Will McDonald IV DE Iowa State Scouting Report

ivotuk

Reaction score
Will McDonald IV DE/EDGE Iowa State | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report

Overall Rank: #47 Position Rank: #12 (DL)
40 time: 4.61 seconds
Height: 6-3 Weight: 236
Hands: 9 1/2 Arms: 34 5/8 Span: 83
Date of Birth: 06/04/1999 Age: 23.4

Scouting Report: Strengths

McDonald has a high motor and does a solid job setting the edge against the run.

He has a lethal spin move and the pure speed to close quickly.

Crazy athletic skills -- Made Bruce Feldman's 'Freaks List' at number 5. He wrote: “He’s an elite athlete who can do backflips standing still and has videos jumping over cars. All of that along with sacking the QB,” Cyclones coach Matt Campbell said of the 6-3, 236-pound edge rusher. Campbell expects McDonald will vertical-jump 42 or 43 inches when he goes to the combine and should broad jump around 11 feet."

He’s very instinctive when it comes to countering and solid with overall hand usage.

He’s very good with his hands, a technician with the violence, quickness, and the long arms to ward off blockers. He has a great motor and enough creativity to make plays late in the down as a pass rusher.

Challenges inside with quickness and strong hands. Run-and-chase defender who can leave a mark.

Will McDonald IV NFL Draft Profile -- Length, spin moves, and motor

McDonald possesses an intriguing frame as an NFL Draft prospect. He has incredible length, which helps him in several ways. The Iowa State DE routinely uses this length to make disruptive plays.

There were several examples in the games studied of him getting his long arm on the ball, forcing a fumble. \

Furthermore, he uses his length at the point of attack with a long arm move to keep offensive linemen at bay.

Additionally, he can drop back and disrupt passing lanes with his long arms.

Last edited:

Chevy

Reaction score
McDonald was a player I kind of looked at before the college football season. I was intrigued with other pass rushers in the draft, most have been kind of disappointing. But now looking at McDonald again has me really intrigued with him as a 2nd or 1st round prospect for the Seahawks to target.

I'm going to try and watch some Iowa State games to get a better look at him. But going off the videos below, he has great initial quickness, good bend, awesome spin move, he looks really fluid with his movements. It looks like he is used a lot as a 3-4 defensive end, which seems like they are not making the best use of his skill set. For us he would be playing his more natural position as a 3-4 OLB.

Last edited:

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
McDonald was a player I kind of looked at before the college football season. I was intrigued with other pass rushers in the draft, most have been kind of disappointing. But now looking at McDonald again has me really intrigued with him as a 2nd or 1st round prospect for the Seahawks to target.

I'm going to try and watch some Iowa State games to get a better look at him. But going off the videos below, he has great initial quickness, good bend, awesome spin move, he looks really fluid with his movements. It looks like he is used a lot as a 3-4 defensive end, which seems like they are not making the best use of his skill set. For us he would be playing his more natural position as a 3-4 OLB.

I agree especially if you can put a good/decent 5 technique DT next to McDonald

BASF

Reaction score
Problem with taking him is that we already have several OLB under contract next season and a lot of very real holes due to having only one or two players under contract next season. With our cap situation, we are going to need to fill those holes with rookies.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I could see McDonald initially a situational pass rusher than progress from there. I don’t have a problem drafting a player that is higher on your board at a position that isn’t a big need vs over reaching on a player of immediate need

My train of thought is draft the best player available that fits your system. One example is if Carter is gone Anderson is the assumed player but if you feel another player is a better fit take the other player