I'm With Huard.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it seems we have a generational pick in a draft without much generational defensive talent.
It does really appear to be that issue.

From what I am seeing, it appears there are 4 top end QB’s that teams are rating extremely high.

1 DT that could have elite talent, but has motivation and off the field issues.

1 DE/OLB that is a huge character plus, had a big 2021 season and looked like he was on the verge of being elite, but dropped off a bit in 2022 Raising questions about whether or not he has elite skills. His lack of testing at the combine or pro-day isn’t helping answer any of the questions.

I wish there was a can’t miss, Elite DLine talent available In the top 5 or even top 10. It’s odd how few top 10 DT picks there actually are looking back at past drafts.
IMO, there is good DLine depth in this draft and there will be guys picked in the 2nd and 3rd round that we will later be saying, how in the heck did that guy last that long.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Fwiw I'm in the Anderson/Carter camp. While also aggressively seeking out trade partners.

If Anderson is gone & you determine that Carter isn't a fit from a character & culture perspective. Then I'm doing everything I can to collect more assets. It's really that simple.

Richardson makes me a little uneasy.
If we're on the clock at #5 and Richardson is there, I bet we could get a ransom for trading that pick.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
If we're on the clock at #5 and Richardson is there, I bet we could get a ransom for trading that pick.
Why do we need a ransom? We already have an extra 1st, 2nd and 5th. I see a lot of people talking about trading back, but we are already loaded up on picks. Pete is only going to want so many rookies on the team. If AR is there, I'd take him.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Why do we need a ransom? We already have an extra 1st, 2nd and 5th. I see a lot of people talking about trading back, but we are already loaded up on picks. Pete is only going to want so many rookies on the team. If AR is there, I'd take him.
Such a ransom would include next year's 1st round pick. That would stack our odds of being able to get a top QB next year if we need to.

CactusJack

Reaction score
The reason he's even considered a potential top 5 pick is mainly due to his combine performance. You have Albert Breer, now reporting that some teams don't even view him as a 1st rounder.

His play was very inconsistent. He really struggled against good teams. When you also consider the success rate of QB's with just one year as a starter, it's very alarming. Trey Lance started more games than AR.

If you can grab a defensive game wrecker like Will Anderson or even Jalen Carter, then I would stay put. But otherwise, you're almost better off trying to squeeze as much value as you can out of it.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tony Pauline also reported that we we're in on Trevor Penning & Desmond Ridder. The guy doesn't seem to have legit sources. Just speculation.

They don't have sources, why on earth would anyone with any juice inside an organization reveal any prospect news to a media member or reporter.

These "experts" look at teams that need QB's, then act like it's breaking news that those teams may be interested in drafting a QB.

It's literally that simple.

Ozzy

Reaction score
And at this point we can’t pay our current draft picks let alone adding a couple high end picks to the mix without some massive restructuring or cutting of players. All of this adds up to me not having a clue what they do. The only thing I do know is that assuming they won’t draft a QB because a 32 year old had a magical half a season and an ever age second half of the season in year ten is naive. Doesn’t mean they do but they would if they saw an elite guy there

Ozzy

Reaction score
The reason he's even considered a potential top 5 pick is mainly due to his combine performance. You have Albert Breer, now reporting that some teams don't even view him as a 1st rounder.

His play was very inconsistent. He really struggled against good teams. When you also consider the success rate of QB's with just one year as a starter, it's very alarming. Trey Lance started more games than AR.

If you can grab a defensive game wrecker like Will Anderson or even Jalen Carter, then I would stay put. But otherwise, you're almost better off trying to squeeze as much value as you can out of it.
Multiple teams didn’t rate Josh Allen or Pat mahomes high either. I’d also argue some scouts have had Richardson high for a while. Emory Hunt has had AR #1 all year at the position and he’s a well respected scout.

Are we sure the guy with 6 career sacks in college and work ethic issues is a fake wrecker? People talk about this debate as if defensive players can’t bust yet they do at almost the same rate QB’s do

CactusJack

Reaction score
Multiple teams didn’t rate Josh Allen or Pat mahomes high either. I’d also argue some scouts have had Richardson high for a while. Emory Hunt has had AR #1 all year at the position and he’s a well respected scout.

Are we sure the guy with 6 career sacks in college and work ethic issues is a fake wrecker? People talk about this debate as if defensive players can’t bust yet they do at almost the same rate QB’s do
There's no question that there are indeed red flags with Carter. But the guy is absolutely a stud on the field. It's why so many people have him rated as the #1 player in this draft. Despite all the recent red flags.

Last edited:

Frozenropers

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread. Sometimes stats can be misleading.

There's no question that there are indeed red flags with Carter. But the guy is absolutely a stud on the field. It's why so many people have him rated as the #1 player in this draft. Despite all the recent red flags.

True, he’s a game wrecker when he isn’t gassed from being out of shape. 😁

If only that dude had some dedication and desire to be great. How bad is it the guy couldn’t finish his position drills during his pro-day? I sooooooo bad want the Hawks to get a stud to anchor that defensive Line, but not a guy that doesn’t care enough to be in shape to play. That’s just me though.

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
True, he’s a game wrecker when he isn’t gassed from being out of shape. 😁

If only that dude had some dedication and desire to be great. How bad is it the guy couldn’t finish his position drills during his pro-day? I sooooooo bad want the Hawks to get a stud to anchor that defensive Line, but not a guy that doesn’t care enough to be in shape to play. That’s just me though.
That's fair.

But the counter argument would be that you're not gonna find another guy like him, who can impact the game in that fashion. Tyree Wilson is probably the next best guy. He's also a different type of player. Not someone who you necessarily want to play primarily inside. Because you won't get him to replicate the same type of production.

Last edited:

Frozenropers

Reaction score
That's fair.

But the counter argument would be that you're not gonna find another guy like him, who can impact the game in that fashion. Tyree Wilson is probably the next best guy. He's also a different type of player. Not someone who you necessarily want to play primarily inside. Because you won't get him to replicate the same type of production.

In an ideal world, Will Anderson will still be available when we're picking.
In an ideal world, they’d put Will Anderson’s mind and heart inside Carter’s body …and he’d somehow make it to the 5th pick. 😁😁😁

Ozzy

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread. Sometimes stats can be misleading.

For months, the debate was Jalen Carter vs. Will Anderson. You can make a case for both. I'd argue that Carter's film was more impressive this past season.

Fwiw, Carter was my #1 player prior to the combine & his Pro Day. Anderson has since leapfrogged him in my rankings. But I would still strongly consider Carter. Assuming Anderson is taken. Because of his talent & the type of impact he could have on our defense.

Thanks for sharing this. He absolutely flashes and at times looks like an All Pro but his lack of production still bothers me a little fair or unfair. I looked at other elite interior guys and he is definitely an outlier in that regard. Most guys have triple the sacks he does. Now I havent watched enough film to say why that's the case. Maybe on a per snap basis he's just as efficient as those guys and my hesitation is unwarranted. Although if its because he can't stay in shape to get more snaps then it's still a problem.

I do feel for Seattle though because he's a wild card. He could be the perfect combo of fit and best player and its rare you can draft both. Staton claims that people know much more about the situation that hasn't been made public that makes him off many teams boards and a zero chance of being drafted at 5. But who knows right? I assume John will do his homework and if he feels comfortable drafting him at 5 I'll be good with it. I would LOVE an interior game wrecker because we haven't had one for so long.

Last edited:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Seattle cannot afford to “blow” this pick, if they are staying at pick 5.

Too many first picks for Seattle in the past how many or so drafts just did not work out that if we have a chance now to secure a high pick, it has to be a player that will be highly productive.

Nothing is guaranteed of course, but you can control some aspects of a player you want.

First and foremost, is football important to them? And then how much so?

You gotta cover the basis, are they in shape? Are they productive in college? Does their physical measurements match the tape? Are they distracted? Do they come from a good family? Will they fit into the intended Seattle scheme? Are they expected to be a four downs full-time player? And such and such.

Carter, fulfills like 75 percent of those traits. Unfortunately, you want a candidate at the 5th overall, to fulfill at least 95 percent of those traits.

I would take Carter like Round 2 but when it’s the 5th overall, you cannot afford to second guess a selection cause that player can be a franchise changing player for the better of team or set the franchise back 10 years.

You try to make the safest pick possible. Unfortunately, that’s not an easy thing to do. And that’s the challenge.

Last edited:

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
You pile up picks so you can move up when needed to get a player. Just because we generate more picks doesn’t mean we’re going to pick a player.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Why is the time now? We're not getting one of the 2 top QB's? So why force the issue when you have Geno for 3 yrs? Next years QB class is far superior to this class
That was the same scuttlebutt in last year's Draft.
I agree that they are not really interested in actually taking one @ 5, MAYBE Hooker if he's still there at #20 or in the 2nd round (which is doubtful).
Whatever the case, I don't see a Newbie Rook QB beating out Geno this year.
If John can't find a trade team for the #5 spot, I believe he will be taking a top tier D-Lineman @#5.