If you had any doubt about RW being clutch in big games..

pocketprotector

Reaction score
falcongoggles":muaw97cu said:
The person who declared that RW would not have a sophomore slump because of his history of being clutch was spot on and made a great observation.
I remember the last game when you questioned whether Seattle should "address the qb position" in the offseason.

GREAT observation by you. Just great.....

BioDawg03

Reaction score
I think the reason you don't give the MVP to Wilson is that he was 9/15 for 97 yards and 10 rushing when the game was 29-0....

If you want to find a QB that should have won MVP but didn't, look at Brett Favre... he had 246 passing, 2 TDs and 1 rushing TD.... but instead it went to Desmond Howard who returned a kick for a TD when they were already ahead by 6.....

The tricky part of the MVP this year was that Russell did have a very efficient game, but it was like hitting a Grand Slam in the 7th inning when you already have an 8 run lead..... This game was over when Percy returned the Kick for a touchdown to start the second half..... at that point Russell could have handed the ball to Lynch and Turbin the remainder of the game and win going away.... Malcolm Smith and the D made the plays to decide the game and Percy put the exclamation point on the win... the rest was just icing....

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Been saying it since the Chicago game last year and I'll say it again her: this kid is the QB I have been waiting to see on our team since the beginning of the franchise.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
BioDawg03":3d3d9b87 said:
I think the reason you don't give the MVP to Wilson is that he was 9/15 for 97 yards and 10 rushing when the game was 29-0....

If you want to find a QB that should have won MVP but didn't, look at Brett Favre... he had 246 passing, 2 TDs and 1 rushing TD.... but instead it went to Desmond Howard who returned a kick for a TD when they were already ahead by 6.....

The tricky part of the MVP this year was that Russell did have a very efficient game, but it was like hitting a Grand Slam in the 7th inning when you already have an 8 run lead..... This game was over when Percy returned the Kick for a touchdown to start the second half..... at that point Russell could have handed the ball to Lynch and Turbin the remainder of the game and win going away.... Malcolm Smith and the D made the plays to decide the game and Percy put the exclamation point on the win... the rest was just icing....

That he stepped up when it was time to put the hammer down and put it to bed once and for all is a defining factor in being clutch. He didn't choke, knowing he was on the way to winning the first Super Bowl in franchise history. Instead, he got better. That is clutch, and easily could have been MVP. A hell of a performance, really.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
mikeak":3cx4zmhg said:
3rd down conversions in this game - huge
Number of receivers (even lockette w a catch)
Buying time
70%+ passing

Keep winning week in and out

He was my MVP - he did everything with what he was given. He can do so much more but plays within the system

I agree....funny because my screen name avatar is true. Honestly the whole team was the MVP but Wilson did what he needed to do to put points on the board and give the defense rest. Alot of clutch plays tonight by him and the WRs

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Eric Davis said Russell's performance was every bit as good as last years MVP. Oh well maybe next year.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
I kind of like that Smith won it because his interception two weeks ago got us to this game in the first place. It's like he is the MVP for the entire playoffs, not just the Super Bowl.

BioDawg03

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2w22a7p1 said:
That he stepped up when it was time to put the hammer down and put it to bed once and for all is a defining factor in being clutch. He didn't choke, knowing he was on the way to winning the first Super Bowl in franchise history. Instead, he got better. That is clutch, and easily could have been MVP. A hell of a performance, really.

I think you have a pretty different definition of clutch than most.... Making plays when your team is already ahead by 4 TDs and the other team is totally demoralized isn't exactly clutch....

Like I said, Russell and Kearse/Baldwin added the exclamation point.... But if scoring TDs when the game is out of hand is clutch then A-Rod the king of the blow out multi-run HR is one of the most clutch hitters ever....

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
joeseahawks":36qvmwub said:
If you watch Russell in College , you knew he had it. I'm not surprised. Watched him for 3 years at NC State. Kid is good. Period.
Happy he was short so we can pick him. If he was taller, he would be swinging it for some pathetic team ...

During the Rose Bowl for the 2011 season, my dad (Duck Alum) texts me from the game "Where in the hell did Russell fricking Wilson come from? He looks like a Pro"

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
BioDawg03":1sydqhfk said:
Seahawk Sailor":1sydqhfk said:

I think you have a pretty different definition of clutch than most.... Making plays when your team is already ahead by 4 TDs and the other team is totally demoralized isn't exactly clutch....

Like I said, Russell and Kearse/Baldwin added the exclamation point.... But if scoring TDs when the game is out of hand is clutch then A-Rod the king of the blow out multi-run HR is one of the most clutch hitters ever....
I would classify clutch play as RW moving the chains on consecutive 3rd down plays and key first half drives that allowed our defense to rest while getting us into the redzone. As we've seen even the greatest qb couldn't make the plays RW made under duress yet people still question our qb who goes against the LOB everyday.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Hey I get that most folks want to describe clutch as throwing interceptions then making up for it in the waning moments aka Luck. Sorry RW has done that in the past but he's matured now.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Russ Willstrong":2t62n73x said:
BioDawg03":2t62n73x said:
Seahawk Sailor":2t62n73x said:

I would classify clutch play as RW moving the chains on consecutive 3rd down plays and key first half drives that allowed our defense to rest while getting us into the redzone. As we've seen even the greatest qb couldn't make the plays RW made under duress yet people still question our qb who goes against the LOB everyday.

It would have been easy enough for a second-year player in his first Super Bowl to get the jitters and start making bad decisions and bad throws, especially facing a team like the #1 AFC Champion Broncos and future Hall of Famer Peyton Manning. He was clutch in that he kept doing exactly what he needed to do, and only got better as the game progressed. The only reason he didn't come from behind because he didn't have to. Clutch.

JimZornsCorn

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is a class act all the way. I loved when they showed him after the NFCCG asking Terry Bradshaw for advice being very respectful and taking in what the first QB to win four rings said. I'm very happy for that young man.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Normally Dan Lebatard irritates me but at the moment he is making a very persuasive argument that If Pete hadn't gone with RW and took the easy expected road with Flynn that we wouldn't be holding that trophy this morning.

Me I liked Pete's point guard analogy. He said We ask Russell to get the ball in the right guys hands at the right time and let them make the plays. But he said if we need him to fling it for 400 yards we know he can do that for us too.

His coach at Wisconsin said when you give Russell a game plan it better be a good one because he is going to execute it exactly as you drew it up every time.
That is what Pete asks of Russell most of the time but the team also has the confidence in him that when he needs to step out side the plans now he will get the job done.

Anthony!

Reaction score
BioDawg03":xvp1mbaw said:

ahh you might want to recheck the game winning drive which ended up being the lynch score does not happen without RW add to that the 2 FGs drives do not happen without Rw going 4-6 on 3rd down, without all that the game might have been much different. Add to that answer manning TD with a TD ending any chances for a Manning comeback. so yeah MVP no Doubt

Latest posts