I want Braxton Miller

cheese22

Reaction score
I mentioned in another post the idea of drafting him as a third down back. It gets him the ball in space, he's worked out of the backfield at OSU and it gives him time to work on writing techniques if that is the ultimate goal. As far as comparison s go, I hate to.Say this, but I see a lot of Percy Harvin.
What a great weapon and safety net he would be out of the backfield.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Maybe if he goes undrafted but we won't need receivers if we can't protect the QB for more than 2 seconds.

massari

Reaction score
kearly":2p04r6o7 said:
Has anybody done better with UDFA WRs than Seattle? Baldwin and Kearse's success, as well as Smith, Williams, and Lockette making the roster, acts as a hell of a selling point to UDFA wideouts. I expect Seattle to "ignore" WR in the draft this year then try to use UDFA to their advantage to add competition.
I thought Williams and Smith are on the roster because the WR depth is that bad due to Norwood/Mathews being useless and the Richardson/Lockette injuries.

Would you really feel good about going into next season with those guys as the #4/#5 WR's if Kearse leaves? I'd hope they pick a WR early if they let Kearse go especially given Richardson's injury woes.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Not any time before our late 4th pick would I want him.

He'll go much earlier than that. Probably appear to be a successful pick. But in my estimation, for us to use his adequately, we'd have to break out the same kinds of Harvin plays that we had to draw up specifically for him. He's similarly dynamic in space. But his receiving skills are about on par. And I don't see him being any easier to incorporate into our offense than Harvin was.

Ultimately, I say pass unless it's just a case of him falling that far. There are probably 20+ WRs in this class alone I'd rather have than Miller.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
CPHawk":bdh8gx96 said:
Hasselbeck":bdh8gx96 said:
CPHawk":bdh8gx96 said:
He's a less refined Chris Harper, who was also a qb at one time. Although not a very good one.

Could not disagree more.

More recent comparison I'd say he's much closer to a Randall Cobb than Chris Harper.

He had a shaky Senior Bowl, but I still love the guys talent and future. Hopefully free agency addresses some needs so we can look at value picks like a Braxton Miller or elsewhere. Especially as this offense moves to be more pass-oriented. I know WR isn't a "glaring" need .. but if Kearse leaves in FA .. it's going to become one pretty quickly.

I'm just curious, what makes you all so sure he can be an NFL WR? The 26 catches 341 yds and 3 tds? He's athletic, but to compare him to a top 15 WR in the NFL seem like a huge stretch. He's got much further to go as a route runner and WR then Golden Tate had to go, and it took Golden 3 years to be a WR we could count on.

And how do you compare a 6'2 guy with a quick 5'10 WR?

I'll also bet Miller doesn't run faster than a 4.4 40, the Ohio state is overblowing his 40 time. On the list they used to show he ran a 4.32, the next guy behind him, Stoneburner, was said to run a 4.4 flat. Guess what he ran at the combine? A 4.65.

I think Braxton is closer to 6' than 6'2 first of all.

And when Randall Cobb came into the league he wasn't close to the WR he is now. Guys do develop you know ;)

Braxton said he will run a sub 4.3/40 at the combine. If he does that he's almost a lock to go in the Top 50 I'd imagine. I don't think he's that quick, at least in straight line speed, but the guy is crazy athletic.. and you're critiquing his WR abilities off of what.. less than 9 months of work at that position?

He's FAR from a finished product. He's the type of pick a team like Seattle can roll the dice on and hope it hits. However, who knows what happens in the offseason. If we bring back Kearse then WR is probably on the backburner as far as the draft goes.. if we let Kearse walk but add a couple guys in FA/trade to the OL .. then I think Braxton is a possibility.

Either way, I love this kid and he will be sensational at the next level.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
massari":56zp63dr said:
kearly":56zp63dr said:
Has anybody done better with UDFA WRs than Seattle? Baldwin and Kearse's success, as well as Smith, Williams, and Lockette making the roster, acts as a hell of a selling point to UDFA wideouts. I expect Seattle to "ignore" WR in the draft this year then try to use UDFA to their advantage to add competition.
I thought Williams and Smith are on the roster because the WR depth is that bad due to Norwood/Mathews being useless and the Richardson/Lockette injuries.

Would you really feel good about going into next season with those guys as the #4/#5 WR's if Kearse leaves? I'd hope they pick a WR early if they let Kearse go especially given Richardson's injury woes.

I seldom agree with you, but you hit the nail on the head here.

Ozzy

Reaction score
If he was there in the 2nd I think they take him.

Hawks46

Reaction score
From the highlights he looks like a slightly taller Tate in the open field.

I read that he was getting raves from the week of practice at the Senior bowl, saying his hands were like glue. He's raw, so I'm not sure how high he'll go. Every year we see a couple guys get hyped up and they fly up the draft boards, then the NFL GM's stay true to their boards and the guy goes where he's supposed to, and all the pundits are shocked.

Miller could be that guy that everyone talks about and he just drops. If you're on a crappy team and you need skill position help, and you go Miller's way, and he turns out to be raw and take a few years, it's the kind of pick that gets you fired.

The Browns need help at QB and WR, and I don't see them taking this guy in the 2nd (as an example). You want an accomplished college guy that produces right away. If he goes anywhere it's late 2nd, but that's just my guess.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":smq8ggpi said:
CPHawk":smq8ggpi said:
Hasselbeck":smq8ggpi said:
CPHawk":smq8ggpi said:
He's a less refined Chris Harper, who was also a qb at one time. Although not a very good one.

Could not disagree more.

More recent comparison I'd say he's much closer to a Randall Cobb than Chris Harper.

He had a shaky Senior Bowl, but I still love the guys talent and future. Hopefully free agency addresses some needs so we can look at value picks like a Braxton Miller or elsewhere. Especially as this offense moves to be more pass-oriented. I know WR isn't a "glaring" need .. but if Kearse leaves in FA .. it's going to become one pretty quickly.

I'm just curious, what makes you all so sure he can be an NFL WR? The 26 catches 341 yds and 3 tds? He's athletic, but to compare him to a top 15 WR in the NFL seem like a huge stretch. He's got much further to go as a route runner and WR then Golden Tate had to go, and it took Golden 3 years to be a WR we could count on.

And how do you compare a 6'2 guy with a quick 5'10 WR?

I'll also bet Miller doesn't run faster than a 4.4 40, the Ohio state is overblowing his 40 time. On the list they used to show he ran a 4.32, the next guy behind him, Stoneburner, was said to run a 4.4 flat. Guess what he ran at the combine? A 4.65.

I think Braxton is closer to 6' than 6'2 first of all.

And when Randall Cobb came into the league he wasn't close to the WR he is now. Guys do develop you know ;)

Braxton said he will run a sub 4.3/40 at the combine. If he does that he's almost a lock to go in the Top 50 I'd imagine. I don't think he's that quick, at least in straight line speed, but the guy is crazy athletic.. and you're critiquing his WR abilities off of what.. less than 9 months of work at that position?

He's FAR from a finished product. He's the type of pick a team like Seattle can roll the dice on and hope it hits. However, who knows what happens in the offseason. If we bring back Kearse then WR is probably on the backburner as far as the draft goes.. if we let Kearse walk but add a couple guys in FA/trade to the OL .. then I think Braxton is a possibility.

Either way, I love this kid and he will be sensational at the next level.

Exactly he isn't a finished product, like I said he's like Tate but Tate was further along. It took him until year 3 to be actually productive. We don't need to waiste a pick on a guy who's going to take 3 years to be good. I'll also believe the 4.3 when i see it. I'm going to say 4.45, which is good for his size. Oh and Cobb was pretty fm good his first season, especially in the return game. I think we already have our Cobb, in Lockette.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
The thing about this kid is, there aren't that many stats to say he is a lock to be good or great. There. cannot be, he hasn't played the position long enough. I watched several of his games this year, and it all comes down to a gut feeling. The kids "want to" is most definitely there. The thing that impressed me the most is his toughness and fearlessness. He made some incredible runs after the catch. I am not saying he is a polished reciever, but the ceiling is unlimited. I think he has a chance to be special, and I think a few years down the road, 31 teams are gonna realize they made a mistake in passing this kid up. Just like they did with Antonio brown, to name one example. They put that kid though the ringer in ohio. Could you imagine losing your starting spot due to injury, it would suck. But he didn't let it bring him down. He instead found another way to help his team out. It says a lot about his character, and is trait that is surprisingly uncommon in the nfl. Look at tebow, he refused to budge on playing a different position.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":1ha5xv4k said:
The thing about this kid is, there aren't that many stats to say he is a lock to be good or great. There. cannot be, he hasn't played the position long enough. I watched several of his games this year, and it all comes down to a gut feeling. The kids "want to" is most definitely there. The thing that impressed me the most is his toughness and fearlessness. He made some incredible runs after the catch. I am not saying he is a polished reciever, but the ceiling is unlimited. I think he has a chance to be special, and I think a few years down the road, 31 teams are gonna realize they made a mistake in passing this kid up. Just like they did with Antonio brown, to name one example. They put that kid though the ringer in ohio. Could you imagine losing your starting spot due to injury, it would suck. But he didn't let it bring him down. He instead found another way to help his team out. It says a lot about his character, and is trait that is surprisingly uncommon in the nfl. Look at tebow, he refused to budge on playing a different position.

Completely agree.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
That's just it.

Every year there are a host of athletic freak players in the draft. One only has to look at the fastest players at the combine to see just how many of those 'best in class' players actually amount to nothing in the NFL.

Miller is just absolutely electric in the open field. He has an unnatural ability to just make every other player on the field look like they are running at 3/4 speed. He is game fast and he's got great elusiveness.

Realistically, the comparison with Percy Harvin isn't all that far off. Percy was exactly that kind of player. Just made everyone look like they were jogging. Percy as a physical prospect was even better. Bigger, tougher to bring down and had a more established track record.

But Percy didn't ever really acquire the WR skills necessary to bring his talents to bear effectively. There is no realistic expectation that a player will just 'learn on the job' and become adept at WR. It is a terrifically technical position. Great athletes can be very mediocre receivers. A good athlete with excellent skill is far more likely to be a productive pro.

Miller has no track record at all really. And that'll be tough on him. Any team that drafts him is probably going to have to develop him for a couple of years. And even then will have to create package plays for him as we did with Percy.

I love his attitude and speed. I can't really evaluate where his skills are. Namely because at the college level, his ridiculous speed advantage masks poor technical skill. In the NFL, he's not going to have that advantage and if he doesn't add skill, then better athletes will be able to read what he's doing and beat him to the route.

Percy (and Tebow for that matter) seemed to make teams rue the day they passed on them. Until their lack of skill advancement made the teams that didn't pass on them regret the waste of a high draft pick.

He's a guy you take end of R3/R4. If you take him earlier (which I expect will happen), it'll be a big risk. Because you're definitely giving up a player with a higher likelihood of reaching their potential.

Miller has a very high ceiling. And a very low floor. I'd rate his chances of realizing his ceiling as low.

Antonio Brown is a very bad comp. He was a wildly productive WR at a small school taken 195th overall in R6.

Miller is a middling production receiver at a big school and probably gets taken in the top 100 picks.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1wr6kh1b said:
I'm sorry but Kasen Williams and Kevin Smith do nothing for me. Maybe they wind up being okay WR's, but they feel very JAG like .. similar to Kevin Norwood, Matthews, and everyone before them.

For the time being I have to agree. I was on the Chris Matthews hype train after the SB and really thought he was a future star for us. I also was in the camp that we could easily replace Kearse with Norwood and not lose anything. I was dead wrong on both. I'd love to believe either Kasen Williams or Kevin Smith is the future. But I won't believe it til I see it.

After 2014 I had no real love for Kearse. But he impressed me this season and I think he showed his worth. When you put him at 1/2 receiver he struggles but put him out there with other threats and he makes plays. Having Baldwin and Lockett out there with him gave him easier coverage to beat and helped him shine. I honestly hope we resign him.

But I also hope we draft another rookie wr playmaker. I'd love for us to finally find our big receiver we've all been waiting for. I don't think we go wr any sooner than round 5 though. We have bigger needs.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":s25zxumd said:
Jimjones0384":s25zxumd said:

Completely agree.
My thing is the guy doesn't have the stats to back up any thinking at WR,for all we know he is another TPryor.
He is a WR because he has messed up shoulders to where he cannot play QB anymore,I wouldn't waste a pick on this guy for that reason(red flags)Another reason is we don't need a gadget speed player with DB having brain spasms with the play calling like he did with Harvin.I already posted this before in a Braxton thread but oh well keep reviving him,I do not want him period.

randomation

Reaction score
The hype train on him is absurd it would likely take a first rounder to get him as all indications are he goes early in the 2nd. I don't know if that is worth it especially when Nick Martin is most likely available.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Id take him with a 4th or lower...I dont think hes worth more than that.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1rnt07mx said:
Id take him with a 4th or lower...I dont think hes worth more than that.

Interesting. You must know something NFL front office people do not.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2uqe3ug4 said:
Unless you spend the 1st round pick on him he won't be a hawk.

I wouldn't rule that out with this FO. Their 1st round picks are typically against the grain.

A lot hinges on what we do via FA and trades though. If they don't address the OL between the start of FA and Day 1 of the draft, really doubt Braxton goes to us at 26.

But if they added a center and guard prior to the draft.. then I think a Braxton Miller is very much in play if he lasted until the 26th pick.

Latest posts