I'm telling you, heat was a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
As someone who at the Green Bay game here had to go buy a white jersey because the blue one was steaming me in the sun on a not-even-very-hot-day in seattle, the change made a tremendous difference.

The heat was a factor. Not an excuse but a factor. The team needed to do better to make it less of an issue. Getting off the field earlier in the game on third down would have been a good start. That didn't happen. Then we get the ball back and percy goes the 50 yards for the TD, defense in their blue jerseys - right back onto the field. THen percy fumbles - defense right back onto the field.

At that point it was too much and the guys were cooked.

Of course I believe the biggest death blow was bruce irvin's ridiculously stupid shove out of bounds. At that point this team deserved the loss.

Considering the time of possession, the fact that we had the ball within one score at the end was somewhat of a little victory.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Mental? To a certain point. I've run 30 marathons (26.2 miles) and I've run 31 miles.
It's mental. BUT when the temps were above 75 I was toast. 3+ hours in the sun while STILL staying as hydrated as I could, my race time still dropped 20-30 minutes and one race I was walking the last mile.
I train in Seattle. One of my worst races was Malibu at 80 degrees.
The defense was out the forever. The Charger defense wasn't.
Heat was a factor. San Diego was more prepared for it.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
dutchman063":czujxyc1 said:
So this team is a bunch of poosies who cant play in a little heat?? lol..

Like i said in my post, the jersey colors make a huge difference - but of course, not one you can make excuses with. However when the time of possession is so skewed for a number of reasons, you just compound it.

The defense was on the field for over 42 out of 60 minutes in heat that on those dark jerseys probably was close to 120 degrees.

That's not saying they are 'pooosies', it's saying they are carbon-based life-forms who are mostly water.

what hurt:

1.) Allowing an 8 minute drive to start the game in 14 plays
2.) Offense comes back on the field, scores in 1:25 in 3 plays
3.) Defense goes back on the field, allows a 4+ minute drive for 10 plays
4.) Offense goes 3 and out over 2 minutes.
5.) Defense gives up 5 minute 10 play drive
6.) Percy Harvin fumbles, defense right back on thefield
7.) 3:30 drive for 6 plays and a TD

Before you knew it, the defense had been on the field for 21 minutes and 40 plays mid way through the second quarter, with an accumulated 3.5 minutes/6 plays in between to recover.

So, it's not an excuse,they put themselves into that situation. But you simply can't do that to yourselves when the weather is a factor.

dutchman063

Reaction score
So in that case they may as well not even suit up and play if the temp reaches 100degrees... just a pathetic excuse... they got their asses handed to them fair n square.. quit qwhining

Hawknballs

Reaction score
dutchman063":1w4bppqu said:
So in that case they may as well not even suit up and play if the temp reaches 100degrees... just a pathetic excuse... they got their asses handed to them fair n square.. quit qwhining

It's not an excuse. It's a factor. I'm sorry about facts and science.

rastahawk

Reaction score
dutchman063":2kk1r6gq said:

Gross oversimplification but hey if that's the way you comprehend things. So let me simplify the answer to your question - NO.

You may have missed the debate on the definition of a "little" heat. It was by no means little and it was more of a factor than the recreational meteorologists on this board think.

Largent80

Reaction score
rastahawk":10bvrzkg said:
dutchman063":10bvrzkg said:

Gross oversimplification but hey if that's the way you comprehend things. So let me simplify the answer to your question - NO.

You may have missed the debate on the definition of a "little" heat. It was by no means little and it was more of a factor than the recreational meteorologists on this board think.

Quoted for TRUTH from someone that was there and had to practically carry my wife out from heat exhaustion, and she was even in the shade for 1/2 the game.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
Did you guys see Sherman walking to the sidelines I believe it was sometime in the first quarter , it looked liked he was going to collapse , I am not making excuses, but I do remember a game way back in LA ( when the raiders were in LA) I was at the game it must have been 110 in the stands and 120 on the field volunteers were spraying all the fans with water mist through out the game, yes it does have a effect on the players, .

rastahawk

Reaction score
Largent80":29ymf7rm said:
rastahawk":29ymf7rm said:
dutchman063":29ymf7rm said:

Quoted for TRUTH from someone that was there and had to practically carry my wife out from heat exhaustion, and she was even in the shade for 1/2 the game.

Hey Larg great to finally meet you! Man what a crazy day eh! Glad you and your wife made it out okay. Walking back up to that Greenline tram at the end, my wife was not doing too good I was literally looking around for what the hell I would do if she passed out. She soldiered through it in the end but she was literally hanging off me. Thank god I took your advice and parked at that station because we popped outta there no problem and I hit the first gas station off the 15 Nth freeway and loaded up on gatorade, water and cold popsicles. Just trying to bring our core temperatures down. There was a lone gentleman Hawk fan next to us up the stairs and he did not look good! Kept hanging off the rails. I asked him a couple of times if he was okay. Last I saw he hopped on the train hopefully he's okay. I was also thinking if this guy drops I may have to catch him. Looking back me and the missus concluded that this was the hottest game we've been to even compared to my son's Pop Warner football games in Yucca Valley and Palm Desert when the actual weather forecast listed them as 100 degree days. A crazy hot day on Sunday I tell you. And my wife is today redder than the red she gets when I complain about her cooking :lol:

Largent80

Reaction score
Yeah Rasta, it was a privelege to finally meet you.

So happy we made that choice to come in from the East. We were in Temecula 35 minutes after we got off the train, it was a little bit of research that almost became a life saver.

I saw a lot of people getting medical attention everywhere I went around the stadium. It was, without a doubt hotter than the first Cal. Jam in the 70's...the US festival in the 80's or any sporting even t I have ever attended.

I had a great seat by the scoreboard in the endzone, and I saw numerous Hawk players having a very hard time, and I totally understand why we came up a little bit short. Make no mistake, this team is very good, and this was just a deal of wrong time, not wrong place.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ringless":2vjthk13 said:
Then I have a question...

Do you guys win because of the rain?
You'd have to be dumber than a 20 pound bag of goat shit to believe that the heat wasn't taxing the Seahawks more because of the wearing of dark colors...SD figured it out.
AND, if you don't think the heat affects players you're living in denial.
Signed, someone who has seen HEAT STROKE close up and personal.

Brahn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2lu33xtz said:
ringless":2lu33xtz said:
Then I have a question...

Do you guys win because of the rain?
+1

You win the thread.

But we do win a heck of a lot at home....and it does rain here.....

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So San Diego wears all whites because they thought the heat would affect both teams equally?

Here is how it works. If it is 94 air temp (which it was at the stadium), in the stadium the ambient temperature could easily be 10 to 15 degrees more. And the temperature a few inches from the ground could be way hotter than 118. Add humidty, and if there is no breeze, goddamm it will feel like stewing in your own juices. Of course Fox was trying to juice the thermometer having it in the sun by the ground. Still doesn't mean it wasn't close. Thank goodness it wasn't an artificial field. Where do you think they should have taken the temp, Roland, in the shade created when the flunkies held up big pieces of cardboard over the steaming Seattle defensive players in the rare occasions they were actuallyin the shade. I am still laughing at Roland suggesting it is devious to take the temps in the sun. Like the players get to be out of the sun. You can't take the temperature out in the sun, you know, where the players are! That is cheating!

Roland using Phoenix as a comp? Phoenix at 94 degrees is usually bone dry. I have seen it be over a 100 in Arizona, but with humidity less than 30 percent, sometimes less than 10%, it is totally different. I have been to Tempe for a night game in August when it was 100 degrees at kickoff, that was way more tolerable than some midwestern days I have seen at 88 degrees with 90 percent humidity, and still, I thought they were crazy to play the game in Tempe. I have worked outside in Phoenix at 110, and it is impossible to do more work at more than a snail pace.

Of course, the big question, did the heat affect Seattle more than San Diego? I think it is clear that it did, San Diego's D was still flying around at the end of the game and ours were sliding off the field like Salvador Dali clocks. Doesn't mean that bad execution wasn't the biggest factor. Which still doesn't mean that they would not have executed better in conditions they were used too.

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":z21g3y7y said:
Let me be clear, I'm not saying you can completely nullify it from a mental perspective. I never said that, nor am I implying it. I'm saying you can handle it a fair bit better with the aid of your mental capacity, properly leveraged. Being tough is a hell of a lot more than lifting weights in a gym. Regarding the adrenaline thing, though, it's your mental state that triggers it to be released. Just sayin'.

Sometimes I have to educate myself on what I already know. Reduced performance in extreme heat is physical...period. There is a distinct difference to preparing in heat in order to compete in the heat. And just to set the record straight, the temp where the Q is located is generally 8-12 degrees warmer than the summertime San Diego forecast. There are times when the difference between shorts and a tank top to a hoodie and jeans is about 5 miles eastbound on I-8.

http://www.irunfar.com/2010/04/heat-acc ... nners.html

How We Acclimate to Heat
If it is plasma that is the essential cooling component, is it possible to improve this problem by increasing our total plasma volume? Yes, and that is exactly what happens as we adapt to heat over time. Whether you acclimate naturally to higher temperatures over the course of a season, or in a heat chamber, the most significant change that occurs is an increase in plasma volume. Other things occur as well (such as changes in sweat sodium concentration, resting core temperature and heart rate), but plasma volume expansion is the key. After extensive acclimatization, plasma volume can have expanded by as much as 2 liters!

This may explain why the fittest athletes adapt to heat stress more quickly than the less fit. One of the by-products of endurance training (especially at high intensities) is an increase in plasma volume. So just by training hard, you can derive some amount of heat acclimation. What about specifically training in a hot environment to improve performance in a hot race? There is extensive evidence that it is possible to improve our performance in hot environments by training in similar conditions prior to competition. Several studies have demonstrated performance improvements in terms of maximum work rate, perceived exertion, time to failure at submaximal work rates, and time to complete a specific distance.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure the fact that we were visibly slower on D than usual, players were dealing with cramps, dehydration & getting IV's at halftime had nothing to do with the heat. I'm sure of it.

Largent80

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":8qf1108n said:
I'm sure the fact that we were visibly slower on D than usual, players were dealing with cramps, dehydration & getting IV's at halftime had nothing to do with the heat. I'm sure of it.

But, are you absolutely sure?

Uffda

Reaction score
Press did ask Pete in days before the game, what were the Hawks doing to prepare for the heat and he said " absolutely nothing"

120° heat isn't good football weather, they won't see that temperature in the rest of the season. Hell , won't see that in years again, hopefully.

Didn't play at their best, though were only down by 6 , so was within a td most of the game. Some stupid mistakes/penalties and bad 3rd down plays, kept the defense on the field too long. Offense wasn't on the field half of the minutes that SD was. Chargers did play great also, which doesn't help j/k .

What temperature was the Cardinals game the week before ?

Having no worries about next game or the season.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Largent80":ni4zpnkw said:
Zebulon Dak":ni4zpnkw said:

But, are you absolutely sure?

Sure as $#!t.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ok we have done enough here, actually probably overstepped some bounds and Roland being who he is didn't lose his head with it. You guys took your best attempts and he believes what he believes as well. It's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.