If the Hawks play like that vs (insert good team)....

amill87

Reaction score
they will lose.

Well no s.

I keep hearing this crap getting thrown up (Danny and Bob on 710 are pretty bad today). It's a knee jerk reaction. It's funny that not many teams will be able to do what the Rams did because no other team has Robert Quinn and Chris Long. That factor is constantly ignored by the people that make that statement.

The Rams defense gave us fits last year and put the book out there right before the playoffs yet it didn't seem to hurt our offense come playoff time.

They also are talking about how the offense hasn't a complete game this season. Well just two weeks ago, this same offense was looking pretty damn good vs the Cards. The Rams game was awful, they will likely be the thorn in our side for awhile but just because it happened against them does not mean that is how the rest of our season will play out.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Rose-colored glasses for the most part. Though the Quinn-and-Long thing is pertinent; no other DE tandem in the league is better at rushing Wilson while keeping him contained.

The Seahawks need to get healthy, fix the offensive line problems, let their QB keep growing, clean up the horribly-timed penalties, and probably keep drafting at WR and TE. It's not as if these problems are a sure sign of playoff doom, but nobody's happy about them. The Rams were the team most qualified to expose these problems, but they were not by any means the first team to do so.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
The Niners lost and tied the Rams last year.

And then went to the Super Bowl.

OP
OP
amill87

amill87

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":6dr9j3eh said:
Rose-colored glasses for the most part. Though the Quinn-and-Long thing is pertinent; no other DE tandem in the league is better at rushing Wilson while keeping him contained.

The Seahawks need to get healthy, fix the offensive line problems, let their QB keep growing, clean up the horribly-timed penalties, and probably keep drafting at WR and TE. It's not as if these problems are a sure sign of playoff doom, but nobody's happy about them. The Rams were the team most qualified to expose these problems, but they were not by any means the first team to do so.

What about the offensive performance just two weeks ago?

I know some of these issues where there but most of these weren't as much as a fear as they are now.

Now if teams start showing that they can execute the same game plan the Rams did (I doubt any can), than I will be worried.

OP
OP
amill87

amill87

Reaction score
Now I don't have an answer why our coaches can't figure out how to do anything vs the Rams defense while other teams can but think of the nightmare they present.

Do you double both Quinn and Long? What if they send one or two extra? McQ and Bowie clearly could not block either DE one on one, so we had to give them help. It was a perfectly played game of cat and mouse and Fisher has our coaches number for whatever reason.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Very few, if any, teams have the personnel that match up against us the way the Rams do. I'm concerned about the O line play but not the team in general. We'll be fine.

OP
OP
amill87

amill87

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":qzgbn7tz said:
Very few, if any, teams have the personnel that match up against us the way the Rams do. I'm concerned about the O line play but not the team in general. We'll be fine.

Oh I'm concerned too. But I don't think what we saw Monday is indicative of whats to come. W

We also have possibly the best quick pass rush beating player in the league joining the fold at some point this season. Harvin excels at the short passing game. If you think seeing Harvin lined up in the back field next to Lynch and Wilson won't slow down defensive ends just by presence alone, well I think you will be in for a surprise the effect he can have.

jhawk91

Reaction score
All but probably 2 maybe 3 games have been close this year. So maybe no other team matches up quite as well as the rams, it doesn't mean they can't take advantage of it well enough to pull off a win against the hawks. And with the standings for home field advantage the way they are now, one loss could be enough to lose it and force us to go on the road for the playoffs.

Hawks46

Reaction score
amill87":67cvx6py said:
Now I don't have an answer why our coaches can't figure out how to do anything vs the Rams defense while other teams can but think of the nightmare they present.

Do you double both Quinn and Long? What if they send one or two extra? McQ and Bowie clearly could not block either DE one on one, so we had to give them help. It was a perfectly played game of cat and mouse and Fisher has our coaches number for whatever reason.

It goes both ways. It's not like you can just go out and do what the Rams did to us if you're Tampa Bay, because you don't have Quinn and Long. Most teams have one dominant DE that you can chip with a back or TE, help the Tackle some way. Not many teams have that great of a DE tandem.

Conversely, you can scheme some things to stop the Rams, and I'm a little upset that they coaching staff didn't see this disparity iin talent coming that game, but if your guys can't protect, if neither Tackle can execute, you're kinda screwed. And they Rams knew it; it's why they stacked 8-9 in the box and took away the run. If we had a dominant outside prescence at WR, it would help a bit, but we just don't.

Boiler

Reaction score
I can't wait until Sunday so that we can all move on from the Rams game. The Rams also went 1-0-1 against the 49ers last year, and made the 49ers look "pedestrian". The Seahawks blew the 49ers out late in the season, and made them look outright bad. If I recall, the 49ers still managed to go pretty far in the playoffs.

Seeker

Reaction score
This is why I miss salk, he would be quick to point out truths. brock has had something against lynch and I can't figure out why. made a HUGE push to get him in trouble during the offseason from missing optional team events.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
True, but usually if you show a particular weakness during the year, and it isn't addressed, you tend to see that exploited later by a good coach in the playoffs.

So the idea we can put the Rams game behind us as an outlier probably isn't reasonable either.

It was our worst showing, but I doubt it is the last time we see someone try to repeat the same tactics to shut RW down and shut our run game down.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
The Rams demolished our (completely healthy) offensive line in week 17 last year for six sacks and tons of pressure and our next two opponents in the playoffs weren't able to repeat it. In fact the only team since then that has is Houston, who also has the personnel necessary to exploit it. We're not going to be facing STL or HOU in the playoffs.

OP
OP
amill87

amill87

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2x6ffylo said:
True, but usually if you show a particular weakness during the year, and it isn't addressed, you tend to see that exploited later by a good coach in the playoffs.

So the idea we can put the Rams game behind us as an outlier probably isn't reasonable either.

It was our worst showing, but I doubt it is the last time we see someone try to repeat the same tactics to shut RW down and shut our run game down.

I kind of have an under lying point here and it's that the NFL is not that black and white.

Just because one team dominates another team and shows a weakness does not future affect dominated team per say. As others stated, the Rams beat and tied the Niners. We embarrassed the Niners right before the playoffs and they still went to the Super Bowl and damn near won it.

If we used the logic that a team had a weakness exposed by another team during the regular season, than no team can win the Super bowl because they all have had their weaknesses exposed.

There's no point in saying "if these aren't addressed this will happen". The coaches know that. We all know that. Funny thing is some of these issues that we are having will be addressed purely by Okung, Breno, and Harvin joining the fold.

*edit to add*

Every super bowl champion except one has lost a game and showed weakness at some point in the season. We all know adjustments need to be made to this team to win it all but we don't know if those adjustments will be made just yet. And we won't know until the season is over.

Steve2222

Reaction score
It's funny. Everybody was high on Cincy after last week.

So what happens this week? They play a 3-4 team on the road (sound familiar?) and lose.

Maybe it really is tough to win in the NFL regardless of opponent, especially on the road.

mrblitz

Reaction score
the thing that people don't get is that the rams are actually a good team.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The Rams are built to punish teams in the NFC West.

I agree with the OP. This was a bad match-up for us, just like the 2 games we played against them last year.

Seahawkx

Reaction score
Who is expecting a 50-0 beating of the Rams when they come here later in the season?! I am.. I think they pissed of the Seahawks just like the Cardinals did first game of last year. Huge payback time!

kf3339

Reaction score
My biggest issue is that the Rams use the same defensive alignment and schemes against every other opponent they face. It's not like Long and Quinn are sat and only allowed to play each against us.

The real issue is that we again were out coached by Fox and his assistants, and PC just doesn't have a clue how to adjust when needed. This is also even the case on defense when they didn't seem to have a problem rushing for 200 yards on us. Even figuring that the defense was tired since the offense was crap, you still would have thought that PC would have made some adjustments to take this part of their game away from them, but nothing.

No, the real issue is that Fox is just a much better HC than PC when it comes to in-game decisions and will probably always have our number.

We were lucky to win, but we take it anyway.