If That's Not PI, then What IS?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
lobohawk":3pg6eo7p said:
Didn't know WRs could grab face masks when running their routes.
The receiver doesn't grab the facemask. He grazes it in the handfighting but he doesn't grab it. Even if you think it was incidental contact and not PI, you can't ignore the fact that there was obvious defensive holding as well that was ignored.

kearly

Reaction score
I will own up to this, I was rooting for Dallas and I think this (non)penalty helped the Seahawks. That said, I don't think you could conjure up a better example of pass interference. The DB arm barred with his left arm, initiated contact AND committed classic face guarding.

Remember how the 2005 playoffs had the worst officiating of all time, capped off by SB XL? The cause of this was said to be mixed officiating crews, which were eliminated the next season until now. For whatever reason, a mixed officiating crew was used in this game. It was brought up by Perriera and company that the lack of experience working together on the crew likely factored in the mistake to pick up the flag (which they all agreed, was a mistake). I normally don't like parroting the broadcast crew, but I agree 100% with them in this case.

Hope it's not a factor in the Seahawks playoff games.

pehawk

Reaction score
Twitter is a buzz with picks of their blatant holds too. It's bad.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
hawknation2015":26io0199 said:
SeatownJay":26io0199 said:
For there to be OPI the defender has to be making a play on the ball. The defender didn't even know where the ball was.

That's not required in the rules.

USE OF HANDS BY OFFENSIVE PLAYER
Article 2 An offensive player cannot obstruct or impede an opponent by grasping him with his hands or
encircling any part of a defender’s body with his arms, except in the following situations:
(a) If he is a runner. A runner may ward off opponents with his hands and arms. He also may lay his hand
on a teammate or push him into an opponent, but he may not grasp or hold on to a teammate; or
(b) During a loose ball that has touched the ground. An offensive player may use his hands/arms legally
to block or otherwise push or pull an opponent out of the way in a personal attempt to recover the ball.
See specific fumble, pass, or kick rules and especially 6-2-1; or
(c) During a kick. A kicking team player may use his hands/arms to ward off or to push or pull a receiver
who is legally or illegally attempting to obstruct his attempt to proceed; or
(d) During a legal block.
Penalty: For illegal use of hands, arms, or body by the offense: Loss of 10 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/publi ... onduct.pdf
Notice the bolded part of the rule. At no time is the defender obstructed or impeded. Also, he doesn't encircle the defender, he reaches over him.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1tyryqab said:
Section 1, Article 2 of the rulebook clearly states that "An offensive player cannot obstruct or impede an opponent by grasping him with his hands or encircling any part of a defender’s body with his arms." The Detroit WR grasps both the defender's left arm and the back of his helmet.

The WR barely touches the helmet, and I never saw any contact with the facemask. More importantly, this contact occurs because the WR is trying to catch the football, which is something he has a right to. The only reason he is contacting the helmet at all is because the defender is committing a blatant faceguard.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3b9aesn0 said:
hawknation2015":3b9aesn0 said:
SeatownJay":3b9aesn0 said:
For there to be OPI the defender has to be making a play on the ball. The defender didn't even know where the ball was.

Article 2 An offensive player cannot obstruct or impede an opponent by grasping him with his hands or
encircling any part of a defender’s body with his arms, except in the following situations:
(a) If he is a runner. A runner may ward off opponents with his hands and arms. He also may lay his hand
on a teammate or push him into an opponent, but he may not grasp or hold on to a teammate; or
(b) During a loose ball that has touched the ground. An offensive player may use his hands/arms legally
to block or otherwise push or pull an opponent out of the way in a personal attempt to recover the ball.
(c) During a kick. A kicking team player may use his hands/arms to ward off or to push or pull a receiver
Penalty: For illegal use of hands, arms, or body by the offense: Loss of 10 yards.

Notice the bolded part of the rule. At no time is the defender obstructed or impeded. Also, he doesn't encircle the defender, he reaches over him.

The WR clearly encircles the defender's body and the back of his helmet.

http://youtu.be/gAhqsb7Oag8?t=41s
Hitnfl 650x365
Cowboys lions pass interference

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":3rpdkro2 said:
hawknation2015":3rpdkro2 said:
Section 1, Article 2 of the rulebook clearly states that "An offensive player cannot obstruct or impede an opponent by grasping him with his hands or encircling any part of a defender’s body with his arms." The Detroit WR grasps both the defender's left arm and the back of his helmet.

The WR barely touches the helmet, and I never saw any contact with the facemask. More importantly, this contact occurs because the WR is trying to catch the football, which is something he has a right to. The only reason he is contacting the helmet at all is because the defender is committing a blatant faceguard.

There was contact with the facemask by the WR . . . which causes the defender to reach out at the WR. Then the WR encircles the defender, grabbing both his left arm and the back of his helmet.

The bottom line is both players were committing fouls against one another on this play. You either pick up the flag or replay the down.

lobohawk

Reaction score
kearly":16y91qrp said:
hawknation2015":16y91qrp said:

You can see it at the link below. Before they became entangled, the WR is pulling his mask down. A push-off using the mask.

http://m.imgur.com/YR15nHD

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":343q9az0 said:
kearly":343q9az0 said:
hawknation2015":343q9az0 said:

There was contact with the facemask by the WR . . . which causes the defender to reach out at the WR. Then the WR encircles the defender, grabbing both his left arm and the back of his helmet.

The bottom line is both players were committing fouls against one another on this play. You either pick up the flag or replay the down.

But, there was no call for facemask, at least not that I heard or saw. The only call was for DPI, and the only flag thrown. Also, no explanation for the pickup of the flag.

endzorn

Reaction score
What will Dean Blandino feed to the masses this week? A plate of runny shit or will he just get on camera, flip of the audience and laugh while he dons a Romo jersey?

I kinda like the shitstorm.

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1h2qxz7a said:
kearly":1h2qxz7a said:
hawknation2015":1h2qxz7a said:

Dude, the receiver is playing the football. He's trying to catch it and the Dallas player is "interfering" with him to prevent it happening. Without looking back at the ball. Hence the term "pass interference".

If the defender looks back, then it's a good play. But he doesn't.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":25xjyr7d said:
hawknation2015":25xjyr7d said:
kearly":25xjyr7d said:
hawknation2015":25xjyr7d said:

But, there was no call for facemask, at least not that I heard or saw. The only call was for DPI, and the only flag thrown. Also, no explanation for the pickup of the flag.

This is one of the moments where I wish Ed Hochuli could referee every game; of course, the average game time would increase. Also one of those moments where I wish Mike Pereira could increase his IQ by a few points.

When two players commit penalties against one another with the ball in the air, the common response is no call. They also could have offset the penalties, with more explanation, and replayed the down.

Jville

Reaction score
A video sequence of the play is embedded in the link below

Caldwell on picked-up flag: Explanation wasn't 'good enough' >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000454254/article/caldwell-on-pickedup-flag-explanation-wasnt-good-enough[/urltargetblank]

hawknation2015

Reaction score

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1w8vn9oy said:
SeatownJay":1w8vn9oy said:
hawknation2015":1w8vn9oy said:
SeatownJay":1w8vn9oy said:

The WR clearly encircles the defender's body and the back of his helmet.

http://youtu.be/gAhqsb7Oag8?t=41s
Hitnfl 650x365
Cowboys lions pass interference

Stills don't exactly tell the story imo , and it looks like that only happened because he was going after the ball.

[youtube]tf57TGvh_nI[/youtube]

You can see he grasp/clinched when the ball was coming and at that point there was already contact/interference from the defender.

EDIT:

Also a really good view showing that the WR/TE did grab the defender's face mask which might of been a reason why he couldn't turn his head for the ball.

https://vine.co/v/OdD5hWMBK2q

I guess them picking up the flag makes some sense if they factored in the facemask to offset, but then it also would've been a replayed down.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":3hbitf4n said:

He's right that faceguarding alone is not a penalty. But the hand on the receiver's right arm would have been interference if not for the offensive facemask/encircling the defender.

vonstout

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1w6i87zk said:
AF_Hawk":1w6i87zk said:
Pass interference not called: http://youtu.be/gAhqsb7Oag8

After watching the play, picking up the flag was the correct call.

So yes, there was pass interference; however, the offensive pass interference cancels out the simultaneous defensive pass interference. Picking up the flag was the just call in that situation.

Every person on every station doing the postgame, including multiple former players said it was a penalty on Dallas. Both holding and DPI.

endzorn

Reaction score
Archer: Can you tell me what the decision was when you decided to reverse the call?
Morelli: I hate Suh

Archer: Why did you reverse the call?
Morelli: The head linesman and I were talking and he said, "Goodell has pictures of my wife."

Archer: Sooooo, you decided it wasn't what it blatantly appeared to be?
Morelli: It appeared to be a massive bonus for the whole crew as soon as the Lions punted.

Archer: Doesnt that seem dishonorable?
Morelli: Reminds me of something Bill Leavy once told me, "Time heals all wounds, and a fat envelope of cash buys a ton of hookers."