I will not be watching Peacock's exclusive Wild Card game.

jeremiah

Reaction score
It is a matter of principal. I'll become a fan of something else before I relent to this NFL business model.
It is hard to watch Football, College or Professional without cable. I get 13 and 7 on my antenna. I got Peacock at one time, but the pic quality stinks. The weird part was that the espanol feed was perfect. It used to be a national pastime, and game of honor. Now it is a business first, last and on all fronts. Frankly, it is as inferior to the 1950's through 1990's, as the USFL to NFL today.

I miss the excitement of the AFL model, and the hits and contact that made highlight films great. Those guys sacrificed their bodies for very little money. Now, they protect them like tiffany glass, and they make enough to buy houses for a family of 10, with cash.

You young guys missed out. With the limitations of the round screen TV's with snow from reception, it was just better. I think most of "My Rowdy Friends" have tuned out for good. It costs money to watch a PLAYOFF GAME. Effin crazy.

Torc

Reaction score
i subscribed to Peacock for $1.99 a month on Black Friday. I'll be enjoying the game.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was on my pedestal the other day about this very topic but I'll be damned if I am not wavering.

Damn you NFL. Whip me, beat me, make me write bad checks.

Here's my $4.99 Peacock so I can watch the Dolphins shit the bed in -4 degrees.

James in PA

Reaction score
I won't be watching it either. I already have enough streaming services that I don't watch. Total BS money grab that an NFL playoff game isn't on a regular channel.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
I was on my pedestal the other day about this very topic but I'll be damned if I am not wavering.

Damn you NFL. Whip me, beat me, make me write bad checks.

Here's my $4.99 Peacock so I can watch the Dolphins shit the bed in -4 degrees.
It makes me feel better about myself to pretend that I wanted to get Peacock anyway, and this just happens to be a convenient time.

James in PA

Reaction score
I'd be equally pissed about the Amazon prime games but it just happens that I have owned that for years. It has nothing to do with NFL games. We just buy a lot of crap off of Amazon so the free shipping that's included with prime makes sense for us to have it. Once they started putting games exclusively on Amazon prime, you knew the writing was on the wall.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It is a matter of principal. I'll become a fan of smething else before I relent to this NFL business model.
All I can say is that you might as well get used to it. Don't be surprised to see Fox and/or CBS put one of their high-profile games on their streaming services.

When rape is inevitable, you might as well relax and enjoy it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'd be equally pissed about the Amazon prime games but it just happens that I have owned that for years. It has nothing to do with NFL games. We just buy a lot of crap off of Amazon so the free shipping that's included with prime makes sense for us to have it. Once they started putting games exclusively on Amazon prime, you knew the writing was on the wall.
Yeah, me, too. I already had Amazon Prime when they won the TNF contract, so it wasn't anything extra out of my pocket.

As long as I can cancel anytime, I don't have a problem forking out what amounts to the cost of a beer for a month's worth of a streaming that includes a football game I want to watch. It still costs me less than it would have had I paid Charter Spectrum before I started checking out the streaming services this past fall.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I ll just record the game when it is replayed late at night and watch it sunday morning
The problem with that strategy is that you have to bury your head in the sand for a period of time so as not to learn of the result. Otherwise, it would ruin the experience knowing what the outcome will be.

I'm an EWU alum, and in 2010, my school was playing for the FCS national championship. But I was working swing shift, so I was unable to watch it live so I programmed my DVR to record the game so I could watch it after work. I said to myself "How many people on my crew, made up of well over 50% immigrants, is going to pay attention to this game?"

Well, sure as shit, one of the guys said to me in the lunchroom "hey, I see where your alma mater won the national championship." Actually, it was still a good game even as a replay as I kept wondering if my friend had got it wrong because my team was behind by two TD's then rallied to win.

Bottom line is that if there's a game I'm interested in, I have to see it live.

OP
OP
Mick063

Mick063

Reaction score
It isn't about missing the game. It is about making a stand. It is about making a purposeful sacrifice to reinforce my point. Regardless, I wouldn't subscribe to the free trial even if it were a Seahawk game. I'm just about beyond the NFL because it forces me to subsidize FOX. I was at the breaking point anyway. It didn't take much more to put me over the top. Now that Seattle will be picking top five for the next decade, I'm not the big "fantasy football" wannabe pseudo general manager that lives for draft day type of guy. I don't live for the off season. But those types are just gonna love this new era of offseason banter headed the Seahawks way. They live for losing seasons and high draft picks. These are the people that honestly believe that winning two games is better than winning nine games. Tanking is their thing. Just so they can show us their self-important version of a mock draft. They find more fulfillment from that than from watching football itself.

I'm about done with pro football. It just isn't the same anymore.

Last edited:

flv2

Reaction score
It isn't about missing the game. It is about making a stand. It is about making a purposeful sacrifice to reinforce my point. Regardless, I wouldn't subscribe to the free trial even if it were a Seahawk game. I'm just about beyond the NFL because it forces me to subsidize FOX. I was at the breaking point anyway. It didn't take much more to put me over the top. Now that Seattle will be picking top five for the next decade, I'm not the big "fantasy football" wannabe pseudo general manager that lives for draft day type of guy. I don't live for the off season. But those types are just gonna love this new era of offseason banter headed the Seahawks way. They live for losing seasons and high draft picks. These are the people that honestly believe that winning two games is better than winning nine games. Tanking is their thing. Just so they can show us their self-important version of a mock draft. They find more fulfillment from that than from watching football itself.

I'm about done with pro football. It just isn't the same anymore.
You make a stand, and we'll watch the game.

...and i'd like to say thanks to those nice people at FOX for the free NFL games on their website again this year. 😁

Lagartixa

Reaction score
It is a matter of principal. I'll become a fan of something else before I relent to this NFL business model.

Watch it on a pirate stream.

You won't be paying Peacock, and you won't be adding to numbers that tell people at the NFL that this kind of thing is a good idea, but you'll be able to see the game.

I watched a lot of games on pirate streams in 2013-2017. Watching NFL games and talking to my mom about them was part of how I stayed close to my her during those years, plus the pirate streams were the only way I could see Seahawks games, and I watched most of those.

Anyway, one really nice surprise I got, making up a little for the difficulty of finding a good stream for the game I wanted (and the occasional need to find another mid-game when the one I was watching crapped out) was that when the streams were taken from SKY Sports U.K., I found, to my utter shock, that the people in the studio there were way better than their counterparts on U.S. networks. Neil Reynolds, despite being English, had obviously been watching NFL games as long as I had and frequently made references and comparisons to players and coaches from decades past. His analysis tended to be interesting, sometimes insightful, and usually based on hard facts, a refreshing change from the utter-BS narratives the people on the U.S. networks keep repeating.

Another guy in the studio there was Jeff Reinebold, a gridiron coach from the USA and Canada. He was born in Indiana and grew up in Indiana and Saskatchewan. He has never coached in the NFL, not even as an assistant, but he knows his stuff. He actually presented interesting analysis of plays on video, showing how and why certain things happened on an important play instead of the useless "look at this throw" crap and context-free views of touchdowns you get from the Terry Bradshaws in the studios at U.S. networks when they show highlights from games. I learned things by watching Reinebold talk about plays and point out specific things on the video screen in the SKY Sports U.K. studio. All I learn from watching the pre-game and halftime shows on U.S. networks is that I just wasted my time by watching them.

By the way, unless you were saying you'd have to sell investments to pay for the game, or that the head of a school was preventing you from watching the game, I'm pretty sure you meant to say it's a matter of principle. "Principal" is a completely different word.