imho, for Lynch it's about loyalty

Tokadub

Reaction score
I kinda agree there could be a lot more to this situation than just the money. But frankly, we have no idea what's going on. It seems that nobody does at least not publicly.

I've personally been in situations where I feel that I'm the best man for the job/game and it's extremely frustrating and disappointing to not get paid what you think your worth (much bigger issue when you're not making millions) and even worst to have some other people taking your spot when you know you're way better.

So it's probably a combination of money + other guys taking his job and getting more carries that is the problem here. I think the money might not even be an issue if it wasn't for him feeling disrespected and dispensable with other guys he considers "amateur" taking over for something he considers himself to be far superior at.

So I think the OP is right that this probably does involve some kind of loyalty in that Marshawn thinks the team is betraying him by prioritizing his replacements.

It sounds kind of selfish of Lynch for not being ready to pass the torch to Christine Michael, but if he feels at the prime of his career with a long track record of amazing RB play... well then I can totally understand how he would have a BIG problem with this situation.

So my guess is that it's not really about the money, but Marshawn is frustrated and him trying to get paid more is the only way he can live with this "unfair" or "stupid" situation. Kinda like him thinking "OK well you think I'm worthless now, OK well then I'm not gonna play unless you overpay me see how you like that haha. I know you guys really do need me so stop acting like you don't".

Then again it could be ALL about money or NOT ABOUT MONEY AT ALL. We really can only guess at this point.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2wmvpus4 said:
To me, it is kind of shocking to see this kind of mentality toward Lynch from this fanbase. Kind of sad, too.

I'm not going to offer an opinion on whether he should be paid more. But to outright dismiss everything he's done for the franchise ("over him") and to say he's left a sour taste in your mouth? Wow, okay.

To be fair, you're talking about a fan who by his own proud admission wears a custom #69 Seahawks Jersey with the name Dick Gozinya on it. We love Largent80, but he's about as close to your typical fan as Borat is to being your typical Kazakhstani.

bellingerga

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ln3ypyz said:
If it isn't about money, how come money will fix the problem?

Nailed it.

There's really nothing else anyone can say on the matter that would make any more sense than this, period. I think people are looking way too much into it. It's just about money.

xCalibur

Reaction score
The Beast is a stud...i love him and want him here. But the man made over $17 mil the last two years...that is a huge amount of money that was front loaded....he got his oney and now wants more, even if that causes us to lose Wilson...The FO has to consider the other contracts coming due, Wagner, Wilson and so on. The beast needs to stop being selfish and get his arse to work. He got paid...He is still the top 5 paid RB's in the league. It amazes me how little some of you know abouot the business side of football. We cannot afford to pay everyone a huge salary. Make a choice, resign Wilson or give in to Lynch?....I choose Wilson

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Tical21":2lp374mx said:
Next man up only goes so far. This guy is the heart and soul of the team. We are not the most baddest team in the league without The Beast. He sees everybody out there getting these big contracts, and he just wants the recognition for being the focal point of the offense. Let's face it. Without the defense putting 8 or 9 guys in the box to stop him, a lot of the passing game becomes a lot more difficult. When a guy gives as much of himself to a team as he has, you take care of him. You take care of him or you risk alienating everybody else. There isn't a guy there that deserves it more than he does. He isn't asking for much either. Just throw a mil or two on next year's pie and call it good.

Like they "took care" of Thomas to avoid alienating the team and because no one deserved it more than him?

Like they "took care" of Sherm to avoid alienating the team and because no one deserved it more than him?

Like they took care of Bennett?

Like they will be taking care of Wilson in the near future for the same reasons above?

Look, I appreciate ML as much as the next guy, but they DID TAKE CARE OF HIM.

At some point, enough is enough.

mrt144

Reaction score
Largent80":2g4di4ku said:
Next man up. I'm over Lynch. Thanks bud for the sour taste in the mouth and I'm not even a hooker.

You'll grow out of this phase one day. I hope.

mikeak

Reaction score
bellingerga":25m198io said:
Scottemojo":25m198io said:

Nailed it.

There's really nothing else anyone can say on the matter that would make any more sense than this, period. I think people are looking way too much into it. It's just about money.

It is about playing and getting paid for the FULL four years he got signed. It is not about more money it is moving money to this year so he plays for four years. Can you really blame him for wanting the Seahawks to keep him for two more years after being a key player in bringing a Super Bowl to Seattle.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Lynch broke 1000 yards in each of his first 2 seasons in Buffalo (despite missing 3 games in 2007 and 1 game in 2008 due to ankle and shoulder injuries). It was an excellent start to his career, although he did have his driver's license suspended after a strange hit and run incident.

In 2009 he got busted on weapons charges in CA and was suspended for the first 3 games of the season. Fred Jackson replaced him as the starter in late November, and Marshawn finished the season with only 450 yards and 2 TDs on 120 carries.

In 2010, the Bills drafted CJ Spiller and put him in the running rotation with Jackson. Lynch dropped down the depth chart, though this was likely due in part to an ankle injury he suffered in the first preseason game. Lynch was quoted as saying he felt unwelcome in Buffalo. He got traded to Seattle in October, and you know the rest.

The point of this history lesson is to show that Marshawn and Buffalo had grown tired of each other, and his career there was starting to flounder. Pete changed all that by pushing (repeatedly, according to John Schneider) to acquire Marshawn in a trade. 'Shawn had the beast mode run in the playoffs at the end of that season and helped Seattle establish the identity Pete wanted on offense. He then had the best year of his career in 2013, aided in part by the read option, which left defenses unsure of whether they needed to cover Lynch or Wilson. He was then awarded a new 4-year deal that made him one of the highest paid RBs in the NFL, a league in which RBs are gradually becoming devalued.

Basically, Marshawn needed Pete just as much as Pete needed Marshawn. Had he not come to Seattle, there's no telling what would have happened to his career. He was getting the reputation of being a troublesome oddball. If--and we have no way of knowing--he thinks he isn't respected enough by the Hawks, he needs to rethink that. The respect that Pete had and still has for him is a large part of why Marshawn has had such a great 3 years, and that contract he got 2 years ago.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":2fzv3ly9 said:
Next man up only goes so far. This guy is the heart and soul of the team. We are not the most baddest team in the league without The Beast. He sees everybody out there getting these big contracts, and he just wants the recognition for being the focal point of the offense. Let's face it. Without the defense putting 8 or 9 guys in the box to stop him, a lot of the passing game becomes a lot more difficult. When a guy gives as much of himself to a team as he has, you take care of him. You take care of him or you risk alienating everybody else. There isn't a guy there that deserves it more than he does. He isn't asking for much either. Just throw a mil or two on next year's pie and call it good.
Nope, Marshawn has already said that "It Ain't About The Money".
I believe that IF the Seahawks do go with RB by committee, Marshawn wouldn't be happy with sharing, but in all honesty, the Defenses would be shitting bricks with game-planning against it.
If Marshawn isn't after more money, he should be in camp, and prove that he's still capable of playing at the same level, and with the same intensity as last Season.
If he can still Beastmode throughout this Season, I think it would go a long ways to showing JS that he deserves an extension.
The "Loyalty" gig is a two way street.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Donn2390":1l7sto64 said:
It's kind of shocking to see his attitude towards the fan base. He got his payday, now he is just being a belligerent jerk who wants to be begged.
He is just one tool in the toolbox. If he wants to remain a petulant child, then it's time to move on. He is a disruption to the team.
Seriously?

He's not a disruption, not a jerk, he's not petulant, and he's not belligerent. To be honest, your post fits the description more than Marshawn does.

Dez Bryant in his sideline rant fits the description. T.O. fit the description. Marshawn, not so much. He's not complaining in the media, he isn't getting in anyone's face, he's just absent. I'm sure any communication he has with any of the players is not petulant or belligerent in any way. Communication between his agent and JS might be a little pointed, but that isn't distracting anyone on the field.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3sekh0ut said:
Donn2390":3sekh0ut said:
It's kind of shocking to see his attitude towards the fan base. He got his payday, now he is just being a belligerent jerk who wants to be begged.
He is just one tool in the toolbox. If he wants to remain a petulant child, then it's time to move on. He is a disruption to the team.
Seriously?

He's not a disruption, not a jerk, he's not petulant, and he's not belligerent. To be honest, your post fits the description more than Marshawn does.

Dez Bryant in his sideline rant fits the description. T.O. fit the description. Marshawn, not so much. He's not complaining in the media, he isn't getting in anyone's face, he's just absent. I'm sure any communication he has with any of the players is not petulant or belligerent in any way. Communication between his agent and JS might be a little pointed, but that isn't distracting anyone on the field.
I agree with most of your post but Dez Bryant's "sideline rant" doesn't fit. He was trying to encourage his team as an uber competitive player. The audio proves that. But let's believe everything ESPN says

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":19l3ickg said:
DavidSeven":19l3ickg said:
To me, it is kind of shocking to see this kind of mentality toward Lynch from this fanbase. Kind of sad, too.

I'm not going to offer an opinion on whether he should be paid more. But to outright dismiss everything he's done for the franchise ("over him") and to say he's left a sour taste in your mouth? Wow, okay.

To be fair, you're talking about a fan who by his own proud admission wears a custom #69 Seahawks Jersey with the name Dick Gozinya on it. We love Largent80, but he's about as close to your typical fan as Borat is to being your typical Kazakhstani.
[emoji6]

Scottemojo

Reaction score
mikeak":2rsc0yr9 said:
bellingerga":2rsc0yr9 said:
Scottemojo":2rsc0yr9 said:

Nailed it.

It is about playing and getting paid for the FULL four years he got signed. It is not about more money it is moving money to this year so he plays for four years. Can you really blame him for wanting the Seahawks to keep him for two more years after being a key player in bringing a Super Bowl to Seattle.
4 years=more money. Moving money from next year to this year=more chance of keeping Lynch next year=more money. Move money from next year to this year, still cut Lynch next year=more money this year.

Notice a theme?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
In today's world "loyalty" just means money. If this is what Lynch means then the FO is already showing it. If it's something else then his agent needs to clarify. If all of this is because he isn't on a game ticket then announce a Beast Mode bobble head day and get him into camp.

Riley12

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2j0qbmy8 said:
Look, I appreciate ML as much as the next guy, but they DID TAKE CARE OF HIM.

At some point, enough is enough.

I guess that sums up my opinion on the matter. From my perspective, which is very far removed from all of this contract and money stuff, the situation feels like a classic bait-and-switch - "Oh, you were willing to pay me $xx, so maybe now you'll be willing to pay $yy for me to keep our agreed upon deal."

Loyalty, in my book, is keeping your head down and being a man of your word.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's not about "loyalty".......or "respect"........or any of the other buzz words players use to not say the word it's really about, "money."

Holy moly it'd be refreshing just one time for a player to say "you know, it's all about the money. I want more of it."

And who would say anything? We all know what it's about, just say it. It's cool, no one begrudges a player for trying to wring out as much skrilla from his team when his playing career is so short.

45Hawker

Reaction score
mikek wrote:

I think this is Marshawn's concern as well. You could say it's about "more money", but I think the hold out is more accurately labeled as "security" for Marshawn. As in, securing the $7.5m for next season.

He's under contract for 2 more seasons. As most here have pointed out, it's not guaranteed that the Hawks will honor the final year of his contract (29 year old RB with a $7.5m salary, a young C Michael, a better O-line, experienced QB, etc…). He has very little leverage right now, but at the end of this season he has ZERO.

The only way I can see for him to increase his leverage is to report and have the greatest season of his career - make it hard for the Hawks to cut him, and make other teams drool to get him. But even then, I can see that he might not feel he'll get a fair shot to do that ("running back by committee").

I hope the Hawks do something to get him in camp, happy and motivated. IMO, without Marshawn last season, we don't even make the playoffs...

A

Anonymous

pmedic920":y2gap9cv said:
So many Lynch threads.
I haven't heard one person say that they don't like #24.
I think we all love him in the way fans love players.
I also think that most of us want him on the team.
I personally would love to see him in Hawk colors until he retires.
That being said.
I don't want him here at the cost of jacking up the "cap plan"
He deserves all he can get, sure.
This thread is about loyalty, loyalty is or should be a two way street.
If the team can make him happy without putting the team at risk, they should do it. If they can't they should in good faith, explain to ML why they can't.
I'm not convinced that The Beast would have flourished in many other camps. I also think that the debt is mutual. Seems to me that the Seahawks and ML owe each other equally.
If the time has come that ML must move on, I am sad.
I am also a Seahawk fan regardless of who makes the final 53.
As much as I hate to say it, if that 53 does not include the "Beast" , next man up.

"Stache Poem" ?

pmedic920

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2dy182vu said:
pmedic920":2dy182vu said:
So many Lynch threads.
I haven't heard one person say that they don't like #24.
I think we all love him in the way fans love players.
I also think that most of us want him on the team.
I personally would love to see him in Hawk colors until he retires.
That being said.
I don't want him here at the cost of jacking up the "cap plan"
He deserves all he can get, sure.
This thread is about loyalty, loyalty is or should be a two way street.
If the team can make him happy without putting the team at risk, they should do it. If they can't they should in good faith, explain to ML why they can't.
I'm not convinced that The Beast would have flourished in many other camps. I also think that the debt is mutual. Seems to me that the Seahawks and ML owe each other equally.
If the time has come that ML must move on, I am sad.
I am also a Seahawk fan regardless of who makes the final 53.
As much as I hate to say it, if that 53 does not include the "Beast" , next man up.

"Stache Poem" ?

Rite, sorry for all the spaces. :{)

Largent80

Reaction score
Well Kearly, you forgot that my jersey is lime green and was done in jest @ the Mora led Seahawks that year. Am I a typical fan?...Maybe, but what does that make everyone else here, some sort of mega superfan?

It is my opinion that Lynch should be with the team. If he wants to negotiate more money then let his agent do the talking with J.S. who himself said "next man up" on the ESPN special aired Tuesday, so maybe I am a normal fan after all, but at least I am thinking like our GM.