Incompetent Seattle media or

Seymour

Reaction score
Not sure what you guys are talking about, we get the news before it's even news here.....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn/status/446727406452109312[/tweet]

Jerhawk

Reaction score
kf3339":1sei5ihn said:
Jerhawk":1sei5ihn said:
kf3339":1sei5ihn said:
Jerhawk":1sei5ihn said:
Schneider typically waits for the smoke to clear in free agency.
He doesn't go after high priced players.
Let's just be patient

It's that strategy that got us Webb and Sowell last season. Look how far that got us.

This is not the free agent season to sit on your hands playing money ball. There is no cost in losing comp picks for the 2018 draft. So he needs to make a real play for some quality players that can make a difference this season. Overpay some if needed. Restructure some current contracts to free up extra cap room, if needed. Make a serious play to make it to and win the Super Bowl this season.

If not, we aren't going to even sniff a Super Bowl this next season.

Well, thank goodness you're not the Seahawks GM then. I'd prefer the team not spend carelessly in free agency and build through the draft.
Look at the 2013 free agency. Schneider waited, then pounced on Avril and Bennett after the first wave passed and their value decreased.

So you don't care about getting back to and winning the Super Bowl again. Got it.

While they are trying to draft their way back to a real contender status, this team is getting old. We have at most two years with many of our best D players and that's it. No one said spend carelessly in FA, but that doesn't mean only looking thru the garbage bins to fill out your team weaknesses. That has been their approach the last two years.

Yes, I want Seattle to go 0-16 for the next thirty seasons. :roll:

Who on the free agent market did you want Seattle to go after? Either still available or already signed? Because so far, this has been an overpriced, over aged class of free agents I didn't want the team to touch. The draft is where they should be focusing, and by the looks of it, they are. Restock and keep building through the draft. That's what got the team to where they are today

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":2f4gmz9p said:
sutz":2f4gmz9p said:
Strange, but I seem to recall that almost every time they went for a "splashy" FA/trade, it bombed.

We don't have the cash to outbid most of the other teams in the league. Need to be wiser this year, not big risk takers.

Sidney Rice, Zach Miller, Cliff Avril, and Michael Bennett were all huge free agency signings made during the Schneider and Pete era. All of those players were the #1 rated free agent at their position the year the Seahawks signed them....with Avril and Bennett being #1 and #2 in the same free agency class.

I wouldn't say any of those splash free agent signings bombed. Sidney and Zach were instrumental in the 2012 season, which laid the groundwork for our 13 Super Bowl Season. Michael Bennett and Cliff need no explanation. They're currently top players at their position in the league.

What we usually bomb at was trading away our first round pick for Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham. Percy, because he's a nutcase. And Graham, because our OC is incompetent and doesn't know how to utilize one of the greatest offensive weapons in the game.
Graham just established a franchise record for tight end yardage in a year he's coming off a major injury. He is being used efficiently and will have an even more impactful season this year.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":qlab3xsk said:
Graham just established a franchise record for tight end yardage in a year he's coming off a major injury. He is being used efficiently and will have an even more impactful season this year.

Sure. As long as one is willing to completely ignore the HUGE red zone use issue, which is pretty much half the reason you pickup a mismatch type player like Graham and pay him $10 million per season.

mikeak

Reaction score
Give me one FA signing this season for the Seahawks that the media hasn't talked about......

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3tm73phz said:
Siouxhawk":3tm73phz said:

Sure. As long as one is willing to completely ignore the HUGE red zone use issue, which is pretty much half the reason you pickup a mismatch type player like Graham and pay him $10 million per season.
If we recapture our defensive identity of a few years ago and field an improved offensive line, it's not a HUGE issue at all. It's Seahawk football. And it's WINNING.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3sm5t1ba said:
Seymour":3sm5t1ba said:
Siouxhawk":3sm5t1ba said:

If we recapture our defensive identity of a few years ago and field an improved offensive line, it's not a HUGE issue at all. It's Seahawk football. And it's WINNING.

If ....blah blah blah???
It IS an issue, PERIOD.

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":tmm6axyi said:
Seymour":tmm6axyi said:
Siouxhawk":tmm6axyi said:

If our players morphed in to the top of their position in the league we would have a landslide in the Pro Bowl as far as amount of players participating from one team also.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":l2eventi said:
Give me one FA signing this season for the Seahawks that the media hasn't talked about......

The media has speculated about every OLine possibilityand numerous other positional FA types but there has been little news as to who the team has actually spoken to. This is also true about potential draft picks. Maybe the FO prefers to control the news but it is frustrating to have zero idea of anyone the team may had interest in.

I'm not saying this approach hasn't worked for the team, or that it might be of import when the tea is in the bottom 1/3 of team available cap. It still might be of interest to know which players we kicked the tires of during this stage.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Incompetent Seattle media? lol

We don't have the cap space to get into this first overpaying wave of FA's. It's that simple.

mikeak

Reaction score
jammerhawk":7si2dz50 said:
mikeak":7si2dz50 said:

The media has speculated about every OLine possibilityand numerous other positional FA types but there has been little news as to who the team has actually spoken to. This is also true about potential draft picks. Maybe the FO prefers to control the news but it is frustrating to have zero idea of anyone the team may had interest in.

I'm not saying this approach hasn't worked for the team, or that it might be of import when the tea is in the bottom 1/3 of team available cap. It still might be of interest to know which players we kicked the tires of during this stage.

In the last few days one could read how Kirk Cousins to the 49ers was a done deal

One could read how Kirk Cousins to the 49ers was being talked about

One could read how Kirk Cousins to the 49ers was not going to happen

and one could read that 49ers moved on from Kirk Cousins

So I just rather wait for factual information than crap to be made up so that the "local" media has something to write about

Clearly we are not talking to the most coveted free agents and we are keeping it under wraps. Not everything is a big conspiracy. I like the fact that what we discuss in our building isn't out there for everyone to see like some other teams

Schadie001

Reaction score
Hawks don't have a huge amount of cap space but yet have some big holes to try and fill. PC/JS are not really ones to get into the give people ludicrous amounts of money the first day of free agency. As many have pointed out, the dust will settle before we really see anything happen and then I wouldn't expect us to sign a top tier guy. We rarely go after the big names and when we have, we have gotten burnt ala Percy and that corner who I can't remember his name from Philly.

We still need to take care of Kam as well.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I realize it's been a few years now and so memories get hazy, but we signed both Avril and Bennett on March 13th/14th after the initial rush died down. We gave Bennett a 1 year $5 mil deal and Avril a two year $15 mil deal. Hindsight may have them as the best signings of 2013 but they were very far down the list at the time.

The biggest FA splashes that year included:
  • Dolphins: Wallace, Ellerbe, Wheeler for $121 mil
    Colts: Cherilus, Toler, Walden, Thomas, Landry, Jean-Francois for $125 mil
    Bucs: Goldson for $42 mil
    Ravens: Dumervil for $35 mil
    Eagles: Barwin for $36 mil
    Titans: Levitre, Walker for $57 mil
    Bears: Bennett, Bushrod for $56 mil
    Lions: Houston, Quin, Bush for $66 mil
    Vikings: Loadholt for $25 mil
    Falcons: Baker for $41 mil
    Rams: Cook for $35 mil

In the NFL, free agency "winners" do not usually translate to actual winning the following season. This is because we are under a salary cap and so you can't outspend your opponents, you can only spend the same amount of money more or less wisely. When you spend big on a player in free agency you will nearly always overpay for them because you had to beat out 31 other teams (winner's curse in auctions), and that means your overall talent will be less than a team that drafted and extended players at a better value.

Mojambo

Reaction score
You sound like Mike Salk.

FA is largely a sucker's game. I'm comfortable with the way they handle it, even if it means we don't get to open our presents right away like other fans.

Tical21

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2bs5ixtd said:
Seymour":2bs5ixtd said:
Siouxhawk":2bs5ixtd said:

No offense, but if you have been watching the Jimmy Graham experience and consider it a success, I have no idea what to tell ya man. You can't be a physical running team with Jimmy Graham as your top TE. We don't throw to him in the red zone. We VERY rarely throw to him up the seam. We are way better without him than we are with him. IMO it's been a complete disaster and we are dead in the water as long as he is our primary TE. Now, if you tell me we're going to put him in the slot and use him properly, I'm in. But we don't, we're not, and it's a disaster.

sutz

Reaction score
AgentDib":234gqk74 said:
In the NFL, free agency "winners" do not usually translate to actual winning the following season.
If it did, Snyder's Redskins would have won 4 or 5 SBs in the last 10 years. ;)

mikeak

Reaction score
AgentDib":p1ndc16a said:
I realize it's been a few years now and so memories get hazy, but we signed both Avril and Bennett on March 13th/14th after the initial rush died down. We gave Bennett a 1 year $5 mil deal and Avril a two year $15 mil deal. Hindsight may have them as the best signings of 2013 but they were very far down the list at the time.

The biggest FA splashes that year included:
  • Dolphins: Wallace, Ellerbe, Wheeler for $121 mil
    Colts: Cherilus, Toler, Walden, Thomas, Landry, Jean-Francois for $125 mil
    Bucs: Goldson for $42 mil
    Ravens: Dumervil for $35 mil
    Eagles: Barwin for $36 mil
    Titans: Levitre, Walker for $57 mil
    Bears: Bennett, Bushrod for $56 mil
    Lions: Houston, Quin, Bush for $66 mil
    Vikings: Loadholt for $25 mil
    Falcons: Baker for $41 mil
    Rams: Cook for $35 mil

In the NFL, free agency "winners" do not usually translate to actual winning the following season. This is because we are under a salary cap and so you can't outspend your opponents, you can only spend the same amount of money more or less wisely. When you spend big on a player in free agency you will nearly always overpay for them because you had to beat out 31 other teams (winner's curse in auctions), and that means your overall talent will be less than a team that drafted and extended players at a better value.

Great list, great reminder

On the "same amount" part it is technically correct over an extended period of time. However due to the ability to roll over Cap a team can come in with unused amounts from prior years which is added to their payroll. Then you add to this the requirements in the CBA to spend certain percentages and you will have years with teams that just has a boatload of money and may be forced to spend it.

So you can outspend your competitors over a shorter period of time. Right now Cleveland can outspend just about everybody, but they are starting from a worse point.

Final thoughts is that if you hit it in FA then you get what the Giants did last year where they really turned around and should be a good / great team this year. However as your list shows most teams don't........

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kf3339":3l540xai said:
Jerhawk":3l540xai said:
Schneider typically waits for the smoke to clear in free agency.
He doesn't go after high priced players.
Let's just be patient

It's that strategy that got us Webb and Sowell last season. Look how far that got us.

This is not the free agent season to sit on your hands playing money ball. There is no cost in losing comp picks for the 2018 draft. So he needs to make a real play for some quality players that can make a difference this season. Overpay some if needed. Restructure some current contracts to free up extra cap room, if needed. Make a serious play to make it to and win the Super Bowl this season.

If not, we aren't going to even sniff a Super Bowl this next season.

Good thing the Jags followed this strategy last offseason. That Lombardi looks great on their shelf.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mojambo":vo0bvj5o said:
You sound like Mike Salk.

FA is largely a sucker's game. I'm comfortable with the way they handle it, even if it means we don't get to open our presents right away like other fans.

For most teams yes, but look what the Patriot's are doing.

They're about to sign the top CB in free agency, and possibly trade Butler to New Orleans for Branden Cooks. This is after trading away their top two DE's.

Standing pat and adding 3rd tier scrubs is what I don't like, and that's exactly what we've done the past couple of years. If you don't have cap space, you make cap space or get creative.

Where's our creativity? Are we seriously gonna just stand pat again and sign a bunch of has beens as band aids?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":2rkdqg2x said:
Siouxhawk":2rkdqg2x said:
Seymour":2rkdqg2x said:
Siouxhawk":2rkdqg2x said:

No offense, but if you have been watching the Jimmy Graham experience and consider it a success, I have no idea what to tell ya man. You can't be a physical running team with Jimmy Graham as your top TE. We don't throw to him in the red zone. We VERY rarely throw to him up the seam. We are way better without him than we are with him. IMO it's been a complete disaster and we are dead in the water as long as he is our primary TE. Now, if you tell me we're going to put him in the slot and use him properly, I'm in. But we don't, we're not, and it's a disaster.
Considering he was rebounding from an injury that many thought would end his career, I certainly do see last season as a huge success. He became more well-rounded and his endurance was tested and he passed. With that said, I fully anticipate more scoring and yards production from him in the upcoming season and he won't be tasked as much with providing blocking assistance on the line.