Is Baldwin even a decent slot guy?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawksurething":3vag3x9t said:
Scottemojo":3vag3x9t said:
Chukarhawk":3vag3x9t said:
IF you could pick between Baldwin and Bobby Engram in his prime I would take Engram every time. Do we need to upgrade at that position? Seems like we can do better.
I am convinced that if Baldwin was on a team like the Broncos or Patriots, he would have 100 plus catches per year.

Wrong Peyton dogged the hawks & choose to meet with the cards & broncos,while refusing to even meet with the hawks cause he did not want our WR corp . fact !

In the media. They kept ragging on the hawks. Peyton even thought the bronocs is his best chance to win. http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId= ... rc=desktop

Peyton would not even give hawks the curtousy to meet with the hawks ! http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2014/01/ ... er-broncos

He shewed our beloved coach & GM away like flies after they extended hospitalities to him,yet he went out of his way for the NFC cards & broncos. Peyton makes me sick !

With that said Baldwin is a good slot WR,he can be a pro bowler at that position as long as it is Wilson throwing him the ball,instead of Peyton's ducks that get WRs creamed ! ;)
I said if Baldwin was on the Broncos, not if Peyton was on the Hawks.

Reading comp can be your friend, you should try it. Also, try not to sidetrack every thread with your weird ass anti Peyton rants.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawksurething":3pgcczq1 said:
Scottemojo":3pgcczq1 said:
Chukarhawk":3pgcczq1 said:
IF you could pick between Baldwin and Bobby Engram in his prime I would take Engram every time. Do we need to upgrade at that position? Seems like we can do better.
I am convinced that if Baldwin was on a team like the Broncos or Patriots, he would have 100 plus catches per year.

Wrong Peyton dogged the hawks & choose to meet with the cards & broncos,while refusing to even meet with the hawks cause he did not want our WR corp . fact !

In the media. They kept ragging on the hawks. Peyton even thought the bronocs is his best chance to win. http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId= ... rc=desktop

Peyton would not even give hawks the curtousy to meet with the hawks ! http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2014/01/ ... er-broncos

He shewed our beloved coach & GM away like flies after they extended hospitalities to him,yet he went out of his way for the NFC cards & broncos. Peyton makes me sick !

With that said Baldwin is a good slot WR,he can be a pro bowler at that position as long as it is Wilson throwing him the ball,instead of Peyton's ducks that get WRs creamed ! ;)

Peyton dodged us for a whole lot of reasons, but he would not have been given carte blanche control of the offense here since Pete wants a running game and not a Stat padding performance.

He would have been a leader but not the worshipped God he thinks he is in Denver thanks to Elway, and previously in Indy. Mostly we didn't have a O line that protected, all he had to do was watch game tape of us with Hass and Whitehurst as well as TJack back there. He was coming back from neck surgery, he did not want to get his uniform dirty or be in a wheelchair.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Baldwin has everything you want in a slot guy. Runs great routes, is tough as nails, has swagger , catches the ball and is illusive after the catch. He isnt a decent slot receiver no, hes an elite one. End of story.

themunn

Reaction score
Engram in his prime is when exactly? Baldwin's 2011, 2013 and 2014 seasons in a far less pass-happy offense were better in production than every one of Engram's seasons as a Seahawk bar 2007, where Hasselbeck tossed the ball 562 times - more than 100 times more than the most Wilson has attempted in his short career

dopeboy206

Reaction score
The problem with Baldwin is he needs to stop getting butthurt by the media and play football.

Rob12

Reaction score
Baldwin in the slot is pure win.

He's a solid No. 2 on the other side of a legit No. 1.

But he is NOT a No. 1 and never will be.

randomation

Reaction score
If we could get a true no. 1 stick ADB back in the slot have Richardson on the other side and stick Matthews in a hybrid TE/WR position we could give opposing DBs nightmares. The thing is, it all hinges on getting a true no. 1 while keeping a running back that they still have to fear.

A

Anonymous

I don't get the whole #1/#2/#3 WR thing. Why is it important to rank them?

It's like we need to decide ahead of time who is going to be catching the most balls or something. Or better yet, help the opponent prepare.

Wide-outs, a slot guy, and a tight end.

done.

:roll:

Throwdown

Reaction score
I know there is no such thing as a stupid question... But this ones breaking the mold.

A

Anonymous

Throwdown":2kmmdtxw said:
I know there is no such thing as a stupid question... But this ones breaking the mold.

Hey, there's no such things as a stu...

:mrgreen:

OP
OP
Chukarhawk

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Baldwin is a more dynamic than Bobby but I think Bobby was more reliable. I think Baldwin would be much more effective if we had a true number one that could help free up the other receivers.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
One of the problems with the "true #1 talk" is that when people say "true #1" it seems like they're really talking about four or five guys in the league. Basically you need to be an All Pro to count.

It doesn't make any sense. There are tons of guys who just dominated at the WR position last year who a lot of people don't count as a true #1 (e.g. Jeremy Maclin, Golden Tate, Emmanuel Sanders, Randall Cobb were all top 10 receivers).

maybe one way to do it would be to say that "True #1s" are the top half or top two thirds of #1 WRs in the league.

If you we go by that metric, we're basically talking about the threshold being around 1,0000 yards and five or six touchdowns to be a True #1 WR.

As for Baldwin, last year he basically reproduced what Tate did the year before. Given how little the Hawks throw, I think he definitely counts as a "True #1" by a more sensible metric than the "Top 5 = "True #1" folk formula.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Good points all, Popeye. Baldwin has been asked to be our leading receiver and has done a good job of it. If we were to get a superstar beast of a receiver, Baldwin would slip into the #2 slot and excel, probably with better numbers than he's put up so far. I'd liken it very much to the situation T.J. Houshmandzadeh was in while in Cincinnati. With Chad Johnson playing across from him, he put up great numbers--far better numbers than when he was asked to be the #1 guy on a team.

Not that I'm comparing Baldwin and Housh at all, just that there would be similarities in the number comparisons should we get a "true #1" receiver to augment that position.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3vtr8i24 said:
One of the problems with the "true #1 talk" is that when people say "true #1" it seems like they're really talking about four or five guys in the league. Basically you need to be an All Pro to count..

IMO a "true #1" is a WR that;

1. Teams have to gameplan for
2. Requires double coverage or help most of the time
3. Makes big plays when you need him to
4. Red Zone monster

Doug fits none of these categories. He occasionally makes big plays, but not often enough. Doug would be a nightmare for teams in the slot if he was on a team with an elite receiver..........kinda like how Golden blew up this year opposite Megatron.

So yeah he's a decent slot guy, I'd say he's even an above average slot guy. But he needs help around him so he's not getting the other team's best DB like what happened in the SB. Cause he can shred slot DB's.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
2012 = #3 = Awesome
2013 = #2 = Good
2012 = #1 = Meh

DB is a solid #3, capable of being a #2, but not good enough to be the #1. That's my assessment. If Sidney Rice did not retire and Zach Miller managed to stay healthy, I think the Hawks would have never fallen behind the Cards, needed the miracle comeback against GB, and sure as hell would have beat the Pats. I am amazed the Hawks made it as far as they did in all honesty.

Could you just imagine if: Sidney did not retire, the team stayed healthy (thinking Miller, Mebane especially), and Percy was not some head case in the locker room. Team may have went 14/15 wins and sure hell repeat.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":33bv7p0p said:
I have a feeling Baldwin is gonna feel dissed and go on a dumb rant about this thread.

My favorite rant:

Y'all who doubted us.........

Media:

- WHO WAS DOUBTING YOU?!? YOU ARE THE DEFENDING SB CHAMPS PLAYING AT HOME!!!

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Baldwin is a good WR and if he had someone that could take some pressure off him once in a while he would be even better. I look at Baldwin as the guy that can beat a teams 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc DB's on a consistent basis, but will struggle against teams with quality upper end defensive backs. Unless Seattle can pick up a good WR or TE to take some pressure off Baldwin he will be gameplaned against as the teams #1 WR and that will limit his numbers and open it up for guys like Mathews, Kearse, Richardson, Miller, Willson, etc who will need to make plays.

It would be interesting to see Seattle with a guy like Fitz, Megatron, Jones, Byant, Johnson, Marshall, Beckham Jr, etc on one side with Baldwin and the other guys spread out, this offense with Lynch and Wilson running and passing would be nearly unstopable, Oh to dream.

hawksurething

Reaction score
http://www.hawkblogger.com/2015/02/doug ... relle.html

The anonymous guy in the comment section of this blog about Baldwin being open...broke it down to show Baldwin was not open 10 times. Only 3 times he says.

But I count only 2 really,the 3rd time is borderline but is still a valid argument.

I love Baldwin the same way Deion Sanders does. He says Baldwin is just average #1 because he tells the truth. But Baldwin. Is amazing on sideline catches, has good hands,runs excellent routes,good quickness. His weakness is he does not get off the press vs good CBs & does not get lots of TDs like a #1 WR should with a stud run game pulling 8 in the box.

With Lynch any True #1 WR should have at the very least 1200 yards & 8 TDs every year.

Baldwin my be a horrible #1 with only 3 TDs at that spot( killing his value on the market at that spot)...but he is a amazing slot WR. Watch him become a pro bowler from the slot and get a huge contract in free agency. :)

Latest posts