Interesting take on Ifedi & development curve for OTs

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2d0zvmhg said:
It's almost laughable to see many posters making the same mistakes they did with Unger and Britt with Ifedi.

Both Unger and Britt struggled through 2 years of playing. There was a significant contingent on here saying they were trash and that they had "seen enough."

Only to have in years 3+ these 2 guys blossom as above average to pro-bowl caliber players. I think it's completely premature to label Ifedi a bust. I think we've got to see what he does in year 3 (2nd year at the same spot.)

Certainly it's possible he plateau and never reach his potential. It's also quite possible he takes another step forward and gives us productive play at RT.

I'lm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's the new, online, instant gratification world. Historically, everyone expected it took 2-3 years for most players to even develop into starters. RB's can often step right in, and maybe linebackers and pure pass rushers to a certain extent but, when I was growing up it was just a given that QB's, O-Line, WR's, etc... took time to develop. When I see everyone ready to throw guys away as bums halfway thru their rookie seasons, it's dumbfounding.

I think this year is either the breakout year for Ifedi, or where we find out he's JAG. But, you don't find that out in season 1, and usually not even in season 2.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I will take an average O-Line at this point. Hopefully Ifedi and the rest of the crew will make some improvements this year. Last season was unacceptable. Save us Solari!

cheese22

Reaction score
It sounds like it's pretty obvious what should happen. Ifedi and Fluker at guard, Brown at LT and let Pocic, Fant and rookie fight it out for RT.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The issue I had with Ifedi was the penalties.

For whatever reason, his focus mentally was terrible last year. If he could cut down on the penalties, critics like myself would shut up.

sdog1981

Reaction score
This article can be summed up like this:

Blah, blah, blah, Cable's constant switching of players has stunted their development.

Ifedi should be entering his 3rd year at one position. The guy is built like a guard and should stay there.

toffee

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3gp8soe1 said:
The issue I had with Ifedi was the penalties.

For whatever reason, his focus mentally was terrible last year. If he could cut down on the penalties, critics like myself would shut up.

If Ifedi could keep the penalties under control, he would have been average. That would have been pretty good for a sophomore RT.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":3ipa7ue0 said:
jlwaters1":3ipa7ue0 said:
It's almost laughable to see many posters making the same mistakes they did with Unger and Britt with Ifedi.

Both Unger and Britt struggled through 2 years of playing. There was a significant contingent on here saying they were trash and that they had "seen enough."

Only to have in years 3+ these 2 guys blossom as above average to pro-bowl caliber players. I think it's completely premature to label Ifedi a bust. I think we've got to see what he does in year 3 (2nd year at the same spot.)

Certainly it's possible he plateau and never reach his potential. It's also quite possible he takes another step forward and gives us productive play at RT.

It's the new, online, instant gratification world. Historically, everyone expected it took 2-3 years for most players to even develop into starters. RB's can often step right in, and maybe linebackers and pure pass rushers to a certain extent but, when I was growing up it was just a given that QB's, O-Line, WR's, etc... took time to develop. When I see everyone ready to throw guys away as bums halfway thru their rookie seasons, it's dumbfounding.

I think this year is either the breakout year for Ifedi, or where we find out he's JAG. But, you don't find that out in season 1, and usually not even in season 2.
BS! It’s the fact that our brain trust trotted 3 or 4 of these developmental projects out there at the same time! There is no time for development there. It killed our offense.

12forlife

Reaction score
original poster":z85lstog said:
jlwaters1":z85lstog said:

This X1000.

Ifedi is the scape goat of this line, and it's unjust.

Now I have to disagree with you on this. It is not unjust. He was a 1st rd pick, and he still doesn't show much sign of improving. I will give him 1 more year under Solari before I through out the bust card, but with his athletic ability he hasn't shown much, he isn't dominant in run blocking, he isn't dominant in pass blocking, he is a penalty machine, drawing false starts or holding penalties :pukeface: I hope he can figure it out this year or he can get on the train with Joekel.

Jville

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1gggxkio said:

^^^ Good points.

Impatience is often blind to the development process and Seahawk mission. Ifedi is only 23 years of age. He'll turn 24 on June 2nd. He has started the last 29 consecutive regular season games during his first two years. On field experience both on the inside and out. With Solari back in the fold, all signs point to positive growth and development.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Look at that bell curve on the diagram. It shows that at best our online development plan got players to an acceptable point about the time their contract was up and we could no longer afford to keep them.

Seymour

Reaction score
brimsalabim":5nkkcrup said:
Look at that bell curve on the diagram. It shows that at best our online development plan got players to an acceptable point about the time their contract was up and we could no longer afford to keep them.

I brought this up 2 years ago. Their entire plan to play cheap linemen and blow our draft assets is setup to fail for that exact reason.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":p9ho5tc3 said:
brimsalabim":p9ho5tc3 said:

I brought this up 2 years ago. Their entire plan to play cheap linemen and blow our draft assets is setup to fail for that exact reason.

With Duane Brown, Justin Britt, and D.J. Fluker on the roster, there should be a healthy mix now of veterans and draft prospects.

Personally, I think Fluker looks a lot more natural at tackle than guard. Even though he's not quick or explosive, he has this uncanny ability to use footwork and amazing length to corral outside pass rushers. He could be OK at guard, but he doesn't mirror that well inside, making him prone to quick counter moves. On the outside, it seems he either use his length to reign them in when they go long or they hit a brick wall going back inside. Fluker just looks more comfortable at RT.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Can we give Solari a chance to develop our OLine?

Because, we gave Cable free reign on trying everything.

We drafted OLinemen.
We drafted Dlinemen and move them over to O.
We signed a former 1st RD pick.
We signed vets
We shuffled OLinemen from position to position.
We moved a TE to OT
The final step was trading for a Pro Bowl tackle.

Nothing worked.

The only thing we didn't do is replace the coach. Maybe a new philosophy, a new set of eyes may improve this OLine.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/978632869177372672[/tweet]

:shock: