Is Mahomes better than Wilson?

Fade

Reaction score
getnasty":3qytexch said:
Fade":3qytexch said:
Put Mahomes on the Seahawks. Put Wilson on the Chiefs. What happens?

The Seahawks would be a better team because they'd 20 million more to spend in free agency while the Chiefs are probably not franchising Chris Jones and cutting Sammy Watkins to make the money work for Russell.

Nice strawman.

The question is, who is the better QB?

Russell Wilson #1 in WAR @ 4.08 > Patrick Mahomes @ 2.96
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-seattle-seahawks-qb-russell-wilson-pffs-most-valuable-player

Advanced metrics point to Wilson being better right now. Tight window throw %, Big time throws. Once you take these QBs out of their very different systems and the talent surrounding them, Wilson wins out.

But I fully understand normies thinking Mahomes is better because of the offense he plays in.

John63

Reaction score
Fade":23ll7f9r said:
getnasty":23ll7f9r said:
Fade":23ll7f9r said:
Put Mahomes on the Seahawks. Put Wilson on the Chiefs. What happens?

The Seahawks would be a better team because they'd 20 million more to spend in free agency while the Chiefs are probably not franchising Chris Jones and cutting Sammy Watkins to make the money work for Russell.

Nice strawman.

The question is, who is the better QB?

Russell Wilson #1 in WAR @ 4.08 > Patrick Mahomes @ 2.96
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-seattle-seahawks-qb-russell-wilson-pffs-most-valuable-player

Advanced metrics point to Wilson being better right now. Tight window throw %, Big time throws. Once you take these QBs out of their very different systems and the talent surrounding them, Wilson wins out.

But I fully understand normies thinking Mahomes is better because of the offense he plays in.

Bingo

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":39tsbbze said:
After his second year of starting I think Mahomes is a better QB than Russell was after his second year of starting.

Comparing Wilson going into year 9 to Mahomes going into year 3 is comparing apples to oranges, IMO.

I think practically everyone would also put them both in the top tier of QBs in the NFL (which for me this year probably consists of four guys), and more generally I think tiers (rather than raw rankings) is the correct way to think about players and their abilities (raw rankings is just way too fine grained to be meaningful).

The stats are pretty interesting.

Wilson had the same number of TDs as Mahomes, but with nearly 800 less yards (Mahomes also played less games).

I always got the feeling that Mahomes system allows him to move around the pocket as part of the play call, whereas Wilson, especially back in the day, was moving around the pocket because it had indeed collapsed.

A vision of control over chaos.

I think Wilson is better in the pocket now, hard to say back in 2013.

acer1240

Reaction score
Sorry folks....

I guess we are stuck with Russell Wilson.

Sad times indeed...

His velocity is not as good as Mahomes. We are doomed.

We should get Cutler. That dude has a cannon that is stronger than anyone's.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
acer1240":23f3bvrb said:
Sorry folks....

I guess we are stuck with Russell Wilson.

Sad times indeed...

His velocity is not as good as Mahomes. We are doomed.

We should get Cutler. That dude has a cannon that is stronger than anyone's.
Jeff George thinks you're wrong (he had an unreal arm too) but I get your point. :D

olyfan63

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":dly5mhvi said:
The experts at 710 just said Mahomes is the best QB in the NFL... with Wilson #2.

As someone else said... as we saw 2 weeks later, Mahomes has a history of getting it done in the clutch. Mahomes does have the stronger arm.

beaumaris":dly5mhvi said:
Russell Wilson best QB in the league right now,but Mahomes is still the man for the late decisive score. :2thumbs:

FIFY. I knew all along.
- Nostradamus