I think Russell is gone even if Pete goes

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
eo620":2yntz98d said:
Let me start off by saying that I am a Seahawks fan since '84 and a huge RW fan. PC, for all the good he's accomplished, is a fool for not using Wilson to his talents .

If Pete wants to be a run first team, then let RW go and get a QB who can hand the ball off all game. PLEASE trade Wilson to NO for a crap load of picks and Winston/Hill. It's sad and frustrating to watch Pete waste Wilson's talent and skills. The Saints would have to move quickly to get Wilson the targets that he needs. Dk's a FA soon! Why would Lockett want to stay without the targets?

Yes, it's all a vodka induced dream ...

This is another incorrect take we hear every year, the "Pete's wasting Russell's career" take.

How can a coach waste a QB's career who's barely halfway through his career and he's been to two SB's, won more than any other QB in the first 10 years of his career and is on his way statistically to a gold jacket.

Makes no sense.......and until we see Russell be even better under another coach? Then it's pure unadulterated speculation.

OP
OP
OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1r0whpfm said:
OrangeGravy":1r0whpfm said:
Sgt. Largent":1r0whpfm said:
TwistedHusky":1r0whpfm said:
Largent,

You do what you have to do.

This team turns into a bottom feeder without Pete and Wilson.

With just Pete, it will not only become a bottom feeder but strip any future draft capital away for years.

With just Wilson, you MIGHT attract a good HC. Sorry, he is the most important person on this team and is the biggest threat to leave - you give him what he wants.

Now you CAN find the best option for the team and then convince him of it. The trick with these kinds of people is to make them think it is their idea. Then they will support it enthusiastically.

But the linchpin is still going to be, what Wilson wants Wilson gets, because he will get that somewhere else if we refuse. Not even sure THAT would be enough, to be honest.

I'm pretty sure this is what Pete and John did with Russell when they hired Waldron, made him think it was his idea.

Not sure if it'd work twice.

So sure, trick, involve in conversations and communication. But entrust with choosing? Hell to the no.

What franchise has ever done this and it worked out.
The answer is none just as it should be and you certainly don't do it with a QB on the back nine of his career.

I still don't understand what people have seen in Russell's play over the years that makes them think he can operate and lead a team in the manner that Brady, Brees, Manning did and do. Those guys didn't even get that much control and they shouldn't have. Russell doesn't command that kind of respect from opposing teams. He doesn't force opposing defenses out of what they want to do. He doesn't command the LOS and dictate the game. He never has and we're 10 years in. His physical skills (which are diminishing) demand respect from opposing defenses, but that is strictly limited to them wanted to control the big play. The next time you hear an opposing coach talk about not letting Russell Wilson pick them apart down the field, will be the first time.

There's some truth to what your saying and the only argument for keeping Pete. My counter to this would be how many QB's have been drafted have had the kind of success that Wilson and Mahomes have had . None have done what Wilson and Mahomes have the consistency of great foot ball year 1 on . Look at this group of QB's taken it's very very difficult to find QB's that can dominate like they have right out of the gate . So if we lose Wilson replacing him is easy replacing him with another QB of his talent COULD TAKE YEARS. It's possible they could hit thejackpot again but history shows that rarely ever happens.
I don't buy the hard to replace argument because you're gonna have to replace him soon either way. Holding on just gets you a couple more winning seasons in the short term. At his price point you're not gonna be able to build a sufficient team around him. It takes as long as takes to rebuild, but holding on just pushes the pain of rebuilding down the road further.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":24zawk1s said:
I don't buy the hard to replace argument because you're gonna have to replace him soon either way. Holding on just gets you a couple more winning seasons in the short term. At his price point you're not gonna be able to build a sufficient team around him. It takes as long as takes to rebuild, but holding on just pushes the pain of rebuilding down the road further.

1. Russell has another decade of good football left in him with the way he takes care of himself with his merry band of trainers, dieticians, personal chefs, mental coaches and cosmic therapists.

2. Look around the league, there are 25-27 franchises that have been looking for their franchise QB's forever, some of them as well run as the Hawks.

So yes, it would be VERY difficult to find another franchise QB of Russell's caliber. Hell, we waited over 30 years.

This is especially true if the rest of the organization is a dumpster fire of dysfunction. Means you're not attracting a top free agent QB, or one with a list of teams willing to be traded to.

Fire Pete, fire John, you do whatever you need to do to keep Russell happy and in Seattle. Because the alternative is what we've already experienced here, a endless parade of stiffs and failed draft picks.

Seymour

Reaction score
Well we could get a great draft pick or 2 and end up with Rick Mirer 2.0 eating hot dogs on the bench with Poona Ford.

Be careful what you ask for.

RickMirerSeahawks

OP
OP
OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11pf1u2v said:
OrangeGravy":11pf1u2v said:

1. Russell has another decade of good football left in him with the way he takes care of himself with his merry band of trainers, dieticians, personal chefs, mental coaches and cosmic therapists.

2. Look around the league, there are 25-27 franchises that have been looking for their franchise QB's forever, some of them as well run as the Hawks.

So yes, it would be VERY difficult to find another franchise QB of Russell's caliber. Hell, we waited over 30 years.

This is especially true if the rest of the organization is a dumpster fire of dysfunction. Means you're not attracting a top free agent QB, or one with a list of teams willing to be traded to.

Fire Pete, fire John, you do whatever you need to do to keep Russell happy and in Seattle. Because the alternative is what we've already experienced here, a endless parade of stiffs and failed draft picks.
Of course it would difficult. That's not my point. I'm saying you're gonna replace him soon. You're already at a place where it's impossible to get your money's worth out of him. Stretching that out just makes delays the pain. Are you gonna pay Russell what he'll demand for the next 10 years? How good do you think the team will be at that price?

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I hope he does leave so we don’t ever have to talk about it again. I’m fine either way. One day he will be gone and the Seahawks will survive. It’s just a game and it doesn’t really matter. I’m sure he will demand so much to make it look like he had no choice but to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BASF

Reaction score
eo620":1nv694ni said:
Let me start off by saying that I am a Seahawks fan since '84 and a huge RW fan. PC, for all the good he's accomplished, is a fool for not using Wilson to his talents .

If Pete wants to be a run first team, then let RW go and get a QB who can hand the ball off all game. PLEASE trade Wilson to NO for a crap load of picks and Winston/Hill. It's sad and frustrating to watch Pete waste Wilson's talent and skills. The Saints would have to move quickly to get Wilson the targets that he needs. Dk's a FA soon! Why would Lockett want to stay without the targets?

Yes, it's all a vodka induced dream ...

We have not been a run first team for three seasons. That is a long time to be holding on to a complaint. Wilson has been in the top half of the league in attempts (a stat that is boosted by teams that are trailing and have to throw, which is not usually us) for the past two seasons (top ten last year) and will be in the top ten this season. Wilson was top ten in 2017 and top half of the league in 2016.

How long are people going to hold 2018 against Carroll? I get that people were disappointed losing to Dallas and more than likely know a Cowboy fan or two that made their life hell for a week or so before they themselves lost, but it's not like we had the talent to beat the Rams or Saints the next week.