I dont understand the optimism after an "almost win"?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
adeltaY":10v6hp5z said:
We had the number 1 scoring defense the year prior and were popular picks to make the SB in 2013, along with Denver.

Saying the Rams and Chiefs are built to win in September and not the playoffs seems like rationalisation or hopefulness to me. They're the best teams in the league until proven otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them fell off though, it's certainly not a foreign scenario for the Chiefs

They were the hot teams in Sept and Oct last year. Then the Chiefs melted down in November and the Rams melted down in January. Only the Eagles stayed hot all season and won the Bowl with a backup QB. But they were far stouter on both sides of the ball than the Rams or KC.

And maybe it is hopefulness but seasons can change in a moment. A crushing knee injury to Donald, Gurley or Goff and the Rams are mortal again.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":175fi47y said:
Yes, I get it, we hung with the best. Well, we still lost. There is no such thing as a moral victory in this sport. We didnt get spanked (I didnt expect to) but we did out-coached. 2 and 3 is not looking good. IMO, it's now safe to say that our draft picks were a swing and a miss! We already had a better back than Penny on the roster, and the love for Shaqeem sure has disappeared as quick as he came, our touted punter has bad kicks at the worst possible times too. Good teams find a way to win at the end, we used to, and the Rams do now. I

5 games in, and the draft picks are a swing and a miss? People keep making comments like this and exposing themselves, I love it.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2vliozua said:
adeltaY":2vliozua said:
We had the number 1 scoring defense the year prior and were popular picks to make the SB in 2013, along with Denver.

Saying the Rams and Chiefs are built to win in September and not the playoffs seems like rationalisation or hopefulness to me. They're the best teams in the league until proven otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them fell off though, it's certainly not a foreign scenario for the Chiefs

They were the hot teams in Sept and Oct last year. Then the Chiefs melted down in November and the Rams melted down in January. Only the Eagles stayed hot all season and won the Bowl with a backup QB. But they were far stouter on both sides of the ball than the Rams or KC.

And maybe it is hopefulness but seasons can change in a moment. A crushing knee injury to Donald, Gurley or Goff and the Rams are mortal again.

Right, and a crushing knee injury to any team's great players can derail its season. You can't really factor that into your analysis of football unless you're discussing a proven injury prone player, which none of those guys is.

It comes across like you're saying starting off hot is not a good thing, which its baffling. Just because the Seahawks and Patriots have got off to slow starts and finished well doesn't mean it's a good thing. In fact, the 2013 Seahawks team was something like 11-1 and didn't finish hot and they won it all.

How were last year's Eagles stouter on offense than the Chiefs or Rams this year? I'll give you defense for sure, the Chiefs defense flat out sucks and the Rams defense is underperforming.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":11i5lg54 said:
It comes across like you're saying starting off hot is not a good thing, which its baffling. Just because the Seahawks and Patriots have got off to slow starts and finished well doesn't mean it's a good thing. In fact, the 2013 Seahawks team was something like 11-1 and didn't finish hot and they won it all.

How were last year's Eagles stouter on offense than the Chiefs or Rams this year? I'll give you defense for sure, the Chiefs defense flat out sucks and the Rams defense is underperforming.

I think you're misconstruing the message.

Starting hot in Sept/Oct isn't necessarily predictive of a solid winter run. Doesn't preclude it either. Obviously starting hot helps for seeding.

But the manner and style with which one plays definitely affects how one finishes. When it gets cold, the physical teams tend to maintain their effectiveness. Whether that's on offense or defense. It's not always that way. But very frequently this is true. It's a tough grind through the season -- made tougher with the elements. Postseason fortunes very much favor teams willing to hit harder. The fact that the Chiefs and Rams defenses are so poor really doesn't bode well for them historically. Doesn't mean they can't succeed. But recent experience is littered with failures of teams that couldn't adapt to the attrition and elements change faced in winter.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2jri18oy said:
TwistedHusky":2jri18oy said:
11-5? That is funny.

This team isn't going to be 11-5.

Most of the Hawks fans know it too. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a ton of people optimistic after losing by a little to a much better team. We aren't making the playoffs so at least playing somewhat competitively with a much better team is what we have to hang our hats on.

11-5 isn't happening. That is laughable.

Sigh. I didn't say we were an 11-5 team, only that the feeling is exactly the same. Hawks lose, and the world crashes down for many here. When this team loses, even in 13-15, people would complain that we didn't have what it takes, the philosophy is all wrong, etc.

The moaning is always the same, and the voices are the same.
And the opposite side of the spectrum is just as sick after a win, the delusions and run the table posts never get old at all :pukeface:

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
But I definitely was surprised to see the game so close, but in division games, they historically are. Regardless of records. The crux of it is do you believe pete can bring this team back, or do you think he’s done. Well fought and I was impressed in the loss. But it all boils down to coaching and decision making for me , whether it’s betting on a unproven kicker/ punter AGAIN. And management on that last drive AGAIN.