I wish JS would trade for Center Nick Easton

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
Berger is their #2 Center right now. Probably wouldn't be able to get him. Easton on the other hand is the #3 guy, so I imagine he'd be available...no team needs 3 Centers.

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
Rob12":3u93001o said:
Willyeye":3u93001o said:
Largent80":3u93001o said:
I want the Hawks to draft a center rather highly this year.

That's the whole point of trading for Nick Easton. Easton is a lot better than #1 Center prospect Ryan Kelly. If they traded for Easton, they'd be set at Center and they could use their 1st and 2nd round picks for a Tackle and a Guard. The Center group in this draft class is not good. If they use their 1st or 2nd pick for Ryan Kelly, it wastes a high pick on a guy that won't be a starting Center for another couple of years. Easton already has a year of being a backup under his belt and he's ready to be a starter.

I highly doubt that. Kelly has been described as the key cog in the Alabama offense. He's highly praised for a reason. Just because his SPARQ score is lower does not mean that he is inferior to a third string center on the Minnesota Vikings who has already bounced around the league quite a bit.

SPARQ scores don't always equal success in the league. Three teams in a year in a league starved for offensive lineman doesn't bode well for Easton being anything close to what you're describing him as. It just doesn't work like that. Young, cheap, controllable players don't swap teams three times in a season. When they do, there's a reason, and it's likely a very glaring one.

According to "Seahawks Draft Blog" Rob's new TEF score, it's highly unlikely that JS would pick any of the Centers in the 2016 draft. NONE of them are above the score of 3.0 that appears to be a quasi-requirement for Seahawk O-Line draftees. In fact, the only Center in the last few years that qualifies is Nick Easton. Easton has a TEF score of 3.20. That TEF score would be the 3rd highest of all O-Line prospects in the 2016 draft...he's only behind Spriggs and McGovern.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
TEF score? Never heard of it but if it's short for Teflon it actually would explain some of our O-line draft snafus and maybe why Easton hasn't stuck anywhere. Pun intended. :sarcasm_off:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Willyeye":20uz3qm0 said:
But rather than cut an undrafted rookie after the preseason, they were actually able to trade Easton for a 7th round pick to the 49ers. The 49ers already had Marcus Martin as their starting Center, and Daniel Kilgore for a backup...Kilgore also had experience at multiple positions...so Easton was 3rd on the depth chart.

Kilgore is the starter, but was out until December.

The 9ers traded a 7th for Easton because Kilgore was out and they needed a #2 center behind Marcus Martin.

They then traded Easton and a pick for Gerald Hodges in the beginning of November and ran without a #2 center for a month untl Kilgore came back.

This is a long way to say that Easton wasn't buried on the 9ers depth chart. Instead, he wasn't even suiting up when he was the #2 behind the worst center I've seen in my 30 years as a 9ers fan.

Maybe he's talented and the coaching staff sucked and didn't see it (not to hard to believe), but he definitely wasn't a victim of circumstance when he was on the 9ers.

If anything it was the perfect opportunity for a rookie UDFA to get some run, and they didn't even suit him up.

Clayfighter

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1zd55qh0 said:
TEF score? Never heard of it but if it's short for Teflon it actually would explain some of our O-line draft snafus and maybe why Easton hasn't stuck anywhere. Pun intended. :sarcasm_off:

:th2thumbs:

Latest posts