Is Pete Carroll a victim of his own success?

Boycie

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2qlkkj8q said:
You don't tank with a top 3 QB.

He's a victim of his own success in terms of the scheme that was so effective 8 years ago is no longer effective, but he refused to adjust said scheme

It is no longer effective because he doesn't have Kam, Sherm, and Earl in their prime like he did back then. His scheme was perfect because he had the personnel to execute it.

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
Pete Carroll’s problem is he got lucky with the draft and built a team so talented that they won a Super Bowl despite his atrocious offensive philosophy and vanilla defensive scheme.

Now reality has set in, and unless we get another miracle team capable of overcoming both the opponent and PC enough to go deep again the playoffs, we are at best a one and done paper tiger team.

But until then, we are still operating with a head coach who thinks his “formula” is the way to another Super Bowl when all it really is is a great way to keep to within 1 score to the Girl Scouts

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
So now the whole Pete Carroll era is boiled down to luck…I have heard it all.

You know what they call a coach that changes his philosophy on the whims of an Internet forum…unemployed

I can’t wait to listen to all the continued pissing and moaning about the Seahawks only making the playoffs for the next 4 years. I really hope Pete stays just to spite the haters on this site, 5 more one and done and half the people here will have coronaries screaming in all CAPS

Lulz

Fade

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":2v0hu2r9 said:
Jerhawk":2v0hu2r9 said:
You don't tank with a top 3 QB.

He's a victim of his own success in terms of the scheme that was so effective 8 years ago is no longer effective, but he refused to adjust said scheme

It is no longer effective because he doesn't have Kam, Sherm, and Earl in their prime like he did back then. His scheme was perfect because he had the personnel to execute it.

If you need HoF talent all over the field to execute your scheme, your scheme is trash.

============

To those damage controlling thinking the offense is gobbling up the bulk of the assets, you're dead ass wrong. You're ignoring that most of the recent draft capitol investment has gone to the defense. And I think the defense has some really good players, they shouldn't be a bottom of the league defense.

Day 1 & Day 2 picks: ie where the bulk of your starting players come from.

Defense spent: FOUR 1sts; TWO 2nds; and FOUR 3rds (10 picks total) - Aprox. Draft Value = 4326 pts.

Offense spent: ONE 1st (Penny lol): TWO 2nds: and ONE 3rd. (4 picks total) - Aprox. Draft Value = 1335 pts.

They've invested a ton into this defense, approximately 4x more. Young players are not developing in this defense in most cases they get worse the longer they stay.

Diggs (Pro Bowler)
Adams (All-Pro) 1st round pick; 1st round pick; 3rd round pick (highest paid safety in the NFL.)
Wagner (All-Pro) (was the highest paid MLB in the NFL still near the top.)
Dunlap (Pro Bowler)
Poona Ford (One of the best 1T's in the NFL, would be a probowler, but runstuffers don't make it.)
Alton Robinson (One of the highest graded DEs in the NFL.)
Al Woods (One of the highest grade 1T's in the NFL.)
DJ Reed (One of the higest graded LCs in the NFL last year, and in 1 game this year. RC not so much.)
Jordan Brooks 1st Round Pick
Darrell Taylor 2nd Round & 3rd Round Pick
Barton 3rd Round Pick
Marquis Blair 2nd Round pick
Collier 1st Round Pick
Rasheem Green 3rd Round Pick
Amadi (A really good nickel corner, until this year. Did he forget how to play football, or poor coaching?)
Ryan Neal (Just play's well when on the field, coaches keep finding a reason to NOT play him. Poor Coaching.)
+More

They have had plenty of assets to build this defense. Either it is poorly constructed or poorly coached. Both are on Pete as he is the architect and grandmaster of the defense.

Nearly all of these players are regressing and playing worse, most should be in the prime's of their careers and for the younger guys, up and coming. Poor Coaching.

Fade

Reaction score
Hawaii-hawk":1wwjfn20 said:
Pete Carroll’s problem is he got lucky with the draft and built a team so talented that they won a Super Bowl despite his atrocious offensive philosophy and vanilla defensive scheme.

Now reality has set in, and unless we get another miracle team capable of overcoming both the opponent and PC enough to go deep again the playoffs, we are at best a one and done paper tiger team.

But until then, we are still operating with a head coach who thinks his “formula” is the way to another Super Bowl when all it really is is a great way to keep to within 1 score to the Girl Scouts

You'll catch a lot of flak for this post I surmise, but it's the truth. And the truth hurts. Except it wasn't luck with the draft, it was skill. Pete had more knowledge of the players coming in, and Scot McCloughen was assisting those drafts.

Fade

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":1fzm7km0 said:

You know what they call a coach that changes his philosophy on the whims of an Internet forum…unemployed

I can’t wait to listen to all the continued pissing and moaning about the Seahawks only making the playoffs for the next 4 years. I really hope Pete stays just to spite the haters on this site, 5 more one and done and half the people here will have coronaries screaming in all CAPS

Lulz

How is he making the playoffs the next 4 years without Russell Wilson? Lulz

irfuben32

Reaction score
Hawaii-hawk":2p0v9k45 said:

BOOOM!

mic drop

sprhawk73

Reaction score
LTH":a0v31mbl said:
So man people are down on Carroll for not making the SB more than twice in the past 12 years...people say that he makes poor coaching choices... people say that they don't draft well or they don't pick good FA. The argument goes on and on... and for the record I dis agree with these people but...

The NFL is set up to keep things even... what would happen if Carroll just tanked it every 3 years and got a top ten draft? Is it not conceivable that Drafting in the bottom 3rd of the league has to be a factor... I can't think of anyone besides BB that maintained a team that has enjoyed success drafting in the bottom 3rd and as seen in the last 2 years a lot of that success was due to Tom Brady...

what would happen if Carroll just tanked it every 3 years and got a top ten draft every 3 years?

LTH

I think his familiarity with college players was a large part of his success.

Russ was the big gamble and is the reason for our success. RW is doing the same thing that Brady did for the Pats. Elevating players, overcoming the odds and winning despite the teams inadequacies. I think the only difference between RW and Brady is character and a willingness to cheat.

In a way the NFL reflects the world, people that are willing to do anything to win. The sad part is the NFL perpetuates it by not properly enforcing their own rules. It's reminiscent of online gaming's inability to combat cheaters.

We might not be winning super bowls but at least we have the high morale ground. We all know we really won in 2005. I didn't like that we had to resort to LOB standards in order to win but that's the way it's designed.

The owner of a company I worked for used illegal immigrants, she said they had to in order to stay in business because their competitors were.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Fade":3asmqyri said:
Flyingsquad23":3asmqyri said:

Lulz

How is he making the playoffs the next 4 years without Russell Wilson? Lulz

Well for one I don’t think Russ is going anywhere. And even if that day comes this board seems to be 100 that the only way back to the SB is with any game manager on a rookie contract.
So in short my Hope is he will make it next 4 years just to SPITE the gloom and doom crew here that thinks the only success is perfection.
But what do I know, you’re the expert…