Is it time for Sherman to just shut up?

HawksHawksHawks

Reaction score
If it doesn't affect team chemistry I don't really care. But the Times reported this morning that Pete called a special team meeting to discuss morale, personal issues, etc. When that starts happening I think it's time for the players to shut up and play.

On another note, criticizing the media is such a lame thing to do, both on Richard's part and the fans'. We have one football team, one baseball team, a soccer team, and some college teams. It's not like we are LA or New York. Does everyone here really expect the media to cover a game and then just disappear until Friday? The paper is going to print a sports section every single day, so they have to find or create stories to fill it. That's just the way it is. It doesn't make them "self-righteous."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawksHawksHawks":22y0om4x said:
If it doesn't affect team chemistry I don't really care. But the Times reported this morning that Pete called a special team meeting to discuss morale, personal issues, etc. When that starts happening I think it's time for the players to shut up and play."

Or as Sherman snarkily called it "Pete's kumbaya meeting."

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Nope.

Can't wait for the SB week if we are in.
Sherm doing Lynch's act would be fitting.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It's time for him to re - focus his aggression towards the other team.

I like when he's talking trash against other teams, but when it's focused in the wrong direction it's an issue

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'm more concerned at the fact he's been getting beat by average to below average guys. J.J. Nelson ate his lunch last week.

2_0_6

Reaction score
If we were 14-1 or 13-2 would you find it irritating?

As much as I think there is a time and place for everything and blowing up on the sidelines is a bit much, I get where he is coming from.

razor150

Reaction score
My criticism the same I've always had of him. He has to consider the time and place.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2p03drha said:
HawksHawksHawks":2p03drha said:
If it doesn't affect team chemistry I don't really care. But the Times reported this morning that Pete called a special team meeting to discuss morale, personal issues, etc. When that starts happening I think it's time for the players to shut up and play."

Or as Sherman snarkily called it "Pete's kumbaya meeting."

Heard his take on the meeting and hated it. I love Sherman but he's driving me nuts the past few weeks. I can guarantee Pete is tired of it too.

Foghawk

Reaction score
I appreciate Sherm's play on the field and his verbal gamesmanship towards his opponents. However, I'm disappointed in his verbal negativity towards the coaches this year in public. It's a bad look.

Largent80

Reaction score
I would say that if you want Sherm to shut up, then maybe point the finger at yourself and SHUT UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1556zc2o said:
whats his deal? such an intelligent guy now hes going serious off. is he trying to take heat off the team and put it on him? does he want out of seattle? maybr time to focus on play on the field...

Definitely stepped up the vox with Earl not being around. I don't think that's coincidental. Calling a team meeting "kumbayah" is a little more arrogant and maverick than usual. That implies those meetings are a waste of time for the vets. He should just stuff and ball, if you ask me.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Sherman has every right to be annoyed.

The defense has repeatedly saved games when the offense could do nothing. Multiple times this year.

Now that the defense has basically spent itself into the ground, and in fact injured key players, the offense isn't doing anything. Sure, we score a lot, though to be fair some of those are on short fields given by the defense.

Regardless, the offense is inconsistent at best.

Our best player on offense is now injured so that is part of it, but regardless when you consistently lay yourself on the line to preserve games and get no help from the other side? It grates on you. And I pointed out this would happen back when the defense was consistently keeping us in games and the offense was doing nothing.

The issue, is that we have resources at offense we just use them poorly. And that clearly pisses Sherman off. A guy who AS A JOB is tasked with understanding offenses and how to stop them, at least enough to perform his task in the secondary. His assessment is the offensive playcalling is wanting and that is costing us games.

I think he clearly has credibility there.

As for getting rid of Sherman? HAHAHAHAHA

Getting rid of Sherman would be the surest way to assure that our team does worse, near term, mid term and almost any other term you can think of. Attitude or not, the team is worse without Sherman and Sherman does things that other players cannot replicate.

The Seahawks are better because they have better players. This should be evident when we lose those players and the quality of play nosedives. It is not a magical system (like NE as an example) where you can swap players out with impunity and get near the same results. We depend on the players outplaying the other guy. So removing one of our best players, even if he pees on the coach's shoes, will result in results that are poorer, not better.

And again, Sherman, as a key cog in the defense, has every right to call out the other side when they are squandering opportunities playing to have the defense keep us in the game when the defense is physically unable to assure that now.

Sherman is right. He is smart and outspoken but as another poster pointed out - he speaks truth to power and when doing so is usually justified & later vindicated.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2twc65n8 said:
His act has definitely been wearing thin this year. So my answer is yes.

He's needed of course, but about 2 years ago I stopped liking him.

He's been acting like a prima donna and spitting the dummy on the sidlelines towards teammates and coaches.

After sub-par plays by the secondary (or perhaps a good play by the opposing team's offense) he sometimes raises both arms in the air with that pouting expression on his face.

And the comments toward Moore make him look arrogant.

Rob12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2fsuw2yv said:
Shut up? No. Stop criticizing his own teammates and coaches? Absolutely.

I never had a problem with Sherman screaming and yelling at Skip Bayless or Crabtree...........but now he's directing that negativity inside at his own team. That's not cool with me.

100 x this.

redhawk253

Reaction score
No. Pete and his underlings need to be held accountable for the terrible coaching this season. In years past we won despite the mistakes coaching kept making due to player talent and luck.. but the bad clock management.. soft zone defense throughout games and in waning moments.. an oc that cannot for the life of him call to the strengths of his players.. roll wilson out to deflect the crap line and target baldwin and jimmy who both excell at getting open in scramble situations.. also target jimmy in the redzone.. isnt that why we got him?!?!?! Stop running the ball repeatedly up the gut.. throw some more read option in there.. i love wilson but more keepers.. gotta figure a way to keep the d lines honest.. the combo of designed rollouts and read options to the outside would do so.. plus wilson is so dangerous on those.

Basically im glad sherman has spoken up in the direction of the coaches...

Im more than glad that the offense got boo'd b4 the half last week and pete was forced to acknowledge it by the reporter b4 the half. Diff offense came back out.. quick hit.. take what they give ya.. seemed like wilsons game from the 2nd half of last season.. now if pete can just get these guys to employ that offense right out the gate....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Ozzy

Reaction score
Rob12":xmtilhia said:
Sgt. Largent":xmtilhia said:
Shut up? No. Stop criticizing his own teammates and coaches? Absolutely.

I never had a problem with Sherman screaming and yelling at Skip Bayless or Crabtree...........but now he's directing that negativity inside at his own team. That's not cool with me.

100 x this.

Agreed, tough to disagree with this one. I loved his antics with Bayless and Crabtree. I'm not a huge fan of calling out teammates or mocking Pete's methods right before the playoffs to the press.