I'm telling you, heat was a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wthchristi

Reaction score
My daughter and niece went to the game yesterday as well. They flew in from Seattle. Both spend most of their time outdoors boating, rock climbing, bike riding, etc. Their Facebook update was that it was ridiculously hot and horribly humid. My niece became ill by the end of the game. They were wearing light clothes and were not on the field. They both said they could not imagine playing a game in the heat.

While watching the game you could see sweat pouring off our players and they seriously looked gassed and out of sorts. No excuses, simply the facts. Hopefully, next time we will be more prepared for the conditions in which we must play. That is the coaches and trainers responsibility. Credit also must be given to San Diego and Philip Rivers for playing a very strong game.

Myself- I have zero worry about losing this game. I believe it will be used as a motivator and expect to see a fiery team next week playing Denver. The sky is not falling...now San Francisco on the other hand- I would be worried if I was their fan.

Veilside

Reaction score
Yes both teams had to play in the same heat and I don't know one way or another whether one team was more prepared. What I do know is the factor of the heat was taken advantage of by the Chargers through a combination of precise execution and luck (Hawks tend to be the luckier team). The Hawks defense was on the field much longer and the Chargers took advantage of the negative effect the heat had on them.

It was a home field advantage that could have been used by the Hawks just as easily as the Chargers....it's just the Chargers made use of it exactly like they should have. If the Hawks could have won the time of possession battle then I could see the Chargers defense out there floundering in the heat instead. Nothing should be taken away from the Chargers win, they played a great game to beat the World Champs.

rastahawk

Reaction score
Can't believe this topic is screaming on for 3 pages. As a former athlete myself heat is a factor! Jesus. Your locality to that heat makes you better suited for it. As a former high school, college and club rugby player in the south pacific, when teams from New Zealand visit we had the heat advantage everytime. They drop like flies and have to be constantly rehydrated and rehydrated. They know its a factor in our favor and we know its a factor in our favor. There's NO secret.

Below is pic from my dashboard this afternoon when I drove out to get some lunch. I live 45 mins from Qualcomm. Let's get over this mid 80's crap. I think everyone who was at the game knows what mid 80's are. Don't make it sound like we're clueless about weather. Also the damned stadium ran out of water for goodness sake how many times do you think that happens. Probably never.

0152534922692182 3524914149391389780 n zps0606b636

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hey everybody, Rastahawk's car trumps the National Weather Service.

When are you starting your own mobile weather forecasting service in your spare time, Rasta? You clearly didn't read the USA Today link I posted about how to properly measure temperature. Where's your car's temperature sensor, and how do you know it's not in some part of the vehicle where the body of the car is absorbing a lot of heat and making the surrounding air much warmer than ambient? Hmmm?

I'll wait for your response. Chillax, grab a doob, might take you a while. I get it.

endzorn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":i46txacw said:
Stiletto":i46txacw said:
And yes I can use the air in Denver as a comparable. While it's not the same as heat, it’s a "condition" that affects the body and an element that one can become conditioned to over time if exposed to it.
No. You can't. The way it affects the human body is completely and utterly different, and there's a period of acclimation that you can't get over through sheer mental willpower for the thinner air. It's not AT ALL like playing in a higher temperature.
Honestly, this has nothing to do with football, are you suggesting that people can adjust to intense physical activity in heat through mental will power?

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2hkbplyr said:

When are you starting your own mobile weather forecasting service in your spare time, Rasta? You clearly didn't read the USA Today link I posted about how to properly measure temperature. Where's your car's temperature sensor, and how do you know it's not in some part of the vehicle where the body of the car is absorbing a lot of heat and making the surrounding air much warmer than ambient? Hmmm?

I'll wait for your response. Chillax, grab a doob, might take you a while. I get it.

Roland, you are so dumb sometimes. THIS is what we have been saying all day and you just don't want to listen because you are the most stubborn person ever and the biggest contrarian. WE DONT GIVE A DAMN WHAT SAN DIEGOS TEMPATURE WAS. The temp inside the stadium was way hotter then the already hot temp outside. Because it absorbed a ton of heat and radiated that around with the help of 70,000 people and a massive concrete structure. The air inside and around the stadium was far hotter then what the National Weather Service said.

You litterally just tried to call out him for the exact same reason we have been trying to call you out.

The
Exact
Same
Reason.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
endzorn":2r8gx0s2 said:
Honestly, this has nothing to do with football, are you suggesting that people can adjust to intense physical activity in heat through mental will power?
I'm saying a good part of how you handle it is mental, yes. Here, let me put it this way. Let's say you and your wife are driving along and you hit a deer, go off the road, and smash into a tree. Your wife's badly injured, your phones are broken, and no one is around. Do you think you could run a mile to the next house you find for help to call 9-1-1 faster in that situation, or if we were standing around as friends BS'ing about stuff and I bet you $20 you couldn't run to that house in X time that would be faster than you'd have run it in the hypothetical car crash scenario?

There's a point here. Think about what I've just asked. How you look at things mentally affects you not just mentally, but physically in many ways, too. It's something that wildly varies, but I think you understand what I mean.

Believe it or not, I KNOW this is true because I also utilize it myself. If I'm outside and it's abnormally cold or I'm not dressed properly for the weather and I get cold or start to shiver, I purposely think back to when I was in junior high back in rural Wisconsin, riding my bicycle to school in the winter in jeans and tennis shoes. I remember that kind of cold, and that literally helps me handle the present conditions better. I have stopped myself from shivering by remembering that a number of times.

Most people underestimate just how capable the mind is of affecting the body.

What do you think "acclimating" to extreme temperatures is, anyway? If you go cross-country skiing when it's -20 degrees outside for a day, all of a sudden, 15 degrees above zero doesn't seem so bad. You literally can handle 15 degrees above zero better for having gone through the -20 experience. It's not because your body developed some new shield on your skin, or anything. It's mental. Similar to how working a minimum wage job at McDonald's must seem like a fantastic life to someone who has spent their life before then starving in a village in Africa without electricity. Everything is relative.

rastahawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1dg9c6zz said:

Its funny because you know nothing about California weather but chose to argue about it which seems to be your MO on this site. Does your National Weather Service offer weather in a "specific" geographical point at a specific point in time or are they just more or less generalizations. Go on be the astute reader and chose the correct answer there. San Diego consists of beach cities and inland cities. But everyone including the weather service thinks of San Diego the beach city. I live 45 mins from the beach and I am a die hard surfer. Its not unusual for me to leave from my house and get to the beach and its 30 degrees cooler. This is a fact for all California residents. Why do you think real estate is more expensive in the beach cities. Above all stop insulting our intelligence we all know what mid eighties temperatures are. Qualcomm was not mid eighties mmmkay.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Roland is half-right here.. the heat wasn't 100% the reason they lost.. but he's not factoring in the heat nearly enough.

I'd say it was 65% heat, 35% Chargers executing a game-plan flawlessly. They wanted to nickel and dime us up and down the field because they knew eventually the defense would burn out.. and they did.

Didn't help that the offense scored quick and Harvin fumbled a KO either, which just burned out the defense that much quicker.

But AGAIN. DESPITE THE 450 DEGREE STOVE WE PLAYED IN... it was a SIX point game with 4 minutes left, and the Seahawks offense had a chance to win. So blaming the heat 100% for this loss isn't entirely true.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Cartire":kzx8vblu said:
Roland, you are so dumb sometimes.
Easy with the personal attacks, this is the main forum, not the smack shack.

Cartire":kzx8vblu said:
You litterally just tried to call out him for the exact same reason we have been trying to call you out.

The
Exact
Same
Reason.

You think an enclosed space comprised of a few square inches or a few square feet is the same as an open-air stadium with 70,000 people in it? Lol. I literally don't even have the words to respond to this one. You go right on ahead thinking they're exactly equally comparable, though. I understand why you think it, but it's a horrifically flawed "correlation".

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":xflz1zwe said:
endzorn":xflz1zwe said:
I'm saying a good part of how you handle it is mental, yes. Here, let me put it this way. Let's say you and your wife are driving along and you hit a deer, go off the road, and smash into a tree. Your wife's badly injured, your phones are broken, and no one is around. Do you think you could run a mile to the next house you find for help to call 9-1-1 faster in that situation, or if we were standing around as friends BS'ing about stuff and I bet you $20 you couldn't run to that house in X time that would be faster than you'd have run it in the hypothetical car crash scenario?

There's a point here. Think about what I've just asked. How you look at things mentally affects you not just mentally, but physically in many ways, too. It's something that wildly varies, but I think you understand what I mean.

Believe it or not, I KNOW this is true because I also utilize it myself. If I'm outside and it's abnormally cold or I'm not dressed properly for the weather and I get cold or start to shiver, I purposely think back to when I was in junior high back in rural Wisconsin, riding my bicycle to school in the winter in jeans and tennis shoes. I remember that kind of cold, and that literally helps me handle the present conditions better. I have stopped myself from shivering by remembering that a number of times.

What do you think "acclimating" to extreme temperatures is, anyway? If you go cross-country skiing when it's -20 degrees outside for a day, all of a sudden, 15 degrees above zero doesn't seem so bad. You literally can handle 15 degrees above zero better for having gone through the -20 experience. It's not because your body developed some new shield on your skin, or anything. It's mental. Similar to how working a minimum wage job at McDonald's must seem like a fantastic life to someone who has spent their life before then starving in a village in Africa without electricity. Everything is relative.

Now you're confusing relativity with physical effects.

My god Roland. I'm done with you. You have a problem and it's so bad I don't think you can see it. I won't be replying to your inevitable reply. I already know what it's going to say. And it's laughable. Just know as you're typing it, I'm already laughing at you.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
rastahawk":zbzd1ujr said:
Its funny because you know nothing about California weather but chose to argue about it which seems to be your MO on this site. Does your National Weather Service offer weather in a "specific" geographical point at a specific point in time or are they just more or less generalizations. Go on be the astute reader and chose the correct answer there. San Diego consists of beach cities and inland cities. But everyone including the weather service thinks of San Diego the beach city. I live 45 mins from the beach and I am a die hard surfer. Its not unusual for me to leave from my house and get to the beach and its 30 degrees cooler. This is a fact for all California residents. Why do you think real estate is more expensive in the beach cities. Above all stop insulting our intelligence we all know what mid eighties temperatures are. Qualcomm was not mid eighties mmmkay.
I looked up the Chula Vista weather station location that I posted the Chula Vista weather link for. Did you?

This is really hysterical. Again, if it was 100 degrees ambient temperature on the field, that Fox thermometer would have been quite a bit higher than it was. You didn't look at that pic of the dude standing in Greenland with a thermometer showing 80 degrees when it was really below freezing JUST because the thermometer was in direct sunshine, did you? It's really not difficult to wrap your head around. Also, a breeze doesn't affect real temperature, it affects the perception of temperature for people. Something to think about. (Unless the wind is a cold front moving in, or something, then to a limited extent it does; but we're not talking about that.)

Also, what makes you think I've never spent any time in San Diego or Los Angeles?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Cartire":30qs1grr said:
Now you're confusing relativity with physical effects.

My god Roland. I'm done with you. You have a problem and it's so bad I don't think you can see it. I won't be replying to your inevitable reply. I already know what it's going to say. And it's laughable. Just know as you're typing it, I'm already laughing at you.
Laugh all you want. The very fact that the FDA requires double-blind testing with placebos in medical trials is proof of what I said, in general terms.

endzorn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":cjzoh2vi said:
endzorn":cjzoh2vi said:

Your car wreck example has absolutely nothing to do with how a body handles weather. That is an adrenaline response. An actual physical reaction by your body in response to a panic situation.

I would be curious to hear what any doctor had to say about your mental response theory. In the army we took dozens of classes over the years on how to best prepare for physical activity in extreme heat. At my current job OSHA even requires classes about preparing for how heat affects the body while working. It is NOT a choice. Im from North Dakota and I promise you I have walked to school in and played in winter weather as cold or colder than anything you've ever experienced.

Hard physical activity in heat is different. I've seen some of the most well conditioned, tabbed out soldiers keel over in 100 degree weather. You must be the one person on earth who could do world class physical activity in intense heat and not be affected.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Let me be clear, I'm not saying you can completely nullify it from a mental perspective. I never said that, nor am I implying it. I'm saying you can handle it a fair bit better with the aid of your mental capacity, properly leveraged. Being tough is a hell of a lot more than lifting weights in a gym. Regarding the adrenaline thing, though, it's your mental state that triggers it to be released. Just sayin'.

rastahawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3mcwwd8r said:
rastahawk":3mcwwd8r said:
I looked up the Chula Vista weather station location that I posted the Chula Vista weather link for. Did you?

This is really hysterical. Again, if it was 100 degrees ambient temperature on the field, that Fox thermometer would have been quite a bit higher than it was. You didn't look at that pic of the dude standing in Greenland with a thermometer showing 80 degrees when it was really below freezing JUST because the thermometer was in direct sunshine, did you? It's really not difficult to wrap your head around. Also, a breeze doesn't affect real temperature, it affects the perception of temperature for people. Something to think about. (Unless the wind is a cold front moving in, or something, then to a limited extent it does; but we're not talking about that.)

Also, what makes you think I've never spent any time in San Diego or Los Angeles?

You know and I know we can argue the technicalities of temperature taking all day. Stop trying to beat the drum on proper temperature taking because fact is, nobody at that field followed these protocols and the weather data you reference is not a product of those procedures at that particular place i.e. mid 80's. You're also making a lot of assumptions. Do you keep statistics for the Fox thermometer since you've so boldly assumed that if the ambient temperature is 100 the reading would exceeded what it showed on TV? You have no idea on the accuracy of it. Really that's your argument and then an internet graphic of a guy holding a thermometer in Greenland bwahahahaha... I've seen meme's more believable.

endzorn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":324hsaeb said:
Let me be clear, I'm not saying you can completely nullify it from a mental perspective. I never said that, nor am I implying it. I'm saying you can handle it a fair bit better with the aid of your mental capacity, properly leveraged. Being tough is a hell of a lot more than lifting weights in a gym. Regarding the adrenaline thing, though, it's your mental state that triggers it to be released. Just sayin'.
If people could just trigger adrenaline responses on command like you described then Olympic athletes would be running 3 minute miles. We don't need to invent new rules of physiology to win an argument. And I'm flat out telling you that being tough doesn't mean you can fight through oppressive heat if you aren't prepared. Some of the toughest soldiers I ever worked with had heat injuries. Mental toughness has NOTHING to do with hard physical activity. If you're standing around in heat then I can see what you're saying but that's not what we're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.