Huskies @ USC

mrblitz

Reaction score
hopefully, sark is never seahawks' oc. never.

kearly

Reaction score
Last year it felt like Chris Petersen had about two or three 'wtf' decisions a game, but in 2015 I don't know if I've seen a bad decision from him yet.

It also looked like the DC was a massive under-achiever last year. This year he looks like an over-achiever.

Are the Huskies an actual, good team yet? I don't know, but I definitely feel way better about the performance of the coaching staff than I did a year ago.

As far as USC, I've never really bought into Kessler. He racks up video game numbers against bad defenses, but is just an average or worse QB when facing a defense with a pulse. He's not much of a tools QB either.

I think Sark did a decent job of getting his players to fight hard at UW, but at USC I don't think he's found a way to rally the troops there yet. There's just a sense of apathy throughout the USC program right now. I know it was a Thursday Night game, but seeing all the empty seats (and loud visiting UW fans) shocked the hell out of me.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't know if I buy into Gaskin's talent, but he had a very good game. Dude knows how to feel out his blocks.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Petersen is a better defensive coach. When he took over as HC at Boise St, they started playing way better defense. UW's defense looks as disciplined and sound as I've seen in the past 20 years, and that's after losing so many key players.

What's with all the Chip Kelly back to college talk? It's still way early in the NFL season to assume he's on the hot seat. He's had 2 winning seasons his first 2 years as an NFL coach. I doubt a losing season this year will get him fired, especially since there was so much roster turnover the past off-season.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3u2kg5cf said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Petersen is a better defensive coach. When he took over as HC at Boise St, they started playing way better defense. UW's defense looks as disciplined and sound as I've seen in the past 20 years, and that's after losing so many key players.

What's with all the Chip Kelly back to college talk? It's still way early in the NFL season to assume he's on the hot seat. He's had 2 winning seasons his first 2 years as an NFL coach. I doubt a losing season this year will get him fired, especially since there was so much roster turnover the past off-season.
Kelly was directly responsible for the massive roster turnover in Philly, so if it doesn't work and the Eagles crash & burn, he will get the majority of the blame, and rightly so.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":a8b683mr said:
fenderbender123":a8b683mr said:

Kelly was directly responsible for the massive roster turnover in Philly, so if it doesn't work and the Eagles crash & burn, he will get the majority of the blame, and rightly so.

While I agree with your assessment of the situation, I think they are still another year out from turning him loose should he continue a downward trajectory. He seems to still have a fairly strong fan backing with the Eagles and Ducks fans which might carry enough weight to keep him on if he misses the playoffs this year.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":1482d74b said:
SeatownJay":1482d74b said:
fenderbender123":1482d74b said:

While I agree with your assessment of the situation, I think they are still another year out from turning him loose should he continue a downward trajectory. He seems to still have a fairly strong fan backing with the Eagles and Ducks fans which might carry enough weight to keep him on if he misses the playoffs this year.

Yup. And it's not like his team is getting demolished. They are losing really close games. I expect them to start winning once everything starts to gel.

And if they fire him after this year, I won't be surprised if another NFL team picks him up. I'd give him a shot.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Before anyone gets too excited about the win over USC, let's remember a couple things about Sark. This is about the time of year when he starts losing games. He always struggles in the middle of the season. Also, he is continuing to show that he is incapable of sticking to play calls that play to the strength of his offense. We all saw how much success USC had running the football, but he kept abandoning the run for pass plays. The same thing happened when he was at Washington and had Polk and then Sankey as RBs...abandoned the running game and left wins on the table. Why doesn't he learn?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Tical21":2tels1sz said:
Hasselbeck":2tels1sz said:
SeatownJay":2tels1sz said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TedMillerRK/status/652335116010696704[/tweet]

Yeeeeeeep.

Funny thing is, all shit talk aside to the Husky fans, I just knew if there was a Sarky loss on the schedule.. it was definitely tonight. This does not surprise me whatsoever. :lol:
You're a damn liar.

Wish I were kidding, but this is exactly what USC does. Sark, like Kiffin before him and even to a lesser extent Pete, is notorious for laying eggs against teams he shouldn't

They will somehow beat ND and/or Utah then punt a game against Colorado. This is the USC way.

ivotuk

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2mdejwv4 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/652348573204541440[/tweet] :rofl:

LOL! :lol:

I'm going to be chuckling about that one all day :th2thumbs:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":3n2wzszw said:
SeatownJay":3n2wzszw said:
fenderbender123":3n2wzszw said:

The Eagles don't have to fire him, Chip can jump ship. Saban did and it was the best thing for his coaching career.

He may not wind up at SC, but I firmly believe he will be back in college next year

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Ducks insiders swear that chip Kelly will never come back to college. He hates the recruiting process, and even more than that he hates the politics of dealing with boosters. They say he'd take an assistant job in the nfl over a head coaching job at the college level.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":9ctsbcr7 said:
Ducks insiders swear that chip Kelly will never come back to college. He hates the recruiting process, and even more than that he hates the politics of dealing with boosters. They say he'd take an assistant job in the nfl over a head coaching job at the college level.

That's just their way of trying to deny that Chip would go to USC.

;)

Subzero717

Reaction score
What NFL team would hire him after watching his offense? He's a college coach and it isn't working out. The only place I see him going is back to college.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1o8f1p75 said:

This, and the fact that he wanted to go back east. If he goes back to college, it almost certainly won't be in Los Angeles.

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
I've never heard of, nor get the "targeting" call. I saw it again on replay. And when they came back and said after reviewing the play, that they would modify it to roughing the passer or something.

Then after he was ejected, they said he would be disqualified for the first half of the next game as well. Is that right? I don't get it.

I just don't see a difference in targeting and roughing. Yes, the was a little helmet to helmet. But I didn't see any big difference. :Dunno:

JSeahawks

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2kbpw6su said:
I've never heard of, nor get the "targeting" call. I saw it again on replay. And when they came back and said after reviewing the play, that they would modify it to roughing the passer or something.

Then after he was ejected, they said he would be disqualified for the first half of the next game as well. Is that right? I don't get it.

I just don't see a difference in targeting and roughing. Yes, the was a little helmet to helmet. But I didn't see any big difference. :Dunno:

It was basically a rule they came up with before last season to try and deal with the backlash from concussions. If you lead with the helmet against a receiver, a qb or anybody it's targeting and a suspension. It's a stupid over reaction so they can say they take head injuries seriously. In this case I agreed with the roughing the passer call cuz victor did come in high, but a 3 quarter suspension from that hit is ridiculous. It wasnt malicious and certainly didnt seem intentional.

Chapow

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":27hv3fqk said:
I am still confused how we won that one.

Every single time 23 or 25 got the ball, they would scamper for at least 8. We could not stop them, I thought they were just going to march up the field into the endzone like some unstoppable force.

1st down after 1st down, then whenever Kessler would drop back to pass I would breathe a sigh of relief because now I knew that not only would that pass not likely be complete, but they would not likely run it anymore.

It was like a banner letting me know the drive would be over shortly.

But one of their backs was averaging something like 7-8 yrds a carry. I don't understand how, in a game that was within a single TD, USC kept going away from something that our defense clearly could not stop.

I am still confused by it. That said, I remember being on the other side as a UW fan of a Sark coached team, wondering why Sark kept doing things that were not working and going away from the very things our team had as strengths. Thank goodness those days are over, though his crew was clearly an amazing group of recruiters.

This.

As stoked as I am about the win, that was the worst coaching and worst play calling I have ever seen.