I need the scoop on Harvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverDog

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":3rdsq1ys said:
So debate and stop with the snark aleady.

I'd more than happy to debate you, but you haven't offered anything to debate except your own 'snarky' comments. Tell me what's wrong with my concern over Harvin's injury history or his character issues, don't just sit there and tell everyone that all I do is post silly, negative stuff. Is not this forum's motto to attack the post, not the poster?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Seems pretty obvious river dog is itching for an argument. Welcome to the board and my ignore list.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ParisPC07":jsurqb33 said:
All I've been hearing is that Harvin's comeback doesn't mean much because he's injury prone, has headaches, is a pussy, etc.

Can anyone give me something to say otherwise? I feel like I've read a lot about how his injury history is overstated, but I don't have anything concrete to back that up.

Living in Minnesota, before he was injured in the game with Seattle they felt Harvin was not only the MVP of the team (which included Adrian Peterson) but the league as well..

Its a very good thing he is on this team.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
As I have said all along I simply want to see just how good this offense can be with him in the mix and everyone on the O line healthy. Going to be a while before we see this Swiss Army knife (a tool for every job) of an offense completely healthy but getting him some playing time, if not a full game will be the first step. A big ass step to be sure!

In this video clip the commentator talks about how Wilson and Harvin did a little workout together yesterday and Harvin was described as being "Ridiculously Fast"!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/98604 ... n-practice

GoHawks1212

Reaction score
RiverDog":1e6t1q90 said:
Tell me what's wrong with my concern over Harvin's injury history or his character issues, don't just sit there and tell everyone that all I do is post silly, negative stuff. Is not this forum's motto to attack the post, not the poster?

Alright, I'll bite.

What's wrong with your concern? It's regurgitated drivel from angry Minnesota Viking fans who just lost one of their star players to a team they seem to lose all of their players to. There's been plenty of "debate" on why your views are unfounded, you just choose to ignore them. For the sake of "debate", i'll re-list some of them for you:

- Before last year's ankle sprain suffered against us, he had missed a whopping 3 games in the three years prior. Russell Okung missed 11 in those same years, to offer some perspective.

- Character Issues - Here are two articles, written about how Vikings fans and the organization itself felt that Percy's "Character Issues" were blown out of proportion.

At the end of this latest season, Harvin won the Korey Stringer Good Guy Award for his professionalism in dealing with the media. Outside of the Childress incident and some mild pouting about the sudden release of teammate Randy Moss, Harvin seems to have his life under control and appears to be the exact type of player the Vikings were hoping to get when they selected him.

In fact, if it wasn’t for recent scandals following Urban Meyer around, Harvin’s character concerns would still be just a thing of the past.

http://vikingsterritory.com/2012/opinio ... r-scrutiny

"Percy comes to work every day. Everybody sees what Percy puts on the field," Spielman said during an interview session with reporters. "He plays the game as hard, or harder, than anyone else in the NFL, the effort that he puts up out there. So we have no issues with Percy Harvin."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88331 ... ta-vikings

Not to nit-pick, but those are the 2nd and 3rd articles listed when googling "percy harvin character issues". It begs the question, how much research have you actually done on Percy's off-field issues?

RiverDog

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":2bthmnvl said:
So debate and stop with the snark aleady. You bring up stuff done years ago? He isn't Von Miller he has grown up, changed life circumstances and entered into a completely different work environment that brooks no fools and he knows it.

Drug user he isn't. Injury prone? Not really given he missed maybe 1 in 10 games...problem with coaches? Childress is and was ignorant. And after tonight Fraizer might be worse.

I think it's pretty obvious that Harvin likes the weed. The fact that it's "on it's way to being legal" is irrelevant. What is relevant is that it is still very much against league rules and Harvin is tickling the dragon's tail by messing with the stuff.

Harvin's injury history goes back to his college days at Florida. It was a major consideration on draft day. He hasn't set foot on the playing field for almost a full year due to two separate injuries.

Having a run-in with one coach might be explained away as a random personality conflict. Having a run-in with the only two NFL head coaches he's ever played for is a trend and lot harder to rationalize.

I'm not predicting bad things for Harvin. Quite the contrary. IMO the fact that we're winning increases the likelihood that he will fit right into our locker room and coaching staff without a problem. Winning cures a lot of evils. What I am doing is pointing out that he's a big risk. You're kidding yourselves if you feel the bumps in his career are no big deal.

Tical21

Reaction score
To dismiss his injury concerns as nothing more than media "drivel" is a bit lazy. He hasn't missed many games the past few years, true. But what that doesn't show is how many games he played in but didn't finish. It doesn't show how many times he was a game-time decision, and how many times he didn't practice. He is a tough, little guy. But he gets beat up. I would bet good money that since he has been in the league, he has been on more injury reports than anybody in the league, sans Tom Brady.

And to think he doesn't still smoke reefer is a bit lazy also. There have been many interviews where he has worn various tee shirts referring to marijuana and even has gone as far as representing companies that have ties to marijuana based products.

The rumors about his character mostly stem from an altercation with the coaching staff, but both sides have said it was an isolated incident. For me, all I need to validate his character is to hear some of the things Adrian Peterson says about him. He isn't going to be a problem child here. No chance.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
RiverDog":1a2fmvt7 said:
KCHawkGirl":1a2fmvt7 said:
So debate and stop with the snark aleady. You bring up stuff done years ago? He isn't Von Miller he has grown up, changed life circumstances and entered into a completely different work environment that brooks no fools and he knows it.

Drug user he isn't. Injury prone? Not really given he missed maybe 1 in 10 games...problem with coaches? Childress is and was ignorant. And after tonight Fraizer might be worse.

I think it's pretty obvious that Harvin likes the weed. The fact that it's "on it's way to being legal" is irrelevant. What is relevant is that it is still very much against league rules and Harvin is tickling the dragon's tail by messing with the stuff.

Harvin's injury history goes back to his college days at Florida. It was a major consideration on draft day. He hasn't set foot on the playing field for almost a full year due to two separate injuries.

Having a run-in with one coach might be explained away as a random personality conflict. Having a run-in with the only two NFL head coaches he's ever played for is a trend and lot harder to rationalize.

I'm not predicting bad things for Harvin. Quite the contrary. IMO the fact that we're winning increases the likelihood that he will fit right into our locker room and coaching staff without a problem. Winning cures a lot of evils. What I am doing is pointing out that he's a big risk. You're kidding yourselves if you feel the bumps in his career are no big deal.

First the injuries... he got his ankle rolled up on. Is that a "concern"? I mean it does happen no?
do yourself a quick favor and go and discover what the "run ins" were about. both were encounters with a coach who refused to make changes to help the team win games. Percy took that to them. One of those coaches was fired for being a failure, the other is on his way.

Percy's hot headed for sure. he's also a very strong competitor, has had the respect of his teammates (in MN) and desparately fought to win to the point he called out the coach when he left a poor QB in during a winnable game (the same game he ended up getting knocked out for the season).

Relax and enjoy. he's got an attitude. but he's not Terrel Owens

RiverDog

Reaction score
Tical21":nugycu6g said:
To dismiss his injury concerns as nothing more than media "drivel" is a bit lazy. He hasn't missed many games the past few years, true. But what that doesn't show is how many games he played in but didn't finish. It doesn't show how many times he was a game-time decision, and how many times he didn't practice. He is a tough, little guy. But he gets beat up. I would bet good money that since he has been in the league, he has been on more injury reports than anybody in the league, sans Tom Brady.

And to think he doesn't still smoke reefer is a bit lazy also. There have been many interviews where he has worn various tee shirts referring to marijuana and even has gone as far as representing companies that have ties to marijuana based products.

The rumors about his character mostly stem from an altercation with the coaching staff, but both sides have said it was an isolated incident. For me, all I need to validate his character is to hear some of the things Adrian Peterson says about him. He isn't going to be a problem child here. No chance.

He's missed the 2nd half of last season, including the playoffs, and the first half of this season with two independent injuries. He hasn't seen the playing field since Nov. 4th of 2012. I'd say that's a little more than "many games in the past few years."

Testimonials from former players don't mean much, at least not as much as testimonials from former coaches. I'd rather go looking for a new job with a strong recommendation from a former boss than I would a similar recommendation from a former co-worker.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
Harvin's going to play on Monday and be awesome. There will be no team chemistry problems and he won't get caught with weed. I am excited :thirishdrinkers:

Tical21

Reaction score
RiverDog":25ttdjpj said:
Tical21":25ttdjpj said:

He's missed the 2nd half of last season, including the playoffs, and the first half of this season with two independent injuries. He hasn't seen the playing field since Nov. 4th of 2012. I'd say that's a little more than "many games in the past few years."

Testimonials from former players don't mean much, at least not as much as testimonials from former coaches. I'd rather go looking for a new job with a strong recommendation from a former boss than I would a similar recommendation from a former co-worker.
The average player, sure. Adrian is one of the most highly respected players in the league as far as work ethic and being a solid teammate. He isn't going to stick his neck out for an idiot.

Would you rather have that than a testimonial from a bitter former coach?

As far as the injuries, the thread was working on the pre-2012 premise.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
RiverDog":2gcwykgn said:

Has to be one of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen.

Apparently it's "pretty obvious" that Harvin likes weed because he had a positive test for it in February 2009. To assume that he is still "tickling the dragon's tail" is complete BS. There is no reason to think he has any connection to it, let alone assume (cause that's what you're doing, you're assuming) that he still smokes it.

Try harder.

GoHawks1212

Reaction score
Tical21":3stn8jlu said:

This is his 5th year in the league. His first 3 years, he missed 3 games. His 4th year he missed 7 due to his ankle. Marshawn Lynch is habitually on the injury report, rests during the week (doesn't practice frequently), but gets praised by this fan base. What's different about Percy?

Also, you've got to admit, it's a little hypocritical to call a comment "Lazy" when you don't even list how many games that Percy left early, or how many practices he's missed, or how many times he was a game time decision, when those are your main counter-points. =)

Much less worried about a guy who smokes weed than I am about a guy who drives drunk, personally, but that's just my perspective. I think it's pretty naive to think Percy is the only person in the NFL who endorses smoking. That said, I can see why some would have an issue with this, as by NFL rules, it's an illegal drug and can result in a suspension if certain rehabilitation guidelines aren't followed.

Agreed on all things here, I don't see Percy being a problem at all.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score

Can someone who's not this lazy supply us with links to said interviews or pictures of said shirts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts