I quit being a sports fan

OP
OP
R

RationalNiner

Reaction score
Nah,

i really have been trying to tell everyone watching sports = waste of time but people in this country are too obsessed with it. niners could win a SB next year and i wouldn't be happy or excited about it. who cares? not my life.

in a perfect world, sports wouldn't get nearly as much attention.

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't think dude gets what being a fan is about. You watch as a form of entertainment. You root for your local team, regardless. You pay your tax money to them. They represent you. When they go visit some other guy's local team, you root for your local team to beat the other guy's local team. That's the fun of it. Now, it was a lot different when local teams were actual local teams, but teams started buying ringers and it all had to be regulated and so forth, but the gist still remains. If you don't want to root for you local team anymore, fine, but now you're watching as an analytical experience, and you're missing out on the fun part.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RationalNiner":ztdkis3j said:
Nah,

i really have been trying to tell everyone watching sports = waste of time but people in this country are too obsessed with it. niners could win a SB next year and i wouldn't be happy or excited about it. who cares? not my life.

Trust me, everyone here understands that you've lost interest in sports and therefore for you watching sports is a waste of time.

That's fine. I doubt anyone really cares (why would they?), but it's fine.

I think the problem we're having is that you've somehow deluded yourself until believing that because YOU no longer derive pleasure from watching sports that nobody else should either.

That's patently ridiculous.

Watching and talking about sports is a leisure activity. Everyone has leisure activities they enjoy. If you don't enjoy stamp collecting it's a waste of time, but if you do enjoy stamp collecting it isn't. The same goes for playing an instrument, drawing, reading, going hiking, cooking, etc., etc., etc., and watching sports.

Basically, when you say "in a perfect world, sports wouldn't get nearly as much attention" what you're actually saying is "in a perfect world, I would be in charge of what everyone enjoys in their leisure activities, and what everyone does in their leisure time would be mandated by me." I guess it would be fun to have everyone everywhere share your interests, but it's both delusional and narcissistic to run around insisting that everyone else is dumb because they spend their leisure time differently than you do.

If your goal is to go around the web and find all the boards for leisure activities you don't choose to participate in so that you can tell people who do participate in them that they're wasting their time, go ahead and knock yourself out, but you've got a pretty big project on your hands, and scurrying around being a smug and ineffectual blowhard to strangers is kind of a weird form of leisure.

TL;DR Seriously, nobody cares. Get over yourself.

Tical21

Reaction score
RationalNiner":okv8vwwi said:
Nah,

why are you wasting your time on a sports board? There has to be some science or education forum or something you can go to that would be worthy of your time.

OP
OP
R

RationalNiner

Reaction score
Tical21":2jeu818h said:
RationalNiner":2jeu818h said:
Nah,

why are you wasting your time on a sports board? There has to be some science or education forum or something you can go to that would be worthy of your time.

to get less people cheering for a scam

RedAlice

Reaction score
RationalNiner":1gj75zei said:
Tical21":1gj75zei said:
RationalNiner":1gj75zei said:
Nah,

Ok, catching up and this is some FUNNY STUFF.

Either this is a bored off-season troll, or well, I am not allowed to say else.

I guess to play, there is a shack here: operas, theatre, hiking, traveling, weird stuff know one knows about.....you know other than sports things are all up for conversation with these sweet fans.....

Good luck to you being a fan of NOT BEING A FAN: seems fun!!! Good use of your time on earth.

Josea16

Reaction score
RationalNiner":2qjk4zz7 said:
I've decided it's a waste of time. I don't care what the 49ers, Giants, or Warriors do. They don't know I exist. You're basically only cheering for a logo. I rather cheer for myself and achieve my own wins in my own life than worry what a bunch of people who don't care about me or know I exist.

Marvin49erfan lives through his 49ers, hahahahaha. It's one thing being a fan. It's another thing trying to be that team's defense attorney on a board about a different team and fanbase.

49er fans are the worst fans in the league, by far. Dumbest ones, too.
Seriously?

Josea16

Reaction score
Largent80":1zzpk2sf said:
I quit posting......................................oops.
You sir, will never quit posting. You're addicted. Me? I quit. Rational 49er is correct the 49ers suck as usual. I'm not really quitting I love my team... even the 1990's joke version. I may not live in Washington right now but that's where lived for more then half my life. So yeah, Seattle teams until death.:)

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
RedAlice":3m0oo9ld said:
RationalNiner":3m0oo9ld said:
Tical21":3m0oo9ld said:
RationalNiner":3m0oo9ld said:
Nah,

Ok, catching up and this is some FUNNY STUFF.

Either this is a bored off-season troll, or well, I am not allowed to say else.

I guess to play, there is a shack here: operas, theatre, hiking, traveling, weird stuff know one knows about.....you know other than sports things are all up for conversation with these sweet fans.....

Good luck to you being a fan of NOT BEING A FAN: seems fun!!! Good use of your time on earth.

Methinks they are more like sweet Taters....bury them in the ground and they multiply.

mikeak

Reaction score
Being a sports fan is enjoying watching sports period. I watch hockey, football, soccer and many other sports. More or less time is spent watching depending on what else I feel like doing then

I have certainly seen people get turned off by their team and stop cheering from them. However if you are a sports fan you still enjoy the same / other sports

Now some people just cheer for their team and don't really care for either sports.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think it's an interesting topic. How could anyone rationally support the Stealers QB after what he did?

chris98251

Reaction score
ivotuk":2l2qk0n9 said:
I think it's an interesting topic. How could anyone rationally support the Stealers QB after what he did?

First you have to come to the conclusion that sports fans are not rational, look at this board, look at the stands of games, look what happens when teams win or lose a championship in their cities and the aftermath, look at what happens in some games to fans who wear jerseys in a stadium they are not the home team in.

Now you can ask your question.

mikeak

Reaction score
You also do find yourself in a spot where you aren't going to stop rooting for your team just because of what an individual did. If so and you applied that to products you purchased you would end up not buying a lot of goods because they have had individuals do illegal acts and remain employed especially in cases where not convicted........

Example -- I am a Cubs fan. Chapman was on the mound to win the WS. Was I not supposed to root for him to get the outs? Just because he did a despicable act was I supposed to hope that my team lost? So by rooting for my team I had to root for him to succeed at that point of the game

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
RationalNiner":puxawv49 said:
I've decided it's a waste of time. I don't care what the 49ers, Giants, or Warriors do. They don't know I exist. You're basically only cheering for a logo. I rather cheer for myself and achieve my own wins in my own life than worry what a bunch of people who don't care about me or know I exist.

Marvin49erfan lives through his 49ers, hahahahaha. It's one thing being a fan. It's another thing trying to be that team's defense attorney on a board about a different team and fanbase.

Dude. Completely understand. There's a better way, and it's called being a Seahawks fan.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
NINEster":266en3k2 said:
5_Golden_Rings":266en3k2 said:
907Hawk":266en3k2 said:
"I quit being a sports fan" otherwise known as the bandwagon thread.
This. Real fans don't quit. Only bandwagon jumpers. (or people who become monks)

But to be a real fan, you have to understand the game. Most fans of any team won't patiently explain to an fellow adult why that no-call on 3rd down was instrumental, or why it should have been called or not, or what "holding" vs "pass interference" vs "unsportsmanlike conduct" exactly implies for the game.

My BF, who watched the 49ers practice in Redwood City, finally explained all the questions I was too embarrassed to ask. Which turned me into a Seahawk fan.

We are still together.

Josea16

Reaction score
mikeak":1yzwhubo said:
You also do find yourself in a spot where you aren't going to stop rooting for your team just because of what an individual did. If so and you applied that to products you purchased you would end up not buying a lot of goods because they have had individuals do illegal acts and remain employed especially in cases where not convicted........

Example -- I am a Cubs fan. Chapman was on the mound to win the WS. Was I not supposed to root for him to get the outs? Just because he did a despicable act was I supposed to hope that my team lost? So by rooting for my team I had to root for him to succeed at that point of the game
You are a Cubs fan? Seriously? My primary sport is baseball. Cubs fan mother f... :17:

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
RationalNiner":3k4bq8fu said:

I dunno, those falcons fans may have passed em up this year, in my opinion. I am so glad they lost the Superbowl, I didn't want to have a full year of them on this board rubbing it in.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":qi6pynu1 said:
I dunno, those falcons fans may have passed em up this year, in my opinion. I am so glad they lost the Superbowl, I didn't want to have a full year of them on this board rubbing it in.
Yeah, much better to let cheaters continue to prosper to protect your feelings. :roll: