If Russell Wilson wins the Super Bowl this year...

If Russell Wilson wins the Super Bowl as a rookie, does he become GOAT in Seattle in one year?

• Yes

Votes: 103 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 30 22.6%

• Total voters

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
dunceface":2z1r1pok said:
CallMeADawg":2z1r1pok said:
dunceface":2z1r1pok said:
I thought he already was...

Not yet, sir. Stand by a city and a franchise through the best, and the worst, and never complain for a single day about whether or not your shot was what you wanted it to be. That is the true heart of a champion, and that is why Edgar Martinez will always been the shining jewel of athletic achievement in Seattle. He played the game he loved, in the city he loved to play the game for.

Count all the trophies you want. The nuts and bolts of sports are not counted on the knuckles of those lucky enough to taste the champagne at the top; rather they are earned from steel hearted devotion to making the dreams of the city you play in, shine brighter than any trophy. Championships don't breed the next generation of competitors, pride and devotion do. And if any region in the United States knows that well, it is Seattle.

GO HAWKS!

Well i was joking but damn that was beautiful

GO HAWKS

Why thank you. :)

Another good analogy about greatness in sports is Ray Lewis. Those of you that know Super Bowl history will know that the Ravens did win, under the watch of their General. But step back for a moment and think what defined Ray Lewis as a player. Only the foolish would look on a ring as a way to define him. Ray Lewis was the Maximus of the National Football League.

Are you entertained!?!?!

Good times.

Lynch, Wilson, Clemons, Irvin, Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor... those guys have it. Whether they win it all or not; that end takes nothing away from them nor does it grant them eternal devotion. Stand with us, here in the rainy city, unlike Jr, A-Rod and the rest. Be brothers, sisters, or what have you; Stand with us... and the true heart of what makes a team great, will be theirs.

I don't personally care if they win a championship, or 10 of them. I care that they stand with us, like Edgar did. Do that, and you have a treasure worth more than any Lombardi will ever give you.

pinksheets

Reaction score
To me, this isn't a competition.

Will Russell be the 'greatest' if he gets us a Superbowl win? Yeah. For now. Just like Griffey was the greatest, Edgar was the greatest, maybe Payton was the greatest, maybe Largent was the greatest. We don't need to sit here and piss and moan at one another about who is "the" greatest, they all were, they all are. They all gave something to this city, to the families who live in the area and/or watch Seattle sports together from somewhere not so close, to each of us when we were little kids (I WAS Ken Griffey Jr. when I picked up my baseball bat in the backyard), and for us to share with our own kids whether that be in the past, present, or future. Wilson will be the talk of the town and the most celebrated figure in Seattle sports if he brings this town a Lombardi, for now, until the next 'greatest' graces our city whether that be on the gridiron, the diamond, the hardwood, or on the ice. There's more than one face on Mt. Rushmore.

I don't see why we even have to find a way to argue about the things that get as close to pure as they get.

Throwdown

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":gjthdogk said:
The Mariners don't have a AL pennant let alone a WS.

The Oklahoma City Thunder have a single championship in 1979.

From an outsiders perspective, only Griffey Jr. is in the conversation just for his career and association with the Mariners. To be frank, I wasn't alive in 1979 so I can certainly not attest to the impact of the 1979 team on the city of Seattle.

I can assure you though, that when Wilson wins a SB (whether this year or not) he will be the greatest Seattle professional sports athlete ever.

OKC hasn't won spit, don't disrespect the Sonics with those tall ass smurfs.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Throwdown":114h2qy2 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":114h2qy2 said:
The Mariners don't have a AL pennant let alone a WS.

The Oklahoma City Thunder have a single championship in 1979.

From an outsiders perspective, only Griffey Jr. is in the conversation just for his career and association with the Mariners. To be frank, I wasn't alive in 1979 so I can certainly not attest to the impact of the 1979 team on the city of Seattle.

I can assure you though, that when Wilson wins a SB (whether this year or not) he will be the greatest Seattle professional sports athlete ever.

OKC hasn't won spit, don't disrespect the Sonics with those tall ass smurfs.

Yeah the Seattle SuperSonics won the championship in 1979. Not the GD Thunder. They WON that RIGHT HERE IN SEATTLE, son. If you want to speak about winners in Seattle, and you are a bit younger, I suggest you do some research on this name: Don James.

HansGruber

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":g9bqps73 said:
HansGruber":g9bqps73 said:
If Russell Wilson wins a SuperBowl as a rookie, he's pretty much #1 on the list. Win 2 and there's no question.

Largent never won one. Nor did Kemp and Payton. Or Edgar Martinez. Much less any of them doing it as a rookie. I don't know who any of those Sonics were and I don't really care, it's not even our team anymore.

Sorry sir, the DH award in MLB is called the Edgar Martinez award.... am I missing something? That is one hell of an honor.

Who cares? I'd far rather have a Lombardi in Seattle than some award named after a guy that retired a decade ago from a baseball team that doesn't even care about winning.

Throwdown

Reaction score
HansGruber":2rd7qw39 said:
CallMeADawg":2rd7qw39 said:
HansGruber":2rd7qw39 said:
If Russell Wilson wins a SuperBowl as a rookie, he's pretty much #1 on the list. Win 2 and there's no question.

Largent never won one. Nor did Kemp and Payton. Or Edgar Martinez. Much less any of them doing it as a rookie. I don't know who any of those Sonics were and I don't really care, it's not even our team anymore.

Sorry sir, the DH award in MLB is called the Edgar Martinez award.... am I missing something? That is one hell of an honor.

Who cares? I'd far rather have a Lombardi in Seattle than some award named after a guy that retired a decade ago from a baseball team that doesn't even care about winning.

This, having individually great players is cool, but its all for nothing if they aren't hoisting up the ultimate prize in the end.

But to answer the question, no I don't think Wilson would be that quickly, but it'd be a helluva start! He's got a long way to go IMO to reach the status of Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Walter Jones, Ken Griffey Jr., Edgar Martinez, Cortez Kennedy or Steve Largent (who I never I got to see play)

droop828

Reaction score
I went ahead and voted yes because he will eventually be the GOAT, in due time, especially if he wins one his rookie season.

birdman5

Reaction score
(this may be too sappy for some so caution)

I've been sitting here at work reading this message board again instead of working, like I should be, and thinking what the Seahawks winning a Lombardi trophy would truly mean to me. After living and dying with this team for it's entire life, (some say I get carried away too much with sports) my g*d, it's bringing tears to my eyes. I can't say that Russell Wilson himself would be the GOAT for me but for dang sure this TEAM will be the GOAT for me.

I was still pretty young (20) and had only lived in the area for 5 years, when the 78/79 Sonics teams made their runs and I didn't fully appreciate how difficult it is or how long it would be before this city would win another WORLD TITLE! Since that time we have had many players from various teams ingratiate themselves in our hearts and minds. Many have been mentioned on this thread. I thank them and will always appreciate them and, if you think about it, many of them are still citizens of this area and are most likely pulling VERY hard for THEIR cities team. I and many others like me are STARVED for a title. Man, I hope it happens this year, but if not, I have confidence it will come soon. I truly was beginning to think I would die before seeing another team in this city win it all. The entire Sonics championship team holds a place of HIGH esteem for me and the same would be true for this Seahawks team only with a much greater appreciation for the accomplishment this time.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I say yes because it's more than any of our other "greatest of all timers" have ever done for us. Largent was the man, but he didn't win us a Super Bowl.