Hutchinson raising the 12th man flag tonight

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3u8hipt7 said:
The issue with Futch was never about Alexander. It was because he was transition tagged instead of franchised, thus "robbing" him of $500,000.

He wanted to be the highest paid offensive lineman on the team. He demanded we pay him more money than Hall of Fame LT Walter Jones. That's why he walked. And following that, Minnesota stepped up and ensured he would never re-sign here by putting the "poison pill" into the contract with the whole "playing games in Washington State" bullshit.

Yes, Ruskell was an idiot. One of many moves showcasing his idiocy. But Futch was the guy who flipped us the bird and walked off.

At last, somebody else remembers what really happened. That "poison pill" bullsh*t was the dagger in the back on his way out of town. I, for one, was having a hard time watching him raise the flag.

Rocket

Reaction score
1) he was probably already in town
2) he was also probably financially compensated somehow.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Ok if everyone wants to bring in history, if memory serves me correctly we offered Hutch an equal or close to equal contract that the Vikings offered. Despite this, Hutch's agent said that the money offered by the Vikings, while equal numerically, would go a lot farther in Minnesota due to the cost of living in Washington. Yes I know there is no state income tax in Washington but property tax, sales tax and the property rules in Washington are ridiculous.

That said this could have all been avoided if the franchise tag was applied. This would have negated everything. Also to be honest I do not find it so easy to crucify a man trying to get the maximum amount of money he is worth in the short amount of time one has to play in the NFL. The man has a family to support.

Hutch was a big part of the recipe involving our first SB run and I think he should at the very least be appreciated for that or is that to far back in time to remember.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":g84c28jm said:
The man has a family to support.

Yes...."Cry Me A River" over a multimillionaire losing $500,000. My heart bleeds...... It won't hurt my feelings not seeing his name on the Ring of Honor!

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3q9a7w42 said:
seahawkfreak":3q9a7w42 said:
The man has a family to support.

Yes...."Cry Me A River" over a multimillionaire losing $500,000. My heart bleeds...... It won't hurt my feelings not seeing his name on the Ring of Honor!
After all I said that is the one thing you got. I'm sure you can do better. You got something against someone making a buck? Brilliant, please keep enlightening me.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Megatron":ipgwhy1e said:
Seahawk Sailor":ipgwhy1e said:
Wartooth":ipgwhy1e said:
Seahawk Sailor":ipgwhy1e said:
He paid Walter Jones, first ballot Hall of Fame left tackle, and widely considered to be one of the best ever at the position. :roll:

There will be boos when the flag is raised. And they'll be heard quite loudly, even on TV.

I wasn't talking about Walt, I was talking about Alexander...

The issue with Futch was never about Alexander. It was because he was transition tagged instead of franchised, thus "robbing" him of $500,000.

He wanted to be the highest paid offensive lineman on the team. He demanded we pay him more money than Hall of Fame LT Walter Jones. That's why he walked. And following that, Minnesota stepped up and ensured he would never re-sign here by putting the "poison pill" into the contract with the whole "playing games in Washington State" bullshit.

Yes, Ruskell was an idiot. One of many moves showcasing his idiocy. But Futch was the guy who flipped us the bird and walked off.

The poison pill was actually if he wasn't the highest paid lineman on the team his 49 million contract would become guaranteed. Since Walter Jones was the highest paid lineman at the time on the team if they matched the offer he would have to resign with the Seahawks but the contract would be guaranteed automatically. The Seahawks actually renegotiated Walter's contract so he would have a lower annual salary than Hutch but lost in arbitration. I don't remember the details regarding the arbitration case but I believe it had something to do with the timing when the contract was offered and when Walter's contract was renegotiated. So yeah, Hutchinson flipped the bird by agreeing to the poison pill in the first place when the Seahawks were willing to match the contract offer from the Vikings, but not completely guarantee the contract.

Yep. Them's the details of the "poison pill". But besides the whole "highest paid lineman on the team," there was some verbiage about playing a set number of games in Washington State, which obviously the Seahawks play at least eight, and the Vikings at most only a couple. I don't remember the details on that, but both those elements were set in the contract to screw over the 'Hawks if they tried to match the offer.

Hutch knew full well about the details of it and signed it anyway. Yeah, Ruskell low-balled him by half a mil. Boo-frickin'-woo. Players renegotiate their paychecks all the time to give the team more money for other players. To play the jilted lover over five hundy as a top-paid NFL player is ridiculous.

themunn

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2v5g2t8g said:
Yep. Them's the details of the "poison pill". But besides the whole "highest paid lineman on the team," there was some verbiage about playing a set number of games in Washington State, which obviously the Seahawks play at least eight, and the Vikings at most only a couple. I don't remember the details on that, but both those elements were set in the contract to screw over the 'Hawks if they tried to match the offer.

Hutch knew full well about the details of it and signed it anyway. Yeah, Ruskell low-balled him by half a mil. Boo-frickin'-woo. Players renegotiate their paychecks all the time to give the team more money for other players. To play the jilted lover over five hundy as a top-paid NFL player is ridiculous.

Nah the number of games thing was the wording that Seattle put into Burleson's contract offer if he played in Minnesota

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I figured the past would have been buried on him when they actually brought him back for a look a couple of years ago.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
irocdave":3qdl4k6x said:
I don't blame Hutchinson, Ruskell screwed him and MH. Also keep in mind Steve Hutchinson will more than likely make the HOF. Would be great to see him go in as a Seahawk not a Viking. Hutch and Walt were like peanut butter and Jelly. They go hand in hand, Walt is in, Hutch will be also.

His Twitter handle is poisonpill76. He's still giving the middle finger. Screw him.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2729kqm6 said:
irocdave":2729kqm6 said:
I don't blame Hutchinson, Ruskell screwed him and MH. Also keep in mind Steve Hutchinson will more than likely make the HOF. Would be great to see him go in as a Seahawk not a Viking. Hutch and Walt were like peanut butter and Jelly. They go hand in hand, Walt is in, Hutch will be also.

His Twitter handle is poisonpill76. He's still giving the middle finger. Screw him.

I've seen him laugh about his twitter handle, he thinks its funny, still.

The big middle finger he gave this team, and this fan base, the big Screw OFF when he burnt his bridge here..... he uses it as his twitter handle.

Honestly I thought it was a horrible choice, Screw that guy. If some of you weren't around when that all went down, it was ugly. It was like a bad divorce that spiraled out of control. The team (and Walter Jones) really scrambled to make everything right, and make him happy, to accommodate his contract demands(after the transition tag nonsense). Nope not good enough. At that point he really wanted to stick it to us.

I'm convinced we would have had a second shot at a SB the next year with him. But nope.

Thanks Hutch. :roll:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I was puzzled by his raising the flag, but have never held ill will towards the guy. Ruskell thought he was really slick and it bit him in the ass.

As for Hasselbeck.. He was in Houston working the Texans game, probably the reason he was unable to fly up there for it.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
themunn":2rcssfk0 said:
Seahawk Sailor":2rcssfk0 said:

Nah the number of games thing was the wording that Seattle put into Burleson's contract offer if he played in Minnesota

Yes, both instances happened.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect he wishes he'd never given Seattle the poison pill, but to me he's just a jerk who screwed the team over b/c they had the most galactically stupid GM in the league.

Reaction score
For the 3rd time...Cuddle Hutchinson and make purring sounds I don't understand why "they" would invite him or why he would accept.

Go Hawks,
BillA

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Maybe since he went to Michigan and we were playing Detroit it was the Hawks way of trolling the Lions. Yeah I know, that's a pretty out there theory.

Megatron

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":y1gqegs4 said:
Maybe since he went to Michigan and we were playing Detroit it was the Hawks way of trolling the Lions. Yeah I know, that's a pretty out there theory.

If they wanted to troll the Lions with a Michigan player they could have chosen DB Dave Brown. You know the guy who played here for 10 years, not just 5. Unfortunately he died on January 10th. 2006, just before the Hawks played in their first Super Bowl, but they could have brought in a relative to raise the flag.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
themunn":1bf7pg87 said:
Seahawk Sailor":1bf7pg87 said:

Yeah, that's right. I mis-remembered it. One of them was in relation to the other.

And yeah, using that as his Twitter handle says to me he's still jilted and holding a grudge of some sort against the Seahawks. Why else would he do it?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":wx7osatd said:
themunn":wx7osatd said:
Seahawk Sailor":wx7osatd said:

Yeah, that's right. I mis-remembered it. One of them was in relation to the other.

And yeah, using that as his Twitter handle says to me he's still jilted and holding a grudge of some sort against the Seahawks. Why else would he do it?

Yeah the twitter thing is a bit disconcerting. I remember reading an article years ago (maybe a year or two after he left Seattle) where Hutch said he didn't understand Seahawk fans being upset with him. He held an attitude that his previous years should have exempted him from being criticized about leaving. I was pissed when he left and years later but I am at the point where I do appreciate his time he did play with us.

Also while his handle does have poison pill in it, his avatar is a picture of him in a Seahawk uniform. He also gave thanks to the 12's Saturday night as well.