Is Lane the answer at RCB?

Tical21

Reaction score
Curtis Crabtree mentioned today that he spoke with Lane, and Lane said that he put four years of good tape together, and it sounds like he plans to test the market. I really don't think we have a choice to but to sign him. We've seen what corners go for. Corners are kind of like pitchers, you can never have enough. Guys that can legitimately handle the slot are very rare in this league. I just don't know if we have a choice. I'd rather sign him than Irvin or Sweezy.

Davidess

Reaction score
chris98251":1d1tukf8 said:
Seisay, Mohammed CB 6-2 202 25 2 Nebraska is a guy I would watch, was injured and we still signed him.

Also some guys to watch would be the PS guys. I.e Stanley Jean-baptiste. he was a former 2nd round pick. touted as a Richard Sherman like CB. could be because of his length more so than his play but we shall see. we actually have a lot of CBs coming back next year from injury and/or PS. will be interesting.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Stanley-Jean Baptiste could surprise some people, wonder how he's looked on the PS.

Lane's a solid CB and I'd feel comfortable enough if he went in to 2016 as the starter, he's a lot better than Cary Williams.

Davidess

Reaction score
Tical21":13k2u1k8 said:
Curtis Crabtree mentioned today that he spoke with Lane, and Lane said that he put four years of good tape together, and it sounds like he plans to test the market. I really don't think we have a choice to but to sign him. We've seen what corners go for. Corners are kind of like pitchers, you can never have enough. Guys that can legitimately handle the slot are very rare in this league. I just don't know if we have a choice. I'd rather sign him than Irvin or Sweezy.

Just don't know if I see him getting much

Last year it was a groin injury that hampered him and than this year was the wrist/acl
if he does, good for him but I don't see it.

We got Tye smith aswell. was on the active roster but only activated a couple times this year. must like him enough to not risk him on PS like Sokoli.

sutz

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":350pofdl said:
Do our corners actually play press coverage anymore or do they just sit back and give cushion? Seams to me we just aren't physical outside on the edges anymore.
It does seem like we play less press coverage these days. Maybe because we're having problems finding guys physical enough to do it.

Rob12

Reaction score
I like Lane a lot, but if he wants to test the market, let him. I think there's more talented players on the roster, but health is the question. I really like Simon, and think he's got a wonderful nasty streak, but he can't stay on the field. Seisay is another wild card that may end up being good. Tye Smith... It's already been said, this kid was on the 53 all season long so PC didn't want to even think about risking him on the PS. And of course, the draft is where it's at, and we typically do very well there.

I love Lane, but I don't think he's a No. 2 corner. If someone offers him No. 2 corner money, he's likely gone. But perhaps teams won't, and have learned from the Byron Maxwell signing. I can't imagine having to pay that guy $10M a season when he's not in a scheme that masks his many weaknesses. At one point in the season, he was literally the worst starting corner in the league. I think he rebounded a bit, but 10 million? There's always someone, and a team might throw $6-7M at Lane.

Davidess

Reaction score
Rob12":1a54iay1 said:
I like Lane a lot, but if he wants to test the market, let him. I think there's more talented players on the roster, but health is the question. I really like Simon, and think he's got a wonderful nasty streak, but he can't stay on the field. Seisay is another wild card that may end up being good. Tye Smith... It's already been said, this kid was on the 53 all season long so PC didn't want to even think about risking him on the PS. And of course, the draft is where it's at, and we typically do very well there.

I love Lane, but I don't think he's a No. 2 corner. If someone offers him No. 2 corner money, he's likely gone. But perhaps teams won't, and have learned from the Byron Maxwell signing. I can't imagine having to pay that guy $10M a season when he's not in a scheme that masks his many weaknesses. At one point in the season, he was literally the worst starting corner in the league. I think he rebounded a bit, but 10 million? There's always someone, and a team might throw $6-7M at Lane.

6-7 for lane? that might be pushing it for someone who has missed 23 games since he came into the league. I can see him doing between 2-3m maybe on a prove it deal but that is high side. It will be interesting but I think he will be back and attempt to maximize his contract for 2017 Free agency.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Davidess":r2no8jpr said:
Rob12":r2no8jpr said:

6-7 for lane? that might be pushing it for someone who has missed 23 games since he came into the league. I can see him doing between 2-3m maybe on a prove it deal but that is high side. It will be interesting but I think he will be back and attempt to maximize his contract for 2017 Free agency.

Yeah, no way is there enough film on Lane for a team to offer him $6-7 million.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Rob12":3f2kllm7 said:

Pete also mentioned George Farmer (Practice Squad), whom the thinks is showing a lot of promise. They have to see him in some games to know what the means, but he's a prospect worth keeping an eye on.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2rw2p0tu said:
Davidess":2rw2p0tu said:
Rob12":2rw2p0tu said:

Yeah, no way is there enough film on Lane for a team to offer him $6-7 million.

Agreed. He's spent more time on the bench and IR. 4 Yrs of tape, PFFFFT!!!

Throwdown

Reaction score
I mean I think he's good enough to be that but I wouldn't count out Tye Smith, Schnieder was pretty high about that guy after the draft. I hope they draft another to make for a good competition. I want that secondary hungry again. They didn't look as intense this year as they had in years past.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I hope they keep Lane. But if they don't, the competition is still going to be intense. Marcus Burley was playing really well this season in the nickel before and after his injury. Burley can be had next year for the league minimum. Tharold Simon has all the potential in the world to turn into a great boundary cornerback -- if he can remain healthy. Tye Smith flashed some impressive skill in the preseason. Sherman called Smith raw, but you could see the potential was there to develop into another Jeremy Lane-type corner with the potential to play inside or outside. Mohammed Seisay is a good athlete in the mold that they like for their boundary corners. That's a lot to work with in the competition.

themunn

Reaction score
Davidess":3dvpruth said:
Rob12":3dvpruth said:

That's only 6 games more than Maxwell, who scored a $63 million contract

hawknation2015

Reaction score
themunn":3axdb3na said:
Davidess":3axdb3na said:
Rob12":3axdb3na said:

That's only 6 games more than Maxwell, who scored a $63 million contract

Maxwell had a lot more games of tape under his belt. 16 games, plus three more as a starter in the playoffs, in 2013. Plus, another 17 games, including the playoffs, in the 2014 season. Maxwell had 31 games as a starter in 2013 and 2014.

In contrast, Lane has played in just 13 total regular season games the last two years due to injuries. Including the playoffs, Lane has started just four games in the last three seasons. That's a huge difference.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... neJe00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... xwBy00.htm

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Davidess":28e6kjgw said:
Rob12":28e6kjgw said:

Honestly if I were him I would resign with the hawks on a 1 year deal if possible and then if looking for a big payday leave after next season...He has been very injury prone so for a team to give him a bunch of money would be shocking to me.

The eagles gave 3 mil or so to Thurmond on a 1 year deal this past offseason. I dont see why Lane wouldnt get around that. Also speaking of Thurmond...I wonder if we could get him back TBH. He IS a FA and probably wont cost a lot.. He played in every game this year and id love to have him back. I thought he was really good just injured..like lane

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Definitely not the long term answer. I wouldn't mind seeing him hold down the fort for one more year though. As long as we can get him back cheap I'm alright.

Tical21

Reaction score
Lane will get more than 5 per. I think there is zero chance we go into next season with Shead, Smith, Simon & Seisay competing for that spot. Not that I don't like those guys, but we're not going into a season with an unknown at corner. So we're going to have to sign somebody. If we're going to give somebody 5-7 per year anyways, might as well be the guy that has proven he can play well in our system. Or, we can always go see some other veteran options. Or are we comfortable with Deshaun Shead? Love the kid, but he isn't a starting corner in our system.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Zorn76":yys4sdmu said:
Lane is ok, but Simon isn't legit.

We need open competition there next year.

I think Pete isn't sold on either, and that he'll be looking hard for somebody to better compliment RS.

I think you should go back and watch Simon play prior to his shoulder injury. He was looking like the best corner on the team and his ratings showed this too.

canfan

Reaction score
Happypuppy":26i9nswg said:
Is Walther Thurmond a free agent ? I'd sign him or try to trade for him with new coach etc there.

I don't know if anybody answered your question, but Walter Thurmond is a free agent this year. He played as a safety for the Eagles in 2015 on a 1 year $3,250,000 deal. He had 3 interceptions and 7 passes defensed. Still only 28 years old and with the coaching change in Philly he has no real ties anywhere. The talent is there, but he is also one puff of weed away from a 1 year suspension. Not sure if the Seahawks are willing to take another risk on his availability, given his history.

razor150

Reaction score
rideaducati":zc4aggzk said:
Zorn76":zc4aggzk said:
Lane is ok, but Simon isn't legit.

We need open competition there next year.

I think Pete isn't sold on either, and that he'll be looking hard for somebody to better compliment RS.

I think you should go back and watch Simon play prior to his shoulder injury. He was looking like the best corner on the team and his ratings showed this too.

Does that really matter though? Simon may have the tools and the talent but he has spent more time on IR then on the field. He's been injured more then Thurmond at this point in both of their careers. I'd love to see him healthy and stay healthy but I wouldn't make any plans about him manning the RCB spot anytime soon.