Initial thoughts on game 3

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":358fc8ar said:
Kearly usually you're awesome but really? Dallas? Zack Prescott? Come on man. This is a team with no pass rush, two actual options on offense and a quarterback made of glass. In an actual game we beat them by 30 points. They aren't good. The Giants and Redskins are right at their level. Each of them are BAD.

I agree..... Kearly sounds like a cowgirls fan.

Its the preseason. Geez

Hawks46

Reaction score
I read on nfl.com that Wilson and the offense really started showing up when Dallas put their backups in. I'm not sure they were in at the start of the 3rd quarter, but if this is true, then I'd have a different grade for them.

I was disappointed in the run blocking in the first half. Pass protection was good, but Dallas has a smaller DL and we weren't able to push them around enough. I'll chalk this up to a newer OL and they are still learning. I think we'd run really well on them if this game was up here and week 6 of the regular season.

Color me impressed with Dak Prescott. I thought it was preseason hype, but he did what he had to do, and against our starters.

My biggest disappointment was our run defense. Seriousy, I know it's a good OL, but you're facing a rookie QB just after Romo went down. Uh, yeah, they're going to run it. They ran it when they had to run it, and when we obviously KNEW they had to run it. I'm glad it's a preseason game and more coaching tape than anything. Elliot was also very impressive, exposing what has been poor tackling by our defense this preseason.

I like that our defense is playing fired up and starting to get some swagger back. Clark looked good, and I was impressed by Jefferson.

Depending on how well some of the younger guys play, I could see Simon not making the team, and maybe Hill. With McDaniels being back, I think Hill could be replaceable and probably will be IR'd the first time he gets hurt again.

Good grief, Bevell and his stupid situational play calling. 3rd down and short, and a bubble screen to Baldwin. As soon as that ball was in the air, I knew it was a doomed play because Dallas broke on it so fast it was like they were in the huddle. It's not that screens don't work for us, it's that Bevell calls them in the same exact situations in every game. When we throw one on 1st down, it typically works. I hope he's just trolling everyone because it's preseason.

I was pretty bummed when Romo got hurt. We really didn't get to see what we could do against Dallas' complete starters.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if that should have been OPI on Witten's TD? I thought KJ would have caught the ball if it hadn't been for Witten shoving him from behind right before the ball got there. Or am I just a crazy homer?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Willyeye":160pv45b said:
Can anyone tell me if that should have been OPI on Witten's TD? I thought KJ would have caught the ball if it hadn't been for Witten shoving him from behind right before the ball got there. Or am I just a crazy homer?

I said the same thing. If their positions had been reversed I'm sure it would have been DPI, but I think with the way the calls favor the offense, it's allowed now.

Hawks46

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1r6b4w4o said:
Willyeye":1r6b4w4o said:

I said the same thing. If their positions had been reversed I'm sure it would have been DPI, but I think with the way the calls favor the offense, it's allowed now.

I'm honestly not sure how Witten is going to push Wright when Witten's hands were over Wright's head and a little in front of him. Witten just stole that ball plain and simple. Wright knew it, you could see him being pissed on the sidelines after that play.

If Witten was shoving Wright or doing anything other than going full out to catch that ball, that wouldn't have been a catch. Wright might not have intercepted it at that point, but it was a great play by him.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Hawks46":p2y6g9zz said:
EverydayImRusselin":p2y6g9zz said:
Willyeye":p2y6g9zz said:

I'm honestly not sure how Witten is going to push Wright when Witten's hands were over Wright's head and a little in front of him. Witten just stole that ball plain and simple. Wright knew it, you could see him being pissed on the sidelines after that play.

If Witten was shoving Wright or doing anything other than going full out to catch that ball, that wouldn't have been a catch. Wright might not have intercepted it at that point, but it was a great play by him.

I was trying to re-watch the play this morning but couldn't find the slow motion replay shot from the back of the end zone that I saw last night. I apologize for using the word shoved...definitely not what I was trying to say. It was more like KJ was waiting to catch the ball and Witten slammed him from behind with his chest into KJ's back. I think the body-slam even knocked KJ down. Maybe I AM a crazy homer.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawks46":p0g8bcag said:
EverydayImRusselin":p0g8bcag said:
Willyeye":p0g8bcag said:

I believe Wright was thinking INT when he should have been thinking PD. ;)

Smellyman

Reaction score
That Oline made Demarco Murray look all world and Murray shredded Seattle too.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good stuff as usual kearly...

Glad you mentioned that All-Pro moment from ETIII. I about jumped out of my seat when they showed the replay. Live, it looked like maybe he got a way with PI just being a touch there too soon but the replay clearly showed, like you say, an "All-Pro Moment". Fantastic. The play got lost by the announcers as they were interviewing Russell on the sidelines at the time.

I too was blown away that KJ Wright didn't come down with that pick. After further review, perhaps it's the homer in me but I do believe Witten got away with OPI as you could clearly see he made contact with KJ before the ball was there which looked like it effected KJ's ability to catch the ball. Oh well. Russell got us pay back with that outstanding touchdown pass to Richardson in the back corner of the endzone. As good as the coverage was it was indefensible.

I hate to admit it but Prescott seems like the real deal. His passes are scary accurate for a rookie, and while I definitely agree playing behind the NFL's best OL is helping make him look really, really good, I think he will be really good in the NFL for the, ugh, Cowboys.

Ezekiel Elliott is a man. Wow did he take it to our starters. I know it's preseason so game planning and any real scheming is vanilla but he also looks to be the real deal. Like most teams the Cowboys have holes but they could be a force and I will even say not even if, but especially if Prescott plays over Romo from injury or otherwise.

I don't fault Chancellor for not wrapping up necessarily. He was so excited just to "hit somebody" (that's all he talked about this past week in pressers) that it became his primary objective, forgetting about the all important wrapping up and finishing a tackle. I am not the least concerned once real bullets start flying. The rust will come off and we're right back at the sound, discipline defense we know and love.

Russell looked much improved of course and there were some flashes of that magic we are used to but he still seems a step slower than normal. I don't know if it's because it's preseason speed or if he really is a touch slower than the past. Maybe it's just my imagination. Boykin definitely has a quicker burst and spin move than Wilson.

I am incredibly surprised at our OL right now. They look STOUT at times even with blitz recognition and pickup. There's a nastiness to this OL we've been missing for years and I am really really hopeful for this unit. Britt has impressed me greatly at the center position. It appears he has found his natural position. You can tell how excited Russell is in his sideline comments about the OL. There's still adjustments and things to clean up and work on, but man I was not expecting to be this thrilled with that unit this early.

A better pass rush will always be desired by any 12, but it's hard to gauge in a preseason game against the NFL's elite OL which can make any defense look average at best. Too many "Oh so close" moments and not enough "YES!" moments when it comes to pressure. I am hoping that will change as we get into the regular season and see 100% effort.

Again, possible homerism here but I thought that unnecessary roughness penalty on Kam was ridiculously bad. The ball was tipped and Kam didn't know if that ball was caught or not. It was an instinctive clean play that he was punished for. Is that not a challengable call?

Baldwin and Lockett are studs. Kearse is solid too but always makes me nervous for some reason. I don't get that same feeling about Baldwin and Lockett.

Feels good to play much better than last week, especially against the Cowboys. If our starting offense failed to score and we got owned all night this would be a much different place here today.

idahawks

Reaction score
Where to you guys watch the game? Its blocked where I live, I can't find it anywhere.

aawolf

Reaction score
I was too was really really impressed with Dak Prescott, despite the fact that he's a Cowboy and I'm predisposed to hate him. He's the Russell Wilson of last year's draft. So many other QBs taken ahead of him and he just shows up and blows away the competition. Meanwhile, Jared Goff's first play from scrimmage is an interception, and in his second game, his first play from scrimmage is a fumble. And the poor Rams traded so much to get him (LOL).

I disagree with kearly's take that he hasn't faced adversity yet like he will in the NFL against a prime D-line. I heard similar comments from talking heads today. The dude, a fourth round draft pick, playing in his third game in the NFL, just moved the ball steadily down the field a few times against the best first-string defense in the country. That's not pressure? He was getting hit too, and he got back up and kept slinging it. All the naysayers (not you, kearly, but some talking heads I heard this morning), be like "It won't always be this easy, wait till he has pressure." I don't know about you, but I consider playing for your job on national TV against the greatest defense in the country to be neither easy nor without pressure. The kid is special and I hope the Cowboys stupidly trade him so that I can openly pull for him. Seriously, anywhere but with the Cowboys will do.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Thanks for the post, Kearly. Liked that you pointed out Dallas DL not being a very gifted bunch. At least we know our OL isn't dominated by a bad DL though.

Mick063

Reaction score
Compared to last year pre season:

Every corner on the team is better than Carey Williams.
Thomas isn't wearing a shoulder harness
Kam is in camp
Christine Michael looks like the player we expected him to be.
The interior offensive line is mauling people.
The offensive line is deeper, can more readily withstand limited attrition.
The pre snap penalties are noticeably reduced.
At this rate, the long snapper will cost two games and possibly put the punter on IR.
Rookies look like the best class in years.
Running backs Farmer and Pope look better than Collins and Brooks. It is possible that none of them make final cut.
Boykin's style looks more like Wilson than any other QB not named Tyrod Taylor.
The run defense looks spectacular at times and very vulnerable at times. Hard to get a read on it.

Seafan

Reaction score
Hawks46":tc2kik8f said:
Depending on how well some of the younger guys play, I could see Simon not making the team, and maybe Hill. With McDaniels being back, I think Hill could be replaceable and probably will be IR'd the first time he gets hurt again.

I think Hill and Siliga are fighting for one spot. Not sure how the NFI works but Siliga may still be on it and possibly means he could stay there a few weeks.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3bii4ien said:
Great write up.

Although Dak has looked great through 3 weeks, he reminds me a lot of Kapernick. As soon as teams start to scout him, and figure out what makes him uncomfortable, he will sink back down to normal levels.
I'm wondering myself how a guy I didn't hear much about is this great QB all the sudden.I'll wait till late in season to say anything.I know Romo starts but I think he is done and is not going to make it very far with his old fragile body

Ozzy

Reaction score
Don't have a ton to add but Richardson was interesting. He out snapped Lockett with the ones and I still think he is going to be more of a factor then many fans are expecting. I wouldn't be surprised if he slowly phases out Kearse as the year goes on. They still apparently view Richardson as a big part of the future passing game. Kearse will stay play a big role and is the better run blocker but Richardson is going to get his targets. I love the idea of Richardson and Lockett on the field at the same time applying maximum pressure to a defense.

Clark is still my pick to be the next star on this team. He continues to dominate in one on one situations.

Prosise looked good in limited action and I'm excited to see how they use him going foreward.

McGruff

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2pog8ehe said:
Hawk_Nation":2pog8ehe said:
Great write up.

Although Dak has looked great through 3 weeks, he reminds me a lot of Kapernick. As soon as teams start to scout him, and figure out what makes him uncomfortable, he will sink back down to normal levels.
I'm wondering myself how a guy I didn't hear much about is this great QB all the sudden.I'll wait till late in season to say anything.I know Romo starts but I think he is done and is not going to make it very far with his old fragile body

Prescott was my #1 rated Qb in the draft. I wanted him for Seattle in the 3rd round.

Tical21

Reaction score
I wasn't able to watch much last night. Any idea what happened against the run? Morgan not setting the edge? D-line getting handled? LB's running around blocks instead of taking them on?

McGruff

Reaction score
Tical21":196gkrxl said:
I wasn't able to watch much last night. Any idea what happened against the run? Morgan not setting the edge? D-line getting handled? LB's running around blocks instead of taking them on?

I'll have to look closer on the one drive where they really gouged us, but my gut says really great blocking and mature running by Elliot. He is so patient and controlled. It is a little bit like watching Emmitt Smith out there.