Is JS up for this ?

xray

Reaction score
Without PC as his ' boss ' , mentor and safety net ; can Schneider pull this off by himself ; or will PC still be pulling the strings from his new ' advisory ' position from the wings ? I'm not sure he's ever made an important decision without PC , since he's been with the Hawks .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Absolutely.

In fact I think John's been actively vetting coaching candidates for months. A successfully run company and/or organization doesn't knee jerk a monumental decision like firing your most successful coach in franchise history.

So I'd bet a lot of money that Jody told John months ago that this was probably the direction the team was going, and to begin the vetting process to get out ahead of other franchises and GM's.

I have faith in John, he's one of, if not THE smartest most savvy GM in the NFL.

Jac

Reaction score
I'd argue that he's better off to serve in a traditional GM capacity and not be hamstrung by Carroll's immediacy needs. And I assume the advisory position is way to respectfully paper over this departure. I don't think it's a role that will have any meaningful say in any decision.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The draft sans Pete will be very interesting this year. Last two years they drafted BPA, but it didn't seem like the players drafted fit any particular vision or team identity...

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I'd argue that he's better off to serve in a traditional GM capacity and not be hamstrung by Carroll's immediacy needs. And I assume the advisory position is way to respectfully paper over this departure. I don't think it's a role that will have any meaningful say in any decision.
Pete’s advisory role:
Draft day-“hey John there’s a 6’4” CB from east southwest northern state that looks like our kind of guy.”

hoxrox

Reaction score
I think Pete's advisory role, if any, will be from a program building standpoint. If won't be any specifics about who to draft, scheme or how to tackle.

Jac

Reaction score
I think Pete's advisory role, if any, will be from a program building standpoint. If won't be any specifics about who to draft, scheme or how to tackle.
I think it's an honorary role that allows him to pursue another HC job if interested. If it were real, he'd be VP of something.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Yep. Big picture, they couldn't have really handled this whole thing with much more class and smoothness.

renofox

Reaction score
I think it's an honorary role that allows him to pursue another HC job if interested. If it were real, he'd be VP of something.
Yep, he gets his ~$15M for 2024 if they fire him.

If, however, he takes a job elsewhere the picture changes quite a bit. Firstly, the team doesn't have to pay him the $15M.

Secondly, the Seahawks could demand draft picks in return for letting him out of his contract. Saints got a 1st and 2nd in exchange for a 3rd and Payton. I really doubt J&J would be hard-line on it as that could be viewed as an insult to PC. But you never know.

I'm pretty sure that J&J fully support the idea of PC taking a HC gig elsewhere for 2024.

Chawker

Reaction score
Its not john's chice, he is the GM... Pete is still the president of operation and has a say in who the next HC will be. John has nothing to do with hiring of the new HC, other then if he will be happy to work with him.

sutz

Reaction score
I just hope fans give him a season or two to get 'er done. I think we have a lot of good young talent on our team, so the new coach is not walking into a dumpster fire IMO. Of course the new coach is gonna want to make some changes, but I hope its not just burn it down and start from ground zero.

Torc

Reaction score
Its not john's chice, he is the GM... Pete is still the president of operation and has a say in who the next HC will be. John has nothing to do with hiring of the new HC, other then if he will be happy to work with him.
Pete was pretty clear in his press conference that the team has not yet determined what his role with the team will be, and he said several times that it's John's show now. I forget the exact words he used but it sure sounded like JS is in charge of the coaching hire. According to his wiki page at least, Pete still has the executive vice president title but we really don't know what that means yet.

Sherman also mentioned in his conversation on undisputed that after the dinner with Pete and former players last night, he doesn't think Pete is done coaching and could very well pursue another head coach gig on another team.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Where are you getting this from?? It was announced he's stepping down into an advisory role. On every other team in the NFL the GM hires the coach.

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
No doubt!

He's worked under and with Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren, Ted Thompson, Marty Schottenheimer, and Pete Carroll to name but a few of the finer football minds the league has ever known. His ability to find talent is unmatched as in Green Bay for example he pushed for Julian Edelman but was declined. He also liked Matt Flynn over Brian Brohm. Matt Flynn may not have been great but he had a serviceable career in the NFL for a seventh round pick compared to Brian Brohm, a second round pick, who was out of the league in less than four years and was beat out for the backup job by the said seventh round pick in their first year. Here John pushed for Russell Wilson after talking to Brett Bielema and was very impressed by Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes from multiple accounts. He has the ability to find and identify talent at the most critical spot and to find diamonds in the rough at others.

I'm comfortable and confident in John to take us back to where we belong. I just hope he continues to be unconventional with the head coach choice and doesn't go with the easy choice that's been circled by pundits. I respect the circled choice for all he did for us but it's time to rip the band-aid. We need new energy and a new voice that can grow with him versus the safety net of the overly familar.

Last edited: