If Quinn or Bevell leave....

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bigDhawk":1u9f4gtp said:
Bevell is not getting even a sniff of interest from other NFL teams so little chance of us needing a new OC. (The only rumor I've heard associated with him is Wisconsin but they've hired a coach.) And only a small chance of losing Quinn even if we don't make it out of the division round. If we do advance to the NFCCG there is almost no chance of losing Quinn. Fun to think about but pretty much a non-starter.
Dream crusher! :(

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
BlueTalon":kgh56ktf said:
irocdave":kgh56ktf said:
Greg Roman would be the ultimate troll hire for OC.
I think this is supposed to be funny, but I can't see where the humor is.
He might be the one guy I'd choose not to hire over Bevell.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
OpHawk":18l07iz8 said:
Every now and then Bevell seems to call a great game but there are so many instances when I want to bang my head against the wall with the play calls.

Strange to think how much criticism Bevell gets when all he's done is helped lead this team to set a few offensive all-time franchise records this season.

OpHawk

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":3d47vdos said:
OpHawk":3d47vdos said:
Every now and then Bevell seems to call a great game but there are so many instances when I want to bang my head against the wall with the play calls.

Strange to think how much criticism Bevell gets when all he's done is helped lead this team to set a few offensive all-time franchise records this season.

I see disproportionate success from this offense arriving via Lynch's brute force and Russells incredible ability to make something out of a crap sandwich. :hmmmm:

RiverDog

Reaction score
bigDhawk":vbsi7zqk said:
RiverDog":vbsi7zqk said:
Yea, Bevell supposedly had an interview with the Raiders, who are down to Plan C as Plan A, Gruden, says he's staying in the broadcast booth and Plan B, Harbaugh, is on his way to Michigan.

I know a lot of 12's don't like Darrell Bevell, but we're more dependent on him than we are Quinn. Make no mistake, this is Pete's defense, and the wheels won't come off the wagon no matter who they bring in as DC.

It's Pete's offense philosophically as well- run first, take care of the ball, get chunk yardage in the passing game. Granted, he is probably a little more involved with the X's and O's on defense than he is offense, but it's not a Rob Ryan situation where the HC has no clue. Both coordinators are caretakers of Pete's philosophies and could be replaced without too much fuss given the new coordinator is at least fundamentally aligned with Pete's core values.

Understood and agreed, but it's more than just a philosophy that the OC is the caretaker of, it's personnel evaluation as well. It was Bevell that brought in guys like Harvin and Sidney Rice, Bevell that was an early advocate of drafting Russell Wilson. Although I don't have any better insight to the inner workings of our brain trust than anyone else on this board, it would make sense that Pete leans more on the advice of his offensive guys, ie Bevell and Cable, than he does on their defensive counterparts.

McGruff

Reaction score
IIRC Percy was all on Carroll, Carroll talked John into him.

Sydney Rice was part of a package deal that saw Bevell, Jackson and Rice all migrate over from Minnesota. It allowed them to hit the ground running with a strike shortened offseason.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":23eirxur said:

Sydney Rice was part of a package deal that saw Bevell, Jackson and Rice all migrate over from Minnesota. It allowed them to hit the ground running with a strike shortened offseason.

Hit the ground running in quicksand. That was an absolutely horrid offensive team.

McGruff

Reaction score
Seanhawk":e2mbymg0 said:
McGruff":e2mbymg0 said:

Hit the ground running in quicksand. That was an absolutely horrid offensive team.

I didn't say that they effectively hit the ground running, merely that was their thinking. Familiarity of all parties.

It was an average offensive team that struggled at times for many reasons. Oline continuity and a QB playing without an arm being the two biggest.