I will not be watching Peacock's exclusive Wild Card game.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Yeah, but how many games have we watched that started out like this one? Did you watch the Browns-Texans? If you did, I can't believe that you're complaining about this one.
Actually the Browns Texana game started out decent but it was obvious the Browns wouldn't be able to keep up in a shootout.

cymatica

Reaction score
But the problem is that not enough people will boycott it.

If it were more costly or required a lengthy commitment, I might be taking a different position. But 5 bucks? It's not worth it IMO. But go ahead and be my guest if you want to boycott it. BTW, the Chiefs are ahead 13-7 with 3+ minutes left in the first half. Good game!
I think it's worth it, it's the principle. If enough people boycott, they won't pull this crap. If not, then I don't have to watch a game that makes no difference to me who wins.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
I hear ya. Its the principle.

I sold one of my eight Stanley cups for $25 to cover the cost. Sign up in less than a minute and then good to go.
I set a calendar reminder to cancel after 4 months.
I got egg on MY face. Turned it halfway through the 4th.

NoGain

Reaction score
Did anyone hear the Comcast/NBC commercial today about the Peacock stream of the KC/Dolphins game? It was the most ridiculous, tone deaf thing I've heard in awhile. It went something like....TONIGHT...FOR THE FIRST TIME... AN NFL PLAYOFF GAME WIILL BE SHOWN EXCLUSIVELY ON PEACOCK....like people were supposed to jump off their couches and start clapping. I was like...did they REALLY just make that commercial, like they were doing us a favor? It was so bizarre.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Did anyone hear the Comcast/NBC commercial today about the Peacock stream of the KC/Dolphins game? It was the most ridiculous, tone deaf thing I've heard in awhile. It went something like....TONIGHT...FOR THE FIRST TIME... AN NFL PLAYOFF GAME WIILL BE SHOWN EXCLUSIVELY ON PEACOCK....like people were supposed to jump off their couches and start clapping. I was like...did they REALLY just make that commercial, like they were doing us a favor? It was so bizarre.
Yeah, I noticed that, too. They also advertised it as a "historic game" because it was exclusive content. Like I'm supposed to celebrate for having to pay a premium.

I don't like them putting a playoff game on pay TV any more than you guys do. But it's not the first time they've done it. If they have a playoff game exclusively on ESPN, you have to pay for a cable, satellite, or internet subscription to watch it. The poor bastard sitting in his 1-bedroom basement apartment eating top ramen and macaroni and cheese off his stovetop and can't afford a cable subscription can't see the game on over the air with his rabbit ears TV.

When you look at the total amount of money we pay for watching NFL football, even when you add in the $5 for the Peacock game, it hasn't changed, indeed for me it's gone down because I've ditched my cable for an internet streaming service. And, since Red Zone is over for the year, I just got through reducing my subscription level to save me $25/month until next September when I can add it back on. FYI last night I shared my $4.99 Peacock subscription with my daughter living up in Spokane so they could watch the game live, so it effectively cost me $2.50 plus tax. I'll cancel my subscription next week.

Bottom line is while I agree with you guys on principle, I think that the issue is way overblown.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Not missing much...paying for this game would be a waste of money...
Yeah, but didn't you see Taylor Swift rock'in in that luxury suite wearing enough red lipstick to graffiti a 100-car train? That alone was worth the Peacock subscription.

Last edited:

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
i subscribed to Peacock for $1.99 a month on Black Friday. I'll be enjoying the game.
Same. Less than that actually…$19.99/year.

Just gotta remember to cancel it before it renews and hope they offer it again this year so my wife can get it. Rinse/repeat.

Attachments

• IMG_6203.jpeg
    IMG_6203.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Same. Less than that actually…$19.99/year.

Just gotta remember to cancel it before it renews and hope they offer it again this year so my wife can get it. Rinse/repeat.
I’ll add that shortly after subscribing, I decided to see what the Yellowstone hype was all about and it was justified. Amazing show and I banged out the series in a couple weeks. That alone was worth the price of admission — but I do agree that this model sucks.

cymatica

Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed that, too. They also advertised it as a "historic game" because it was exclusive content. Like I'm supposed to celebrate for having to pay a premium.

I don't like them putting a playoff game on pay TV any more than you guys do. But it's not the first time they've done it. If they have a playoff game exclusively on ESPN, you have to pay for a cable, satellite, or internet subscription to watch it. The poor bastard sitting in his 1-bedroom basement apartment eating top ramen and macaroni and cheese off his stovetop and can't afford a cable subscription can't see the game on over the air with his rabbit ears TV.

When you look at the total amount of money we pay for watching NFL football, even when you add in the $5 for the Peacock game, it hasn't changed, indeed for me it's gone down because I've ditched my cable for an internet streaming service. And, since Red Zone is over for the year, I just got through reducing my subscription level to save me $25/month until next September when I can add it back on. FYI last night I shared my $4.99 Peacock subscription with my daughter living up in Spokane so they could watch the game live, so it effectively cost me $2.50 plus tax. I'll cancel my subscription next week.

Bottom line is while I agree with you guys on principle, I think that the issue is way overblown.
I don't think it's overblown. I already pay over $200 a month for Comcast which includes ESPN and NFL Network. Sure it's only $5 but all those streaming services add up, and if this turns out to be lucrative for NBC not only will they move more games there but other networks will follow suit.

This is the plan for the future and it's not just tv. Car companies are now using these bs subscription models to unlock features that are already built in. The only way to stop this is to say no.

hugecanoli

Reaction score
I pay for Sunday Ticket to watch one team every Sunday. No problem dishing out the 3 bills, but wish I could choose a one team + redzone option.

I did NOT and will NOT pay to watch a playoff game on yet another streaming service. I know that means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but this shit is getting out of hand. Especially with the unbelievable amount of commercials. 80% commercials 20% gameplay. It’s insane.

Although I do agree with the guys on here saying this is the future model going forward. (Pay per view playoffs) But for now, last night I went sailing the high seas to watch a pretty shitty game….

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't think it's overblown. I already pay over $200 a month for Comcast which includes ESPN and NFL Network. Sure it's only $5 but all those streaming services add up, and if this turns out to be lucrative for NBC not only will they move more games there but other networks will follow suit.

This is the plan for the future and it's not just tv. Car companies are now using these bs subscription models to unlock features that are already built in. The only way to stop this is to say no.
If you're paying over $200 a month for your TV service, you're getting screwed.

Up until last September, I was paying close to that amount for my Charter Spectrum TV/internet service. When they got into a spat with Disney/ESPN, I dropped it and signed up for FuboTV's Premier package that had everything I wanted, ie NFL Red Zone, along with 1000 hours of DVR cloud space, something I didn't have with Charter, and I could share it on 10 different devices, so my daughter and brother-in-law are viewing it for free on my account. That makes the per person cost $40/month.

In addition, since I no longer need the Premier package, ie Red Zone, I've changed my subscription to a cheaper version that cuts $20/month off my bill. I'll change back to that package back next September.

The new mode of viewing, ie internet streaming, comes with its drawbacks, and one of them is that it's so diversified that you end up subscribing to several different services. I'm currently subscribing to Fubo, PBS, and Amazon Prime, plus the $5 I laid out for Peacock. But if I look at the bottom line, I'm paying WAY less than I was for better service, ie DVR capability, and more flexibility, ie no contracts, than I was last year at this time.

That's why I'm not bitching about a measly $5.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I agree, but Comcast is the only high speed internet where I live and they don't offer just internet.
Yeah, that sucks. I was going to ditch my Charter internet service when Ziply Fiber ran fiber optics cable to within about 150' from my house, but when I went to hook up to it, they said that it would cost me $6K to get the service ran to my house as I live on a short cul-de-sac with just 4 other residences.

There has been a lot of blow back over this, so I would imagine that the league will hesitate to let the networks to expand their exclusive service until they can show that they have a large enough customer base, such as Amazon does, that it doesn't force as many customers to pony up the extra bucks.