Is It Safe To Say PRich Is A Bust?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Ok so ... semantics.... He can't bring what the team needs from his position. He may not be a bust as a "player" but his pick has certainly been a bust for the team. Very little return on investment so far.

King Dog

Reaction score
If you want to call him a bust because of draft position, that's fine. This league is all about opportunities. He's healthy again, his opportunity will come.

hawk45

Reaction score
Wilson was able to find Lockett deep, crappy OL or not. As a deep threat Lockett has so far been a bust on this team. Not to say he couldn't go somewhere thinner at the position and contribute.

2_0_6

Reaction score
IF P-Rich was healthy and contributing, Lockett would probably not be a Seahawk. It seems like they are similar type players, and no real need to keep 2 long term.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
P-Rich is the type of player who disappears the whole year, then he'll make a crazy, game-saving catch down the line and everyone will be so happy he's on the team.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I'm glad he is on our team. Especially if Lockette can't heal up. He is a very talented back up capable of stepping up and having a big game and making big catches should he be needed.

Mick063

Reaction score
There is one, and only one way to measure a NFL player.

Does his play measure up to his pay?

I would say that similar to James Carpenter, Bruce Irvin, Byron Maxwell, etc., etc., Paul Richardson is well worth his rookie deal. He provides depth, contributes as part of the rotation, and doesn't break the bank. No he isn't a bust because he isn't expensive, but if he wants a raise, he will have to show more. Fortunately for Richardson, he still has time to do it, however, every game he is not noticeably contributing, his next contract is taking a hit.

The big question is.........what kind of money will his agent demand when his rookie deal expires? He might come cheap, while having time to hone his craft and develop chemistry with Wilson.

You don't write off players because they are not all stars. You write off players because their production does not match their salary demands, or keep pace with the league minimum salary, or can be easily approximated by a cheaper rookie deal.

People have to learn that a roster of all stars is expensive and unsustainable. What you are looking for is "value relative to salary" for the purpose of supplementing a core group of All Pros.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Mick063":jcj75iwk said:
There is one, and only one way to measure a NFL player.

Does his play measure up to his pay?

I would say that similar to James Carpenter, Bruce Irvin, Byron Maxwell, etc., etc., Paul Richardson is well worth his rookie deal. He provides depth and doesn't break the bank. No he isn't a bust because he isn't expensive, but if he wants a raise, he will have to show more. Fortunately for Richardson, he still has time to do it. Every game he is not noticeably contributing, his next contract is taking a hit.

The big question is.........what kind of money will his agent demand when his rookie deal expires? He might come cheap, while having time to hone his craft and develop chemistry with Wilson.

People have to learn that a roster of all stars is expensive and unsustainable. What you are looking for is "value relative to salary" for the purpose of supplementing a core group of All Pros.

Could it be that this is exactly why his targets are limited right now? We've got guys who can move the chains, so he isn't exactly necessary on the field. If he inks a Hawk-friendly deal for his next contract, then we get him for several years with only improvement ahead in terms of learning and chemistry.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
He does have excellent straight line speed and with the depth we have at all the receiver positions combined with the wide distribution of targets, he's not going to get more than a few chances a game to make a play. For a 4th or 5th receiver you probably couldn't ask for a better profile.

Conversely, so many folks couldn't wait to unload Kearse and Graham and pegged PRich as our #2. A lot of fans were completely enamored with this guy, in large part simply because he was a 2nd round choice. On balance, I don't see him progressing beyond a 3rd or 4th best option for us but that's also testament to the variety of playmakers and unique, deep blend of receivers we have.

themunn

Reaction score
Tanner McEvoy has 2 catches and he's outplayed Richardson?

What world are we living in where you can say that? Because one of his catches went for a TD when he was wide open? Richardson's catch against the Jets set up a TD on the next play and was significantly more difficult and impressive in every regard http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-...-Wilson-hits-Paul-Richardson-on-back-shoulder

Richardson only has 5 catches but every single one of them has gone for a 1st down, including two third down plays. He hasn't dropped any easy passes (as far as I can recall), so it's not like he's screwing the pooch for us.

When 15-20 of Wilson's targets are going to Baldwin and Graham every game, it's up to the rest of the receivers to make the most of their opportunities.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
mikeak":3u12d0l4 said:
Three weeks ago Graham was a bust with the Seahawks

That's a ridiculous argument. Graham has at least been productive in his career and has returned to productivity. Richardson has never been there.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
In run heavy formations, Richardson is often the only wide receiver on the field. He's there for play action deep bombs, which we just haven't got to use quite yet. On the flea flicker this past game, he was the deep target, but got doubled on the post.

A time will come when a team will bite on the play action and he will get an opportunity to make a deep play. Hopefully it's this Sunday night in the desert

A

Anonymous

Hawk-Lock":1695mo9f said:
Five games into the season and he has 5 catches for 73 yards. He is only on the field for about 10-15% of the snaps. Getting outplayed by Tanner McEvoy. I think the ship has sailed on PRich.

I wonder if he would have been a different player if not for the all the injuries. It's so hard for young players to start their career injured. They just fall behind. I worry the same for Procise PROSISE.

For the love of everything found sacred, holy, or otherwise revered, the man's name is spelled with an "S".

That's "Prosise".

:34853_doh:

...and no, I do not consider Paul Richardson to be among the players I would classify as un-worthy to don the colors and occupy a space on the 53.

Sure, he has had limited snaps, but in the grand scheme of things, his upside far outweighs the downside in the mind of this observer. An argument can be made that thus far in the season his contributions in actual catches is down on the list, but the respect he was given on routes when he wasn't targeted opened-up catches for other team members. His one notable catch this season, making the top-five for the week on NFL Network, was one that positioned us nicely into the redzone for an eventual score against the Jets.

Lest we not forget that this team has, at times, kept certain assets on ice until needed to fulfill a particular aspect of a given scheme later in the post season, and even in the Superbowl. Particularly those players recovering from significant injury. Perhaps Mr. Richardson is part of a master plan? His speed and athleticism position him as such, IMO, and he has outstanding body control and hands.

I say he stays.

sutz

Reaction score
I guess it is safe to say it. I don't necessarily think it is accurate. ;)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A bust?

Not quite yet, but I'm close. I really thought Richardson would step up with Lockett being injured to take over that deep threat role to help our explosive downfield play capability.

Not sure what the problem is, he's healthy and had a good game against the Rams. But we've seen more of McEvoy than him of late.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'd just like to see PRich get a chance. I think the guy he would most likely leap-frog for snaps is Lockett, as they are the most similar.

I honeslty don't pay enough attention to PRich, but can he run most routes? I was always under the impression he was a straight line deep threat. For instance, Torrey Smith was always known for having a limited route tree, mainly running deep go routes. PRich can probably run a great hitch route based on how much respect DB's will give him because of his speed.

It may be too early to label him a "bust," but I think we can all agree he hasn't lived up to expectations. I'm still surprised he hasn't gotten more snaps with Lockett being limited.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
No.

I flat out refuse to consider injuries in this equation. This is a violent game and injuries happen. There is absolutely no ability for any player to 'will' their way to an injury free career. It simply isn't in their control when a cleat will catch in the turf or a player rolls into their knee or a ligament tears when landing on a jump. A bust IMO has to be a label applied to a player who should have done more with the opportunities he had. Richardson's resume is at best incomplete.

When he was healthy and was afforded opportunities, he produced very well.

EDIT: And case in point, since we're talking about PRich. The one player that had consistently been seen as the player we missed on in that draft in our dogged pursuit of Richardson (Joel Bitonio at OT), is now on his second season ending IR stint. So even the ultimate grass is greener prospect that was the embodiment of why we missed on Paul, is equally as snakebit by injury.

Latest posts