I think Russell is gone even if Pete goes

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I've been critical of Russell increasingly over the last couple of years. Some of off the field. Most on the field. He's a really good football player and certainly the best QB we as Seahawk fans will ever have. I'm completely fine with he and Pete not being around next year. I'm not gonna stress over it one bit either way, but if 1 goes, I want both to go. I don't want waste rebuilding years trying hoping another coach can patch things together and scratch 1 more run out of Russell.

And to get to my thread title point, I don't think Russell would either. If you're Russell why would you stick around for a new coach that you ultimately have no control over hiring when you can force your way out and into the situation and coach of your choosing? Doesn't make sense. It would more than likely take longer to get back to the SB here even with a new coach than potentially choosing your next landing spot on a more ready made team. Plus if it doesn't pan out on your new team, at least you're playing in the system you've chosen with the coach of your choosing, in the city of your choosing. Put yourself in his shoes. Why would you not take the force trade option? He very well may stick around if Pete goes, but it doesn't seem likely. I think Hawk fans are being a bit too presumptive of Russell loving the Hawks as much as we all do. The only caveat is a scenario where things don't lineup with a team he wants to go to. That is the only way I see him staying.

Maybe I'm just seeing this through my own bias lens because I don't really think he's sniffing another SB no matter where he plays? I have no problem with people wanting to stick with him. I thinks that's a totally rational opinion. Maybe more rational than mine, but I'm ready to see everybody go.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Give Wilson complete control in picking the coach.

There is no other option where we can even be an above .500 team in the next 3 or even 5 years.

You keep Wilson by giving him the keys to franchise, the desk that stamps the decisions, and anything else he wants.

Because if you lose Wilson, it gets worse until Pete is gone. You lose Pete, everyone throws a party - if, and only if, Wilson stays.

OP
OP
OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2iq2rp65 said:
Give Wilson complete control in picking the coach.

There is no other option where we can even be an above .500 team in the next 3 or even 5 years.

You keep Wilson by giving him the keys to franchise, the desk that stamps the decisions, and anything else he wants.

Because if you lose Wilson, it gets worse until Pete is gone. You lose Pete, everyone throws a party - if, and only if, Wilson stays.
Even if you gave him control of hiring a coach, which I'm not in favor of, his coach of preference is almost certainly already employed. Unless you think Russell is gonna convince someone like Peyton to leave NO to come to Seattle.

Who gives a toss if we're bad for the next 3/5 years. All keeping Russell is gonna do is push that window 3-5 years further down the road with the extremely high likelihood of no more success than we've had for the last 3-5 years. What's the point. I don't think we make an NFC champ game with Russell and this roster no matter who's coaching and this roster isn't gonna change enough in the next couple years to alleviate that problem. Everyone wanting to hold onto Russell is just fooling themselves and kicking the can down road.

OP
OP
OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Jase":2syq7z09 said:
OrangeGravy":2syq7z09 said:
Jase":2syq7z09 said:
Full meltdown mode engaged.
Meltdown mode is way more fun. Embrace it

It's my only catharsis.
I watched the Ryder Cup. Didn't even flip to the game. You don't even have to watch the games anymore to know pretty much what happens. Keeps the rage meter low as well

Jase

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":2fmw46ya said:
Jase":2fmw46ya said:
OrangeGravy":2fmw46ya said:
Jase":2fmw46ya said:

It's my only catharsis.
I watched the Ryder Cup. Didn't even flip to the game. You don't even have to watch the games anymore to know pretty much what happens. Keeps the rage meter low as well

So you already knew the outcome? You must be a be a really successful bookie. :)

OP
OP
OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Jase":6fccnjqn said:
OrangeGravy":6fccnjqn said:
Jase":6fccnjqn said:
OrangeGravy":6fccnjqn said:

It's my only catharsis.

So you already knew the outcome? You must be a be a really successful bookie. :)
Of course not the outcome. just the game play in general.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson may be looking at good QB's that still can play on disfunction team history, Manning to Denver, Brady to Tampa, now Stafford to L.A. Not unreasonable for him to look to go to a place that is a seasoned QB away from a Championship, the question would be where.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":2mq7cy6m said:
Jase":2mq7cy6m said:
OrangeGravy":2mq7cy6m said:
Jase":2mq7cy6m said:

It's my only catharsis.
Exactly. I didn’t watch golf. But I’m the same way. I knew once minny went right down the field to score their first TD the game was over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2mcyljrw said:
Give Wilson complete control in picking the coach..

You don't entrust your entire franchise's future to a QB who spends all his spare time on IG and getting slimed at Nickelodeon events with his celebrity wife.

Maybe allow Russell to be in on the conversations, but you certainly don't give him full control. He has no experience or even idea how to do a GM and/or coach search. Peter McGlouglin is the team President, so if you fire John and Pete, he would be the proxy for Jody Allen to oversee the GM and coaching search.

Again, if you want to keep Russell? Sure, involved him in the conversations and meetings. But other than that, hell no to letting Russell control something so important as the next 10 years of your franchise's success.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Largent,

You do what you have to do.

This team turns into a bottom feeder without Pete and Wilson.

With just Pete, it will not only become a bottom feeder but strip any future draft capital away for years.

With just Wilson, you MIGHT attract a good HC. Sorry, he is the most important person on this team and is the biggest threat to leave - you give him what he wants.

Now you CAN find the best option for the team and then convince him of it. The trick with these kinds of people is to make them think it is their idea. Then they will support it enthusiastically.

But the linchpin is still going to be, what Wilson wants Wilson gets, because he will get that somewhere else if we refuse. Not even sure THAT would be enough, to be honest.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":hhyeftx2 said:
Largent,

With just Pete, it will not only become a bottom feeder but strip any future draft capital away for years.

With just Wilson, you MIGHT attract a good HC. Sorry, he is the most important person on this team and is the biggest threat to leave - you give him what he wants.

Now you CAN find the best option for the team and then convince him of it. The trick with these kinds of people is to make them think it is their idea. Then they will support it enthusiastically.

But the linchpin is still going to be, what Wilson wants Wilson gets, because he will get that somewhere else if we refuse. Not even sure THAT would be enough, to be honest.

I'm pretty sure this is what Pete and John did with Russell when they hired Waldron, made him think it was his idea.

Not sure if it'd work twice.

So sure, trick, involve in conversations and communication. But entrust with choosing? Hell to the no.

What franchise has ever done this and it worked out.

OP
OP
OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2xbkfxdo said:
TwistedHusky":2xbkfxdo said:
Largent,

I'm pretty sure this is what Pete and John did with Russell when they hired Waldron, made him think it was his idea.

Not sure if it'd work twice.

So sure, trick, involve in conversations and communication. But entrust with choosing? Hell to the no.

What franchise has ever done this and it worked out.
The answer is none just as it should be and you certainly don't do it with a QB on the back nine of his career.

I still don't understand what people have seen in Russell's play over the years that makes them think he can operate and lead a team in the manner that Brady, Brees, Manning did and do. Those guys didn't even get that much control and they shouldn't have. Russell doesn't command that kind of respect from opposing teams. He doesn't force opposing defenses out of what they want to do. He doesn't command the LOS and dictate the game. He never has and we're 10 years in. His physical skills (which are diminishing) demand respect from opposing defenses, but that is strictly limited to them wanted to control the big play. The next time you hear an opposing coach talk about not letting Russell Wilson pick them apart down the field, will be the first time.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Now THAT is funny. Glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read it. Russ has never picked apart a defense? And Brady and Manning didn't have control? Now I've heard it all. Russ is literally one of the best of all time and a future HOF. He has more wins than any QB over his first 9 plus season. Record after record piling up. And you actually believe that teams don't respect him? Dear God, just when I thought this place could get more clueless, I read this crap.
I can't imagine what opposing DC's would think about that. Talk to any player and they will tell you how much of a problem it is to face Russ. He's one of the best finishers in the history of the NFL. He has saved Pete's a** much of his career by pulling out victories. That's a first....Russ doesn't get respect from his opponents. Yeah, the same players who voted him the 2nd best player in the league.

The more you know.......

OP
OP
OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3tn7s9gi said:
Now THAT is funny. Glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read it. Russ has never picked apart a defense? And Brady and Manning didn't have control? Now I've heard it all. Russ is literally one of the best of all time and a future HOF. He has more wins than any QB over his first 9 plus season. Record after record piling up. And you actually believe that teams don't respect him? Dear God, just when I thought this place could get more clueless, I read this crap.
I can't imagine what opposing DC's would think about that. Talk to any player and they will tell you how much of a problem it is to face Russ. He's one of the best finishers in the history of the NFL. He has saved Pete's a** much of his career by pulling out victories. That's a first....Russ doesn't get respect from his opponents. Yeah, the same players who voted him the 2nd best player in the league.

The more you know.......
respect is probably the wrong term. They don't fear Russell sitting in the pocket and shredding them over and over again. What do you hear from opposing coaches players? They want to contain him and keep him getting lose to make those big plays down the field. They fear the scramble drill. They feared him eating up yards with his legs.

xray

Reaction score
I'm guessing that many fans wouldn't mind if they both left . New and fresh under center and on the sidelines would be exciting for a change . This team seems somewhat stale of late . IMO

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":21fq5v84 said:

The more you know.......

Neither Brady nor Manning had control to choose their organizations GM or head coach.

Input? Sure. Involved in conversations? Sure.

Control? No. That's not smart football to trust a 30 something QB who has no experience whatsoever, or even the knowledge on how to go about a coaching search.

Russell would just pick one of his league buddies to come run the team.