In Schneider We Trust

hawknation2014

Reaction score
sammyc521":2l6pf22b said:
Harperville":2l6pf22b said:
Not saying I disagree, just funny that wasn't too long ago that everyone was saying "In Tim We Trust" and that Ruskell was the best GM ever..
I agree.

"In ____ we trust" is the kiss of death. This was often the retort when people would question the moves the FO would make.

In the case of John & Pete... we suck in the 4th round.

Cause K.J. Wright has sucked? Pete didn't have a Fourth Rounder in 2011 or 2013.

Gotta say Kam Chancellor and Richard Sherman were pretty good Fifth Rounders. Maybe the best ever.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3frizrc3 said:
sammyc521":3frizrc3 said:
Cause K.J. Wright has sucked? Pete didn't have a Fourth Rounder in 2011 or 2013.

Gotta say Kam Chancellor and Richard Sherman were pretty good Fifth Rounders. Maybe the best ever.
I think there was a little bit of tongue caught between the teeth there...

hawknation2014

Reaction score
BlueTalon":q9asx4x6 said:
hawknation2014":q9asx4x6 said:
sammyc521":q9asx4x6 said:

I think there was a little bit of tongue caught between the teeth there...

It never made it to the cheek.

Luke Wilson, Byron Maxwell, Jeremy Lane aren't bad Fifth Rounders either.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
drdiags":3smyx6x0 said:
Nope. Not going down this road again. Ruskell had the same song being sung after coming in to put the finishing touches on the 2005 Seahawks. I feel your enthusiasm but let's see if he is still here a decade from now and able to bring in another coach once Pete decides to go be the President of the new LA NFL team.

I'm not ready to enshrine Schneider; however, I will say with a degree of confidence that he's one of the better GM's we've had. I'm not sure equating his performance to Ruskell's is applicable or even fair. We weren't a bad team in 2004 by any means. Ruskell added some pieces that got us over the top and to the Super Bowl, but the team barely treaded water over the next 2 seasons in a weak division. Then we dropped into a dismal state in 2008/9. Under Schneider, the team steadily improved from ground zero to Super Bowl contenders. Further, our first Super Bowl victory came under him, so some credit is due, IMO. Additionally, we have never possessed this kind of depth in team history. Certainly you can't deny that Schneider played a central role in that?

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I don't think anyone here can reasonably compare Ruskell to Schneider. That should be obvious, what the good Dr is saying is be careful if throwing out terms that give him a total free pass.

Yes, hitting on guys in the 5th and 6th round is beyond awesome... He and Pete are not above criticism.

Yes, we came off an incredible Superbowl win but that does not mean we can criticize. Saying "In ___ we trust" is akin to sheep-talk.

sc85sis

Reaction score
BlueBlood":3ojq5buo said:
Everything we do has Pete's touch on it... He's a better coach by a mile than we've ever had and would've put his touch into a Ruskell led team as well. Not sure we'd be this good with him but we'll never know.

Can we start the season already?????
Pete would never have worked with a guy like Ruskell because their approaches wouldn't mesh.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
As is usually the case, I agree with the Doc on this one. No in so and so we trust stuff for me. However, I do believe there's a chance we have a team of the decade here, one that could be talked about in the same vein as the 00's Pats, etc. The core is young and the absolutely necessary franchise QB is in place. Managing the salary cap and whether John and Pete can continue to draft at a high level will determine whether our team gets to 'team of the 2010 decade' status or not. I'm probably not as cautious in my outlook as James is, but I'm still a "we'll see' type of fan. 38 years of rooting for this franchise with every fiber of your being will do that.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I think when we consider JS as GM we must also consider PC's influence. They can not be separated in the player evaluation and acquisition department. So in actuality the OP question should have been " JS/PC are the best GMs in the league". Together they make a fantastic duo. While we can't say they are the best, yet, I can say there are none better.

There is absolutely no comparison between Ruskill and JS/PC. Do you think they would have actually let Hutch get to the market?

CEHawk

Reaction score
I have to agree with the praise for John Schneider. I am quite sure that a roster turnover as complete as this has never been as successful in NFL history. And since it is John Schneider and Pete Carroll that have accomplished this, John Schneider is definitely on his way to being one of the best GM's in football history. The topic is about John Schneider being recognized as one of the top GM's in the league, John Schneider is definitely in the conversation. To say that he never could have accomplished this without Pete Carroll can be said about every other great GM in NFL history let alone in the league today. All GM's are part of a coaching, ownership and front office team.

JS and PC's picks are amazing and consistent over three years, including 4th round picks. 4th rounder's include KJ Wright, Walter Thurmond and Robert Turbin. I am not a Turbin fan per say but he did beat out Michael last year for some unknown reason.

It is highly doubtful that John Schneider will go anywhere but up in the ranks of the Seahawks and the NFL. Tim Ruskill on the other hand is currently a college scout for the Tennessee Titans.....

I think shooting off guns in celebration is quite fitting!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
v1rotv2":2izz2juh said:
I think when we consider JS as GM we must also consider PC's influence. They can not be separated in the player evaluation and acquisition department. So in actuality the OP question should have been " JS/PC are the best GMs in the league". Together they make a fantastic duo. While we can't say they are the best, yet, I can say there are none better.

There is absolutely no comparison between Ruskill and JS/PC. Do you think they would have actually let Hutch get to the market?

I would probably go one better than that if I may extend the term. JS/PC are the best GM TEAM in the league. Always compete. Team ethic. What is better for the team....and what you have to do to make the team work better. Bring in T.O. for a little competition and then cut him. Always compete. Teamwork.

drdiags

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1zr1nxb9 said:
drdiags":1zr1nxb9 said:
Nope. Not going down this road again. Ruskell had the same song being sung after coming in to put the finishing touches on the 2005 Seahawks. I feel your enthusiasm but let's see if he is still here a decade from now and able to bring in another coach once Pete decides to go be the President of the new LA NFL team.

I'm not ready to enshrine Schneider; however, I will say with a degree of confidence that he's one of the better GM's we've had. I'm not sure equating his performance to Ruskell's is applicable or even fair. We weren't a bad team in 2004 by any means. Ruskell added some pieces that got us over the top and to the Super Bowl, but the team barely treaded water over the next 2 seasons in a weak division. Then we dropped into a dismal state in 2008/9. Under Schneider, the team steadily improved from ground zero to Super Bowl contenders. Further, our first Super Bowl victory came under him, so some credit is due, IMO. Additionally, we have never possessed this kind of depth in team history. Certainly you can't deny that Schneider played a central role in that?

All true. I am just saying what is it with folks wanting to anoint folks the greatest ever while still in the moment? Just like you and others, I have seen the morphing of this team from a weak, mediocre team into one all fans can be proud of. I appreciate what John and Pete have done and have been on-board with them from the beginning. I just don't want to throw my panties on the stage, that's all. I used Ruskell as an example of folks jumping on the crazy wagon prior to letting things play out.

Similar thing was spouted about Jack Z when he first got here. I don't understand this phenomena.

kf3339

Reaction score
v1rotv2":cz6t2otr said:

^

This. You can't just discuss or applaud JS without PC being very much in the discussion. Some may forget that PC picked JS for his GM; not the other way around. JS has his influence, but if PC says no or wants to go another way that is what will happen.

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm totally in blind love mode with JS/Pete tandem. How many sports teams and how many "4 year plans" have we seen that ended up being no plans at all. These guys you could see something happening the first season, by the 2nd season our secondary was legit, 3rd season the secondary was redonkulous and they pulled a too-short franchise QB out of thin air, 4th season, ring baybee.

Pete and John would have to take several dumps on my lawn for about 3 yrs straight before my crush on them evaporated.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
This all started with Mr. Allen giving PC what he wanted. In turn, PC reeled in the best in the business because he knows talent.

In a capped era, these 2 guys built a team from scratch that has won playoff games 3 out of the 4 years they have been running things. JS gave us RW and NAILED it. This after PC opened up his deep library of kids that he considered recruiting. Many of these players are still developing, they are a bunch kids that now know they can win a Super Bowl if they work for it.

Every year, a rookie or two gets a starting job and succeeds at some level. That is huge in longetivity. The Hawks are just getting started folks, they might not win a bunch of Super Bowl games, but they already did in 4 years what many other teams haven't in ages. They will compete every year and get a decent shot at it because JS works with PC.

Then to add to things, they have the perfect owner. A NW native with the deepest pockets in the league and a true desire to have a winner. Enough that he trusts PC/JS to handle things. JS is the best in the business, I have no doubt of that and he will be recognized for it in the years to come.

These are great days bros.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It bothered me then and it downright irks me now when anyone gives Ruskell credit for the XL Super Bowl appearance. Holmgren built that team and Timmy was brought in in the 2005 offseason. Is there anyone that can say that they would not have made XL without Timmy's presence. John schneider in lock step with Pete Carroll built this team from scratch and in 4 years brought it to the pinnacle of sports. There is absolutely no comparison between Ruskell and Schneider. One has had a steady upward swing of success while the other had a steady downward arc.

drdiags

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":chqasqzy said:
It bothered me then and it downright irks me now when anyone gives Ruskell credit for the XL Super Bowl appearance. Holmgren built that team and Timmy was brought in in the 2005 offseason. Is there anyone that can say that they would not have made XL without Timmy's presence.

Yeah, Tim R sucked the big one, but Darby, Jerivicious, Lofa, Hill, Dyson and a few other pick-ups helped the Holmgren built team get over the hump. Or do we overlook the absolutely sorry end to the 2004 season, losing to the Rams twice in the regular season and in the playoffs, at home?

All I can say is this convo has been hashed over for almost a decade. Not trying to renew it. Also, folks like to take a general example and make it the main argument of their counter-point. I don't remember saying Ruskell was better than John/Pete, yet throughout this thread, that is the conclusion I make from the counterpoints.

Hope that helps your indigestion. If not, my apologies.

Anthony!

Reaction score
I think he has done a great job over all. We have a glaring weakness on this team he has yet to fix though. Once he fixes that I will consider him one of the best ever.