Husky Basketball

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":30q3wbq1 said:
Have they hit the wall?

I think they have to go 3-2 to finish out the year and probably win at least one game in the Pac12 tournament if they want to make the dance. It's very do-able. WSU and Stanford at home should both be wins. At Oregon is most likely a loss. Then they just need to win either at home against Cal or against the Beavers on the road.
It isn't a wall. Opposing coaches finally realized they are two screens away from having four mistmatches every time down the court. After the shot, they turn into mismatches under the rim, and then when we scramble to compensate for the mismatches it leaves shooters open. When you get behind, you can't catch up without getting stops.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
If they don't make the tournament this year, Lorenzo needs to go. Two first-rounders and a senior scoring 20+ per. We're more talented than just about every team we play. Just so disappointing.

getnasty

Reaction score
Tical21":gm9w46ch said:
If they don't make the tournament this year, Lorenzo needs to go. Two first-rounders and a senior scoring 20+ per. We're more talented than just about every team we play. Just so disappointing.

There gonna have to win the Pac-12 tournament to get in, because they don't have one good win to there name, or at least onexpensive that I can think of. Romar can recruit he just can't coach, seems to be the theme at UW of late. Tons of talents nothing to show for it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Was looking at Past records of UW coaches,1 final 4 (1953) 1 elite 8 3-4 sweet 16s I don't know if change is better when you look at the history as a whole it's not very good.I just don't know who can do better than Romar,maybe if he just lets his coaches do the in game stuff while he recruits and gets the credit that could be best.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Tical21":2h61cigf said:

They won't fire him. They have a top 10 recruit coming in next year who is considered the best recruit in the Romar era. If we fire Romar then we most likely lose Markelle Fultz. If Fultz wasn't coming in, I'd say fire him after this year. But Husky fans need to understand that if we fire Romar, we lose an impact player in Fultz and we probably lose one or two of our really good pieces to transfers.

getnasty":2h61cigf said:
Tical21":2h61cigf said:

There gonna have to win the Pac-12 tournament to get in, because they don't have one good win to there name, or at least onexpensive that I can think of. Romar can recruit he just can't coach, seems to be the theme at UW of late. Tons of talents nothing to show for it.

No they don't. If we take care of business at home against Stanford and WSU and find a way to get a split against the Oregon schools then I think we are sitting in good position. Winning on the road against one of the Oregon schools is a big IF though. I think we need 4 wins total between now and Selection Sunday.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
I think they need to win their next 5.

Why does it matter if Fultz comes here for a year if Romar is still coaching? Another disappointing season? Why? We're just going to waste the talent. What's the point?

The best chance the opposing teams have of beating us is to out-couch us, and it happens every game. Sometimes we win anyways. When the other team gets open shots all game long, and you get none, that is a coaching problem. Has the game passed him by? We shot like 30% last night. Utah shot 67% against us. 67%. That's coaching.

I love Lorenzo, and I'll probably cry when he leaves, but this is the second time in five years where we have had multiple elite, 1st round NBA talent type players, and won't make the tournament. That is REALLY hard for a coach to do. Not even make the tournament! I'm not talking about Sweet 16 or Elite 8. Not even make the tournament. That's difficult.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Fultz is most likely one-and-done unless he really disappoints next year. He is a once in a lifetime recruit, I can't see us firing Romar knowing that Fultz will de-commit. The only reason that he is coming here is because of Romar.

Lets keep things in perspective though. This team was picked to finish in between 10th and 12th in all preseason media polls. This team completely over-achieved early in the season. While this team is really talented, they have a lot of flaws. They are very limited upfront with Dime and Dickerson as the only true bigs. We are really young, 4th youngest team in the nation. And we have almost no bench. Dime is the only player who gives us production off the bench. Crisp has been horrible since conference play started and has clearly hit the wall and lost confidence. Green is just too inconsistent and I don't see him being a consistent contributor until his junior year.

If Romar can't get it done next year, then he is gone. And getting to the tournament won't be enough. I'd say Sweet 16 should be the goal next year if we bring everyone back. If Murray and Chriss stay, we likely have 3 first round picks on that team. Don't forget that next year we also get the Auburn transfer Atewe and the big man from New Zealand, Timmons.

If we do fire Romar, who is the replacement? Washington isn't exactly a hotspot for basketball. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Crizilla

Reaction score
yes, the guy can't coach defense. Losing to colorado 81-80 then to oregon state 82-81 is unacceptable. It's been a nice 10+ year run (not really).

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
I dunno, but our bigs-- Crisp and Murray, got exposed on the glass last night.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
What other school in the country would give Romar another year?

Even with the supposed great class coming in, what confidence do you have that he will suddenly learn to coach like the best of them?

He needs to go, next year's recruiting class be damned.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Is Dick Fain the biggest homer/whiner husky ever? I tuned in to hear what they had to say about the UO game, and it was just another day of crying about the loss to OSU. I bet I could re watch that beav game, and find 3-4 big calls that went the huskies way. Move on Dick.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
CPHawk":1x9c4q85 said:
Is Dick Fain the biggest homer/whiner husky ever? I tuned in to hear what they had to say about the UO game, and it was just another day of crying about the loss to OSU. I bet I could re watch that beav game, and find 3-4 big calls that went the huskies way. Move on Dick.

Losing to OSU most likely cost them the chance to make the NCAA tourney.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
hawkfan68":23uubuaq said:
CPHawk":23uubuaq said:

Losing to OSU most likely cost them the chance to make the NCAA tourney.

No doubt about it. Our tourney hopes went up in flames on a desperation 3 point shot at the buzzer. Weird how that works out. On a side note, I'd prefer to win a bunch of games in the NIT than get dominated in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Ducks and dawgs in the tourney today. As a duck fan I'm worried about this game. Uw has everything to play for while the ducks are pretty much locked into a 2nd or 3rd seed in the big dance. I think uw has a lot more top end talent (nba talent) then uo does, but Altman can coach circles around romar. Wish Stanford would have done more to wear your boys down yesterday.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Altman is underrated, and you're right, we look so lost against him. Always a step behind. Our hopes with more structured teams like that is that we come out so athletic and so out-of-control that it throws the opposition off their game, and brings them into a streetball game. Seemingly never works against Oregon. They do annoying stuff like back-door us to death and really take advantage of our lack of discipline. God I hate the Ducks.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
It is so awesome to listen to KC do a game that he has a rooting interest in.