Is it just me or?

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I have been major league skeptical all year. Seeing the talent we lost go, seeing our inconsistency this year, some of these nagging injury bugs. I figured, *maybe* a brief playoff berth, at best win one then done.

Watching the performance against the 49ers a couple weeks back and my faith was at it's lowest. It stillbugs me we lost that. Our team shouldn't have lost that game, we played terribly, particularly defensively.

But last night, watching what we put together against the Chiefs? Well I still think one and done or win one then done is as likely as anything, but seeing how we handled KC, I think we could do this. Of course we'll have to see how it goes, but that was an impressive handling of a quality opponent. Granted it was at home, and I'm not seing it as some sign that we will go deep in the playoffs, but I do think it shows we have a team that very well could. Not that we will, but we have the kind of talent that can.

No matter what it has shown we can field a hell of a team and was a worthile season no matter how it ends. Gives me a lot of confidence that even if we got bounced from the playoffs in the first round, that next year, we are going to contend for the division tile, no doubt. :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
That said I hope we start developing someone behind Wilson. Great as he is (and he is) he is aging, we need to think about the future, particularly at that position. That's the one area my faith in Pete is weakest. I HOPE he doesn't over value Wilson and he gets someone in the wings. We need to think that way to succeed long term.

Osprey

Reaction score
Barring major injury Russ should be playing for the next decade. His game may need to evolve and it won't be peak Russ, but still franchise level. No need to go Tommy Maddox on the franchise.

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Osprey":2tm03iai said:
Barring major injury Russ should be playing for the next decade. His game may need to evolve and it won't be peak Russ, but still franchise level. No need to go Tommy Maddox on the franchise.

I just think a team should always be developing taent in that area. A capable backup is a damn fine thing to have, both in a tough season in case of injury, and as trading stock in the off season.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":3ccrna6b said:
That said I hope we start developing someone behind Wilson. Great as he is (and he is) he is aging, we need to think about the future, particularly at that position. That's the one area my faith in Pete is weakest. I HOPE he doesn't over value Wilson and he gets someone in the wings. We need to think that way to succeed long term.

Aging? He is barely into his prime years.

Osprey

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":2bd9bpd7 said:
I just think a team should always be developing taent in that area. A capable backup is a damn fine thing to have, both in a tough season in case of injury, and as trading stock in the off season.
Big difference between back-up and successor.
That said, think Seattle's current strategy covers it: invested in Hundley for back-up / playing insurance this year and have McGough on the PS for future development.

SlickRick

Reaction score
I think Seattle's doing the we will cross that bridge when we get there. Russell Wilson has a history of being durable, isnt old & solid. Maybe in a few years they'll visit the possibility. As of now I think their fine with what they have

HawkerD

Reaction score
they are 5 years at least from having to worry about the successor. Injuries can happen at any time but thats life in the NFL. No sense in wasting a high draft pick on a QB at this juncture.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think they have a couple in the wings, you can't replace Wilson, but you can develop guys with no pressure. Remember nobody thought we had any depth this year because you just didn't see them play yet, trust Pete knows what he is doing, you show case these guys to much and they get plucked off the roster and like Daniels are gone.

We won't bring in anyone that is going to challenge Wilson realistically for about 5 more years unless he gets a significant injury god forbid.

Ya think the Packers are happy we grabbed Hundley off their roster when Mr. Rodgers has been Gimped.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I think Russell's durability has allowed them to have a more project based attitude towards backup and 3rd string/practice squad QBs. It allows you to use the higher draft picks on positions of need else where. I don't doubt though that if someone they had rated extremely high fell far enough to them that they would draft them. I hope timing allows lightening to strike again and we find a guy who has all the tools, but is undervalued and needs a couple of years to develop. It would be perfect if it happened in about 5 years and he'd be ready in 7 from right now. That would be perfect give or take a couple of years either way depending on Russell's health and any other unforeseen problems.

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
But y'all are missing the major point of my thread here.

I wasn't really a believer all year, this Chiefs victory won me over. Now, if we go to or even win the Superb Owl, I'd have to say I won't be that surprised. Before the vicory, I'd have said we haven't a prayer. I think not only the way they won it, but the timing of the win, a lot of factors make this just the kind of victory that can propel an otherwise competetive, but not altogether dominant team to greatness. At least that's how it seems to me. I think the win will feed the team much needed confidence at exactly the right time.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, you just CHOSE to not believe. It happens. Enjoy the ride. There were plenty of people claiming they would get blown out in that game. How cute. They RARELY get blown out under Pete. It was just another in a long series of big wins that people said they had no chance. When will people learn? This isn't a big shock that they won on Sunday night. When they are in prime time, this is what happens.

StoneCold

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":sfy8q7kl said:
Osprey":sfy8q7kl said:

I've been impressed with the way Hundlebeebus handles himself at the coin toss. We're good in this dept.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":16nathrj said:
But y'all are missing the major point of my thread here.

I wasn't really a believer all year, this Chiefs victory won me over. Now, if we go to or even win the Superb Owl, I'd have to say I won't be that surprised. Before the vicory, I'd have said we haven't a prayer. I think not only the way they won it, but the timing of the win, a lot of factors make this just the kind of victory that can propel an otherwise competetive, but not altogether dominant team to greatness. At least that's how it seems to me. I think the win will feed the team much needed confidence at exactly the right time.

I like how you threw in that they will "likely go one and done........." what, do you want a medal for not believing in this team until they were in the playoffs? Hey guys, everything is right in the world. Seahawks4life believes in this team now, after a week 16 win and guaranteed playoff birth.

There are a whole lot of people on this site that have some crow to eat. You should be flocking to various social media platforms to apologize to guys like Pete, John and Russ for being such pukey people, and constantly calling for their jobs.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A good portion of the year, plenty were saying this team would suck and/or called for us to lose any time we went up against a good team. First it was "they haven't beaten anyone" and how did that turn out?
That being said, looks like some are actually admitting they are wrong, nice to see. We all look at it our own way. I'd rather be right about a positive outlook than wrong about some negative outlook. But, that doesn't make any of us more of a fan than someone else. Some choose to believe, some don't. We all love the Hawks right? I should hope so. Even if it really hurts for some to admit they could actually be wrong about something. :lol:

Hawknballs

Reaction score
By the time Russ needs to be replaced at QB, I think the norm in the league will be for rookie QB's to be playing right away. We've seen the success some have had and this whole thing where you risk "ruining" a guy always sounded absurd to me. You either get it, put in the work, and play well or you don't. If you're mentally weak to where some early career struggles will turn you into a crappy player, it was gonna happen anyways. Obviously there are injury exceptions to this rule; RG3 probably would have had a much better career if he had sat, learned to slide, etc.

as stated, yeah find a good backup, but we are a long ways off from a 'next in line' guy.

I know there is speculation that Russ will be in for a big payday, and while I don't expect him to take some bargain basement deal to stay here, I think if he feels like staying here is his best chance to win, especially if Pete stays, his deal will be workable. He has always preached consistency, nothing could be less consistent than starting elsewhere with a new coach and a new team.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":gqsd6odd said:
By the time Russ needs to be replaced at QB, I think the norm in the league will be for rookie QB's to be playing right away. We've seen the success some have had and this whole thing where you risk "ruining" a guy always sounded absurd to me. You either get it, put in the work, and play well or you don't. If you're mentally weak to where some early career struggles will turn you into a crappy player, it was gonna happen anyways. Obviously there are injury exceptions to this rule; RG3 probably would have had a much better career if he had sat, learned to slide, etc.

as stated, yeah find a good backup, but we are a long ways off from a 'next in line' guy.

I know there is speculation that Russ will be in for a big payday, and while I don't expect him to take some bargain basement deal to stay here, I think if he feels like staying here is his best chance to win, especially if Pete stays, his deal will be workable. He has always preached consistency, nothing could be less consistent than starting elsewhere with a new coach and a new team.

I agree with you for the most part. But don't forget that Russ played successfully in college under two different coaches and teams, and has now made a transition to a new OC, too.

I do expect that his role would be expanded playing under another coach, but the philosophies of the two men may not be as close a Pete and Russ. It would be difficult for Russ to leave what is a winning formula, year-in and year-out.

He will still get paid, too.

Latest posts