Iowa State Will McDonald the Hawks best 2023 draft prospect

Chevy

Reaction score
Iowa State 3-4 DE Will McDonald (6'4" 245lbs) has maybe the highest upside as a 3-4 OLB in the draft. IMO McDonald is the Seahawks best defensive pass rushing OLB target for the 2023. McDonald doesn't have amazing stats, but that's because he is being played as a DE on a 3-4 defense when he is only 245 lbs.! Watching him it's obvious his coaching staff is not utilizing him right. But McDonald may benefit going into the NFL for having the experience of going head up with offensive lineman 80 lbs. bigger than him every rep of his career, and sometimes having to go against double-teams. He has amazing bend and agility to get after the QB. He is not a linear athlete like Will Anderson.

McDonald has long arms (looks 34 inches or 35 inches) for his height, which is a bonus for pass rushers. He also has elite body control/bend for a pass rusher. He is an explosive player off the snap...my comp for him is Steelers OLB/DE TJ Watt. For me McDonald is a top-15 pick (maybe higher after Senior Bowl and Combine). I think he will have much better career than Alabama DE/OLB Will Anderson. Anderson has a higher floor with a much lower ceiling, whereas McDonald has a lower floor, with a much higher ceiling.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Would LOVE to get this guy on our team... I really like him and Jared Verse coming off the edge. If we come away with one of them, I'd be a happy camper.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
McDonald is a high scoring SPARQ athlete and should do well at the combine. I completely agree with you about Anderson being overrated this year he has been underwhelming rushing the passer he gets sacks but not really providing the “oh crap” pass rush

I am assuming after the combine teams will go back and watch McDonalds film and he will get interest

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Would LOVE to get this guy on our team... I really like him and Jared Verse coming off the edge. If we come away with one of them, I'd be a happy camper.
Verse looks like the most explosive 3-4 pass rusher (before he got hurt), whereas McDonald is both explosive, long, balanced, can turn the corner unlike anyone in the draft, and has extensive experience going against much bigger offensive lineman every rep of his college career.

I would be happy to pull the trigger on both in the 1st round with our picks. But, for me McDonald is my #1 draft target if DT/DE Jalen Carter is gone.

ncseahawk

Reaction score
Sorry guys, Will McD is a nice player. The Top DE, even top defensive player in the country is Will Anderson and no one else is even close. Watch the film. Trust the pro's who know.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Sorry guys, Will McD is a nice player. The Top DE, even top defensive player in the country is Will Anderson and no one else is even close. Watch the film. Trust the pro's who know.
You sound like a rookie draftnik, who just started following the draft process this year.

ncseahawk

Reaction score
You sound like a rookie draftnik, who just started following the draft process this year.
Cmon Chevy, is that your expert opinion... Is your draft expertise based on the same level of analysis as your Ad Hominem attacks. Be better. Watch the film. Who impacts the game more? Who has the better first step? Who has the ability to convert speed to power? The answer is the same for each question?

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Cmon Chevy, is that your expert opinion... Is your draft expertise based on the same level of analysis as your Ad Hominem attacks. Be better. Watch the film. Who impacts the game more? Who has the better first step? Who has the ability to convert speed to power? The answer is the same for each question?
It's obvious to me that you haven't studied the film of the rush LB's/DE's players in this upcoming draft. Scheme and surronding players are a huge impact on a college player's impact; which you would know if YOU studied these two players...or any college players.

McDonald has the better first step if you watch the film. McDonald is the better athlete. As you read this you don't even know the scheme McDonald plays in or his position. lol.

It's okay rookie, you'll learn in time.

Last edited:

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Chevy, I love reading your draft posts and player evaluations. I am disappointed with this statement. Someone disagreed with you. It happens.

Will McDonald is a good prospect. I am glad you brought him to my attention. I likely wouldn't have paid any attention to him until the weeks leading up to the draft. I enjoyed watching his highlights and I zeroed in on him in a couple of games. From what I have seen of him, I think he will probably go higher than current mocks and the experts are projecting him. The thing I like most about him is his motor and tenacity.

And, I happen to agree with ncseahawk. I'd be happy to have the Hawks draft McDonald, but not if Will Anderson is still on the board. To my eye, he is not on the same level as Will Anderson at this time. Will Anderson is an elite prospect and that is clearly apparent if you watch him play.

ncseahawk

Reaction score
It's obvious to me that you haven't studied the film of the rush LB's/DE's players in this upcoming draft. Scheme and surronding players are a huge impact on a college player's impact; which you would know if YOU studied these two players...or any college players.

McDonald has the better first step if you watch the film. McDonald is the better athlete. As you read this you don't even know the scheme McDonald plays in or his position. lol.

It's okay rookie, you'll learn in time.
Better. Well done. Keep doing it this way

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Chevy, I love reading your draft posts and player evaluations. I am disappointed with this statement. Someone disagreed with you. It happens.

Will McDonald is a good prospect. I am glad you brought him to my attention. I likely wouldn't have paid any attention to him until the weeks leading up to the draft. I enjoyed watching his highlights and I zeroed in on him in a couple of games. From what I have seen of him, I think he will probably go higher than current mocks and the experts are projecting him. The thing I like most about him is his motor and tenacity.

And, I happen to agree with ncseahawk. I'd be happy to have the Hawks draft McDonald, but not if Will Anderson is still on the board. To my eye, he is not on the same level as Will Anderson at this time. Will Anderson is an elite prospect and that is clearly apparent if you watch him play.
There is a way to disagree respectfully with someone and a way to be dismissive and condensing. He chose the latter. So, fair game IMO.

If you want to see how I debate or argue with different opinions other than my own on prospects take a look at "Is This Real Life mock draft". I didn't make definitive statements on prospects, like ncseahawk and you did. In that post, I said "IMO" or "for me" when talking about a prospect. There is a cordial way of debating.

Last edited:

ncseahawk

Reaction score
Chevy, I'll be at Senior Bowl in a couple of weeks. C'mon over and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

Spohawks

Reaction score
This draft is chalk full of busts, the top guys just look sloppy.

This guy for example has a high motor and a spin move. But if you watch the competition, they are like fish flopping out of a boat. They have Zero technique and are just trying to get in the way.

This whole draft class scares me.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
This draft is chalk full of busts, the top guys just look sloppy.

This guy for example has a high motor and a spin move. But if you watch the competition, they are like fish flopping out of a boat. They have Zero technique and are just trying to get in the way.

This whole draft class scares me.
yeah is it just me or is this draft class completely underwhelming across the board? just in time for us to have a top 5 pick of course.

ivotuk

Reaction score
It's fallen off the 1st couple of pages, October 27, but here yuh go:

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
yeah is it just me or is this draft class completely underwhelming across the board? just in time for us to have a top 5 pick of course.
This draft class, for me, isn't nearly as bad as the 2009 draft class when we had the #4 overall pick. Going into that draft was like reaching on 2nd round talet for the top-10. Curry was supposed to be the safest pick in the draft. An off-ball LB that high was so frustrating.

At least this draft has a lot of pass rushers that have high upside along with some high upside QBs.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
This draft class, for me, isn't nearly as bad as the 2009 draft class when we had the #4 overall pick. Going into that draft was like reaching on 2nd round talet for the top-10. Curry was supposed to be the safest pick in the draft. An off-ball LB that high was so frustrating.

At least this draft has a lot of pass rushers that have high upside along with some high upside QBs.
Good to hear we havent had a decent pass rush in so long. A consistent pass rush can fix or cover for a lot of things.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Just more video of our 2023 top-10 pick...

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I started watching him a lot and I like him. I still don't like him enough to be a top 10 pick. I agree that he has massive upside.

Some of the things I see that are positives:
  1. Explosive: Dude is really athletic and it will probably show up at the Combine.
  2. Bendy: He can definitely turn the corner while engaging with an OT.
  3. Dangerous counters: Because he is so quick, OTs are scared of him. He is able to execute counters (spins, hesi-steps). I'm not sure how much this will work with more athletic and more refined tackles in the league.
The reality is he is still a big project. He's not a plug and play Edge. He doesn't have refined moves other than a spin and a few counters. He can come screaming off the edge with good hand technique. Again...I'm just not sure it will work very much in the NFL. He will also need to get stronger and bigger (which he will do). The tape also shows OTs can neutralize him pretty quickly once they get their hands on him. His best move is the spin move that can become ineffective because he does it randomly at times.

I don't know what the Seahawks are going to do. He does scream Seahawk to me. Someone full of traits. I wouldn't feel comfortable with taking him in the top 10 right now. Top 20? Maybe. I wouldn't hate it given what he has shown he can do and what he can become. It would still make me feel like it was a reach. But with 2 first round picks, you can gamble just a tad bit.