Initial thoughts after re-watching the game (week 2)

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkGA":32tukng4 said:
In the play where Russ slides, was that the personal foul play? Definitely should have been. The defender tucks his head and spears him.

It was called, but I think it was a borderline bad call. Wilson went into his slide really late and the LBer was already in the motion of a tackle.

In replay, it showed he didn't hit his head but went shoulder pad to shoulder pad. The replay was in the opposite direction. If the ref saw the play from the same angle as the gif, it's understandable.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
mrt144":1ctxauaz said:
BBQHawk":1ctxauaz said:
Stating the obvious. Graham is just hot garbage as a blocker. I guess it gives us the ability to go 6 wide in our "turn-style" formation.

And yet he is tasked with that more times than he should be. How can Bevell be the only person who hasn't recognized this talent gap? Why does he keep trying to make a blocker out of Graham? At what point do you say, "this guy, despite his position designation, just doesn't play that position like Zach Miller"

I would love to see what a fresh set of eyes does for the offense. Sometimes a cognitive bias can hold back a team.
I don't get how Graham's been used either, but that simply can't all be laid at the feet of Bevell IMO. Pete is the head coach and while his specialty is the D, a guy doesn't get to his level of success without knowing plenty about offense. So why try to make Jimmy something he isn't, and if you feel he must block regularly, why trade for him at all?

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
mrt144":2tgnh8ve said:
BBQHawk":2tgnh8ve said:
Stating the obvious. Graham is just hot garbage as a blocker. I guess it gives us the ability to go 6 wide in our "turn-style" formation.

And yet he is tasked with that more times than he should be. How can Bevell be the only person who hasn't recognized this talent gap? Why does he keep trying to make a blocker out of Graham? At what point do you say, "this guy, despite his position designation, just doesn't play that position like Zach Miller"

I would love to see what a fresh set of eyes does for the offense. Sometimes a cognitive bias can hold back a team.

Don't you think those eyes are indeed Pete's?

All of this talk about Bevell like he is coaching in a vacuum is bordering on ridiculous. Time and time again, we get reminded by members of our coaching staff that the offense design, gameplan, and execution comes courtesy of Bevell, Cable, and Pete. They work as a team, and any thought to the contrary is probably shortsighted.

Do you really think Pete is going to keep his mouth shut and sit on the side and watch Bevell do this on his own? That's insane.

sc85sis

Reaction score
mrt144":29plfi6y said:
BBQHawk":29plfi6y said:

To be fair, they drafted Vannett in part because of this very issue. They wanted another TE who could block and occasionally catch.