

Per fans on this site even Holmgren may not be qualified enough for them.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Kearse needs to know the situation too. He cuts in and Russ throws it to him, not that hard.
But yeah, it's all on Russ. Hmmm
Also, they barely got the play off, yet he's magically supposed to find time to audible?? ok

OP
OP
L

ludakrishna

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3px8ix01 said:
Kearse needs to know the situation too. He cuts in and Russ throws it to him, not that hard.
But yeah, it's all on Russ. Hmmm
Also, they barely got the play off, yet he's magically supposed to find time to audible?? ok

The blame then goes on the OC for not getting the play called fast enough.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Tical21":1im71phr said:

Cost us a game?
Was there not 59:58 of time played before this?
Just curious

A-Dog

Reaction score
Yeah, what I am wondering about is how much time Russ had to change the play. No timeouts, blitz coming, clock winding down. Anyone have a link to a replay of the whole thing, from the time the previous play ended?

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
ludakrishna":s16751bd said:
Popeyejones":s16751bd said:

Wow, didn't think this place could get any more delusional. When dak accomplishes half of what Russ has done then come back and spout this crap until then buy yourself a Cowboys hat and hang out on their forum. Every damn game Russ has the Hawks in position to win. Every football team on earth has a fade route in their playbook and I'm pretty sure there has been hundreds if not thousands of touchdown made on that exact play. If the game was easy then Newton,Marino, and plenty of other great abs would have a super bowl win. ALL IN OR ALL OUT

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Hugh is absolutely correct. Holmgren then came on the show and agreed. Terrible missed read by Russell. I know people here are still butthurt that Millen was pulling for Flynn over Russell in 2012, but get over it. The idea that random internet posters know more about football than Holmgren and Millen is just asinine. Russell blew it there.

endzorn

Reaction score
Everyone knows that as soon as Millen made the "eat my microphone" comment it automatically made all .NETters more qualified as football analysts. His analysis is littered with examples of him being wrong, unlike people here who have never been proven wrong when they say things like "I've said from the beginning this would happen" or "I knew so-and-so would do this." Stupid Millen. I bet he thinks just because he played years of professional football and sat in on countless meetings that he knows more than people who have NFL rewind and know exactly what's happening. KJR are dummy.

Skansi82

Reaction score
You know what else wins the Hawks that game? If Ryan gets the hold down and Hauschka makes the kick before halftime, and then makes a pretty easy kick to win the game.