OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Gotta make that dunk! Gotta get that rebound!! ahhhhhhhh

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Pac12 basketball officials make pac12 football officials look good. And I'm saying this from the perspective of both teams.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Romar has got to go. I'm so sick of his face and lack of defense. Pathetic. Constantly giving up 80+ a game. Get out and never come back you POS.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Crizilla":3swxu9bz said:
Romar has got to go. I'm so sick of his face and lack of defense. Pathetic. Constantly giving up 80+ a game. Get out and never come back you POS.
Whoa. Dude. I've never been a huge fan of his X's and 0's, and his defensive philosophy failed miserably this year, but there is no place for calling that guy a POS. You may not remember what this program was like before he got here. If nothing else, the pure class he has brought to this program, and the quality of the young men he has helped mold forever prevents him from EVER justly being referred to as a "POS." That's bush.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Nope. Sorry. You don't earn my respect with having the 329th ranked defense. He has had plenty of time to figure it out.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Crizilla":jal9ev58 said:
Nope. Sorry. You don't earn my respect with having the 329th ranked defense. He has had plenty of time to figure it out.

I think what tical is getting at is that the man himself is not a pos. you may not like him as a coach but he's a good dude and seems to do things the right way. No need to call him names.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Tough loss, but in the end Oregon was the better and more experienced team. There is a reason why they won the Pac12. We just made mistakes that a freshman team will make. And we didn't make the plays that experienced teams make.

And for those wanting Romar gone, I can guarantee you he will be back. We were picked to finish 11th in the Pac12, and exceeded pre-seaosn expectations. And mostly, we have the highest rated recruit in the Romar-era coming in next year. Axe Romar and Fultz is gone. Next season is the make-it-or-break-it year for Romar.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I take it back if it seemed like i was attacking him personally. I am attacking his ability to coach college basketball. It's absurd to me for someone to say "i'm not a fan of his X's and O's but...."

You just admitted his COACHING is crap. What else is there that REALLY matters? Basketball is ALL X's and O's. I don't care if hes a "good guy". He can't coach. Simple as that. Tired of people sticking up for him when he has had so much time to figure things out. Some of the defensive schemes I saw today against Oregon were a joke. Ranked 329 out of 351 defensively is embarrassing. It's not like Romar has gotten the job done prior to this year, either. Completely out coached in 05 by Lousiville when we had a GREAT team (final score was 90 to 70 something), and no Elite 8's. Every year has been an underachievement with this guy.

He. Cannot. Coach. Defense. Throw all the offense you want at him. We were 8th this year. It doesn't matter.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I completely agree that he is a poor in-game coach. He excels in recruiting and player development (just look at all the kids he has sent to the NBA). But there is no doubt he struggles with the X's and O'x and making in-game adjustments. But like I said earlier, we can try to wish away Romar all we want, but he isn't going anywhere now. As long as Fultz is committed, Romar is staying. If Fultz wasn't coming in, then I think there is a decent chance the program considers a coaching change.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2jb3rg9i said:
So you guys think Murray and Chriss will be back next season?

This mock has Murray going in the lottery.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

Chriss would be a 1st round pick as well. Losing Murray, Chris's and Andrews would be quite a big loss and it wouldn't matter how good faultz is.
Chriss is actually the better NBA prospect at this point. Chad Ford had moved him up into the lottery last week. Murray isn't going to go in the lottery unless he vastly improves his shooting.

I'm guessing Murray comes back, Chriss leaves. Or they both go. Or, I dunno. If they both go, and Fultz decommits, Romar is gone. IF, IF, IF they both come back, watch out.

It is hard to be a good defensive team with a bunch of freshman who have never had to play defense before.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hard to say what Chriss and Murray will do. One thing they have going in their favor is that this upcoming draft is considered pretty weak. There are a couple can't miss prospects in Simmons and Ingram, but after that there isn't a whole lot. Typically mock drafts are filled with stud freshman, but this is the year of the upper-classmen. As good as Buddy Hield and Valentine are, NBA teams aren't going to be jumping at the chance to draft them. The one thing the NBA does love is potential. Both Murray and Chriss have a lot of that, but both are very raw. I agree with Tical that Chriss has the higher upside, but is probably the riskier pick too. Personally, I wouldn't touch either kid unless I'm a team that doesn't expect to win for a few years. Neither will be ready to contribute for at least 2-3 years.

If I had to guess, I'd say both are 50/50 for the draft. If we can get one of the two back next year I'll be okay with that. If both come back then we should be a top 15 team. We'd basically have three first round picks, how many college teams can say that?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":ye8beobu said:
JSeahawks":ye8beobu said:
Huskies to play long beach state on Thursday in first round of NIT tournament.

Uw wins 107-102. Not much defense there. Fun game to watch though.
Frustrating to watch IMHO, even though my team won. Like you said "not much defense". Story of the UW's year, let opponents stay in the game and they can and a lot of times will come back to beat you. Got lucky they snuck out with a W tonight @ home in the NIT. :34853_doh:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
My god.

That was horrible basketball, if you want to call it that.

It really is pointless though, Romar had a team with Brandon Roy, Nate Robinson and Bobby Jones. They didn't make the Elite 8. Several other guys on that team ended up drafted to the NBA as well. He couldn't win with that kind of talent.

Then we had a team with Terrence Ross, Wroten and Isaiah Thomas. Again, all guys that were good enough to go to the NBA - but apparently not a good enough team to even make the March group. Ended up in the NIT. Not even sure if they won it.

The point being, it doesn't matter how good the players he gets - he won't be doing anything impressive with them. Fun to watch the dunks but don't expect anything. UW basketball generally has 1-2 guys that you know will make the NBA, and you get a chance to see them up close. That's it, I never expect them to win anything.

This last game though, guys were playing "defense" not looking at the basketball (?), not to mention the stupidity of repeatedly trying to block 3 point shots (4x?!?). The basketball IQ on the team is near 0. They get dunks, alley oops, and blocks (the dunk equivalent for defense) but they also dribble behind their backs for no reason (losing the ball) and try to dribble through crowds (losing the ball). And they are guaranteed to make bone-headed plays at the end of games, along with the dreaded "inbounds" play that Romar has never seemed to figure out how to not screw up.

I have learned to enjoy them playing a few fun to watch games in the regular season, and doing some amazing stuff on the court - but NEVER to really expect Romar to ever stand any sort of reasonable shot at doing anything in March.

Admit it, you thought they were going to find a way to screw that one up at the end didn't you?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I pretty much agree with everything TwistedHusky said. As entertaining as it was for most casual fans, that was tough to watch as a fan of the Huskies and as a fan of basketball. It was inexcusable to let a team like Long Beach St put up 102 on your own court.

While I think the team has gotten better defensively, last night was a major step back. I attribute some of it to the players playing lazy and not taking the game seriously (a lot of NIT games can do that to teams), but a lot of it falls on the coaches shoulders.

This year has been full of ups and downs due to the youth of this team, but there is no excuse next year for bonehead plays and poor defense.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Scratching my head at why anyone who wants to win, would EVER want to play for Romar.

He isn't a good basketball coach.

For an All Star team? Absolutely. He would have guys throwing up alley oops, dribbling between the legs and dunking with abandon. He knows how to get guys to have fun on the court.

But he also makes them look like they are 20-30 IQ points lower than they are. Because nobody is that stupid, but they sure play brainless basketball as a team.

If I see one more game where the offensive player sets a high pick and the defender stupidly decides to shadow the man all the way out to the 3 point line? I get on the girls for doing that crap in their games and they are 12, I certainly shouldn't be seeing it from a college basketball team.

Your job on defense is not to shadow your man, it is to stop the ball and to prevent scoring. This isn't a potato sack race, the objective is not to get as close to your guy at all times as you can. You don't stick near your guy and then chase after him. You are supposed to be between the basket and the offensive player, making them take contested shots.

And then, I see Washington players dribbling between their legs, running through traffic with the ball for no reason, and otherwise taking chances that make no sense - instead of using their athleticism + speed to get the advantage, they go for highlight plays that fizzle out like wet fireworks half the time.

Any wonder why teams with this kind of talent end up in the NIT, just watch the games. It looks like drunken streetball compared to how the other team plays. No self respecting basketball player who wants to win and get better could possibly think playing for Romar is going to help them get better.

Fun to watch if you don't mind bad/no defense, but you cannot depend on it at all.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Why is Dime guarding players out at the 3 point arc? He's the tallest husky and should be playing the post. He's out guarding players like he's a freaking PG. Ridiculous! Being doing it all season. If he's your big man, then he should be used like one.

This is the worst defensive team I've seen. I've seen a lot of bad Husky teams. The defense is the Achilles heel for this team.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It isn't their fault.

They know how to play individual defense of a sort, but not team defense.

Just like the offense is pretty much, pass it to one guy see what he can do, or pass it to someone else to see what they can. Very little team offense, just AND1 type crap.

Since they are college kids, reliant on their coach to show them how to play together? The fault is on the coaching or lack thereof.

It works best if you have low expectations and just admire the cool alley oops, dunks and blocked shots.

Husky basketball is a pleasant or unpleasant diversion when it isn't football season. But it will never matter because Romar is never going to be a winner. I don't know if he is stupid, lazy or just incompetent - and given the # of All Stars he has had on his team and done really very little with? It probably doesn't matter.

But what floors me is how, you have kids that have to have played organized basketball for several years - because that is how the pipeline is built. But they come in with literally no idea how to play the game tactically or strategically beyond how to individually get to the basket or jack up shots.

How can you possibly play for that many years and make mistakes that the kids in their league get yelled at by their 7th grade coaches for? This isn't rocket science, as you can see by watching teams that are not even in the NCAA tourney beat us down - but for some reason these kids come in looking like they were plucked from a YMCA dunkoff instead of a team sport.

How can you get to college basketball with so little court awareness or understanding of how to play defense, box out, keep from stupid fouls, etc.? Even with NO coach some of this stuff is pretty basic Basketball 101 Don't Do This kind of stuff. I am baffled.