I'm not the only person who thinks the Cards are overrated.

kearly

Reaction score
The way things look right now, Seattle is probably going to end the year #1 in DVOA and Arizona will probably end #2. I think Seattle has been unlucky this year and AZ lucky.... if you are leading the NFL's #1 DVOA team four years running by 3 games in the division, its fair to say luck is on your side.

But luck aside, Arizona has a very good QB and a very good head coach. Teams that have a QB in the top QB discussion and a coach in the top coach discussion tend to be very, very good teams.

chris98251

Reaction score
You guys keep bringing up DVOA, it's a gauge, just like anything else, difference between 1 and 2 negligible, wins and losses are what got them the Division Championship regardless of DVOA, people will say lucky because it doesn't fit into a spreadsheet. I didn't know you could put heart and desire and not quitting on a spread sheet, same reason you can't measure the Seahawks in the same way. I think the rankings are due to all the above not inversely.

AZ_fan

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2islaqyc said:
On an opposing fans message board nonetheless....do you normally walk through fire and expect not to get burned too?

Not at all. I can run with the big dogs... I love it on the porch.

chris98251":2islaqyc said:
You guys keep bringing up DVOA, it's a gauge, just like anything else, difference between 1 and 2 negligible, wins and losses are what got them the Division Championship regardless of DVOA

This was discussed in a thread yesterday... a link showed the top 13 DVOA teams dating back to 1990 and only 2 won the Super Bowl... the '91 Redskins who were at the top and the '13 Seahawks who were near the bottom. The '12 Seahawks were slightly higher up the list.

One other team made the game and lost... the 18-0 Patriots.

So 3 of 13 of the #1 DVOA teams made the Super Bowl.. and 2 won it.

Time to head to Vegas...

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
The Cardinals are not overrated and anybody who thinks they are are simply fooling themselves. 11-2 is fantastic and they have beaten us, Bengals, Vikings and will have a chance vs the Packers. They are legit even if they do end up losing to us. I personally am sorry to see Honey Badger go, but I also want Jimmy Graham back (a lot of people on here disagree :pukeface: ). They are putting a banner up in their nest next year, not us so overrated, me thinks not.

formido

Reaction score
AZ_fan":2xu7pjuq said:
hawkfan68":2xu7pjuq said:
On an opposing fans message board nonetheless....do you normally walk through fire and expect not to get burned too?

Not at all. I can run with the big dogs... I love it on the porch.

chris98251":2xu7pjuq said:
You guys keep bringing up DVOA, it's a gauge, just like anything else, difference between 1 and 2 negligible, wins and losses are what got them the Division Championship regardless of DVOA

This was discussed in a thread yesterday... a link showed the top 13 DVOA teams dating back to 1990 and only 2 won the Super Bowl... the '91 Redskins who were at the top and the '13 Seahawks who were near the bottom. The '12 Seahawks were slightly higher up the list.

One other team made the game and lost... the 18-0 Patriots.

So 3 of 13 of the #1 DVOA teams made the Super Bowl.. and 2 won it.

Time to head to Vegas...

Incidentally, Bovada has Seattle above Arizona today in Super Bowl odds.

AZ_fan

Reaction score
formido":2ckg70bg said:
AZ_fan":2ckg70bg said:
Time to head to Vegas...

I see that... 3rd behind the Pats and Panthers.

We dropped due to HB's injury as was to be expected I guess. Lose your top defensive player and the odds go down...

I still remember watching the Tyson/Douglas fight... Tyson was a 42-1 favorite.

rideaducati

Reaction score
AZ_fan":ixipj4gz said:
formido":ixipj4gz said:
AZ_fan":ixipj4gz said:
Time to head to Vegas...

I see that... 3rd behind the Pats and Panthers.

We dropped due to HB's injury as was to be expected I guess. Lose your top defensive player and the odds go down...

I still remember watching the Tyson/Douglas fight... Tyson was a 42-1 favorite.

Keep dreaming your cards have a shot, it's cute.

ClutchDJ

Reaction score
chris98251":1lln573t said:
You guys keep bringing up DVOA, it's a gauge, just like anything else, difference between 1 and 2 negligible, wins and losses are what got them the Division Championship regardless of DVOA, people will say lucky because it doesn't fit into a spreadsheet. I didn't know you could put heart and desire and not quitting on a spread sheet, same reason you can't measure the Seahawks in the same way. I think the rankings are due to all the above not inversely.

This.

The over-usage of DVOA on this forum is just really weird.

rideaducati

Reaction score
ClutchDJ":3biljdj5 said:
chris98251":3biljdj5 said:

This.

People use what is available to make their point. Cardinal fans can't find many stats to make theirs.

rlkats

Reaction score
Maulbert":3rocd0pw said:
http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/5-most-overrated-teams-in-the-nfl.html/2/

Maybe I'm just sick of how Cardinal fans (ringless generally excluded) have been acting this offseason like the Cards were better than everyone else this season with only Carson Palmer's injury stopping them from reaching the Super Bowl, but I found this refreshing from all the chuckle heads picking them to win the West next year. Nice to know someone noticed that statistically, they are one of the luckiest NFL teams in the last 2 seasons. Plus, Carson Palmer is your savior? Seriously? Sorry if this seems harsh..... Cards fans have just been bugging me lately.

Ya but be honest. You think every team that does not wear a hawk uniform is overrated lol. ;)

kearly

Reaction score
chris98251":179zcnms said:

It's really more a case of Seattle being unlucky combined with the Cardinals catching some breaks. Seattle has more estimated wins than Arizona does right now, but AZ has been 5-1 in close games while Seattle has been 2-4 (Seattle was very good in close games before 2015).

As far as DVOA goes, if the season ended today Seattle would be the first team to finish #1 in DVOA and be 3 games out of first place in their division. Granted, Seattle's DVOA is a little inflated because of how hot they've been lately, but still, it's something that had never happened before in 27 seasons worth of data.

Granted, AZ isn't even the luckiest team this season (Carolina). AZ is a very good team and worthy of a bye week. You can be good and lucky at the same time.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
AZ is a good team. They have had some major injuries as we have as well. Palmer is playing great and I have always liked his play.

I think we match up pretty well. I think it's important we rest as many players on the D as we can when we can. Avril the last few weeks has not been amazing just good. MB has been banged up a bit. So we need to try and get them some rest here and there. Having hill sidelined is not helping.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":30vt5ydf said:
chris98251":30vt5ydf said:

It's really more a case of Seattle being unlucky combined with the Cardinals catching some breaks. Seattle has more estimated wins than Arizona does right now, but AZ has been 5-1 in close games while Seattle has been 2-4 (Seattle was very good in close games before 2015).

As far as DVOA goes, if the season ended today Seattle would be the first team to finish #1 in DVOA and be 3 games out of first place in their division. Granted, Seattle's DVOA is a little inflated because of how hot they've been lately, but still, it's something that had never happened before in 27 seasons worth of data.

Granted, AZ isn't even the luckiest team this season (Carolina). AZ is a very good team and worthy of a bye week. You can be good and lucky at the same time.
Like Seattle was lucky in 2013, but good. With wins in close games vs bad teams like TB, STL, and Houston, and a stinker of a home loss to the Cards in what has to be still the worst overall game Bevell has called. Those games were the talk of why we would lose games on the way to the SB. But the losses never came.

AZ_fan

Reaction score
rideaducati":65xi7pg1 said:

Does that mean you'll be here in January and won't be hiding under a rock somewhere when Seattle gets beat?

rideaducati":65xi7pg1 said:
ClutchDJ":65xi7pg1 said:

People use what is available to make their point. Cardinal fans can't find many stats to make theirs.

Seahawks fans use it to make their point and feel better about their team.

"We are #1 in DVOA so we are going to win the Super Bowl."

I make my point with 12-2 and the 39-32 beatdown in Seattle in week 10. Don't even argue how you almost won and the game was a one score game... we both know if not for the 2 red zone turnovers it's 39-18. Your team was dominated... at home.

Chew on that for a while bud.

My apologies to those that have to read this, but this post really strikes a nerve.

Rex

Reaction score
AZ_fan":19pugamf said:
rideaducati":19pugamf said:

Does that mean you'll be here in January and won't be hiding under a rock somewhere when Seattle gets beat?

rideaducati":19pugamf said:
ClutchDJ":19pugamf said:

Seahawks fans use it to make their point and feel better about their team.

"We are #1 in DVOA so we are going to win the Super Bowl."

I make my point with 12-2 and the 39-32 beatdown in Seattle in week 10. Don't even argue how you almost won and the game was a one score game... we both know if not for the 2 red zone turnovers it's 39-18. Your team was dominated... at home.

Chew on that for a while bud.

My apologies to those that have to read this, but this clown really strikes a nerve.

The desert dirty birdies are for real. That offense is very special. Even 'Ol Wobbly Jowls is an excellent HC. I hope this is your teams year. :th2thumbs:

AZ_fan

Reaction score
Rex":3odoxt8d said:
The desert dirty birdies are for real. That offense is very special. Even 'Ol Wobbly Jowls is an excellent HC. I hope this is your teams year. :th2thumbs:

Thanks... I hope so too.

First things first though... gotta lock up #2 this weekend.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe the NFCCG will be Cards vs. Seahawks part 3. Similar to 2013, when the Seahawks played the 49ers in the NFC Championship. Will be the 3rd straight season in which the NFCCG is going to be a very competitive game. The Cards have a lot of weapons on offense and a solid OL. On defense, they are solid up front and Buchanon is almost Kam-like for them. Although, Losing Mathieu will hurt. It's as if the Seahawks lost Thomas back there.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":29a26jem said:
Like Seattle was lucky in 2013, but good. With wins in close games vs bad teams like TB, STL, and Houston, and a stinker of a home loss to the Cards in what has to be still the worst overall game Bevell has called. Those games were the talk of why we would lose games on the way to the SB. But the losses never came.

I agree with your overall point, but for clarity's sake, in 2013 Seattle went 13-3 with 13 estimated wins, so their luck that season was perfectly neutral. Seattle had some lucky wins that season, but also a couple losses where they outplayed their opponent and lost. Seattle's luckiest seasons in terms of exceeding estimated wins were 2010 and 2014.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ClutchDJ":2r8ff11b said:
ClutchDJ":2r8ff11b said:
Hasselbeck":2r8ff11b said:
I don't think Arizona even finishes .500 this year. Even with Palmer under center they were extremely fortunate to be where they were at. The Chargers blew the opener. The Eagles blew a lead late in the game on a bomb to John Brown. The Cowboys were without Romo.

Palmer with 2 ACL injuries at age 35 doesn't worry me at all. The Rams are going to be the dangerous team in the West if Gurley stays healthy.
Eh, I feel like I've been hearing this for the past 3 years.

Foles isn't so durable himself either.

Make that 4.

:lol:

Yeah was way off on both. The Cards are legit. The Rams are still the Rams.

I really believe the NFC Championship will be Seahawks-Cards III

Latest posts